• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Social Thread

metroid1117

Smash Master
Dat end of game 1.

Also, I gotta use more UAir, it combos better than I thought it did. Would you recommend following up UThrow at low %s with reverse BAir or UAir on characters like Link?

I don't get how you and metroid get fthrow to back air so consistently. It looks so cool and then whenever I try to do it I miss or mess up reversing my jump somehow and then I feel lame. Also that was a great use of uptilt.
I put in a lot of practice back in the 2.0 and 2.1 days but I still either miss the reverse or QD off the stage >.>. It takes time, try just QD'ing into an empty RAR before adding the BAir after it.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
depends on stage positioning but usually uair
if they DI away it also makes bair a better option because they're closer to the ground for a nair followup. if they don't DI & go straight up uair is usually better because they're higher up and you can chase their landing.
ally gets mileage out of uthrow nair which is weird to me but it does work.

Last edited:

Froz0ne

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! I was working on my Ike because I want him to be my secondary and was wondering how to do the quickdraw turnaround?

Commander

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nYWNayYVLo
There you go. Is Ike your only secondary? If you have him as a second with 5 other characters you probably won't get him to a good level. He demands a lot from the people who play him and his play style doesn't translate into other characters very well so be ready for that.

Froz0ne

Smash Rookie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nYWNayYVLo
There you go. Is Ike your only secondary? If you have him as a second with 5 other characters you probably won't get him to a good level. He demands a lot from the people who play him and his play style doesn't translate into other characters very well so be ready for that.
I'm only playing Ike and Diddy. Diddy being my main and Ike being my only secondary. Also how do I do the turnaround while on the ground? Like if I'm retreating from my opponent then want to quickly go into quickdraw.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
If you do it right out of a dash you can just do it normally (I think it's B-turnaround on the ground), otherwise if your dash went into the run animation you gotta QuickDraw forward and immediately press the opposite direction within 3 frames (A B-reverse on the ground). I might make a video for ya

Last edited:

metroid1117

Smash Master
I'm only playing Ike and Diddy. Diddy being my main and Ike being my only secondary. Also how do I do the turnaround while on the ground? Like if I'm retreating from my opponent then want to quickly go into quickdraw.
If you're talking about B-reversing QD, then it's like what SpiderMad said; in terms of inputs, if you want to QD to the right, then you would press left+B -> right. If you're talking about turning around in the air from jumping out of QD (RAR), then you need to press "back" before jumping; in terms of inputs, if you want to QD to the right, it would be right+B -> left -> jump.

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
Anyone mind doing some criticizing on my Ike v Falco match up from Jan 4th, feel free to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wujJqXBHcgA

PS. I played him against at a tournament yesterday, he barely 2 stocked me game 1, game 2 I took, and third game I got an SD at 79% on my third stock, he won it last hit last stock though. I've improved since this video, and if not for my SD game 3, would have made top 8. Johning aside, I might seem him at another monthly this coming Saturday, so any tips no matter how obvious, feel free to throw them out. Thanks

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Wavedash out of Shield, it'll make the match-up that much more tolerable. If you shielded those phantoms and wavedash'd out, you could have started something. Also, full jumps are not that bad I believe and counter em lasers every so often. I'd work those all into your game.

Also, don't tell the Spacie mains >.>, but is Wave-Bounce Shines any good?

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
For Lucas and Ness yeah, Spacie's shines come out too fast to be B-reversed and thus Wavebounced. A few versions ago they made Lucas' shine 1 frame faster, which put it below the B-reversal threshold: so they undid that change in the next version.

Last edited:

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
Wavedash out of Shield, it'll make the match-up that much more tolerable. If you shielded those phantoms and wavedash'd out, you could have started something. Also, full jumps are not that bad I believe and counter em lasers every so often. I'd work those all into your game.

Ironically enough, I did everything except for the WD OoS. I did Bairs which if I was turned around worked if he missed his waveshine pressure. I countered his lasers which put him in a tech position which he missed when the counter hit, leading to me doing a QD attack into an aerial or tilt. I'll definitely work on incorporating WD OoS into my gameplay.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I don't think I could beat Falco without it honestly. Being able to just shrug laser pressure occasionally is really nice. Oh, also, this might sound kind of stupid, but against -really- aggressive Falcos, if you see they just want to laser -> Dair, just roll (forward) after the laser connects. Not every one falls for it, but the guy I play does.

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
Yeah, I don't think I could beat Falco without it honestly. Being able to just shrug laser pressure occasionally is really nice. Oh, also, this might sound kind of stupid, but against -really- aggressive Falcos, if you see they just want to laser -> Dair, just roll (forward) after the laser connects. Not every one falls for it, but the guy I play does.
Yeah I was doing rolls counters and bairs OoS and mixing it up; rolling inward did help. The Falco I play against is super aggro with a stock lead/beginning of match, but gets campy on same stock mid game. Definitely going to work on counters and WD OoS; him landing in front of me allows me to grab and up throw to either CG, up tilt > f tilt or straight to the f tilt. As for his illusions on stage, going to work on up tilting for a punish; leads into fair or bair dependent on % and my mood :p

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like the Falco I deal with. Well, that's a good sign if you get him to start camping. Sorta. Get good with the WD OoS and you can sometimes duck under a laser with QD Attack and start something if he camps.

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
Sounds like the Falco I deal with. Well, that's a good sign if you get him to start camping. Sorta. Get good with the WD OoS and you can sometimes duck under a laser with QD Attack and start something if he camps.
Thanks, it's always good to discuss theory with a fellow Ike main.

BlinkIV

Avenger
I wish I could. I was given short notice about the tournament, so I won't be in attendance. However I should be at SKTAR, and any other regional before then.

I do have something I want to ask. It's gonna be hard to explain without a video but. Do any of you know about Wavelanding instantly after a QDWJ? It's pretty strict but, right after a QDWJ, you can instantly double jump and waveland onto the stage.

I should have my new stream item come tomorrow, so I might take a video to show. It seems pretty helpful, and a good way to mix up recovering.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Definitely, but just remember we don't tend to have our double jumps all the time when off stage. It's a good idea with good applications, should they arise.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Yep. It's situational, but it's never something you should take advantage of. Always want to surprise the opponent with something like that.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
A bad habit of mine is wasting my double jump as soon as i'm knocked far off stage.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
It's def. a bad habit, but I remember Magus saying in Melee something about using your DJ slightly slows momentum and thus for a rare occasion be enough to save you from a Blast Zone.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
It's def. a bad habit, but I remember Magus saying in Melee something about using your DJ slightly slows momentum and thus for a rare occasion be enough to save you from a Blast Zone.
I've definitely noticed the momentum cancelling a few times. I openly remind myself that I should jump around the 140% or higher just for that reason.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
When I JC Grab normally I use Y+Z, but out of QD I use Tap jump and feel it's way optimal for timing and getting the reverse if I need it (same with Up-smash, Tap Jump A).

I've definitely noticed the momentum cancelling a few times. I openly remind myself that I should jump around the 140% or higher just for that reason.
I really want to ask Magus more about it now but he's inactive and it's hard to search for his posts.

Last edited:

metroid1117

Smash Master
I do have something I want to ask. It's gonna be hard to explain without a video but. Do any of you know about Wavelanding instantly after a QDWJ? It's pretty strict but, right after a QDWJ, you can instantly double jump and waveland onto the stage.

I should have my new stream item come tomorrow, so I might take a video to show. It seems pretty helpful, and a good way to mix up recovering.
If your opponent is close enough, you can also opt for QDWJ -> double jump BAir instead of wavelanding, although you might be able to briefly airdodge through attacks before landing on the stage.
Hey, Fellow Heroes of the Blue Flame, ya'll recognize any of these guys in Pool 27?
http://i.imgur.com/qul4o1o.png
I know Aposl's a Charizard player. I'm not familiar with the other 3. Also, am I the only Ike rep for Shuffle V?
I'm not really sure about the other people either, but in case you wanted to study Aposl's playstyle, here's one of his most recent matches.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Well, I got out of pools with 1st seed. Lost to Melee Top Tier, but got a win in loser's bracket. I'll take it considering I never got to practice against melee Fox/Falco, I'm okay with this. I got some awful nerves. I did much better against the same people in friendlies.

Commander

Smash Ace
The last pool I was in was like 5 Falcos and a Sheik. I tend to play more Melee characters than any other in my area. Sheik is the only Melee top tier who I think gives Ike trouble.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
The last pool I was in was like 5 Falcos and a Sheik. I tend to play more Melee characters than any other in my area. Sheik is the only Melee top tier who I think gives Ike trouble.
Falco is still a bugger; as long as he has a horizontally travelling projectile with hitstun, he always will be.

I have no good Falcos to play, but do me a favor and try out something I've been wanting to test out myself, if you get the chance. QD -> Short hop -> Counter. I wanna know if it works as an approach against a camping Falco, if only for the WTF ARE YOU DOING factor.

Top Bottom