• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm beginning to think Pit is overpowered.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
From what i've played pit isn't overpowered he is better then most the guys but i think the game is balaced but people just need to try it out from what i've played sonics FS is the most overpowered thing in the game but with a little work people can avoid it but the thing lasts 15 sec. Pit is just as powerful and the rest.

WKx7x

Smash Cadet
I disagree with Pit being overpowered. In my opinion, Pit DOES dominate in most 1 vs. 1 games. Pit's attacks normally need a lot of room to be really good, and therefore Pit is of course going to be good on 1 vs. 1. But if you look at vids where Pit is playing in a 4 player match on a small arena, he gets owned almost every time, and the only reason he doesn't get owned every time is because he manages to get the final smash ball those times. My point is, Pit does excel in certain areas, but in other areas, he has a terrible weakness.

lengeta

Smash Ace
Pit has high-priority airs, which include fast outs (fair/bair), sex-cancels (nair, uair), and a 'meh' spike (dair). He also has two great damage builders: the neutral-A and side-B. Sind-B also reflects, giving him an extremely great approach. Arguably the greatest projectile on top of all that, plus it's directable, so he's a great camper too. His forward-smash, fair, and bair are all great KO moves, plus he's got plenty of jumps to chase non-KOs off the edge with little risk. The only con he seems to have is recovering from under the level; low jumps and an easily punished up-B. That's an extremely minor con.

I won't hesitate to say at this point in gameplay, Pit is the best character. Overpowered? No, unless you consider most the other characters to be overpowered.

The Dragon

Smash Journeyman
the dash sheild grab/smash might help you with the marths, and ikes etc.. i havent playd brawl yet myself but thats what ive seen some of the better pits use

MeestaWombat

Smash Rookie
In our group the joke is that no matter what character you try to main, Pit is your main because he's so easy to win with, and it's true. Whenever I pick Pit I win, whenever my friends pick Pit, they win, so we try to avoid plying as Pit because it's not fun.

Pit reminds me of a certain Marth back in the early Melee days and Kirby in the SB64 days. Very easy to pick up and win with even if you've only been him a few times.

That said, it's two weeks in and I have what... 20 hours at most of brawl 1v1 experience? I'm hoping Pit is just going to be an easy character to pick up and nothing more, but I am a little worried so far because I'm seeing this all over the place. So here's to hoping either Pit will hit a glass ceiling early on or he'll lack something other characters will gain that we haven't found/mastered yet.
i totally agree.

pit is so incredibly annoying. if anyone cannot relinquish the fact that HE IS a much easier character to play with, then that person should at least admit how annoying pit is to fight. a noob can even understand that. if two people of the same skill played each other, one using ike and the other using pit, i know the pit player would dominate.

why? he's really difficult to edgeguard because of the four jumps and arrows, and his aerials are fast and fairly damaging. he's also relatively quick (ESPECIALLY to the slow characters) and can fly to run away.

and (on a sidenote), he can get smash balls SO easily, not to mention the fact that he also can't lose them since he can use final smash while flying...

oh... and if i offended you...

i'm sorry!

Gindler

Smash Champion
Ha, pit truly is annoying. I would know since he's my secondary next to yoshi and i only use him to punish my friend for pikachu thunder spamming (angel ring does damage and reflects the thunder to hurt him). So the only real reason i can see for using pit it too try and be annoying to someone so they'll ease up on their annoyingness.

EdSam

Smash Cadet
Too add on to the large list of Pit's advantages, I don't think think someone caught in his forwardB can DI through it, they have to DI away to get out. I've gotten caught in it at the edge of the stage while trying to recover and when i try to DI back toward the stage i just keep taking damage, I'm basically forced to DI back off the stage. Sorry if this is incorrect or has already been mentioned.

AmericanBison

Smash Cadet
ive played the game. although he has multible jumps they are very weak. he doesnt get off the ground very well. his great up B makes up for his mostly bad jumps. he can short hop easily, but it is decievingly bad vertically.

TheTruth07

Smash Rookie
I dont know if this has been mentioned but Pit's upB can be nerfed to hell, because he cant do it again if he gets hit before landing. And its slow enough so that any character with a good aerial game or projectile can stop his recovery.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Pit really has a lot going for him. I have trouble even beating the CPU Pit. He's just a pain to kill, has several fast kill moves (his forward smash is like jab-KILL), and has the most god annoying projectiles ever.

Pit at this point is gunning for best character in the game.

HeartNana

Smash Cadet
TheTruth - Yeah, thats the biggest thing i'm having problems with, is getting hit after an u+B, and then im screwed even if i'm right next to the stage.

But i think that's just me not using u+B at the right places. I unno, either way, he's still super good.

exo5

Smash Rookie
I can not mount a good attack strategy against pit. Usually if hes in the match, ( CPU controled or plaayer controled) He comes out on top EVERY time.

I play with Link and I would say I am a average player. Their skill sets are very simular, A Spin attack arrows, A shield ( even tho Link really doesnt use his).

I guess for a player like me Im going to fight a up hill battle with a turbo charged version of myself with wings. :ohwell:

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
Dont blame the your opponent, blame yourself
This is what I call a winning phrase :laugh:

Pit is not broken. It is comfortable and easy to control. But, not easy to master or to reach high potential. Pit is about speed, dodge, spacing. And his weakness are: not heavy, not a strong hitter, lacks range on his attacks.

MeestaWombat

Smash Rookie
This is what I call a winning phrase :laugh:

Pit is not broken. It is comfortable and easy to control. But, not easy to master or to reach high potential. Pit is about speed, dodge, spacing. And his weakness are: not heavy, not a strong hitter, lacks range on his attacks.
sure, pit may not be broken, but he is definitely one of the easiest ways to competent, competitive play. it would probably take much more work in strategy and skill to play a bowser or ike. yes they may be powerful and heavy, but their learning curve is probably significantly higher than that of pit.

by and by, it's nice to note that pit IS heavier than marth. if weights were to be organized in six categories, pit would still be in the "lower middle" group, making him somewhat of a middleweight relative to other characters. i don't think pit's weight makes him any more vulnerable than the 19~ish characters that are of equal or less weight.

similarly, i think his disjointed hitbox makes up for his "short" (read: average) reach. many of his attacks (up a, smash up a, side b, hard-to-escape fsmash, nair, etc) stay out for a while, making him even more difficult to penetrate.

i've only played the game about ten hours, so i guess it's a bit presumptious to claim all this and assume i'm right. oh well.

berserker515

Smash Cadet
i was using pit and i find it really hard to kill my friends with him. so he's not too overpowered at all.

sidenote- zelda ***** pit. pit cant even get close because of forward B and then zelda has running A and other moves to keep pit at bay. i got 3 stocked when i used pit. i tried every approach possible but no dice.

The Dragon

Smash Journeyman
i was using pit and i find it really hard to kill my friends with him. so he's not too overpowered at all.

sidenote- zelda ***** pit. pit cant even get close because of forward B and then zelda has running A and other moves to keep pit at bay. i got 3 stocked when i used pit. i tried every approach possible but no dice.
lies my pit ***** zelda, arrowed her whenver she tried to side b to keep her dyns fire in her pocket, besides that it just basics(dash shield grab / regular sheild grab works well against her dash atttack)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
My Golden Pit just lost to a banana-spammin Diddy Kong.
So Pit isnt Overpowered at all. He lacks the weight and power that of which Bowser has, and he's not the fastest. He's somewhere in the middle of the weight class with versatile moves, which include arrows, melee attacks and even a reflector. When used correctly, Pit is a dangerous opponent. I should know, because I'm one of those dangerous opponents.

Zero System

Smash Rookie
After you play 40 hours of vs. mode matches you know how cheap pit is. For starters his arrows aren't hard to control at all if you've got half a brain. His reflector move not only reflects projectiles but also running attacks. Then his over b can catch people in a wall and do 40 damage before they can even escape. Also pits smashes are fairly decent, and his a attack combos well. But worst of all is his wings or up b which allow his to fly an insane distance, the only other character that has that capability is rob, but with him you've actually gotta stay on the ground for a while before you can use it again making it not an instant get back on the stage. Compared to all the other players Pit is overpowered.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
doesn't pit have 3 reflectors?

forward B

the mirror shield

his jab combo end. I know it blocks/turns projectiles back, even if it's more like mew2 in that the projectiles don't have a hitbox <_<

lordtian

Smash Rookie
true pit is very good, i managed to beat event match 41 on my 2nd try as pit whereas i had difficulty winning with ness who i mained for the latter days of melee. However, to say that pit is greatly overpowered is an overstatement. If one says that pit is overpowered he most likely refers to the versatality (range and reflectors) and great recoveries of pit. Pit is indeed much better than characters such Ike in these areas. Yet, he has serious weaknesses in finishing moves, dealing high enough damage (i haven't found a single true combo with pit yet that connects seamlessly) and taking heavy damage in general, which characters such as Ike can do proficiently. Thus to say that pit is extremely overpowered is to ignore his weaknesses and only look at his strengths. I agree that pit will probably place in a high tier once the tiers are created for brawl. But even in melee Marth, whom most players considered extremely overpowered and easy to pick up, was consistenly beaten by falcos, foxes, sheiks and even falcons. In this light, while pit may indeed be "overpowered" in some areas other characters are also "overpowered" in other facets that counter Pits strengths.

Anarkex

Smash Cadet
Ih... all the kids are playing as Pit non-stop. Even if people who are currently "maining" him find a couple reasons to legitimize his use, he sure is a pain in the *** to fight. He's like the new Marth. Except, Marth is still the old Marth.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
Are people seriously calling Pit underpowered in this thread?

He's one of the quickest characters in the game, he has one of the (if not the) best recoveries in the game, his moves have amazing priority, he can rack up damage ridiculously quickly with repeatable moves that can't be easily punished (uair, side-b, neutral A spam), his aerials give him amazing edgeguard potential, he's EASILY equipped to be the most defensive character in the game (two reflectors and the best projectile in the game).

His cons: light (not even really...) and... light. People say he has no kill moves. Erroneous. Bair, fsmash, dair, dsmash. AND uair and fair give him amazing edgeguarding potential with a high high priority, quickness, and range. If you want a character that has no kill moves, try MK before crying.

You guys play the character with the most potential in the game, and anyone that says otherwise needs to start justifying their silly claims very quickly.

Christova

Smash Cadet
All I know is that it's a pain to attack pit from above because his uair gets great priority.

It kind of bugs me that Pit is so idolized, but he is really powerful.

MeestaWombat

Smash Rookie

He's one of the quickest characters in the game, he has one of the (if not the) best recoveries in the game, his moves have amazing priority, he can rack up damage ridiculously quickly with repeatable moves that can't be easily punished (uair, side-b, neutral A spam), his aerials give him amazing edgeguard potential, he's EASILY equipped to be the most defensive character in the game (two reflectors and the best projectile in the game).

His cons: light (not even really...) and... light. People say he has no kill moves. Erroneous. Bair, fsmash, dair, dsmash. AND uair and fair give him amazing edgeguarding potential with a high high priority, quickness, and range. If you want a character that has no kill moves, try MK before crying.

You guys play the character with the most potential in the game, and anyone that says otherwise needs to start justifying their silly claims very quickly.
i don't think anyone said he's underpowered, but i'm with you. i think that as a general, the people who are defending him so steadfastly just can't let go of the fact that they are using an annoying (if not really really good) character. i guess i won't say broken or overpowered since apparently those are super controversial words in these forums.

ignorance is bliss dudes, but one way or another, you have to admit that a gimpable up b does not balance out his unfounded priviledges! he's not even light, short ranged or laggy...

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
pit isn't broken but he sure as hell is a good character. and believe me its actually hard to gimp him if the person controlling him knows what he's doing. and his forward smash (the 2nd hit) sends u flying so thats another kill move along with his usmash dsmash bair and maybe im missing some other one's. his ability to fly out and fair u to ur death....yea he's a good character.

yule4

Smash Rookie
I honestly think that you can make a arguement for almost every character in this game for being over-powered in this game.. just because pit's cases seem more prominent doesn't mean he stands alone.. Brawl did a amazing job of eliminating tiers and creating one of the most balanced fighters to date.. there are always weakness to exploit, i find that diddy, squirtle, wolf, and metaknight give Pit just as many problems as he gives others.. also a good sonic is a ***** to fight. lol

tachyon34

Smash Rookie
people say that alot, but when tiers come out, despite all the "balancing" of all the characters, Pit is sure to be at the top. Ever tried to play cpt falcon vs a good pit?

then come back and tell me he actually has weaknesses.

lol if u think his up B is a weakness you should see half of the other character's recoveries like dk/bowser/wolf/anybody with a grapple

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Pit's broken. Everyone should play him.

I don't know what you people are talking about. He's got ****ty range and he's fragile. He's not bad in anyway, but play with an opponent that can space, and you're going to have trouble.

nintengod

Smash Apprentice
just, no

pit is weak, has the highest light/large size ratio
almost no kill moves till 130%+
dies instantly if u hit him in his up b(the earthbounders **** pit)
oh and some of his hit boxes are microscopic, seriously its annoying to play him, u miss half the time, and some of his attacks are punishable like his side b if he misses

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
pit is weak, has the highest light/large size ratio
almost no kill moves till 130%+
dies instantly if u hit him in his up b(the earthbounders **** pit)
oh and some of his hit boxes are microscopic, seriously its annoying to play him, u miss half the time, and some of his attacks are punishable like his side b if he misses
You're an idiot.

First, please tell me where you got that ratio from. Unacceptable answers include "out of my ***."

Second, he's not even f*cking light; he's DIRECTLY in the middle of the weight list. I'm fairly sure the same goes with falling speed. At best, he's average in terms of ease to kill, which definitely makes me think he's overpowered. And he's not big, don't even give me that. He's exactly where he should be size-wise for his weight and fall-speed, if not too small.

Almost no kill moves? Fsmash, Dsmash, bair, dair all kill at under 100% if it's an average sized character. And read my post, he has one of the best edgeguarding abilities in the game along with MK. If you want to see a character with no kills, try MK, for the love of God. You don't know how easy you have it as Pit.

Wow, thanks for the information about his UPB... everyone knows that. I guess it's fine to gloss over the fact that he can GLIDE and has FOUR JUMPS which still gives him one of the best recoveries in the game even if his up-B isn't used. His gimpable up-B is not much of a drawback at all considering his other strengths.

*Sigh* Some of his attacks don't have range? Oh my God, well then everyone should just drop Pit. Have you ever played Wario? Don't b*tch about range when you have the best projectile in the game. His fsmash and a few other moves might not have range but it's not like he lacks it overall as a character. Uair, nair, dair, usmash all have decent range. He's not a range deprived character in the least.

Please stop defending yourselves by pointing out Pit's minuscule flaws. The point is, his strengths far outweigh his flaws moreso than the majority of the characters in this game, and he's pretty much overpowered the way I see it now.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
Pit's broken. Everyone should play him.

I don't know what you people are talking about. He's got ****ty range and he's fragile. He's not bad in anyway, but play with an opponent that can space, and you're going to have trouble.
Can people seriously begin to start justifying the bull**** they claim?

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=143406

PLEASE tell me how, when you're DIRECTLY in the middle of both a weight list and a FS list, you're "fragile."

I don't think anyone is saying Pit is unbeatable, but without question he's one of the best characters in the game to the point where it's almost unfair.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Gah, for one the Side B won't do 40 damage unless you stay in it. If you back away it does like 5 (big woop).

His recovery is the best and worst in the game (gets alot of distance, but when hit he DOESN'T get it back)

His jumps are slow and low so he's actually easier to edgeguard if you have half a brain.

His arrows hardly do any damage, I tend not too look at my damage because it effects how aggressively i'll play if I'm hurt alot, but against pit he only has a handful of killmoves he has to be lucky to land.

Instead of whining about how cheap pit is (i agree that he's cheap) why don't you just play off his many weaknesses and destroy him?

tachyon34

Smash Rookie
how when the only characters that have an advantage over him or can play on the same level are marth and MK?

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Gah, for one the Side B won't do 40 damage unless you stay in it. If you back away it does like 5 (big woop).

His recovery is the best and worst in the game (gets alot of distance, but when hit he DOESN'T get it back)

His jumps are slow and low so he's actually easier to edgeguard if you have half a brain.

His arrows hardly do any damage, I tend not too look at my damage because it effects how aggressively i'll play if I'm hurt alot, but against pit he only has a handful of killmoves he has to be lucky to land.

Instead of whining about how cheap pit is (i agree that he's cheap) why don't you just play off his many weaknesses and destroy him?

his arrows hardly do any damage and i tend not 2 look at my damage. that right there is just a stupid comment. every1 knows his arrows rack up damage quickly, and they're very spammable. best and worst recovery in the game? no thats stupid. 4 jumps plus glide that alone is better than quite a bit of characters. add his up b and it looks like his recovery is pretty **** good. yeah u can hit him out of it but hes as so much other options for recovery half the time a pit player doesn't even use up b, and unless ur dealing with an idiot hes not going 2 be hit out of it that simply. Pit is definitely not overpowered, but he is a very capable character. And yes you say that but based off the rest of ur argument, you act as if hes captain falcons lvl.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit haters these days...
Sure he's a great character. I main him after all. But every character has a weakness.
Pit is somewhat light, the heaviest of the lightweights.
His arrows are spammable, but dont do much damage, unless you charge them.
His melee attacks dont have as much range as other sword characters, though he is capable of attacking somewhat fast.
Mirror shield is only effective against stuff that are in front of Pit, not behind.
His unique Up+B cant be used again if Pit gets hit (And Flinched so Fox's Blaster dont count) while doing it unless he lands again. Bowser's Fire breath works well in the situation.

In the hands of a pro, he's a dangerous adversary. I dont consider myself a pro-pro but pro enough to use many of his special techniques. I consider myself Moderate-High as a Pit player.

Back to topic, Pit does have some killing moves (B-air, FSmash, F-air, glide attack) and B-air's sweetspot is the strongest of them all.

I'm guessing some ppl think he's overpowered is because of one of the following things:
1: That player continuously gets owned by Pit
2: He's used very often
3: The fact that he has 2 reflectors, a projectile, the ability to glide, and a great recovery.
4: Just jealous of Pit

I do also notice that Pit isnt completely that good in a FFA match, though he dominates well in 1v1 matches.

To end this thing... Pit is NOT Overpowered!

The Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Pit haters these days...
Sure he's a great character. I main him after all. But every character has a weakness.
Pit is somewhat light, the heaviest of the lightweights.
His arrows are spammable, but dont do much damage, unless you charge them.
His melee attacks dont have as much range as other sword characters, though he is capable of attacking somewhat fast.
Mirror shield is only effective against stuff that are in front of Pit, not behind.
His unique Up+B cant be used again if Pit gets hit (And Flinched so Fox's Blaster dont count) while doing it unless he lands again. Bowser's Fire breath works well in the situation.

In the hands of a pro, he's a dangerous adversary. I dont consider myself a pro-pro but pro enough to use many of his special techniques. I consider myself Moderate-High as a Pit player.

Back to topic, Pit does have some killing moves (B-air, FSmash, F-air, glide attack) and B-air's sweetspot is the strongest of them all.

I'm guessing some ppl think he's overpowered is because of one of the following things:
1: That player continuously gets owned by Pit
2: He's used very often
3: The fact that he has 2 reflectors, a projectile, the ability to glide, and a great recovery.
4: Just jealous of Pit

I do also notice that Pit isnt completely that good in a FFA match, though he dominates well in 1v1 matches.

To end this thing... Pit is NOT Overpowered!
qft i main pit as well and pit deffinitely has his good and bad matchups

Top Bottom