• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's Matchups

X0dus

Smash Apprentice
How does Ike do against characters like Zelda, Sheik and Peach? I'm considering picking him up and those would be three match ups I can use DK but would prefer to cover with a different character.
Ike is really good at dealing with Zelda jank, plus he has a sword and Zelda is bad at dealing with it, I think Ike wins but I've only played like 2 Zelda ever.
I think Ike beats Shiek, but at worse he does better than DK.
And Ike beats Peach pretty bad.

And Sylarius, if Shiek goes for a Dash grab or grab in general, you can jab her out of it (Comes out at frame 3) or short hop nair to keep her out. For f-tilt and down-tilts, just be really good at spacing your attacks and staying out of range and if you get catch, DI down and away. Do you have any videos?

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Ike is really good at dealing with Zelda jank, plus he has a sword and Zelda is bad at dealing with it, I think Ike wins but I've only played like 2 Zelda ever.
I think Ike beats Shiek, but at worse he does better than DK.
And Ike beats Peach pretty bad.
I appreciate the reply. I think I will try to pick up Ike now in PM because I've always found him to be real fun. Is there any guides or things I should look at specifically?

Sylarius

Smash Ace
And Sylarius, if Shiek goes for a Dash grab or grab in general, you can jab her out of it (Comes out at frame 3) or short hop nair to keep her out. For f-tilt and down-tilts, just be really good at spacing your attacks and staying out of range and if you get catch, DI down and away. Do you have any videos?

I have 4 games we played in a tournament 4 days ago, I played vs his ivysaur the match before where I link it (and barely lost) and play Ike v. Sheik the next 4 matches.

http://www.twitch.tv/spacecoyotegaming/b/659888495?t=1h38m02s

(1 hour 38 minutes in)

They'll be up on youtube within the week supposedly, but last time the uploader said that they went up 3 weeks later. So can't be sure. But thanks for the help! Sorry if twitch archives are too laggy. ><

X0dus

Smash Apprentice
I have 4 games we played in a tournament 4 days ago, I played vs his ivysaur the match before where I link it (and barely lost) and play Ike v. Sheik the next 4 matches.

http://www.twitch.tv/spacecoyotegaming/b/659888495?t=1h38m02s

(1 hour 38 minutes in)

They'll be up on youtube within the week supposedly, but last time the uploader said that they went up 3 weeks later. So can't be sure. But thanks for the help! Sorry if twitch archives are too laggy. ><
I definitely recommend not taking Shiek to small stages, and I definitly don't recommend running it back there. She struggles to get kill confirms with proper DI, and on small stages, it makes it easier to get the kill. Also, she is much faster than you and better at fighting close range. You will also save a lot of percent just trying to sweetspot or going for the ledge instead of going high or on stage. He doesn't seem to know you can grab the ledge and use ledge invincibility with a nair or bair and is content with air needles. And how I DI her throws is as soon as I get grabbed, I go down and away and move to the other side when I notice the visual difference for back throw. You definitely want to practice that. Something I've been doing to edgeguard Shiek recently is grab the ledge, and when they go on stage, either get-up down smash or waveland down, down-smash. Fortefreak (He is an Ike/Shiek main in AZ) calls it "The Shiek Killer" because it sends them off stage again and at a horrible angle. If they go on stage, you have enough time to do it due to her end lag and a lot of the Shiek match-up is knocking her off stage, and keeping her off stage.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
I definitely recommend not taking Shiek to small stages, and I definitly don't recommend running it back there. She struggles to get kill confirms with proper DI, and on small stages, it makes it easier to get the kill. Also, she is much faster than you and better at fighting close range.
Lol, FML. Really? In the past I've done far better vs him in small stages, resulting in him banning Yoshi's story/warioware/FoD. I definitely agree I shouldn't have run him back twice on the same stage (or switched chars, tbh.) I thought the smaller stage would help Ike's range more + gimping isn't really an issue there.

Thanks for the rest, yeah I need to practice ledge invincibility and edgeguarding better for sure... he wrecks me at the ledge and my edgeguarding is pretty horrid.

Commander

Smash Ace
Does anyone else think Ike's wall jump makes his recovery broken? There aren't many characters that can stop a good Ike from recovering from the bottom of his recovery range.

Von Klavier

Smash Rookie
When against characters that apply continuous pressure, my Ike's neutral game is quite dependent on grabbing. How is your neutral game(s) played against such characters?

Von Klavier

Smash Rookie
Does anyone else think Ike's wall jump makes his recovery broken? There aren't many characters that can stop a good Ike from recovering from the bottom of his recovery range.
I concur, from the very bottom few characters could do anything. Conversely, edge guarding aether isn’t exceeding difficult (compared to the other FE character’s up-specials), given the opponent knows when they can safely interrupt it.

X0dus

Smash Apprentice
I think its really good, but not broken. If they know how to stop Aether from the top (For most characters, its a simple down smash like Fox, Falco, Wolf, anyone with a disjoint, or a Dair like Falcon, Ganon, Wario if times properly, basically anything that hits low/below the stage and anything that can hit him at the stop from a decent range etc.) then recovering low won't help much, if you quickdraw to the ledge, it gives more mix-up options, like quickdraw -> walljump -> waveland or air-dodge to the stage, or quickdraw -> wall jump -> quickdraw but if you know how to stop the first quickdraw or scare him, it won't be a problem on most stages, if you can react to whatever he does out of wall jump, then it won't be a problem. I think the Wall Jump gives Ike enough mix-up options without being broken or overpowered, its just really good.

And I've been trying to grab less in neutral and rarely use it besides certain match-ups.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Personally, I think it's pretty difficult to edgeguard Ike on walled stages when he's recovering from below the stage after using a jump; from onstage, the positioning required to edgeguard Aether when Ike is able to mix-up between doing it high and sweetspotting is fairly precise (not even including mixing it up with doing it early and drifting forward), and the luxury of mixing it up with QD wall-jump makes it worse for them. QD wall-jump also provides you time to stall out ledge invincibility in case they tried to cover sweetspot Aether; it's a fairly reliable recovery to the point where you can usually land on the stage from Aether, relying on Ike's weight to survive the eminent hit to reset to the edgeguard while getting your jump and wall-jump back. This is compounded by the usual mix-up between QD and Aether when Ike can recover high, so I honestly feel really grimy when I use the wall-jump recovery. IMHO, in the grand scheme of things, Ike's recovery is reliable enough that he doesn't need QD walljump.

In other news, I played a ton of matches with Ripple and Milkmonster this past weekend; I have a lot of trouble against Ripple's D3 and was hoping to maybe get some advice. My biggest problems are my poor reaction times to the DThrow/FThrow DI mix-up and my punish game; the DThrow/FThrow mix-up is nasty against Ike because DI'ing poorly for DThrow will get you re-grabbed while DI'ing poorly for FThrow will most likely get you killed since Ike's recovery is bad for recovering from that angle of trajectory, while Ripple's DI/CCs are good enough that I can't rely on most throw/jab shenanigans and D3's DAir/NAir prevent him from getting easily juggled. Any advice would be appreciated, but I think I'd rather go Charizard for this match-up (I was a cop-out and only recorded two Ike matches since he was destroying me pretty hard before we started recording).

https://youtu.be/OvjmgpO26cw

1:06:06-1:09:53 - metroid (Ike) vs Ripple (D3)
1:10:03-1:12:00 - metroid (Ike) vs Ripple (D3)

0:00:00-0:01:37 - Milkmonster (Fox) vs metroid (Ike)
0:01:39-0:04:22 - Milkmonster (Wario) vs metroid (Ike)
0:04:23-0:07:42 - Milkmonster (Wario) vs metroid (Ike)
0:38:15-0:40:53 - Tucks (ZSS) vs metroid (Ike)
0:40:54-0:42:57 - Tucks (ZSS) vs metroid (Ike)
0:42:59-0:45:14 - Tucks (ZSS) vs metroid (Ike)
2:15:09-2:17:22 - Milkmonster (Wario) vs metroid (Ike)
2:17:29-2:19:56 - Milkmonster (Wario) vs metroid (Ike)
2:20:08-2:22:18 - Milkmonster (Wario) vs metroid (Ike)

Last edited:

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
Oh no, incoming removal of walljump in 3.6?? :(( If our walljump does get removed that sucks a lot, but I get that our recovery is kinda really good right now.

Commander

Smash Ace
Aether is such a flexible recovery already. It can literally move like this: ] or [ or _|- . You can move it during the initial throw and during the catch and it is really a big distance. I already see a lot of people having trouble dealing with aether when I mix it up between trying to hit them, the ledge, or the stage. Even though aether is easy to be poked out of you are already so high up from it that aethering again is easy. Its 100 kb hitboxes also make it troublesome for opponents.

The wall jump just seems to make things unchallengeable. Literally no one can go and stop Ike when he wall jumps an inch away from the blast zone on wario ware and then aether still has the option of switching between ledge and stage from that far away. The only thing that is interesting about it without being a bit absurd is walljump>fair because that looks cool but it was a better option when there were two wall jumps and everyone had a broken recovery.

Regarding the D3 match up. D3's disjoints are greater than or equal to Ike's disjoints, but D3 also has one of the single best grabs in the game. Getting close to D3 is made even harder due to things like how fast his aerials are. @ metroid1117 metroid1117 In the Ike matches it looked like you were focusing on rushing ripple down and that wouldn't work because ripple had some answer for you ready before you could get close enough to hit him. When you could land a hit, most of the time it was fair but it would be beaten out by D3's fair which is just as big but significantly faster and thus you would lose those situations. The big difference in your matches when you switched to Charizard is that you started respecting ripple's space a lot more and were focusing on zoning him out and trying to get him to commit first and that greatly contributed to your success. Ripple was never really rushing you in the Ike match ups, you were rushing him and ere getting hit for it. When you went Charizard ripple was spending more time trying to find a way to hit you rather than counter you which opened up possibilities for him to miss his attacks and create opening for you to combo him.

If you feel more comfortable going zoning heavy as charizard then stick with him, but I don't think it is necessary to switch from Ike. The range difference between D3 and Chaizard is pretty similar to how it is between D3 and Ike so there shouldn't be that big of a difference in zoning ability. Chrizard's invincible ftilt is like a really useful tool that can make him a bit more appealing in some situations though.

X0dus

Smash Apprentice
I think Walljump isn't an issue if you attack where Ike is going to be instead of where he is (It might be a problem a lot of people just have in general, including myself).

In other news, I played a ton of matches with Ripple and Milkmonster this past weekend; I have a lot of trouble against Ripple's D3 and was hoping to maybe get some advice. My biggest problems are my poor reaction times to the DThrow/FThrow DI mix-up and my punish game; the DThrow/FThrow mix-up is nasty against Ike because DI'ing poorly for DThrow will get you re-grabbed while DI'ing poorly for FThrow will most likely get you killed since Ike's recovery is bad for recovering from that angle of trajectory, while Ripple's DI/CCs are good enough that I can't rely on most throw/jab shenanigans and D3's DAir/NAir prevent him from getting easily juggled. Any advice would be appreciated, but I think I'd rather go Charizard for this match-up (I was a cop-out and only recorded two Ike matches since he was destroying me pretty hard before we started recording).
I've been having more success(?) (Or at least, not getting bodied as hard) with playing more defensively against Heysuess. Taking it slow and just thinking about every single thing I do helps a lot. I'm not technical enough to rush him down and choke him out, so I thought I would just try to play his game. Here is the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPhDqk87uxg
I was actually playing really poorly game 1 (I missed a lot of obvious punishes and things I could have done, along with L-cancels and wavedashs and various opportunities, it was one of the many many reasons I got destroyed game 2). I think just baiting stuff out and bobbing in and out from his grab does a lot in this match-up. I try to play more mind games and try not to get hit or grabbed. I've been hit by the F-Throw/D-throw mix-up by Heysuess that I can do it on reaction. It still puts you in a horrible position with the proper DI, I also usually go to Smashville because the platform can save you for the Forward throw, and I don't know the most optimal way to recover. I've had to mix-up my recovery so many times that my first kill in game 1 was literally the first time were we had that exchange and I won. Usually, I get hit under the stage and have to tech it, I get killed because of the way Aether works, or I barely make it back. That result was a complete coincidence, that wasn't intentional. For throws, I recommend up-throw because he is big and a fast faller. You get free follow-ups for a good while. Up-air angled correctly can beat Dair and Nair. I'm still working on this, but I think tech chasing DDD might be really effective because his rolls are so slow that you can easily react to them, but I still suck at tech chasing.

Game 2 though, was pretty much me trying to be aggressive and experimenting with that and playing him on a small stage. On the 3rd stock I realized that Heysuess plays with Neon, Medz, and other very technical and aggressive players, why did I think this would work? And by the 4th stock, I realized what I was doing wrong. Going into game 2, I was like "He either downloaded me super hard and I will get bodied, or this will somehow work."

metroid1117

Smash Master
Oh no, incoming removal of walljump in 3.6?? :(( If our walljump does get removed that sucks a lot, but I get that our recovery is kinda really good right now.
My views are not necessarily the views of the PMDT, so just because I express my opinion doesn't meant that it'll actually happen.

If you feel more comfortable going zoning heavy as charizard then stick with him, but I don't think it is necessary to switch from Ike. The range difference between D3 and Chaizard is pretty similar to how it is between D3 and Ike so there shouldn't be that big of a difference in zoning ability. Chrizard's invincible ftilt is like a really useful tool that can make him a bit more appealing in some situations though.
Thanks for the advice, Commander. I think I wasn't playing very well in the recorded matches since I had been getting bodied earlier that day and just decided to "YOLO" it. Charizard's FTilt doesn't have invincibility frames as of 3.5 by the way.

@ X0dus X0dus thanks for the match, I'll take a look at it when I have the chance.

@ lordhelmet lordhelmet OMFG good **** beating Ripple in that MM just now, that ending was insane. Guess I gotta use QD more...

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Lost to a D3 player at Shuffle yesterday, knocking me out of bracket pretty early. He played the defensive game well, keeping me out with waddles and ftilt; then, if I misspaced any aerial on shield, I got grabbed and thrown offstage. I can see why you need experience in that MU to do well.

It also didn't help I got CPd to Lylat, when WW was banned at the tournament. Haven't played on Lylat in like a year.

It's interesting to see that Lordy lost to Village Mascot, and Ally lost to Dirtboy. You have to get in on Link to do work, while Squirtle is so unique you have to expect all the different things he can do.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
This is compounded by the usual mix-up between QD and Aether when Ike can recover high, so I honestly feel really grimy when I use the wall-jump recovery. IMHO, in the grand scheme of things, Ike's recovery is reliable enough that he doesn't need QD walljump.
What have they done to you?

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I think the walljump can stay but it would be smart to reduce the height that the walljump gains. At present it's similar to the like of Luigi's (out of tech) and Wolf's, some of the highest walljumps in the game.

Last edited:

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, removing the walljump would suck. But when you put it into context, and take into account that many other characters will be getting nerfed, I think it's pretty reasonable that our walljump would be removed. But it still sucks.

We pretty easily have a top 8 or so recovery, both in distance and mixups.

It's pretty funny looking back at 3.0 and how we were hoping that they wouldn't remove our second walljump, haha.

Last edited:

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I think that our up-b should have its armor removed or that charged side b should go slightly shorter. Anything more and **** PM lol. Why do the Melee top tiers need to stay on top? I think that there are many characters who beat Ike.

Shuffle was a wash for me. Played terribly. Lost to Zwarm in pools, Drephen, and Mascot. I don't use Ike vs Samus, Link, Jiggs, etc btw. Always go Falcon in those matchups.

King Hoboz can you talk about some anti Squirtle tech? Samn mentioned that you knew things but didn't want to elaborate. I never did see you at Shuffle though I really wanted to friendly you. Someone tag him lol idk how to do that.

At metroid, always hold down and away when you're in a grab. Fthrow is slow enough that you can change your DI on reaction.

Last edited:

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
I messaged you about it.

I found it a long time ago when I first picked up Ike. It's really simple, just hold Eruption at the ledge and Squirtle isn't allowed to recover low anymore. You will consistently armor through it and likely kill them. And I totally wanted to also, but by the time I committed myself to it, I didn't know what you looked like and I was in the mood to just pack up as it was. I'm looking into showing up at Smash'n'Splash if you're going there.

Shuffle basically taught me that I need to learn PM match-ups, I don't have enough of those in my area.

And, I also agree with Lordy's suggestions on recovery, that or maybe adjusting something on the aether's hitboxes, but overall people need to just learn it and it's really clear there are openings. Better players trash it plenty enough.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
If Squirtle goes low, you can time it so you have invincibility when he up-Bs and ledgehop dair him.

This is from playing Zwarm all the time.

Last edited:

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Yeah, ledgehop dair is my favorite. Onstage your best choice is fair/fsmash/eruption. It's possible to outspace his up-b with fair but lots of times his enormous up-b hitbox hits me anyway.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
@ lordhelmet lordhelmet why do you go Falcon against Samus and Jiggs? I've always thought Ike does well in those MUs, if only because of his disjoint and better recovery.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Ike is pretty slow. In theory he destroys characters who have no range (Kirby/Jiggs), but I find them to be really hard with Ike. Projectiles are very good at keeping Ike out, and those little fast ****ers are really good at getting in (Squirtle/Fox).

Your Face

Smash Apprentice
Hey I need some help. I'm having trouble against ROB. He always seems to get a 3 Ftilts in before I can get a Shield Grab in. It seems like I do better with Link against him, but I don't wanna be Link because I can't do as much cool stuff with him as I can with Ike. Any suggestions?

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Hey I need some help. I'm having trouble against ROB. He always seems to get a 3 Ftilts in before I can get a Shield Grab in. It seems like I do better with Link against him, but I don't wanna be Link because I can't do as much cool stuff with him as I can with Ike. Any suggestions?
Go Falcon

MLGF

Smash Lord
If you take away wall jump, there goes some hype as **** edgeguards, although maybe there's some alternative to keep both idk.

X0dus

Smash Apprentice
I have a weird amount of success using Ganon in this match-up (Mostly for fun) and I've been meaning to grind out the match-up but there are no good ROBs in my area, so I will give you some general tips to keep in mind when fighting him. Rob is heavy, floaty, and very big, so if they don't DI your throws correctly, you can get a lot off of your grabs and regrabs. I've notice he has very slow rolls and tech rolls, so he is pretty easy to tech chase. Don't be scared to go off stage against him, he is easy to hit and he gets 3 up-B (They can go up and to the side) and if you hit him, he doesn't get them back, Ike you sends him very far with Fair and it makes it hard for him to come back. It also goes a set amount of distance in 1 direction, so learning how far it can go can help a lot. Rob also has a Melee Sheik down throw, I'm not sure if he can chain grab you (He probably can) but he gets a lot off of it (Because Melee). Also, if he keeps hitting you before you can grab him, just buffer a roll instead. Not everything has to be offensive and you don't always have to throw out an attack.

ESC Artiste

The One Who Smashes All
NNID
Ember
3DS FC
1435-6612-4647
I just got Project M 3.6 a couple of days ago. anything I need to know before I jump in with Ike?

Last edited:

X0dus

Smash Apprentice
I just got Project M 3.6 a couple of days ago. anything I need to know before I jump in with Ike?
You mean 3.5? And you can use the quickdraw attack whenever you want by pressing B and jump out of quickdraw, which means you can jump cancel, which leads into things like Quickdraw -> Jump Cancel -> Up smash or grab or pivot grab or wavedash, or you can just jump and do an aerial. You can also wall jump out of Quickdraw. Because of this, Ike has a lot of mix-up options in the neutral, when combo'ing, when recovering, etc. One of the scariest situations for your opponent to be in is lying on the grab and you charging quickdraw. Because you have so many options out of it, that they it will put a lot of fear into them, you can up-smash them, grab them, jump then aerial, or if you don't feel like committing, you can just wavedash. Also, you have a ton of options when recovering, practice all of them so you can have a lot of mix-up options, you don't always have to grab the ledge. You can wall jump then waveland, you can wall jump quickdraw back to the ledge, you can release the attack early to sweetspot, you can just Aether back on the ledge, you can Aether on stage, its kind of crazy. I recommend watching players like Lordy, Metroid, DJNintendo, and Ally (There are a ton of Ike's and a ton of different ways to play the character so you can have different ideas on how to play the character, its best to find what works for you. I treat Ike like a better Brawl Ike while Metroid just goes insane and looks cool). Also, don't use Quickdraw a lot in neutral, I try to treat it as an extension of myself and my character rather than some gimmick I can abuse in every situation and a lot of PM players have this problem. You get a lot more doing out of not abusing it and you will have better fundamentals because of it. Also, just going into training and just mess around with Ike and see what you can do. I can go further like removing the Jab locks and reducing the armor on Aether and Eruption, but I think this is the most important.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
Has there been a discussion on Fox? He's the only one I have questions about right now and didn't wanna run through all these pages, figured it'd be easier if somone already knew and wouldn't mind telling me. Also do you guys think Ike will get whacked in 3.6 or the patch after?

X0dus

Smash Apprentice
Has there been a discussion on Fox? He's the only one I have questions about right now and didn't wanna run through all these pages, figured it'd be easier if somone already knew and wouldn't mind telling me. Also do you guys think Ike will get whacked in 3.6 or the patch after?
I believe there was at one point, but I'm not 100% sure. I personally think its very even to, at worse, Fox wins 60/40. They both body the **** out of each other. They both edgeguard each other well (I think Ike is a little better at it), they combo the crap out of each other, and I think this match-up is basically whoever gets the first hit or gets knocked off stage first. The only reason I think Fox wins is because he has an easier time getting the first hit because he is faster and great at Shield pressure and Ike has no OOS options and Ike can't out aggro him.
Also, I think Ike will be fine next patch. He has reasonable and exploitable weaknesses like lack of OOS options, okay DD and DD options, and with proper DI, he shouldn't be able to follow up on forward, down, and back throw (At most, it is a tech chase and or a regrab at low percents, at high/kill percents, he won't get anything) and up-throw is only really effective on fast fallers (As it should be), while having a fair amount of bad match-ups and really bad match-ups (Like Falco, Wolf, Captain Falcon, and DDD to name a few) and take a lot of work in-order to be really good with him and preform well. People are only complaining about him now because people don't know the match-up and didn't know/realize how scary Ike can be, and any character is is already good is scary when you don't know how to fight them. People are very quick to say a character should be nerfed. The only changes I would make is make the DI window for his F-throw a little bigger (I think it is 100% possible to DI Ike's throws on reaction, but a lot of people struggle with it since they don't practice or fight many Ike's. I see top level players still struggle with it). I don't think Ike really needs any changes. Plus strongbad had this really good comment about it that I can't remember where I saw it.

ESC Artiste

The One Who Smashes All
NNID
Ember
3DS FC
1435-6612-4647
You mean 3.5? And you can use the quickdraw attack whenever you want by pressing B and jump out of quickdraw, which means you can jump cancel, which leads into things like Quickdraw -> Jump Cancel -> Up smash or grab or pivot grab or wavedash, or you can just jump and do an aerial. You can also wall jump out of Quickdraw. Because of this, Ike has a lot of mix-up options in the neutral, when combo'ing, when recovering, etc. One of the scariest situations for your opponent to be in is lying on the grab and you charging quickdraw. Because you have so many options out of it, that they it will put a lot of fear into them, you can up-smash them, grab them, jump then aerial, or if you don't feel like committing, you can just wavedash. Also, you have a ton of options when recovering, practice all of them so you can have a lot of mix-up options, you don't always have to grab the ledge. You can wall jump then waveland, you can wall jump quickdraw back to the ledge, you can release the attack early to sweetspot, you can just Aether back on the ledge, you can Aether on stage, its kind of crazy. I recommend watching players like Lordy, Metroid, DJNintendo, and Ally (There are a ton of Ike's and a ton of different ways to play the character so you can have different ideas on how to play the character, its best to find what works for you. I treat Ike like a better Brawl Ike while Metroid just goes insane and looks cool). Also, don't use Quickdraw a lot in neutral, I try to treat it as an extension of myself and my character rather than some gimmick I can abuse in every situation and a lot of PM players have this problem. You get a lot more doing out of not abusing it and you will have better fundamentals because of it. Also, just going into training and just mess around with Ike and see what you can do. I can go further like removing the Jab locks and reducing the armor on Aether and Eruption, but I think this is the most important.
Okay, so I took your advice, and GOD. Even with the Super Armor being taken away (that thing made for some hype moments in desperate situations), Ike's Up Smash is crazy for recovery with how much horizontal distance he can get. The Quick Draw wasn't easy to get used to, but I managed, and I am impressed with how much you can do with it. The fact I can fake out a QD by ending it behind my opponent really helps bring in the unpredictability, and I have been able to do a QD Cancel a couple of times (I loved QD Canceling it into an Aether or Grab), though I need to get the timing of it down considering I use a WiiMote in sideways position.* And I have learned the hard to not overuse the QD, as if I don't react in time, I end up screwing my a** over in the end. The Jab combo unlock is nice to have, though I usually rely on the full combo because of how quick it is and how much damage it can do. Eruption, while also rid of Super Armor, has that meteor smash effect that I actually quite like. Though it has much more lag time than Ike's Dair, I personally feel it is better for that Hype moment when I am either at a 1 stock advantage and just want some disrespect, or if I get desperate and say "Screw it", and then jump into an Eruption meteor smash. Though this is rare, I usually keep to the edge to do it, but only against certain characters. Works against Fox and Falco's recovery very well, but horrible against Sheik and Squirtle-which I either take a defensive point and back up from the edge, or I meteor smash with Dair instead of Eruption due to it having better end frame data. Wall Jumping is still something I need to learn, as I haven't got the hang of it yet, but for being a Ike smasher ever since 2011 when I finally got a used copy of the game, Ike is better than ever in M than both Brawl and Wii U (God, the Wii U Ike needs some buffs-besides his physique). Anyways, since I have been playing Project M with my friends, I have gotten progressively better with Ike. I have also been to local Brawl tournaments, none to which I have won yet considering I've only participated in three, but I have gotten far-the farthest being QuarterFinals losing to a really good Ganondorf. Since it's summer and I don't have to worry about school (besides college planning) I think I may turn to tournaments listed on SmashBoards just to see must level against complete strangers who have more experience than me with other characters from PM, or post videos to show how I do and what I need to improve on. Anyways, that's all for me right now.

*Yes, I know this method is considered Forsaken because of how limited use it has, but give me a moment to explain. While using other characters give this method a bad name, using Ike with this method doesn't seem that different (to me at least) from using the WiiChuck method or the GC method. To be honest, I like where the buttons are placed. People say the B button for shielding is the s***iest placement for a shield button, but I beg to differ. I'd rather have the D-Pad jump than Up-Tilt, because I have learned to effectively Up-Tilt simultaneously pressing the Up button and the 1 button very fast (it's hard to do, but perfect it, and it's glorious). I can grab by pressing B and 2, which is nifty and is comfortable to do-why nobody has done or shown this before considering sources say you can only do it by pressing '-' or A and B simultaneously is beyond me. Maneuvering Ike with the WiiMote sideways is actually quite easy-even with the Quick Draw Cancel-as his attacks aren't complex as Ness or Pikachu's. Granted I still need to learn the Wall Jump, but nonetheless. Quick Smashing, while not much of an option, isn't much of an issue for me. ShortHopping is very nice on the WiiMote sideways, and so is air-dodging (though i will say air dodging in Melee compared to Brawl is something I REALLY need to get used to). Yes, I may not be able to walk slowly as easy when with a WiiMote sideways, or the double tapping on the directional pad is difficult if you don't have the timing down, but that doesn't mean I will throw it away for a GC method. I have tried both the GC and WiiChuck method-both to which I actually felt uncomfortable using, event after around two hours of use for each. In short, I just like using the WiiMote sideways the best.

Von Klavier

Smash Rookie
Many assess the Ike—Falco MU 70/30, Falco’s favour (some feel it's slightly less inauspicious—65/35, maybe 60/40 at best)—many also assert that Falco is Ike’s most difficult MU—do we feel that this is accurate? And if not, how should Ike play the MU to his favour?

Commander

Smash Ace
That isn't accurate. You need to work on powershielding and wavedashing out of shield to get close to Falco. Once you are close he won' have the ability to laser and you would then fight him like the other spacies. Dealing with lasers is difficult but I wouldn't put the match up in any different light than the Marth/Falco match up. Having fluid movement, that isn't reliant on quick draw, is the key to getting around the lasers.

X0dus

Smash Apprentice
Many assess the Ike—Falco MU 70/30, Falco’s favour (some feel it's slightly less inauspicious—65/35, maybe 60/40 at best)—many also assert that Falco is Ike’s most difficult MU—do we feel that this is accurate? And if not, how should Ike play the MU to his favour?
I think its closer to 65/35, at best 60/40. I can see it being even if the Ike can be really consistent at powershielding and dealing with Lasers and they body the **** out of each other after that. I've talked to Falco's and they say this match-up is hard for them because 1 good hit and there is a high chance they will die or be put in a really bad situation, they struggle with Comboing and following-up against Ike because of his weight and fall speed, and they don't know how to edgeguard him. Not sure how much of that is match-up knowledge.

I think Wolf, DDD, and Falcon are a little worse to much worse, especially DDD (At best, 70/30. Heysuess believes its 90/10 and there is no reason a good DDD should ever lose to an Ike and the Ike has to be God-like to win).

But Basically, Ike needs to learn how to powershield lasers consistently or be really good at dodging lasers.
Take him to stages with a lot of platforms or where it will be easier for you to dodge lasers.
Falco doesn't have many options to cover above him, so Nair is really good.
Every hit has to count, you need to kill him the second you hit him.
Ike chaingrabs Falco to like 40%, maybe 50% and up-throw is a great combo starter.
DI away when he hits you with Shine.
Beyond that, edgeguards and combos are similar to Fox except he is easier to kill.

Von Klavier

Smash Rookie
I think its closer to 65/35, at best 60/40. I can see it being even if the Ike can be really consistent at powershielding and dealing with Lasers and they body the **** out of each other after that. I've talked to Falco's and they say this match-up is hard for them because 1 good hit and there is a high chance they will die or be put in a really bad situation, they struggle with Comboing and following-up against Ike because of his weight and fall speed, and they don't know how to edgeguard him. Not sure how much of that is match-up knowledge.

I think Wolf, DDD, and Falcon are a little worse to much worse, especially DDD (At best, 70/30. Heysuess believes its 90/10 and there is no reason a good DDD should ever lose to an Ike and the Ike has to be God-like to win).

But Basically, Ike needs to learn how to powershield lasers consistently or be really good at dodging lasers.
Take him to stages with a lot of platforms or where it will be easier for you to dodge lasers.
Falco doesn't have many options to cover above him, so Nair is really good.
Every hit has to count, you need to kill him the second you hit him.
Ike chaingrabs Falco to like 40%, maybe 50% and up-throw is a great combo starter.
DI away when he hits you with Shine.
Beyond that, edgeguards and combos are similar to Fox except he is easier to kill.
I'm perplexed as to how Dedede counters Ike. All of Ike's aerial's have disjointed hitboxes that reach nearly as far, sometimes father than DDD's; ground spacing in neutral, I'd imagine, must be tricky, but Ike has QD mix-ups. What's more, Ike can combo Dedede given his size and falling speed. Dedede can gimp, but does that really polarise the MU so severely?

MLGF

Smash Lord
It's 60:40, stop quickdrawing and start dash dancing and the matchup becomes easier.

Top Bottom