• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's Matchups

NWRL

Smash Ace
Marth has an edge over Ike but your punish game is so insane as Ike that I'd put it at like 45-55 Ike-Marth.

The biggest thing in this matchup is avoiding his grabs and not letting yourself get baited with DD.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Question, if the other FE characters Fsmash my shield, could I just Side B them or nah? I know of other ways, I was just curious about this way.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Meant to add in the jump part~ kinda thought it was implied since you can't just do it immediately OoS.

X0dus

Smash Apprentice
Vs. Link? I've been struggling with this for a while.

ZestE

Smash Cadet
On another note, does anyone know how to edgeguard Squirtle? I lost a set to a Squirtle yesterday and was having trouble dealing with his up B.
Counter against waterfall has worked for me traditionally. I also once reverse QD daired from battlefield's platform over the tip of the waterfall and spiked him, but tbh I got so, so, so lucky.

While on the topic of the marth matchup, how do you DI that Uptilt juggle?

Lastly, any knowledge on how to DI G&W upb combos?

metroid1117

Smash Master
If you're above G&W and either to the middle or upper range of his up+B, then there's not much you can do except get hit by the combo. If you're off to the side and in the middle of his up+B range though, the best way to escape the up+B combo is to DI/SDI the opposite way that G&W is facing so that he overshoots your position. For example, if you're above and to the left of G&W, he'll be forced to up+B to the left in order to hit you - in this situation, the best way is to SDI to the right as he hits you so that he'll (hopefully) fly up past you to the side. However, if you're in the upper range of his up+B, you'll most likely still get hit.

Plumorchid

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm new to smashboards but I have been lurking for a while. I a currently struggling very hard with the dk matchup. Does anyone have matchup knowledge for me? : D

ZestE

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I'm new to smashboards but I have been lurking for a while. I a currently struggling very hard with the dk matchup. Does anyone have matchup knowledge for me? : D
Ike can do a lot against a DK recovery. Idk if you can space Fair so you don't get hit, but at the least you can trade with DK's up-b and keep slapping him.

Other than that, I heard a little while ago that you want to DI down and diagonally towards his back when he starts juggling you. Watch out for dash attack because DK's dash attack starts it all.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Counter against waterfall has worked for me traditionally. I also once reverse QD daired from battlefield's platform over the tip of the waterfall and spiked him, but tbh I got so, so, so lucky.

While on the topic of the marth matchup, how do you DI that Uptilt juggle?

This only works if the Squirtle goes high, if they're below Ike's counter will most likely not hit because it doesnt reach down below like Roy or Marth's counters

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Someone tell me what I'm doing wrong against this Marth game 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOxu9ULJoVM

I've lost last stock on Dreamland both times I've played this dude. It's probably a mix of DIing throw followups incorrectly, missing edgeguards, and not mixing up my options from ledge.

I also don't like the new DL, so why I keep bringing him there I don't know.

Chef2

Smash Apprentice
In general (not just game 3) you toss/smacked him onto platforms lots and always instantly followed up with an aerial underneath the platform. I think this follow up isn't that great because it will only connect if marth misses the tech. Instead, waveland onto the platform and look for a grab (if not at kill %) or a dsmash/utilt/ftilt (kill %) or just wait patiently underneath and time a utilt. Probably get more success with this. Not to say you can't aerial, Ike's aerials cover platforms really well, just don't aerial right as marth is about to land, the tech will cause a whiff. Slow down and wait for the tech.

Game 3 specifics
-945: marth has no double jump and you ran off the platform and let him land. All marth has is dair (which nair and utilt out space) and counter to come down. Recognize the helpless marth and shark him.
-1020: You coulda grabbed ledge and gg. Remember it only takes the invincibility of ledge roll to hog the edge vs marth. If you feel it's too risky to grab the edge, at least swing a fair. A well timed fair can hit all but the most perfect sweetspots.
-1040: a specific example of the platform stuff I mentioned. You fthrow him onto the platform and fair. The tech makes the fair miss. The platform is high, so utilt ing under it probably isn't good. You coulda QD->waveland on the platform, then looked to dsmash or ftilt since marth was at kill %
-1120: last time I point these out but yeah you tossed him on a platform and aerial'd, coulda landed and punished.
-1150: a ledge grab woulda been risky but you could have easily faired him for the kill.
-1225: uthrow->reverse Bair when marth was at 20%. I suppose if this hit you might have got a follow up but nair would get you follow ups and be easier to hit.

I forget where in the video but marth was jabbing you in shield grab range and you rolled and got hit. You can shield grab math between jabs, you might take damage but it's worth.

I'm no pro so take all this with a grain of salt but overall good job dude marth is a tough match up and you coulda won!

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
I know this is a rather open ended question, but how do you guys feel about the ditto? I've got a national coming up Sunday (McSm4shter), and Ally/Vwins/RaynEx will be in attendance.

Also, Kage is going as well as Armada. Any insight on the Pit MU (haven't played it in ages) would be fantastic :)

Chef2

Smash Apprentice
I know this is a rather open ended question, but how do you guys feel about the ditto? I've got a national coming up Sunday (McSm4shter), and Ally/Vwins/RaynEx will be in attendance.

Also, Kage is going as well as Armada. Any insight on the Pit MU (haven't played it in ages) would be fantastic :)
Well I have open ended insight for your open ended question haha. I have two other Ike's in my area and I've only ever played them in friendlies, but the most useful thing I've taken away is that all Ike's play a little differently. So play smart, really try to download your opponent instead of never evolving your gameplay during the set. Anyways some basic stuff I noticed is that:
-most chars can't punish fair, even though it has 13 frames of l-cancel lag, cause it covers so much space. Ike has QuickDraw, and if you have it primed before the other ike lands, you get a free grab or QD attack on the landing lag
-ftilt out ranges aether. Granted ike can move to hit you with aether but if he's just going for ledge and is even a little high on the sweetspot, a low angled ftilt is a great option. If he does drift into the stage you can shield and then punish anyways
-be confident in your spot dodges. We play ike, we know his moves, and I'd say ike is one of the best chars to spot dodge vs. Telegraphed attacks, few active frames and no quick follow up outside of jab/grab. Spot dodging an attack usually yields great results.
-this might be cause were not top level players but I find QuickDraw approaches work rather well (provided my opponent is grounded). I'm not sure what ike has to deal with QuickDraw outside of well timed spot dodges/attacks, or jumping, in which case jumping out of QuickDraw with a nair should beat anything they do from above you
-practice an unusual stage and counter pick it! This is one of the ways to actually have an edge in a ditto. Maybe get good with the platforms and slant on lylat or work on platform stuff on distant planet.
-centre stage! Always important, but I find it hugely so with ike, and in dittos well it's big too

Minor stuff but hopefully it helps :)

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
Well I have open ended insight for your open ended question haha. I have two other Ike's in my area and I've only ever played them in friendlies, but the most useful thing I've taken away is that all Ike's play a little differently. So play smart, really try to download your opponent instead of never evolving your gameplay during the set. Anyways some basic stuff I noticed is that:
-most chars can't punish fair, even though it has 13 frames of l-cancel lag, cause it covers so much space. Ike has QuickDraw, and if you have it primed before the other ike lands, you get a free grab or QD attack on the landing lag
-ftilt out ranges aether. Granted ike can move to hit you with aether but if he's just going for ledge and is even a little high on the sweetspot, a low angled ftilt is a great option. If he does drift into the stage you can shield and then punish anyways
-be confident in your spot dodges. We play ike, we know his moves, and I'd say ike is one of the best chars to spot dodge vs. Telegraphed attacks, few active frames and no quick follow up outside of jab/grab. Spot dodging an attack usually yields great results.
-this might be cause were not top level players but I find QuickDraw approaches work rather well (provided my opponent is grounded). I'm not sure what ike has to deal with QuickDraw outside of well timed spot dodges/attacks, or jumping, in which case jumping out of QuickDraw with a nair should beat anything they do from above you
-practice an unusual stage and counter pick it! This is one of the ways to actually have an edge in a ditto. Maybe get good with the platforms and slant on lylat or work on platform stuff on distant planet.
-centre stage! Always important, but I find it hugely so with ike, and in dittos well it's big too

Minor stuff but hopefully it helps :)
Granted my play style is more of an over the top aggro + spacing oriented style, I'll try to make use of the f tilt edge guard. I feel like QD RAR weak dair to bair is the most effective method to edge guard QD, and ledge hogging aether (imo) might be the safest route, considering how much a grab can lead to. I like the idea of unconventional counter pick usage; I may just give it a try!

Fair/Ftilt are great for spacing due to how safe they are on shield, but I feel like an Ike ditto may revolve more around QD option select vs nair and spotdodge. I think this theory crafting will go a long way :)

As for Armada, if he goes Fox I may speak w/ Vwins and Ally on how they address the issue of a more methodical Fox. Thanks, and wish me luck guys!

Chef2

Smash Apprentice
Yeah if you can edge hog the aether awesome do that but if your a little late a low angled f tilt works pretty good. Or a fair if your coming from a distance. Fair hits lower but not as far horizontally as ftilt.

Oh yeah forgot to mention if your trying to edgeguard QD, the 3.5 nerf to the size of the attack makes it so ftilt now out spaces the QD attack, so if you can't get ledge or get out there with an aerial, toss an ftilt out and hope for the best!

And good luck :)

MLGF

Smash Lord
What are good combos on Diddy?
He's kinda annoying to combo for me.

metroid1117

Smash Master
What are good combos on Diddy?
He's kinda annoying to combo for me.
UThrow is your best bet - his fallspeed is similar to Lucas', so you can do some nasty things like UThrow -> (reverse) BAir or UThrow -> NAir. His aerial mobility isn't nearly as strong as his grounded mobility, so use that to your advantage by constantly sharking under him with NAirs or UTilts if you think he'll challenge you from above.

JRDusty

Smash Rookie
Can somebody give me an idea of how the neutral game should play out optimally from both players in the Fox vs. Ike matchup?

MLGF

Smash Lord
Don't get hungry fishing for grabs. Keep distance and have strong dash dancing. Nairs can lead to death combos on Fox around 50% so go for them when you can an opening, preferably out of QD to appear less predictable/get more momentum. You want to avoid getting into a situation where Fox can get in your face since Ike has poor oos options. Ike's punish game is insane on Fox, but Fox has a solid punish game on Fox, and pressure that makes him cry.

Play safe, move a lot, avoid unnecessary options. As a very aggro Ike, you want to avoid any unnecessary approaches. It's a rough matchup in the neutral, but it certainly is doable.

K.O.

Smash Rookie
Hey, guys! I was wondering if you guys have any advice on the Ike vs. C.Falcon matchup? I realized that my lack of inexperience against it makes me completely throw away games.

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
Hey, guys! I was wondering if you guys have any advice on the Ike vs. C.Falcon matchup? I realized that my lack of inexperience against it makes me completely throw away games.
If this is the same person that almost beat Bernard (RaynEx) at McSmashter, good stuff. Wish I saw it!

personally, I think Ike Falcon is 55-45 for Falcon. If you let the falcon approach, retreating bair destroys him. Also make sure that if you get a tech chase going, don't drop it. nair and regrab work wonders in comboing falcon. also fair hits below ledge and beats side b and up b. If you look at the first game from the vid I'm gonna link, you can see how to combo/edge guard effectively. My first close set w/ Austin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2rhmLaLFas

Last edited:

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
Also guys, how to fight vs wolf lasers and pressure? any1 pls

Chef2

Smash Apprentice
Also guys, how to fight vs wolf lasers and pressure? any1 pls
EDIT/TL;DR: Wolf only has two shield pressure options that can't be rolled out of, nair -> shine is a true link, and multi shines can only be spot dodged, not rolled. So if your opponent never multi shines, and you don't try rolling after getting hit with nair in shield, roll gets ike out of every other situation. Main reason wolf shield pressure isn't as good as fox/Falco is wolf can't link an aerial after his shine. In fact, a perfect shine->nair (his fastest option) gives ike 8 frames to work with.

EDIT #2: Wolf actually has 3 combos that can't be rolled out of, but the third is a perfectly low dair on shield ->shine. If done frame perfect, ike has a 3 frame advantage, and it takes 4 frames to roll, so a wolf COULD catch your roll after a dair, but he has to hit the dair on a 1 frame input before the ground... So your probably still good to roll.

I think in general this matchup is bad for ike. Ike and wolf are my mains and I play vs lots of Ike's and wolf's so I feel confident in my matchup knowledge.

Regarding pressure:
1. Nair true combos into shine both on shield and hit. You have to respect this.
2. Dair true comboes into shine on hit, but not on shield. However, you (ike) have very few frames to work with before the shine comes out. If wolf does a perfect dair (the hitbox strikes Ike's shield just before wolf lands), ike has a 3 frame advantage, which is enough to spot dodge but not roll. Again, this is on a perfect dair, and it takes 4 frames to roll, so most of the time you should be able to roll out of the shine follow up.
3. Although it's very technical, it really sucks for ike and any character that can be hit by full hop dair while in shield, because wolf can slip in another aerial before landing. I popped an Ike's shield twice in a set (he wasn't the best) by doing full hop dair->falling nair->shine->repeat. Your only window to get out is between the full hop and dair, once the dair hits wolf can link the nair shine together. Wolf can also use back air or up air after the dair, but this isn't as good as nair for shield pressure. If a wolf is doing this string to you, just roll after shine.
4. Wolfs multi shine (shine on shield->JC->shine on shield) if done perfect, gives ike a two frame advantage (same as falcos), which means you have enough time to spot dodge but not roll.
5. Wolfs shine->grab gives ike 5 frames of advantage, meaning you can roll. Combining this with point 4 means if your opponent is mixing up multi shines with shine grabs, your safest option is just spot dodge, as multi shine hits the roll.
6. This got a little long but in general (and this is probably the best thing to take away that's easy to remember), ike has very big windows to escape pressure between shine->aerial. A perfect shine->nair (fastest hitbox) gives ike 8 frames to work with after the shine. You could probably jump OoS to safety. Most wolfs aren't doing multi shines and shine grabs, I see a lot of just shine->dair, shine->nair. So if you pick up that wolf is only shine->aerial'ing you, just roll after shines. To repeat (I wanna stress this, this really shoulda been my first point), wolf can't link an aerial after a shine like fox or Falco, you have plenty of time to roll.

Annndd lasers:
1. Ike can jab lasers. So if he's not approaching with lasers just safely clank them out.
2. Laser->waveland shoots the laser really low. You can short hop over and punish with nair or even empty hop pivot grab/jab. Of course, this is a bit of a read, but if wolfs at a good distance to laser->waveland (battlefield platform, maybe further away), and you see him jump and whip out that gun, chances are he's approaching, do a short hop and that will hopefully dodge the laser. Actually on second thought the empty hop is probably the way to go, since if he wavelands back, you don't have to deal with the lag of an aerial.
3. All sword attacks beat the laser, so if you can time fairs and nair to eat laser and hit the wolf great but I think it's a little impractical to do consistently. Ftilt isn't bad for this either.
4. Lasers move relatively slow compared to falcos, so power shielding isn't too hard.
5. Fun fact, laser moves exactly as fast as wolfs running speed.

These always get so long my bad haha. But hopefully it helps!

I realize this is mostly shield pressure stuff, so if your bored and want some heavy in depth match up reading, head over to the Wolf thread and find the title "Wolf vs Ike Matchup", lotta community members chipped in too, so there's some good info!

Last edited:

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
EDIT/TL;DR: Wolf only has two shield pressure options that can't be rolled out of, nair -> shine is a true link, and multi shines can only be spot dodged, not rolled. So if your opponent never multi shines, and you don't try rolling after getting hit with nair in shield, roll gets ike out of every other situation. Main reason wolf shield pressure isn't as good as fox/Falco is wolf can't link an aerial after his shine. In fact, a perfect shine->nair (his fastest option) gives ike 8 frames to work with.
EDIT #2: Wolf actually has 3 combos that can't be rolled out of, but the third is a perfectly low dair on shield ->shine. If done frame perfect, ike has a 3 frame advantage, and it takes 4 frames to roll, so a wolf COULD catch your roll after a dair, but he has to hit the dair on a 1 frame input before the ground... So your probably still good to roll.

I think in general this matchup is bad for ike. Ike and wolf are my mains and I play vs lots of Ike's and wolf's so I feel confident in my matchup knowledge.

Regarding pressure:
1. Nair true combos into shine both on shield and hit. You have to respect this.
2. Dair true comboes into shine on hit, but not on shield. However, you (ike) have very few frames to work with before the shine comes out. If wolf does a perfect dair (the hitbox strikes Ike's shield just before wolf lands), ike has a 3 frame advantage, which is enough to spot dodge but not roll. Again, this is on a perfect dair, and it takes 4 frames to roll, so most of the time you should be able to roll out of the shine follow up.
3. Although it's very technical, it really sucks for ike and any character that can be hit by full hop dair while in shield, because wolf can slip in another aerial before landing. I popped an Ike's shield twice in a set (he wasn't the best) by doing full hop dair->falling nair->shine->repeat. Your only window to get out is between the full hop and dair, once the dair hits wolf can link the nair shine together. Wolf can also use back air or up air after the dair, but this isn't as good as nair for shield pressure. If a wolf is doing this string to you, just roll after shine.
4. Wolfs multi shine (shine on shield->JC->shine on shield) if done perfect, gives ike a two frame advantage (same as falcos), which means you have enough time to spot dodge but not roll.
5. Wolfs shine->grab gives ike 5 frames of advantage, meaning you can roll. Combining this with point 4 means if your opponent is mixing up multi shines with shine grabs, your safest option is just spot dodge, as multi shine hits the roll.
6. This got a little long but in general (and this is probably the best thing to take away that's easy to remember), ike has very big windows to escape pressure between shine->aerial. A perfect shine->nair (fastest hitbox) gives ike 8 frames to work with after the shine. You could probably jump OoS to safety. Most wolfs aren't doing multi shines and shine grabs, I see a lot of just shine->dair, shine->nair. So if you pick up that wolf is only shine->aerial'ing you, just roll after shines. To repeat (I wanna stress this, this really shoulda been my first point), wolf can't link an aerial after a shine like fox or Falco, you have plenty of time to roll.

Annndd lasers:
1. Ike can jab lasers. So if he's not approaching with lasers just safely clank them out.
2. Laser->waveland shoots the laser really low. You can short hop over and punish with nair or even empty hop pivot grab/jab. Of course, this is a bit of a read, but if wolfs at a good distance to laser->waveland (battlefield platform, maybe further away), and you see him jump and whip out that gun, chances are he's approaching, do a short hop and that will hopefully dodge the laser. Actually on second thought the empty hop is probably the way to go, since if he wavelands back, you don't have to deal with the lag of an aerial.
3. All sword attacks beat the laser, so if you can time fairs and nair to eat laser and hit the wolf great but I think it's a little impractical to do consistently. Ftilt isn't bad for this either.
4. Fun fact, laser moves as fast as wolfs running speed.

These always get so long my bad haha. But hopefully it helps!

I realize this is mostly shield pressure stuff, so if your bored and want some heavy in depth match up reading, head over to the Wolf thread and find the title "Wolf vs Ike Matchup", lotta community members chipped in too, so there's some good info!
I figured this matchup was more difficult than I expected. I'll take all this into consideration when I get back into practicing, I'll see if I can lab this with my opponent or someone else. Kinda hard to lab a matchup alone when unsure of the frame data + what properties of certain moves :) Thanks

Chef2

Smash Apprentice
No problem good luck in the lab! :)

Yeah I got two Ike's (one good, we never do better than 2 stock each other in dittos, and the other one is still kinda getting into the scene), and three wolfs in my area. I've friendlied with the good ike and the wolfs lots, and we all agree it's a bad match up. Wolf wins the neutral at least twice as often as ike (70:30 I'd say) and ike is a perfect combo weight and size. Wolfs dsmash sends Ike into that awkward recovery zone, and it shield pokes Ike's feet so easily. Ike is tall enough to get hit by two aerials in a wolf full hop. Wolf Fsmash is so good for hitting missed aether sweet spots cause you safely sit back till the hitbox disappears on the last spin, then fly in with a fast and powerful smash to get Ike back off stage. Bair interrupts QD recoveries. Back throw sets up wolf side B starting at like 80 all the way into the 200's depending on di and such. Laser-campy-only-approach-off-laser-confirm wolf sucks for ike too.

On the flip side Ike has chain grabs, KO power, spacing, juggles and edge guarding, but this is so much less than what wolf has going for him.

To get a practical idea, I consistently 2-3 stock the good Ike with wolf when our Ike dittos go to last stock.

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
Quick question; I have some friends who think I'm over exaggerating the Ike Wolf matchup (idk why, I'm not even mad or whining). Is Wolf Ike's worst matchup? If not, who else contends? I personally don't see Ike many matchups (only wolf really comes to mind). Thoughts and reasons why?

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Quick question; I have some friends who think I'm over exaggerating the Ike Wolf matchup (idk why, I'm not even mad or whining). Is Wolf Ike's worst matchup? If not, who else contends? I personally don't see Ike many matchups (only wolf really comes to mind). Thoughts and reasons why?
I'm going to assume you're leaving Fox out of this question by default because it doesn't make sense otherwise.

Chef2

Smash Apprentice
Wolf is a bad match up for Ike. I got an essay in the wolf forums on reasons why under the title "Wolf vs Ike matchup". Short version: wolf has a nice projectile to stuff QuickDraw and cover his approaches, he's fast, his grabs can start comboes at low-mid% and set up kills at high % (bthrow flash is beast once ike breaks 100), fantastic pressure, a kit that is entirely about comboes on a character who is the perfect weight and size for comboes, and wolf still has like 4 strong and reliable kill options.

With a cast this big, I'd say it's personal preference. I hate Falco and Sheik. Lots hate fox and marth. People play the same character differently too (I hate campy Falco but aggro isn't as bad) so I don't know if there is a definitive answer haha. If wolf is YOUR worst match up, then it's your worst match up :p

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
I honestly don't see Ike Fox being that bad; maybe with how the ever changing meta is we can all agree space animals are a matchup we either go even in or lose.

K.O.

Smash Rookie
If this is the same person that almost beat Bernard (RaynEx) at McSmashter, good stuff. Wish I saw it!

personally, I think Ike Falcon is 55-45 for Falcon. If you let the falcon approach, retreating bair destroys him. Also make sure that if you get a tech chase going, don't drop it. nair and regrab work wonders in comboing falcon. also fair hits below ledge and beats side b and up b. If you look at the first game from the vid I'm gonna link, you can see how to combo/edge guard effectively. My first close set w/ Austin.
Yeah, I almost took the first game off in R1 pools, but I screwed up multiple times haha. Yeah, I saw your doubles' match in top 16. Your play is pretty smooth. Made me wish I stuck around to play everyone around in the Canadian scene.

But thanks for the info/insight! I'll definitely study it thoroughly!

GmJn

Smash Ace
Can anyone give me tips vs falco? A friend of mine mains him and long story short I inadvertently ended up in a money math challenge. I have to play him sometime on the weekend next week.

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
Kirby vs. Ike? I'm not sure how I should fight him.
Don't get grabbed, don't got for grabs if he crouches a lot, space with nair/fair, don't get hit by horizontal upb (best to run away and space a tilt or fair to beat the ending, just don't shield it then let got after the hit; he can aerial almost immediately after). Don't go deep on his recovery, just try to outspace him in general. If you get a grab, fthrow fair at mid-high %s kills decently early

X0dus

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone give me tips vs falco? A friend of mine mains him and long story short I inadvertently ended up in a money math challenge. I have to play him sometime on the weekend next week.
I asked Axe and Medz about this, according them, Ike HAS to kill him the second he gets a grab or hit. Powershielding is your best friend because a lot of Falco's go into a rhythm or auto-pilot and it screws them up. If you can't do that, you will have to move around it on stages like Battlefield. Falco also has like no options for attacking above him so you should try to strike above him.
Also this, we talked about this not too long ago:
I find Falco rough. Possibly Ike's worst matchup? Especially a laser campy Falco forcing you to approach. I find Ike's long jump squat, high shorthop and slow jump make it difficult to maneuver around the lasers unless you have some convenient platforms. Ike being tall really compliments falcos vertical combo game. One hit and your getting smacked around the stage. Falco I play vs. likes his dsmash, it sends ike into that tough recovery spot even at like 80%.

On the flip side you have zero to death chain grabs and almost free edge guards, but with the stage list and ban meta your game 1 is probably gonna be on a platform stage.

Both characters combo eachother hard but Falco has such an easy time in neutral I just think it's bad for ike. I personally switch to my secondary wolf for this one.
Also, Ike chaingrabs him to 45%, walk-off Fair is really good, and Jab beats his Side-B.

Last edited:

GmJn

Smash Ace
I asked Axe and Medz about this, according them, Ike HAS to kill him the second he gets a grab or hit. Powershielding is your best friend because a lot of Falco's go into a rhythm or auto-pilot and it screws them up. If you can't do that, you will have to move around it on stages like Battlefield. Falco also has like no options for attacking above him so you should try to strike above him.
Also this, we talked about this not too long ago:

Also, Ike chaingrabs him to 45%, walk-off Fair is really good, and Jab beats his Side-B.
Thanks for the advice, I really want to win the money match. Not for the money more to prove a point.

Top Bottom