• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I honestly think Tingle has more of a chance than Impa at this point.
I don't. He seems quite likely to return as an AT. The fact he hasn't been revealed yet may have to do with that there are many new Zelda ATs this time around. I honestly doubt his inclusion cause of Villager's Up B, ever since the beginning.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I don't. He seems quite likely to return as an AT. The fact he hasn't been revealed yet may have to do with that there are many new Zelda ATs this time around. I honestly doubt his inclusion cause of Villager's Up B, ever since the beginning.
There are much better reasons to doubt his inclusion. Outside of Tingle's Balloon Fight DS, Tingle's balloon doesn't really act anything like Balloon Fighter's or Villager's. That sounds like 'Villager glove = no Little Mac' reasoning to me.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I don't. He seems quite likely to return as an AT. The fact he hasn't been revealed yet may have to do with that there are many new Zelda ATs this time around.
I dont even think he might return as that this time around either with the amount of zelda stuff we already have, his gimmick of a random affect could be given to many other characters. And in that case id be fine with it

As for Impa, well a skin for sheik or at least a trophy is better then nothing i suppose at this point.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I'm feeling that, with the Skull Kid AT not dropping the moon and no sign of Tingle yet, we might see the return of Great Bay from Melee.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am doubting it. I wouldn't mind seeing the stage return of course, but it not being in Brawl has hurt it's chances quite a lot.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
He also have a big group of people that hate him, IMO he will come back as an AT or we will get Great Bay stage back

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Thing is, Tingle wouldn't quite fit with the TP-styled cast. And his role in WW isn't exactly too great. Think it's most likely we'll see him back as an AT to. Or he'll just be absent all togheter. Which I would be fine with.

Been thinking though... What if Impa would serve as a sort of inbetween style between Zelda and Sheik, for the lack of Zelda / Sheik transformation? Think about it... Barriers, magical attacks (Zelda's Specials) and ninja movements? I really could see potential in this!

Or am I just pushing this too far..? Anyway, I'd still really like Impa to happen despite the odds.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Thing is, Tingle wouldn't quite fit with the TP-styled cast. And his role in WW isn't exactly too great.[/collapse]
Toon Link doesn't exactly fit in with the TP-styled cast. He's still in.

Been thinking though... What if Impa would serve as a sort of inbetween style between Zelda and Sheik, for the lack of Zelda / Sheik transformation? Think about it... Barriers, magical attacks (Zelda's Specials) and ninja movements? I really could see potential in this!

Or am I just pushing this too far..? Anyway, I'd still really like Impa to happen despite the odds.
I'd like it, but it's a stretch.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
They did put in Falco in Melee to appeal to fans who liked Fox in Smash 64 after all. It could have a chance as a concept. Impa would make an ideal middle ground playstyle between Zelda and Sheik. Zelda / Sheik was the very first transformation character anyway.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Either Ocarina or Skyward Impa is fine with me since both OoT and SS were referenced in this title.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
With transformation characters gone, I wouldn't mind if they replaced Sheik with a Skyward Sword themed Impa. I can see it happening in future installments.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Same here. If Sheik continues to be absent in future Zelda installments, but Impa keeps showing up, and as a ninja with fighting powers / skills I could indeed see them doing just that. Guess Sheik just got extremely lucky that OoT3D had a semi-recent release. And they are using TP designs (which I feel sucks... I would've LOVED SS Link & Zelda, SS Impa, WW Toon Link and WW Ganondorf, twin blades and all).

Let us see what Hyrule Warriors brings. Impa is in it, but if Sheik also shows up she might be bull****ted in yet again next time....

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
As long as Ocarina of Time keeps getting remakes. Sheik is going to live on. :troll:
Ironically, it's gonna keep Impa alive to. However, she will likely still appear in other titles, unlike Sheik.

Am personally hoping that we've seen the end of Ocarina of Time remakes with OOT3D. Let them remake some other games for a change. Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country SNES triology, Super Mario World, just about any F-Zero game...

Still hoping for Impa to appear in Zelda Wii U. That could be the dealbreaker...

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
hyrule_warriors_scan.jpg

Probably won't mean much in the long run, but eh, nice to see a solid confirmation of her.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
They really should have cut Sheik for Impa this time around. Don't get me wrong, I love Sheik, but Impa is more deserving of the spot. Maybe we can still get Impa as a costume?

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
By reading LaniusShrike's opening post, I developed a theory. Thanks LaniusShrike! I hope a similar theory has not been posted. Some ideas here were also inspired by various forums and posts. Anyway, what if the TLoZ characters were kept TP style because of Sheik? Possibly, as someone posted somewhere, Mr. Sakurai thinks Sheik warrants a spot in SSB because Sheik remains important as an SSB character, not a TLoZ character. But why do the TLoZ characters remain TP style? Why not a new style? Perhaps, because Sheik probably only has a TP design, so all other TLoZ characters were made similarly (to match). What could falsify this theory is the idea that Mr. Sakurai could have asked for a new Sheik design to match Skyward Sword or any style he required. Another perspective I've read is that princess Zelda was kept TP-style because the SS Zelda design did not seem appropriate for a combat game. Maybe the TP designs were deemed the most appealing for SSB4.
Here's another question: why was Sheik not replaced with Impa? Perhaps, Sheik has become too important in SSB itself to warrant a replacement with anyone, even the similar, relevant, and more original Impa. Perhaps Mr. Sakurai would never replace any character with another. Impa as a costume probably would never happen, since, despite the obvious possibilities, Mr. Sakurai avoids using alternate characters as costumes, since he probably feels most characters should not be treated as costumes (palette references, like Peach's Daisy palette, are different). Even removing the "Transform" move which bonded Sheik and Zelda is not enough to switch Sheik with Impa. But, perhaps, removing the bond of "Transform" foreshadows the replacement of Sheik in the next SSB if Impa becomes popular enough. Removing "Transform" could have been to simply give Zelda and Sheik new moves, or because Mr. Sakurai precisely wants to ease the Sheik-Impa switch if Impa becomes more popular by the next SSB. The idea of easing changes from game to game came from a user on the Ganondorf thread. But would Mr. Sakurai ever consider replacing one character with an entirely different one? I do not think so, but I do not know what could happen. Sheik does seem to be in a unique situation as a SSB character.

Last edited:

bobadz

Smash Ace
I was just about to post that Impa's pretty much confirmed to be playable in Hyrule warriors if it makes you feel any better.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Woah! Thanks for reminding me to look at the photo, bobadz! She seems like a fusion of SS and OoT Impa! And who are all those other characters? One of them is a lady! Is this finally a new prominent TLoZ lady character, or a Dynasty Warriors guest? I now foolishly guess she is a redesigned Veran-I called it first! 5/20/2014 8:37 PM!

andimidna

Smash Master
Well, I think Impa does have a shot still, it's just that the chances are low. I never thought she was going to replace Sheik, at all, but I was over-confident in her, so that's the only reason I'm doubting her now. Her Hyrule Warriors design is great and is exactly how I said it would look.
Oh, and I'll guess the villain has a relation to the Twili race- or is a... possessed Midna- called it. (Veran is a good guess btw, but her current name is Shia, we just don't know her story)

I hope to see some Impa vs Shia gameplay at E3 :smirk:

Important to note: This re-design is badass, therefore she may finally reach a full fanbase. It's like Nintendo realized they used to put her in the lamest roles and decided to try to get people to actually like the character in SS and well, now. (She was alright in OoT though)
More fans=better chance next time

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Impa looks amazing in Hyrule Warriors. I kid you not.

I'm more interested in the 'unexpected' playable characters (:p), but Impa is becoming Zelda's Rosalina at this rate.

Last edited:

chronomantic

Smash Ace
How canon will Hyrule Warriors be? the way I see it Impa being playable as the 'captain of the Royal Army and wielder of a giant sword' means she's not necessarily being considered as a ninja/Shiek-like character. She may have an actual shot.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
How canon will Hyrule Warriors be? the way I see it Impa being playable as the 'captain of the Royal Army and wielder of a giant sword' means she's not necessarily being considered as a ninja/Shiek-like character. She may have an actual shot.
If Zoras, Gorons become playable too (As Anouma stated that he's astounded by the number of characters),I don't think it really changes Impa's stance, although being the first revealed (technically second) character in Zelda is something of notice.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
If Zoras, Gorons become playable too (As Anouma stated that he's astounded by the number of characters),I don't think it really changes Impa's stance, although being the first revealed (technically second) character in Zelda is something of notice.
I get what you mean but as I read the description the role she's playing in that game is not that of some random Zora or Goron but the Captain of the Royal Army, so not only she's still an important character in the Zelda universe but apparently she was upgraded.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
This may or may not be canon. It is considered a Spin-off from what I've heard.

Last edited:

Speculator

Smash Ace
I was never really a fan of Impa's OOT or SS designs, but this looks great. They've taken the best bits from both. Very excited to see more of HW.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Impa needs to be in now plus she has a sword, a giant one at that which will actually set her apart from sheik also I think now she has a much bigger chance to be shown at E3 along with a hyrule warriors trailer featuring her
By reading LaniusShrike's opening post, I developed a theory. Thanks LaniusShrike! I hope a similar theory has not been posted. Some ideas here were also inspired by various forums and posts. Anyway, what if the TLoZ characters were kept TP style because of Sheik? Possibly, as someone posted somewhere, Mr. Sakurai thinks Sheik warrants a spot in SSB because Sheik remains important as an SSB character, not a TLoZ character. But why do the TLoZ characters remain TP style? Why not a new style? Perhaps, because Sheik probably only has a TP design, so all other TLoZ characters were made similarly (to match). What could falsify this theory is the idea that Mr. Sakurai could have asked for a new Sheik design to match Skyward Sword or any style he required. Another perspective I've read is that princess Zelda was kept TP-style because the SS Zelda design did not seem appropriate for a combat game. Maybe the TP designs were deemed the most appealing for SSB4.
Here's another question: why was Sheik not replaced with Impa? Perhaps, Sheik has become too important in SSB itself to warrant a replacement with anyone, even the similar, relevant, and more original Impa. Perhaps Mr. Sakurai would never replace any character with another. Impa as a costume probably would never happen, since, despite the obvious possibilities, Mr. Sakurai avoids using alternate characters as costumes, since he probably feels most characters should not be treated as costumes (palette references, like Peach's Daisy palette, are different). Even removing the "Transform" move which bonded Sheik and Zelda is not enough to switch Sheik with Impa. But, perhaps, removing the bond of "Transform" foreshadows the replacement of Sheik in the next SSB if Impa becomes popular enough. Removing "Transform" could have been to simply give Zelda and Sheik new moves, or because Mr. Sakurai precisely wants to ease the Sheik-Impa switch if Impa becomes more popular by the next SSB. The idea of easing changes from game to game came from a user on the Ganondorf thread. But would Mr. Sakurai ever consider replacing one character with an entirely different one? I do not think so, but I do not know what could happen. Sheik does seem to be in a unique situation as a SSB character.
I think they kept that style because of ganondorf as well as sheik, also we haven't seen zelda wii u yet for all we know it's a TP sequel and that's why he's using these designs

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Impa needs to be in now plus she has a sword, a giant one at that which will actually set her apart from sheik also I think now she has a much bigger chance to be shown at E3 along with a hyrule warriors trailer featuring her
Ninja sword users that could be used for newcomers like Takamaru. :p

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
People still care about takamaru, I thought that died down a while ago, either way takamaru uses more of a samurai style which impa doesn't look to have
What can I say, not all character support movements die that easily. *looks at Ridley supporters*

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I think they kept that style because of ganondorf as well as sheik, also we haven't seen zelda wii u yet for all we know it's a TP sequel and that's why he's using these designs
I agree they did it to kept the TP designs for sheik and ganondorf's sake. But i highly doubt that those designs would carry over into a TP sequel, let alone our next zelda even looking like that. Aonuma already said the new game wouldnt look like that demo from before, which was straight up TP in design.

----
Seeing these scans of hyrule warriors really makes me wish even more that sakurai would have went with these designs instead. Im assuming he wasnt aware of this project at the time, but damn they look so much better, and impa looks especially good. I can only imagine how good ganondorf and zelda look. Any change to their design for ssb4 would have been nice, but alas, dreams crushed.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
So many posts to respond to! Well, I doubt the mysterious lady is Veran now, but it's not impossible.
Come on, Speculator! Impa was a muscular lady in OoT. That is uncommon and appreciably anti-stereotypical.
HylianHeroBigBoss excites me for a possible redesign of Ganondorf. Any kind of Ganondorf redesign is welcome! I'm sad they did not use Impa's straight knife from OoT, but the sword will be cool, since Ganondorf had a knife in OoT too. Ooh! What if Ganondorf adopts a sneaky thief role in ths game and uses his dagger for brutal assassinating (as he likely did to a certain someone)?
Thanks for the ideas, Sonicguy726.
Thanks to anyone who posted news.

Top Bottom