• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

im confused

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion
the first tournament i went to was 32 people strong and held what i thought to be the majority of the best smashers in n.c. i placed 7th. this led me to believe that i had a decent falco that could pull off most of the advanced techs but could use some improvement. during the tournament i lost first round to a pikachu, then beat a meta player, a samus player, and a marth player before losing to the same pikachu again. so later on, at school i was talknig about the tournament and everyone was giving me the usual crap about how they are good and i am bad, even though they have never played the game. apparently one of them does play the game. he told me to come over to his house to brawl it up and thats where my *** got destroyed. i took 2 matches from him out of 15. it was pathetic. he played the gayest wario ever. no johns, but he spammed f-smash and i could not punish it. he also avoided my smashes until 200% on average. i would always take the damage given award but that doesnt count for anything. i dont even know what im looking for. i mean this guy had a smash iq of nothing. he didnt even know about chaingrabbing until i showed him. he did know about rolling and the c stick. im just looking for some tips against wario's f-smash or opinions on my situation. is this guy better that me or does his game trump my game. for example snake is better than dk(according to the tier list), but dk ***** snake(based on match ups)

ftl

Smash Journeyman
It has nothing to do with the tier list, and I really don't think it has anything to do with the fact that he was playing Wario.

It has everything to do with playing smart, which you probably weren't doing. You might be better at the technical stuff, but if you're not playing smart it doesn't help. Based on your description, the guy has a fine smash IQ, he just hasn't spent any time looking at the technical skill aspect of it.

Go back to the basics - DON'T GET HIT. Don't worry if don't worry about him avoiding your smashes until 200; you have a bair and an uair that can happily kill Wario by that percentage. Worry about hitting him while not getting hit yourself. If he keeps hitting you with his fsmash, stay out of range of it! Falco has lasers, make him approach you. If he keeps rolling, predict the rolls and punish. Don't get impatient and go for smashes that won't hit.

...or, in general, read http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=160643 , it's relevant.

J4pu

Smash Champion
were any of the people that you beat at the tournament significantly well-known smashers? Being surrounded by greats doesn't matter if you get matched up with scrubs.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Often I find that after playing at an intense level against some decent smashers it puts me into a high standard of play. Now when I'm at this standard and versing my friends (who aren't exactly that good) I sometimes don't do as well as I expect to do. Why?

I think it's about your mindset, you might just be overconfident and using too many smashes to get punished. Remember that if you verse scrubs they are usually very predictable, you just have to clear your head and read his play, like you do against more skilled players. Treat them with the same intensity because every opponent deserves that kind of respect and that will help you think more clearly about your opponent's playstyle.

Believe me, in this instance it has nothing to do with match-up or stage. It's about your head getting too hot and just needs clearing up so you can read your opponent's play and punish. If he's using loads of fsmashes, punish it with a grab! Just focus on your opponent's game, and adapt to his/her playstyle. I cannot stress this anymore, it is one of the fundamentals to becoming a superior player, and unfortunately it is something I am yet to master.

sandwhale

Smash Journeyman
yeah basically adapt the style to the player, you don't play a noob the same way you play a pro if he's not going to react like a pro it'll just mess up your game. the one thing you need to member while playing against any type of player as said above is playing safe or don't get hit

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
Brawl isn't like Melee, dude. If you aren't always on your game when you play people, you'll lose, no matter who it is. Just because you go to smashboards doesn't make you automatically better than people.

Since that guy had a nooby playstyle, you were looking for things that people who know about all that stuff would do, and it conflicts, and you have no idea what you're doing and you get stomped by it. Here's a tip: if you're playing a noob who doesn't know anything about advanced things, dumb your game down completely and just play by reaction. It'll work wonders vs those roll/smash spammers.

AlbelsPanties

Smash Cadet
I'm reminded of something that I heard repeatedly back when I was playing Warcraft III competitively: "One gay strat deserves another."

In other words, the strategy you use to take down high level players isn't necessarily the right one to use against lower level ones. High level play involves both players knowing what the other is capable of and that knowledge plays just as big a role is the spacing and flow of the game as your actual moves.

With low level players, they don't have that same information, and will usually just stick with one strategy they think works. So, step back and play conservatively for the first stock until you can read him. Then, punish the hell out of him.

SpeedAcE

Smash Journeyman
If I had to guess, you're just not playing smart. Shieldgrab punishes fsmash, so if it's coming why not predict it and omgrapechaingrab -> whatever from there.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Undeniable proof that new players can beat more experienced players in Brawl.

*saves thread*
Nothing to contribute as always.
I don't even know why you're here if you dislike this game so much. I don't even troll the Melee boards.
Brawl is 1000x Melee. This is fact. Look around and accept it. Brawl killed Melee.
Smash 64 is 100x better than Melee would ever be.

10lols@meleewhore

J4pu

Smash Champion
Nothing to contribute as always.
I don't even know why you're here if you dislike this game so much. I don't even troll the Melee boards.
Brawl is 1000x Melee. This is fact. Look around and accept it. Brawl killed Melee.
Smash 64 is 100x better than Melee would ever be.

10lols@meleewhore
Just because you don't like somebody or his posts (even if you have a legit reason) doesn't mean you should lie, melee is awesome, I know it required much more depth than brawl does even though I was never a competitive melee player.
Anyways, long story short, a simple "STFU GTFO" will suffice
brawl killed melee but it isn't really because it's better per say.

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
not f¨¨ckin again why every time there is an interesting post it ends up in a brawl vs melee match , if you like melee go play melee nobody is forcing you to play brawl , if you like brawl play brawl thats it theres nothing more to it.

Back to the topic , i would say SHDL him from away if he rolls , use the shield and make him trip , then do a gatling combo. If it still does not work result to shield grabbing or spot dodging.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure these boards would be dead within a week if no one talked about Melee vs. Brawl. Not saying I like it, but it sure keeps the post counts up.

Top Bottom