• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike

komickid

Smash Apprentice
I think ike will be fairly heavy because sakurai has essentially told us that. He has a two hander and that is fairly heavy. If ganondorf is in and he is wielding a sword ike will be lighter than him.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Yay! Sakurai must LOVE Final Cutter, he gave it to Ike! He also renamed it so it sounds cooler.

Eruption?!!?? How dare he rip-off the magic-users of Fire Emblem! I am soooo pissed about that. We're not getting an FE mage now. GOD**** YOU SAKURAI.

Oh well, at least Sakurai didn't ruin any GOOD Fire Emblem Lord yet; must be saving the ingenuity for them.
Lyn/Hector/Ephraim for Brawl!

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Yay! Sakurai must LOVE Final Cutter, he gave it to Ike! He also renamed it so it sounds cooler.

Eruption?!!?? How dare he rip-off the magic-users of Fire Emblem! I am soooo pissed about that. We're not getting an FE mage now. GOD**** YOU SAKURAI.

Oh well, at least Sakurai didn't ruin any GOOD Fire Emblem Lord yet; must be saving the ingenuity for them.
Lyn/Hector/Ephraim for Brawl!

HOW MANY TIME I SAID IT IKE B^ IT'S AN ORIGINAL MOVE FROM HIS GAME

NOT KIRBY'S FINAL CUTTERR !!!!!!!!

Edit:IKE IS THE BEST LORD EVER U CAN'T COMPARE IT WHIT OTHER LORDS

zKillah

Smash Journeyman

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V4CsnIdq2U8 at 1:06

Sakurai had very little to do with the move at all. He didn't name it or design it. He practically ripped the move from Path of Radiance and used it in Brawl. I don't have a problem with it, I'm just tired of people saying it's a Final Cutter rip-off

Gannondorf the fifth

Smash Apprentice
Three things are for sure though. 1. Ike's a heavy character. That's amazing considering the weight factors of the other swordsmen we've seen in melee. 2. His special moves are absolutely bad a s s. and 3. Sakurai doesn't limit the possibility of the super huge special moves to just Ike, and suggests that it'll be possible for ALL the heavyweights to have some mega destructive moves that set them apart. Why am I happy about that? 1. Ganondorf will not be a falcon clone, eriod. 2. He might actually have an entire moveset to himself this time around. I'm excited.

krynny

Smash Cadet
well, Ike was awesome in PoR and looks cool in brawl. even tho its an original move, it does seem similar to kirby's. both look like they can hit ppl on the way up and down, except Ike wont flinch if hit on his. what would be nice is to see a villain from FE make the roster.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
First off, I KNOW it's his move from his game. I'm a fan of Fire Emblem, I KNOW that. However, Sakurai could've easily changed it a little bit to differentiate it more from Final Cutter, like making him spin in the air instead of just up-and-down. Sort of a fusion of Final Cutter and Screwdriver from Samus.

I played FE9, I KNOW what I'm talking about, don't pretend I don't by giving me those youtube videos of his attacks.

Ike's game was horrible. Ike was boring and lame. I will remain pessimistic until Fire Emblem 10:Goddess of Dawn changes my mind. That is, if it can. Although I've heard great reviews.

zKillah

Smash Journeyman
@Kabyk-Greenmyst
I never accused you of not being a fan of Fire Emblem. But your earlier post had a ring of ignorance for the series. I ask, why would Sakurai change Aether for Brawl just because it bears some semblance of Kirby's final cutter? I'd rather him remain faithful to the source than tack on some needless twist.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
What It's The Best Fire Emblem Game Ever

U Can't Beat It By Othe I Hate All The Gba Fire Emblems

Btw Ike Is Aether It's The Same In Brawl
Please talk in English. I had to reread that several times to even understand what you're saying. The caps on all the words don't help.

Also, are you deaf? I know it's his special move from his game. I said that about three times! Sakurai can do whatever he wants, changing around an attack that has a specific design to it is not out of bounds for him. He gave him a magic spell. If I recall, Eruption was the top Fire magic(not entirely sure, it's been a while). There would've been no shame if he edited the movements a little to make it more unique for Brawl.

Ike's game was bland. A few of the missions I fully enjoyed though, such as Chapter 17 and the mission you rescue Nephenee and Sephiran. Other than that, I finished them to finish the game. I played FE7, if I recall correctly, normal and hard for both Eliwood and Hector. I played FE8 twice, following both Ephraims and Eirika's path.

As I said, FE10 DOES look promising, and I am waiting for it with eager eyes. I am expecting a great game out of it. Once that happens, I might change my mind about Ike. I hope it does.

@zKillah, why wouldn't he change around Ike's move to make him different than Final Cutter? There's just as much reason to change it, if not more so, than to keep it the same. Ike's not in Fire Emblem anymore. The same rules apply to this situation as does to every character who jumps to different games and genres. I have reasons why and reasons how above.

RWB

Smash Ace
ike not very slow chaer ike is fast in his game he is as power of hector

and speed of elliwod
Eliwood is pretty slow, Ike is more Lyn-nish in speed, and as powerful as... Eliwood? No, eliwood has more raw mt. Ephraim beats Hector for power however(going by legendaries).

Actually, Both Hector and Ephraim was better in comparison to the other units in their own games than Ike. Both are currently number 1 of their game's tier list. Ike isn't even top tier. XD

zKillah

Smash Journeyman
^^^
I think the point of Smash Bros is to bring Nintendo characters from an array of games an genres and pit them against each other in battle. Agreed? Now, does it not make sense for these characters to bring with them some abilities and skills that were readily visible in their own games? I'll concede the fact that because these characters are not being brought in from a strict fighting background, creative liberties should be taken to flesh out a full moveset.

Cap. Falcon comes to mind - all he did in F-Zero was drive. But his bounty hunter background and speed served as the foundation for his moves in the original SSB. I think the developers did a great job adapting a racer for a fighting game. Comparatively, Ganondorf was a major disappointment. Why? Because he had the proper background for a moveset - magic and a sword - that were ignored in his implementation.

Now, Sakurai does have the final say in how characters are represented in the game. But I believe his goal is to remain as faithful as he can to the source material before he takes creative liberties for the sake of originality. Ike's Aether from PoR is perfectly suited for Smash, and - despite how you feel about the game - Sakurai shouldn't have to change it based on a similarity to Kirby.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
^^^

Now, Sakurai does have the final say in how characters are represented in the game. But I believe his goal is to remain as faithful as he can to the source material before he takes creative liberties for the sake of originality. Ike's Aether from PoR is perfectly suited for Smash, and - despite how you feel about the game - Sakurai shouldn't have to change it based on a similarity to Kirby.
I do understand this and I respect this ideology. However, I do believe that this is still a fighting game, and originality is KEY. Representation of the character is important, but I think that specific moves for those characters should take a backseat to making the character unique for the game they are being implemented into, which is a fighting game where originality is what is most important in fighting games.

Sonic actually comes to mind in this. Sakurai will have to go out of box and search deep for some creative moves that are from all over the Sonic Universe, maybe even Chaos Control powers. This is because if he made a Sonic that is what he is most known for and what he does the most, he would have the exact same moves as jigg's rollout, yoshi's egg roll, samus screwdriver (debatable), etc.

The game that a character is going into should take priority over the game the character came from. This is my philosophy.

Also, I never said to change Aether completely, just a few adjustments to make it different from Final Cutter, but still recognizable as Aether.

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
i wonder what ikes other to moves will be, probably 1 will be that long range slash wave from the game

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
I do understand this and I respect this ideology. However, I do believe that this is still a fighting game, and originality is KEY. Representation of the character is important, but I think that specific moves for those characters should take a backseat to making the character unique for the game they are being implemented into, which is a fighting game where originality is what is most important in fighting games.

Sonic actually comes to mind in this. Sakurai will have to go out of box and search deep for some creative moves that are from all over the Sonic Universe, maybe even Chaos Control powers. This is because if he made a Sonic that is what he is most known for and what he does the most, he would have the exact same moves as jigg's rollout, yoshi's egg roll, samus screwdriver (debatable), etc.

The game that a character is going into should take priority over the game the character came from. This is my philosophy.

Also, I never said to change Aether completely, just a few adjustments to make it different from Final Cutter, but still recognizable as Aether.
T-t-take it easy, will ya! I personally think you're making way too big of a deal out of this. I mean come on, with a bunch of characters likely to be in the game (a bunch being a number for y'all to decide), there's gonna be something remotely common between them. Are you saying that every single special move is gonna be able to function completely different from other special moves? I don't see you throwing a big fit over Bowser's and DK's similar, yet different Up B moves, should they return.

In fact, I would like to also point out how Final Cutter and Aether are quite different. Kirby pulls some sort of sword out of nowhere, then flips up while holding it and slams down, plus send a projectile from the sword after landing. First Ike throws the sword, then he leaps after it and catches it in midair. Also, when Ike throws the sword up, he's left open to get hit. It's not yet known if Ike follows up with the second attack if he hits someone after connecting with the first one.

So, how are those two moves similar again and if so, are you maybe making this a huge issue when it's gonna be very hard for some moves to not be somewhat similar?

Text Only Sword

Smash Rookie

If that were the case, then we would be better off just having a fighting game with completely original characters, rather than taking them from readily established games. As has been said by people before me, the point of Smash Brothers is to have characters from different video games beat each other senseless in a blaze of glory. The actual characters, not thing that only look like them because Ike's signature move vaguely resembles Kirby's. In addition, Aether bears only a superficial resemblance to Final Cutter, in that they both involve jumping and swords.

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
The only part of Ike's up B move that is similar to Kirby's is when he slashes down with his sword horizontally. Kirby's sword, if i remember correctly is always horizontal even when flying up. Ike however when he gets near the top, (this is my prediction) is that he grabs his sword and spins in a circle forward then slashes down. The reason I'm saying this is because if you look at the screenshot given by Sakurai, you can see the air or force is thin under his legs. This effect makes it look like he has just spun in a circle and ends with the slash. It looks kinda like a scythe. It's quite different from kirby's. Anyways, its a cool move and I'm looking forward to play as Ike.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
that could be a very cool FS
(and seeing as GoD is coming out before brawl they could put somthing like that in and people would know it) can't wait to play it ^^

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
That would be neat, but I dont' think it's big enough to be a Final Smash...
That move seems to only hit one person, but so does Link's final smash, hitting one person. Or maybe its anyone in his way, so that could be the same with Ike's final smash, but where would Mciah come out of nowhere to give him power?

Seeing from that video, Ike might be fast in Brawl. Just because from Aether he won't flinch doesnt mean he will be heavy/slow, it could be just from the force of the attack at the end he won't move. But who knows.

Just a question, does Ike have any ranged attacks?

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
That move seems to only hit one person, but so does Link's final smash, hitting one person. Or maybe its anyone in his way, so that could be the same with Ike's final smash, but where would Mciah come out of nowhere to give him power?

Seeing from that video, Ike might be fast in Brawl. Just because from Aether he won't flinch doesnt mean he will be heavy/slow, it could be just from the force of the attack at the end he won't move. But who knows.

Just a question, does Ike have any ranged attacks?
I think that depends on the sword...

I'm pretty sure that in PoR, Ike's sword, the Ragnell, could hit enemies up an extra space away, and diagonally.

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
Oh shoot, thats pretty sick, I just started playing that game. So that means Ike doesnt have a ranged projectile attack right? He just has massive range.

Conformal_Invariance

Smash Journeyman
On the border of Westminster and Arvada, CO, in a
Oh shoot, thats pretty sick, I just started playing that game. So that means Ike doesnt have a ranged projectile attack right? He just has massive range.
The Ragnell will likely not function as it did in PoR.

Otherwise, every time Ike swung the blade from a distance, it'd release a wave of energy.

It might show up as a shorter range sort of thing on a few attacks...

Or perhaps his Final Smash will empower Ragnell to do so?

Who knows?

Ragnell sure does like to glow a lot, though.

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
Maybe Ike's forward B move will allow his Ragnell sword to release a short energy wave almost like the range of Kirby's up B. It's good to know he atleast has a projectile ish move. :D It might be since his sword glows. :D

Fawriel

Smash Master
Hrmm.

Roy also had a ranged attack in his game with the sword he uses in Melee.

Just throwing that in here.

D

Deleted member

Anyone notice Ike seems to be Sakurai's poster boy?

He uses him for everything. Does this mean the developers like him the most out of those revealed so far?

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Anyone notice Ike seems to be Sakurai's poster boy?

He uses him for everything. Does this mean the developers like him the most out of those revealed so far?
That's such a dumb conclusion to make based on nothing but screenshots. Like Sakurai would like some Fire Emblem character more than his own creations that he many not be able to use again.

I guess Kirby having all those screenshots not to mention such a focus on him during the subspace vid means nothing.

-Knight

GenG

Smash Lord
I've been dissecting Ike's moveset from the footage videos. Bair, Dtilt, Dsmash and downB are missing though.

B: Eruption. Spawns a column of fire in front of him after stabbing Ragnell in the ground. You charge it for damage and size of the flame. Not very interesting.
B+forward: Critic Move. Those who have played PoR will recognize Ike's critic dash. In Smash, it works like Fox' Illusion. Just doing the move doesn't give you any distance at all, you have to charge it up for more distance.
B+up: Æther. The ****ing win. Incredibly fast, NO LAG after the move, unstoppable, powerful. Ike's main move.
B+down: ¿?

A: Punch.
AA: Punch-Punch combo.

Ftilt: The same as Marth's.
Utilt: A weird move. Ike grabs Ragnell as he were about to stab it in the ground, but points upwards and jumps.
Dtilt: ¿?

Fsmash: Like SSB64 Link's Smash but much more larger, powerful, it can even hit people behind you.
Usmash: A ****ing huge swing covering Ike's body, scary move.
Dsmash: ¿?

Nair: I'm not sure. It could be just like Marth's, but I've could mistaken it with uair. Sometimes Ike does a single swipe in front of him, but it could be B+forward in air.
Uair: The Helicopter. Ike swings Ragnell few times over his head.
Fair: Like Marth's, but slower, larger and more powerful.
Dair: Exactly like Link's.
Bair: ¿?

Final Smash: I haven't seen him, but I've read it's like Pikachu's Volt Tackle. Ike enchants Ragnell with electricity and starts dashing through the screen.

Ike is a powerhouse, with more range than Marth, but far slower (running speed almost like Link's) and with less combo opportunities. You don't need to combo when you have moves that strong.

One of Ike's alternate outfits looks exactly like Sigurd.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I've been dissecting Ike's moveset from the footage videos. Bair, Dtilt, Dsmash and downB are missing though.

B: Eruption. Spawns a column of fire in front of him after stabbing Ragnell in the ground. You charge it for damage and size of the flame. Not very interesting.
B+forward: Critic Move. Those who have played PoR will recognize Ike's critic dash. In Smash, it works like Fox' Illusion. Just doing the move doesn't give you any distance at all, you have to charge it up for more distance.
B+up: Æther. The ****ing win. Incredibly fast, NO LAG after the move, unstoppable, powerful. Ike's main move.
B+down: ¿?

A: Punch.
AA: Punch-Punch combo.

Ftilt: The same as Marth's.
Utilt: A weird move. Ike grabs Ragnell as he were about to stab it in the ground, but points upwards and jumps.
Dtilt: ¿?

Fsmash: Like SSB64 Link's Smash but much more larger, powerful, it can even hit people behind you.
Usmash: A ****ing huge swing covering Ike's body, scary move.
Dsmash: ¿?

Nair: I'm not sure. It could be just like Marth's, but I've could mistaken it with uair. Sometimes Ike does a single swipe in front of him, but it could be B+forward in air.
Uair: The Helicopter. Ike swings Ragnell few times over his head.
Fair: Like Marth's, but slower, larger and more powerful.
Dair: Exactly like Link's.
Bair: ¿?

Final Smash: I haven't seen him, but I've read it's like Pikachu's Volt Tackle. Ike enchants Ragnell with electricity and starts dashing through the screen.

Ike is a powerhouse, with more range than Marth, but far slower (running speed almost like Link's) and with less combo opportunities. You don't need to combo when you have moves that strong.

One of Ike's alternate outfits looks exactly like Sigurd.
Well done GenG. Everything is accurate, as near as I can tell.

Here's a vid of Ike in action, in case anyone is interested: http://media.wii.ign.com/media/748/748545/vid_2159361.html

Top Bottom