• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
So you don't care how different they are, they use swords so they're the same? Even if Ike does shoot a magical blast from the end of his sword, he's still the same as Link and Marth because he uses a sword?
No, I don't care how varied their styles are. I'm talking about the fact that visually, it'll a bit tiring all the "fantasy heroes" in Brawl have swords.

Seriously, you wouldn't like to have a choice between a swordsman, an axman, or a lancer?

xianfeng

Smash Hero
But there are no good lancers in Fire Emblem. Ephraim is boring and unpopular from a horrible game, Nephenee is a fantastically brilliant unit but she's generic so she won't make it, Devdan is funny but also generic, Nadved is odd but also generic, Brad kicks arse but also won't make it and neither will Kieren. (Those are all the Lance users I can think of right now).
Also I doubt the Black Knight would get in allthough he would be awsome and now that it's confirmed
Zelgius is the Black Knight and he is a branded
. Just so you know that MASSIVE spoiler.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
But there are no good lancers in Fire Emblem. Ephraim is boring and unpopular from a horrible game, Nephenee is a fantastically brilliant unit but she's generic so she won't make it, Devdan is funny but also generic, Nadved is odd but also generic, Brad kicks arse but also won't make it and neither will Kieren. (Those are all the Lance users I can think of right now).
Also I doubt the Black Knight would get in allthough he would be awsome and now that it's confirmed
Zelgius is the Black Knight and he is a branded
. Just so you know that MASSIVE spoiler.
Who is that?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
What about Sain? And hey, Eliwood can use lances...sort of...I think. Personally I thought Ephraim was pretty *****in'.

Anyway, if there's absolutely NOONE as far as lancers go (and you're just being picky--admit it), get a magic user in there! Or better yet--the best idea ever, in fact--Anna the god-**** hint girl.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Chief Mendez said:
What about Sain? And hey, Eliwood can use lances...sort of...I think. Personally I thought Ephraim was pretty *****in'.
Eum, Sain and Eliwood both use lances while they ride on a horse. You think that a Brawl character could be mounted? How would they jump and double jump? How could they use aerials? No, seriously, we've seen trailers where Mario uses a lot of air combo's, including his Tornado which means that aerial combat is improved. And you think a mounted character could have aerials?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mendez what's it with your grudge against cool, populair and likely characters? o.O; Just a question. As for lance users, Sigurd would do since he's mostly presented with a lance in his hand. Ephraim would be cool, but very unlikely...

As for swords being unoriginal, check out games as Soul Calibur. Most of the characters there are sword fighters and the game is still pretty solid and has unique characters and styles. Why couldn't Brawl be like that? Besides, Ike pretty much uses his sword as if it where an axe so he'd play very diffrent from Link, Pit, MetaKnight and Marth atleast.

D

Deleted member

I hate Sigurd.

Any fool can have a spear on a horse. Ephraim did it on foot, and solely on foot until his promotion.

I'm posting this at school. Yay for me.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Ephraim is lame, just like his entire game and everyone from it. Allthough I hate Sigurd he is MUCH better than Ephraim, he has over twice the amount of personality in a single strand of hair than Ephraim does in his who incestrous body.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
As for swords being unoriginal, check out games as Soul Calibur. Most of the characters there are sword fighters and the game is still pretty solid and has unique characters and styles. Why couldn't Brawl be like that? Besides, Ike pretty much uses his sword as if it where an axe so he'd play very diffrent from Link, Pit, MetaKnight and Marth.
I thought I'd made this clear by now: I've nothing against swords, but when given the choice ( admittedly not present) to diversify by adding other weapons...why decide not to (particularly when your reasoning is something like "he's not popular enough in Japan")?

Xianfeng...as much as it may shock you...there are people who've only played the English games. Was Sigurd in any of them? Again, we reach an impasse.

P.S. 2 katanas, 1 greatsword, 1 shortsword, 1 whip sword, 1 rapier, 1 chinese sword, 1 korean short sword, 1 dirk and broadsword, 1 kunai, 1 axe, 1 nunchaku, 1 quarterstaff, 1 katar, 1 tonfa, 1 hammer. Lots of swords.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Sakurai won't care about us when it comes to Fire Emblem, Japan has had 6 more games than us, they know more about the series.
What's there to know? Only like, four of the games are sequels. Two of which are localized.

Look, here's my summarization.

US loves Smash more than Japan...US now has FE...with no reason to give us unrecognizable characters now, Sakurai will include ones we've seen before. Maybe despite what Japan wants, but remember: we're the bigger fans, and Smash is all about fan-service, right?

D

Deleted member

Sigurd > Ephraim on personality, yes. And not being incestuous.

Ephraim = Sigurd on power (mine maxed EVERY STAT).

Ephraim > Sigurd on being the first lance lord on foot. And in being in the US.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Chief, you still forget that the makerss of smash brothers are japanese, and therefore will cater to the japanese fans more than international areas. Or did you forget that the poll was only in Japan.

As much as I'd like to see Lyn, Hector or Ephraim in the game, in Japan they are overshadowed by the favourites of the Japanese, namely Marth, Sigurd and recently Ike. Even if there are 4 FE characters in Brawl, the chances of Sakurai adding a character solely to please international fans is very unlikely, and probably just settle with Ike. Sakurai did say that he'd refrain from adding Japanese only characters though, but he still may add Sigurd due to his immense popularity (though I don't think he's incredibly likely), and might pull characters from PoR and GoD. Though I won't say there is no chance we will see other FE characters that have yet to appear outside Japan.

However, simply arguing that Ike shouldn't be in because he uses a sword is pointless. Most main characters in any fantasy setting use swords, so it's unavoidable that brawl will get more swordsmen. However, the smash team are very capable, and Ike already has qualities to set him apart from the other swordsman in smash (Link, Meta-Knight, Pit being confirmed, with Marth having a very good chance of returning). If it's simply an aesthetical issue, then that's simply opinion, probably one that Sakurai doesn't agree with. Fact is, if Marth and Ike play differently enouh, then most fans would be happy, regrdless that they both have blue hair.

As for Sigurd, I'm not too sure. He seems incredibly popular in Japan, and anyone outside Japan who's played his game see to like him too. However, if he does get added, it'll probably be as a swordsman. He does use a spear, but most art I've seen of him as him wielding a sword, plus I think his best weapon was a sword, and so far all Lords have had their ultimate weapon. And if we are to believe the rumours that he was going to be added in melee as a Marth clone, then it seems that Sakurai intended on giving him a sword based moveset. Still, he's the most likely Japan only FE character, and still has a fairly good chance of getting in (though only after Marth and Ike)

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
To clarify: I never argued against Ike at all. I did, however, argue against Marth returning on the grounds (among others) that we've got too many swordsmen already.

And I may be wrong, but I choose to believe that Sakurai and Nintendo aren't horrible racists; listening to fans in Japan over the US (at least when it comes to FE) soley because they've had more games available in their native tongue.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Actually, I'd argue that FE is more popular in Japan than anywhere else. And isn't so much racism as just mainly catering to their national audience. Personally, I think there's enough room for both Marth and Ike if they play differently enough.

Though I agree that for the 3rd (and maybe 4th if there is one) FE slot it should someone other than a sword wielder (which is why I'm particularly against the Black Knight).

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Actually, I'd argue that FE is more popular in Japan than anywhere else. And isn't so much racism as just mainly catering to their national audience. Personally, I think there's enough room for both Marth and Ike if they play differently enough.

Though I agree that for the 3rd (and maybe 4th if there is one) FE slot it should someone other than a sword wielder (which is why I'm particularly against the Black Knight).
I'll give you your first point, but on the other hand, Smash Bros. is much more popular over here. When you put it like that...eh, I guess I could see it going either way...even though I still support my view.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
How would Marth and Ike be similar? If you've played FE you'll understand this.

Marth is like a myrimdon (with a bit better STR and a bit less SPD) and Ike is like a Mercenary who always has a Rune Sword. So still think they are similar?
If you do you are a moron because everybody knows Mercenarys >>>>>>>> Myrimdons (ESPECIALLY in FE7, they were horrible in that game)

BurningCrusader777

Smash Journeyman
Well, even if that argument about swords were valid, I'm pretty sure that I heard somewhere else on these boards that Ike gets the use of an Axe in GoD. Alt skin with an Axe, anyone? Ike pretty much uses his swords like Axes anyway...

I

i8waffles612

I dont mind if they add Ike and Black Knight, but i would like it if Marth and Roy stayed, but Roy with a different moveset then Marth

zKillah

Smash Journeyman
Don't know if anyone is interested, but this site has 3 cutscenes from Goddess of Dawn. We get a good look at the Greil Mercenaries, some Laguz, and the new lord.

The castle in the trailer could be using an updated version of the Daein emblem from the upcoming game, in which case I believe Ike would be a lock for Brawl's roster. I would like to see a non-sword user from FE make an appearance- maybe magic or a laguz.

My top three would be Micaicah -the new lord; Sothe- he has a dagger, but uses a lot of physical attacks; and Boyd- really can't explain it.

A villain would be nice but, no matter how hard I try, I can't see the Black Knight in brawl. I like the character, but he would just be out of place in SSB as I see it.

T!me_spir!T

Smash Rookie
IKE HAS to come to BRAWL!

...and I think that Boyd or any other character from the "newer" FE-Games should join, too.

Marth and Roy are not very important but... that's just my opinion.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I think maybe they should keep Roy and Marth would be replaced by Ike. I'm not really familiar with the FE series, but Marth annoyed the crap out of me in Melee...EVERYONE played him and immediately was insta-pwning everyone...

Anyway, I don't really care. But Ike and Marth seem too similar. (Yes, I realize Marth was the original hero of the series.)

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
1. Ike is nothing like Marth.
2. Hardly anyone MAINS Marth, he's usually their secondary character that they use against spacies. Everyone plays space animals, so people learn Marth rather than have a bunch of dittos. That Marth grudge gets really annoying after awhile and I really don't think he deserves that bad reputation.
3. I didn't see the flag in the video and nearly every single FE villan lives in a castle. That video proves nothing.
4. Marth is much more important to the FE series than Roy, so Marth would be the last to go.

DainBramaged

Smash Ace
Yes, Ike should replace Marth, totaly...

Marth and Roy are not very important but... that's just my opinion.
kk...this is stupid... ANYONE who is thinking of REPLACING or dropping marth, has problems.

Marth was THEE FIRST Fire emblem lord In the series.....He is also THEE ONLY fire emblem lord to have the lead role in TWO FE games!!!! He even had his own frickon Anime!!... His inclusion in melee was due to over demanding popularity from Japan.....and NOW he has so many MORE fans just from Melee........There is no F#*&!ng chance that he won't retourn, and anyone who thinks otherwise is just dead wrong.....

to replace Marth, would be like replacing Pikachu with new pokemon........it's just not going to happen..... not saying Ike won't be included....just saying Marth WILL NOT be dropped

GenG

Smash Lord
That castle is not from Goddess of the Dawn. This reminds me of when The Blazing Sword was released in Japan, and everybody started to claim that Hector was Marth and Eliwood was Roy, without even reading the names.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Although Eliwood did look a little like Roy, being his father and all. But, that Hector=Marth thing was just rediculous. Any news on where the castle is actually from?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Sweet. Marth 99.999% confirmed. I hope FE gets more than two character slots though. Then we could have Marth, Ike, and whatever other Lord people seem to agree on.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
I really think FE is going to be giving about 4 or more Characters, becouse its popularity has gone tru the roof, and adding to it will make fans very happy.

Zeela12

Smash Ace
I hate Ike, alot. but still, I like Fire emblem too much to not want him in. so I guess I support Ike in SSBB 100%

and Ike definatly has one of the highest chances out of all FE characters to be in it, (mabey lower than marth)

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Here's a question. Should any Fe characters be avaliable right from the start this time if since it's popularity has increased and there will ost likely be more FE chars in this then SSBM.

Top Bottom