• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm ending my retirement to continue Melee, and Brawl is a terrible tourney game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexX

Smash Ace
How do these relate to Melee to Brawl? Compare the amount of players that started playing Melee, and the amount of players starting Brawl. Huge difference.
Does that mean changes will happen over night? No, it doesn't. We won't discover new things until people try new things, which not everyone is willing to do since most seem to just be taking the most widely accepted strategy for using a character without trying too much experimentation.

Angewomon

Smash Apprentice
I like to see people crying because Brawl isn´t a Melee 2.0, so funny.

Me, personally, I only need to watch YouTube videos for check fastly the competitive game.

Brawl is the perfect union between Smash 64 and Melee. Brawl is the perfect Super Smash Bros, I must say.

Enjoy playing the outdated Melee!

Finch

Smash Lord

Me, personally, I only need to watch YouTube videos for check fastly the competitive game.

Brawl is the perfect union between Smash 64 and Melee. Brawl is the perfect Super Smash Bros, I must say.

The game has been out for a month and it's competitiveness has only gotten worse. Please, show me these recent videos of top players that shows brawl developing in a positive direction, because we would all truly love to see them. All I've seen so far is gameplay evolving from awkwardness when no one knew how to play to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj6ZLFjtNVI&feature=related

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move

LOL. Even Smash 64 is better than Brawl.

Oh well, **** everyone in this thread(cept you Louis) Im not getting into another one of these arguments I just came to say YAY, CHADDDS BACK :D Now on with the awesome Gannon vids.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
That bodes even better for Brawl. It means within a couple years we will start getting the more advance techs people are seeking.

Granted, stuff doesn't happen overnight, but as long as people put effort into evolving the metagame, it will.

EDIT: Blah, ninja-edits do me in once again... Still, it shows that Melee's metagame didn't get to where it was within a month like people are expecting with Brawl. It took a couple years, so it's not unreasonable to expect Brawl to take the same amount of time.
It would have to be a very spectacular advanced technique that manages to repair this mess of camping and overly defensive play.

Also, you have to remember that SSB 64 had a tiny competitive scene going into Melee, and everyone was pretty much just playing for the fun of it, not to advance the meta game.

Now we have a huge scene with 7 years of competitive smash experience, that knows what to look for, and after 3 months it's already devolved into camping to win.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
haha I love seeing blind fanboys defend every thing said by Sakurai and saying everything about Brawl is perfect.

Do you think melee fans thought it was perfect? Why do you think we were so excited about a new game? Melee wasn't perfect and we accepted it, both its strengths and its flaws. Brawl fanboys need to learn to accept Brawl's flaws. You might have to change you perspective from Sakurai can do no wrong though...

also, Thanks Pink!

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Melee is Better Than Brawl

No, trust me, it's a reason. I made a list inside of a list to attempt to prove it:

-It's faster.

Please try not to take anything I say here too seriously, this is just what I think about it right now and I'm not trying to disagree with or argue with anyone. Thanks.
That is not edited, for people who didn't survive long enough to read down to there.
Don't reasons, good reasons, usually have reasoning?
There are over 9000 things wrong with that post, and I'm not posting them all.

Unfortunately, I must agree. Brawl is a garbage competitive game, and it will get even worse eventually.

Many people wonder how exactly the meta-game is going backwards. Well it's simple; we're getting smarter. People who play eventually realize that being offensive can easily get you punished, and using a projectile and simply waiting for the approach is way more effective. The drive towards "playing to win" is a key to the competitive aspect, regardless of any honorable acts.

I had a lot of faith in this game since E-For-All, but I regret playing the demo. Why? because it wouldn't hurt as much as it does now. Simply knowing that competitive aspects in the game existed, only to remove them completely and implement random elements and crippling game play. Who knew that when Nintendo was looking at us, it was only an attempt to betray their fans.

Nintendo has shown their quiddities towards the competitive community, people are just drowned in the sweet words of Sakurai, unable to realize how they mutilated the community. Or perhaps, they just don't care. We may not be the mass majority of smash bros players, but everyone counts when you taler a game towards everyone.

I still love this game, but I feel that I just took what Nintendo gave to me without a care. It's a horrible feeling, actually.

Cookiez

Smash Ace
Totally agree with you E p F.

Hopefully I think now that even the most hardcore Brawl fanboy knows that Brawl is an awful game for tourneys when compared to pretty much any competetive game, including Melee.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Happily the wii can read the melee disc, so you can choose which game you'll play.
If pro-melee fanbois weren't that stupid they wouldn't feel the need to post on the brawl section on why they prefer melee.

Seriously, I liked ps2 but hated ps3. Do I go whining on the ps3 forums about how crappy this console is ?
So please play to your favorite game and stop trying to convince people your choice is the best.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I think this calls for the Azen quote. Because its always nice to hear from someone who, you know, knows what he's talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmIckQF4QG8

Azen said:
I like how everyone in the Top 10 except me and Chillin hate Brawl. They all got so depressed when they went to brawl tournies hoping to win money easily then getting ***** instead. The only reason they want to go back to Melee is so they can win cash again. I wonder why they got ***** in Brawl, maybe its cause Brawl is way more competitive than Melee was. They were too cocky to realize that their Top positions might be in danger, and now they make excuses saying Brawl is too easy and anyone can win. No Jones losers. Maybe they should actually start practicing instead of wishing their Melee skill carried over to Brawl. Brawl is already super competitive, it won't be easy for anyone to get to the Top, so many people are trying to get good now; you can't be cocky just cause you were pro in Melee. Its a new game, not Melee 2.0.

Eventually most of the anti-brawlers will die off like with the 64 crowd. lol, just look at how depressed Isai was when he couldn't win everything anymore in Melee like in 64, and he just eventually gave up and stopped trying. Yall losers can stay in the past with Melee and 64, but right now is the time of Brawl and a new generation of smashers will take your place.
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=516492&topic=42348055&page=1

User33

Smash Journeyman
What a horrible thread. I'd be suprised it wasn't closed if mods weren't biased towards these threads and biased against any thread defending Brawl.

ellelaby

Smash Apprentice
Yeah but Brawl isn't Melee or Street Fighter.

I have definitely adjusted to the gameplay of Brawl and would rather play Brawl over Melee. To me, Melee just feels a little burnt out, its the same few characters that rule the game, just as there arent many good stages to choose from. There just isn't enough variety for me. So Brawl really suits someone like me that isnn't probably ever going to attend a real-life tourney as I've got higher priorities, though I might, one time =)

But Melee definitely has to get some tournaments. It would be pretty sad if it just stopped. Though I think Brawl will continue to be played by many people of course and also the Wifi promises online tournaments created by various message boards over the internet.

distr0ia

Smash Apprentice
lol human arrogance tells us we already know everything about the Brawl tourney scene after only a couple of months when even the rules aren't even set in stone yet

if you wanna stick to Melee and feel that it's the better game (or you just wanna stay in your safety zone and start winning again), then's that's entirely your decision and there's nothing wrong with that...but...why tell us? and furthermore, exactly who are you gonna play Melee against?

Raikage

Smash Apprentice
Yeah but Brawl isn't Melee or Street Fighter.

I have definitely adjusted to the gameplay of Brawl and would rather play Brawl over Melee. To me, Melee just feels a little burnt out, its the same few characters that rule the game, just as there arent many good stages to choose from. There just isn't enough variety for me. So Brawl really suits someone like me that isnn't probably ever going to attend a real-life tourney as I've got higher priorities, though I might, one time =)

But Melee definitely has to get some tournaments. It would be pretty sad if it just stopped. Though I think Brawl will continue to be played by many people of course and also the Wifi promises online tournaments created by various message boards over the internet.
\

This I agree with. After the vast array of options Brawl has, going back to the game I've played for 7 years or so just feels...Bland. The gameplay in Brawl is perfect for Brawl, it is slower but after playing it for a few weeks it feels totally natural.

Melee is going to lose it's relevance in under a year or so, much like N64 game did. People should stick with what they find enjoyable, but I find it kind of strange that people want to stick with melee for competition seeing how being the top melee player isn't going to mean much to anyome but the small community who stick with it. I think that a lot of people who claim they'll stick with melee will eventually move onto Brawl when they realise no-one cares whether they win in a tournament for an outdated game anymore.

Brawl is here, and most people have moved on with it. You either adapt or you fall into irrelevance.

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
to be honest: too much negative thoughts, I only read the first half

but why do you cry about spending so much money for Brawl. I mean... 2 copies of ssb64, 3 copies of melee and 3 copies of Brawl? Driving miles over miles to play this game? Why do you even need so many copies?

I play the same old melee disk for like 5 years

Eggm

Smash Hero
Glad to have you back chaddddd. I never got to play you so it woulda been a shame if you quit already. :)

I have one thing to say about this. If brawl were such a great game and better than melee(Talking tourney play here). There wouldn't be 10 million topics like this. Or half the pro community still playing melee. It would have completely taken over already. Brawl is boring theres no way around it. Melee ftw.

ADHD

Smash Hero
If you guys want technical why not just go to the peach boards?

She really has to be the most technical in the game.

SynikaL

Smash Lord
lol. While Azen is great at video games he's most definitely no paragon of logic or application of common sense. He does have a point that some players simply do not like change, but the idea behind Brawl being a sh*tty competitive fighting game is easily enough pillared by empirical observations of the game's mechanics and the philosophies that govern them, to address any blanket generalization about Brawl detractors.

I mean seriously, last time I checked Isai was pretty decent at Melee.

-Syn

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Stop making these threads, scubs that never played Melee will just keep rating them 1 star, and it will just spark a never ending debate. Sure Melee is better than Brawl, it's more fun. Let these scrubs defend Brawl, they'll eventually get bored of it, abandon it, and the Melee scene will still be there. Oh well, looks like it's back to waiting for the next Smash game for me!

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Another thing, look at the post count of most people that defend Brawl.

Korpocalypse

Smash Journeyman
come on now the game hasn't seen 1 month yet
1 month! And you're already whining about how it's not deep enough and it's too defensive and blah blah blaaah
come back in a year when this game is really figured out

Cookiez

Smash Ace
lol. While Azen is great at video games he's most definitely no paragon of logic or application of common sense. He does have a point that some players simply do not like change, but the idea behind Brawl being a sh*tty competitive fighting game is easily enough pillared by empirical observations of the game's mechanics and the philosophies that govern them, to address any blanket generalization about Brawl detractors.

-Syn
QFTMFT.

But to the post above me, though I agree that Melee is the superior game, I guess people have their own oppinions on that though.

Post count can't really be taken for much anymore due to the three word post spams regularly seen on these boards nowadays :laugh:. Its much easier to say, "do you have any competetive experience", and if it's a "no" yet their still arguing how Brawl is a better or on par with melee in terrms of competition just flat out ignore them :p.

EDIT: Korpocalypse, it really doesn't make too much difference that we've only been Brawling for a month or two. Lack of hitstun/shieldstun will never, ever be eliminated, paving the way for campfests.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion

-Syn
The only thing necessary for a competitive game is for people to... compete. Competitiveness is nothing more or less than than the drive to win. It's a state of mind. Is Brawl lacking in players with a competitive spirit? Me thinks not.

Does it require less technical skill? Perhaps. But if it means more people can... COMPETE in touraments that makes it a MORE competitive game. Pretty ironic, actually.

Stop making these threads, scubs that never played Melee will just keep rating them 1 star, and it will just spark a never ending debate. Sure Melee is better than Brawl, it's more fun. Let these scrubs defend Brawl, they'll eventually get bored of it, abandon it, and the Melee scene will still be there. Oh well, looks like it's back to waiting for the next Smash game for me!
Different people find different things fun, to be sure. But no one method of attaining "fun" is superior to another. It matters not whether you play by tourament rules or a coin match on New Pork City, as long as you enjoy it. Videogames serve no other purpose than the enjoyment we recieve from them, after all.

But I would be willing to wager that Brawl is more fun for more people. As crazy as it sounds, scientifically measuring who has more gameplay experience is not the only way to have fun.

Totally. Because people with low post counts can't have valid opinions.

Also, double posting is against forum rules. Genius.

Korpocalypse

Smash Journeyman
You don't seem to understand the implications of hitstun, move degradation and just how much of an advantage the player on defence has. It is going to lead to defensive games where neither party will want to approach and you will have to force your opponent into messing up or making it so they have to approach.
I don't think you know how move degradation works
read the thread on move degradation;
you have to hit them with other moves in order to regain the strength of moves
that sounds confusing
i use move A alot, i'm going to have to use moves b and c to regain move A's strength
move un-degradation (probably not a word) requires hitting with other moves, and gives no advantage to campers

EDIT: well cockiez i guess since you're a prophet and can predict the future of brawl, you should probably stop playing games alltogether and save the world from future alien attacks and such

Lant

Smash Journeyman
Your point being?

When was it ever stated that Smash Bros was the pinnacle of tournament level fighting games?

I personally prefer Brawl, one simple reason being, counters and tactics work.

Besides, if you've played virtually every fighting game in the last 10 years at tournament level, you would understand that games like DOA and such rank highly above Smash Bros, as they are partly designed for it, it's hard to believe what you say when you complain so much about Brawls engine, which is vastly superior in every way to Melee.

Again, Smash Bros is not designed to be a 'blistering fast tournament level fighting game'. It's a party game.

TL;DR Enjoy your

Evelgest

Smash Apprentice
Oh no, look at my post count! Maybe if I get on my knees and talk, maybe that'll get your attention!

Seriously? Just because some people have low post counts doesn't mean they can't form an valid argument. I'm sick of these generalizations. "Look at their post counts! They must be scrubs who've never played Melee! Ignore their opinions altogether!" Well, I've been playing since the 64 days, thank you very much. I have another account I made back in '04.. just don't remember the password.

Please define competitiveness. As long as people are willing to compete, Brawl will always be competitive. Sure, maybe Melee is more competitive, but that just doesn't make Brawl not competitive at all. Is Melee really more fun? How many characters from Melee were used competitively? And, as of now, how many Brawl characters are viable in competitive play? Don't agree with me? That's because your fun and my fun are different. It's just how it works.

If you want competition, consider arcade style fighters. You forget that this is NINTENDO we're talking about. Melee was a oneshot.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Better hope Sakurai returns.
If not, you're just gonna get Brawl 2.0
LOL@ the cycle beginning all over again.

SynikaL

Smash Lord
The only thing necessary for a competitive game is for people to... compete. Competitiveness is nothing more or less than than the drive to win. It's a state of mind. Is Brawl lacking in players with a competitive spirit? Me thinks not.

Does it require less technical skill? Perhaps. But if it means more people can... COMPETE in touraments that makes it a MORE competitive game. Pretty ironic, actually.

Of course, no one's arguing Brawl won't be competitive. If Humanity's inclinations can turn hitting stones with Bonzai branches into the MLB, Brawl will be competitive. Fvcking marbles/ can be competitive. Doesn't mean the numerous criticism leveled against the game's mechanics are not valid.

-Kimosabae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom