• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, please do tell what you mean then cause I don't own Hyrule Historica but it seems it has a lot of extra information about Impa in it. Which is funny I never really knew cause actually, it makes her quite a lot more likely.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
There's not much on Impa. I'm only posting the interesting ones.

Foreword: some general information
Shigeru Miyamoto said:
The old female storyteller who feeds information to Zelda is named Impa; her name comes from the word impart. Impa, Link & Zelda were the guardians of the triforce. Today, when you think of characters who are connected to the Triforce, you think of Link, Zelda, and Ganon, but that started in Ocarina of Time. Originally Ganon was only a villain in relentless pursuit of the Triforce.
Can't say I entirely agree with it starting in OoT, since Ganon actually stole the Triforce of Power in the first game.

Skyward Sword section
; this is about Skyward Sword Design.
Kaneko said:
For young Impa we referenced Impa and Sheik from Ocarina of Time. We also gave her an androgynous look, like a male role in an opera. The aging Impa's costume also follows the passage of time, and her entire body is dressed to reflect that. Her pendulum braid measures time, ticking away the seconds, and her entiretriangular robe she wears becomes a sundial, with her age being measured by the braids in her hair.
Nothing else interesting, but one funny one
one concepts for Impaz shows Old man Impa.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So basically Impa represents Old Men and Old Women of the original Zelda game? :)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So basically Impa represents Old Men and Old Women of the original Zelda game? :)
Actually, that could only influence her moveset potential! You know how the Old Man throws fire balls at you if you attack him for example?

Gibdo, I knew that Impa was part of the original Triforce trinity, but it's cool to read the exact text now. Could this mean that Impa could possibly even be styled as a power character even? Or take some portion of the moveset Ganondorf had in Melee and Brawl? Think the Up Smash for example. Down Smash is also a posibility.

Old Impa being so influenced by time also gave me inspiration of giving her a time-based attack with the Timeshift Orb. Which is a reference in name only to the Timeshift Orbs in Skyward Sword, but is a different magical attack much like Zelda's spells. It would involve Impa throwing a magical ball attack that slows down time like the Timer item. With such heavy emphasyse on time travelling in both of her major appearances ; Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time, it wouldn't be farfetched at all.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Gibdo, I knew that Impa was part of the original Triforce trinity, but it's cool to read the exact text now. Could this mean that Impa could possibly even be styled as a power character even? Or take some portion of the moveset Ganondorf had in Melee and Brawl? Think the Up Smash for example. Down Smash is also a posibility.
While she's a guardian of the Triforce, I think she isn't directly connected to a specific of the three Triforces.
Like I said, even in the first game Ganon is associated with Triforce of Power. Zelda split and hid the Triforce of Wisdom. Link got the Triforce of Courage in Zelda II. Impa has never had a direct connection to any of them.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The reactions are gonna be priceless for sure. And I love that gif man!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The reactions are gonna be priceless for sure. And I love that gif man!
Also, Diddy, you'd be proud. There's been Impa discussion in the Roster Prediction Discussion Thread recently without you being there.

I mean, you made some people hate the idea, but those that you convinced you convinced.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Also, Diddy, you'd be proud. There's been Impa discussion in the Roster Prediction Discussion Thread recently without you being there.

I mean, you made some people hate the idea, but those that you convinced you convinced.
Really now? I jokingly said that there would be Impa discussions in my absence but it actually happened eh? Cool. Saw it happen once before to. Some of my better friends here on Smashboards also are quite fond of the idea of Impa, for example Manly, Kuma and N3ON. They can debate Impa quite fiercly to. Though N3ON still wants Sheik to stay (I think). So yes, I know of the influence, and I take it as a small compliment.

But to be honest, people where actually quite HAPPY I came back and my first post was like: 'New year [Impa image] New Impa'. :laugh: Guess it has become one of the most heated Smash discussions aside from Ridley's size. And of course, Fire Emblem.

It's cool to see such an influence because of my opinion. What's funny however is that most just prefer to rely on my logic as 'relevancy arguements' and see me as a 'replacement happy hippy' of sorts. :rolleyes:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Really now? I jokingly said that there would be Impa discussions in my absence but it actually happened eh? Cool. Saw it happen once before to. Some of my better friends here on Smashboards also are quite fond of the idea of Impa, for example Manly, Kuma and N3ON. They can debate Impa quite fiercly to. Though N3ON still wants Sheik to stay (I think). So yes, I know of the influence, and I take it as a small compliment.

But to be honest, people where actually quite HAPPY I came back and my first post was like: 'New year [Impa image] New Impa'. :laugh: Guess it has become one of the most heated Smash discussions aside from Ridley's size. And of course, Fire Emblem.

It's cool to see such an influence because of my opinion. What's funny however is that most just prefer to rely on my logic as 'relevancy arguements' and see me as a 'replacement happy hippy' of sorts. :rolleyes:
To be fair, you do come across as overly sure of Impa sometimes.

I love you, but.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nah am not overly sure, am just confident she's a lot more likely than people would admit. Am quite sure Impa is the most likely candidate for a Zelda newcomer. And if the Phantom indeed is a move for Zelda, and Sheik is out, think Impa is all the more likely. Even if Sheik is back as a separate character (which I doubt will happen) it would only increase the chances of there being a clone character of her. Or at least, semi clone.

Things are looking up for Impa, and am glad I've sticked through with her for so long.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Nah am not overly sure, am just confident she's a lot more likely than people would admit. Am quite sure Impa is the most likely candidate for a Zelda newcomer. And if the Phantom indeed is a move for Zelda, and Sheik is out, think Impa is all the more likely. Even if Sheik is back as a separate character (which I doubt will happen) it would only increase the chances of there being a clone character of her. Or at least, semi clone.

Things are looking up for Impa, and am glad I've sticked through with her for so long.
I hope to see her playable. If not mainly for your sake.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I actually would love to see a picture of Peach, Rosalina, Zelda, and Impa all together on the SSB4 website... would be awesome to have two important female characters from both series together in Smash. :)

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I just want some change for the zelda representation, we cant keep perpetuating the past with sheik. You gotta break a few eggs to move forward, and impa is easily the most awesome potential zelda rep we have (although id like ghirahim too). I think people are just to accustomed to what we have with past games that they want all that unchanged forever, well i dont, i want new things to look forward too and for sheiks moveset this is the best course of action since that character has hit a brick wall as far as games after OOT, and impa is only getting more and more prevalent. It bugs me to no end to see people assuming and wanting toon zelda and the like before we could get a new character, thats so dull to me, and i know what im saying doesnt go over well with folks but its just the way i feel.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That's how I feel, too... the same goes for Fire Emblem and Pokemon.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I just want some change for the zelda representation, we cant keep perpetuating the past with sheik. You gotta break a few eggs to move forward, and impa is easily the most awesome potential zelda rep we have (although id like ghirahim too). I think people are just to accustomed to what we have with past games that they want all that unchanged forever, well i dont, i want new things to look forward too and for sheiks moveset this is the best course of action since that character has hit a brick wall as far as games after OOT, and impa is only getting more and more prevalent. It bugs me to no end to see people assuming and wanting toon zelda and the like before we could get a new character, thats so dull to me, and i know what im saying doesnt go over well with folks but its just the way i feel.
Is it a new thing if Impa has the same moveset? That would honestly feel like more of a disappointment to me, if Sheik got cut only to be replaced by a character with the same moves. I'd feel as if I got shafted a newcomer. Of course, this might not have been what you meant.
I don't think anyone wants Impa to have the exact moveset as Sheik.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Is it a new thing if Impa has the same moveset? That would honestly feel like more of a disappointment to me, if Sheik got cut only to be replaced by a character with the same moves. I'd feel as if I got shafted a newcomer. Of course, this might not have been what you meant.
I don't think anyone wants Impa to have the exact moveset as Sheik.
Well there would be changes, ditch the whip and what not, while adding some new magic based or impa specific specials. Change enough to where it felt fresh, but also enough similar aspects to where the sheik mains could have something to fall back into place with. And most of all a character that could continue to grow and gain things with the series for each installment.

Sure sheik doesnt have to go, but i also want zelda to stand on her own as well, and i can only see that as the best course of action without having two zeldas where they were once one.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Fans of the superiour Sheikah, with Zelda's half moveset being revealed, what does this do for Impa's chances in your opinion?

Seeing she has all her specials revealed outside of Transform, I think this still means Impa's chances are good. No news on the Phantom either, which hints to me he's far more than just a regular AT.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No mather if Sheik actually returns or not, Toon Zelda's chances took a big blow with the reveal of the Phantom. Doesn't matter if it's an attack for Zelda or an AT. It's cutting down Toon Zelda's chances considerably. And thus Impa becomes a much more likely newcomer for the Zelda series.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
No mather if Sheik actually returns or not, Toon Zelda's chances took a big blow with the reveal of the Phantom. Doesn't matter if it's an attack for Zelda or an AT. It's cutting down Toon Zelda's chances considerably. And thus Impa becomes a much more likely newcomer for the Zelda series.
Too bad Tingle is more important. :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If you wanna get so specific, then why again is Sheik so important? By your logic, think it would be best to cut Sheik, and add both Tingle and Impa.

In all actuality, Old Impa could also become a potential Smash character if she'd have re-occuring roles with major importance, and some abilities of her own. She could be a very nice concept as a character actually. A sort of druid or summoner character of sorts. Very frail and light, but strong magical attacks. Or some ****.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If you wanna get so specific, then why again is Sheik so important? By your logic, think it would be best to cut Sheik, and add both Tingle and Impa.
Sheik is important because she is important to Smash.
Cutting Sheik for Impa is idiotic, it's like cutting Ice Climbers because they've only appeared in one game.
Yes, Tingle and Impa are more important than Sheik in the Zelda franchise, but given the fact that Sheik has become a Smash Bros staple there's no use cutting her.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Let's look at facts here. The only characters who've been cut in history of Smash, where characters from well represented series. Melee lost, Young Link, Dr.Mario, Pichu, Mewtwo and Roy. All series had ample reprentation in Melee, especially Zelda, Mario and Pokémon. It seems to me most likely that they'd cut a character from those series again (except for the really important ones) than a sole representative than Ice Climbers. Snake could still be gone to however.

With Sheik cut or not, Impa still has a good shot of getting in if they are looking for a Zelda newcomer. Just still don't agree with her being a staple yet, the series isn't as large yet. If she makes it in this time, that'd be another story.

andimidna

Smash Master
I wouldn't mind Impa at all. She's my 3rd most wanted Zelda character. I prefer Midna and Ghirahim. I think it would be neat to see Link transform into Wolf Link and have Midna on his back, and that'd be how you play as Midna. But I hope either Ghirahim or Impa takes the 5th Zelda slot. And I definitely think Zelda deserves and is more likely to receive a 5th slot opposed to just the 4 from Brawl.

I do not, however, support Impa replacing Sheik. Sheik is sometimes my main, Zelda is sometimes my main, I switch off from time to time, and that mechanic being removed so Impa could take Sheik's moves would not be exciting or worth doing. Sheik is the 4th most popular Zelda character, so she better be back. If the transformation mechanic was gone I'd probably just drop the 2 as my main and go to Rosalina for a new main.

I want Impa to have magic based attacks dissimilar to Zelda, and she'd only be similar to Sheik regarding speed and agility.
Zelda Roster choices Roster.png

Either of these is what I want from the Zelda series.
One has the most requested
One has the most important

I'd be totally fine with either, I'd even be fine with Toon Zelda/ Tetra or Vaati as the 5th rep, hell even Twinrova or someone from the Lorule trio could take the spot and I'd be happy. But I see Impa as a good possibility for representation and importance.
And if Wolf Link and Midna were added as part of Link, the one-time popular Zelda character concept is getting represented.
Since Sheik is part of Zelda, and ZSS was added to Samus so late in the series, it's possible. We've never really had a one-time character get their own slot, but that doesn't mean much.
Impa and Midna would make great new female additions, and could be very unique. So I support this. Impa is very important in the series, and so is the concept of companions. I could easily see both being in Zelda U.

The Zelda series is awesome.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Whoa didn't even see this last post! Nice to see more support here.

Am still thinking Impa has a very great chance of getting in actually!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I personally wouldn't mind Impa over Sheik. Both would be great, but to me it seems Phantom will be Zelda's Down B. And personally, I wouldn't want a separate slot for Sheik.

andimidna

Smash Master
The Phantom Zelda has been confirmed to be an Assist Trophy by the animation Zelda is doing next to it matching her assist trophy summon from Brawl.
Plus, it wouldn't make sense in her moveset anyways. And if it was a move, it would be in the pic of Link and Peach.
I think it's safe to assume it's an assist.
Plus Sheik has already been hinted at through the pre-transformation pose pics.
Impa is better off with a magic based moveset, with gimmicky magic and warping, being extremely speedy and agile, and that sort of thing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There's a lot of creativity to be done with Impa yes. That I agree with. After seeing Rosalina, everyone should get itmout of their minds that Impa should be anywhere similar to Sheik. Thing is, will that actually happen, if Sheik would be cut in the process?

It's not Zelda'a AT release pose. If so, where is the AT when Zelda does that pose in the pic with Link and Peach? And why is Zelda still in that pose when the Phantom is already attacking? I doubt Phantom would be anywhere near a fast attack, let alone this sort of speeds! Also, ATs, when summoned drop from the sky. So that would mean Zelda would do her release animation all the time while Phantom drops from the sky and even finds the time to land a blow on Fox? Not so sure about that.

Famitsu also made a comment that the Phantom seems to be a new attack, and that the Sheik transformation may not happen. If you didn't know, Famitsu gave a lot of infprmation about Brawl before it's release. Am taking this as quite a blow to Sheik's chances. And if so, Impa is quite more likely.

andimidna

Smash Master
The comparison pic I saw from Brawl actually didn't have an assist in it.
Think of say...... Grey Fox.
He jumps straight up and out of the picture.
Or even Samurai Goroh, he starts swinging his sword immediately. Just like Phantom Zelda would.
Famitsu doesn't have any inside information, do they?
From what I heard, all they said was that it was possible. But they weren't sure. They were just saying it might happen. They don't know. Or at least, nothing we don't know.
Assist is the much more likely placement for Phantom Zelda.

If Sheik was cut, the hype would be killed. People would rage.
If Impa was just a clone, the hype would be killed. People would rage.

Impa needs her magic. Not whips. Not needles. Not swords.
She is an agile magic-weilder, and if she's portrayed otherwise in Smash Bros I'd be disappointed in the development team.
Sometimes I think that only a few on the team have actually played a Zelda game.
-Young Link as his own slot?
-Zelda uses Link's magic?
-Twilight Princess Zelda can turn into Sheik?
-Toon Sheik was supposed to be playable? (Biggest WTF of them all)
-Ganondorf uses cloned magic from a race car driver? And not a sword?
-Toon Link is a clone of Twilight Princess Link? TWICE?
-Instead of transforming into Wolf Link, Twilight Princess Link's Final Smash locks you into 2 triforces and he hits you with a sword just like most of his attacks?
-Sheik can use the light arrow?
-Tingle's assist throws hammers?
-All of them are on the **** TIER? THEY HAVE THE TRIFORCE, DAMMIT!
Not to mention what they got wrong on the character trophies:
  • On the Aryll trophy, the description says she has a "Turtle marked Telescope." Her telescope is actually seagull-marked.
  • Darknuts has been an enemy in the Zelda franchise since the very first game, yet the trophy lists its only appearance is in Twilight Princess.
  • Midna's left hand is miscoloured grey on the Wolf Link trophy, despite the rest of her arm being the correct black.
Not all of these are huge deals, but it pisses me off to see my favorite series so mis-represented.
I can't believe people actually support Toon Zelda getting the 5th slot.
That is by far the worst possible scenario.

Link
Zelda/ Sheik
Clone of CFalcon
Clone of Link
Clone of Zelda

Agh! No! No, no, no!

I want:

Link/ Wolf Link and Midna
Zelda/ Sheik
Ganondorf/ Ganon
Impa or Ghirahim
Toon Link