• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Moveset Speculation/Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acrete

Smash Cadet
Try Toon Link. Little bugger is pretty much the same character. There are also pills, which are pretty solid. Then there's Link, Pikachu, Robin, maybe Duck Hunt, Villager, etc.

And yeah, most of the cast has to deal with ledge trapping, but Ike lacks the quick aerials or godlike rolls/jumps to help mitigate it. It'll be bad regardless of whether the entire cast has to deal with it.

Once again, as I fear I may sound gloom and doom by defending my point, I would like to reiterate that I am not sure whether he will benefit or suffer more from the changes, but that it will be some of both.
time will tell then

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Stickied this thread since it's overtaken Xiivi's general thread.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Ok I can confirm Quickdraw no longer goes into freefall IF Ike does the slash attack, doesnt neccesarily have to hit something but just enough to make contact to trigger the slash.. Saw it in a stream earlier, pretty cool.

My thoughts on Fair from what I've seen, I actually think the hitbox lingers just like Nair does so it may hit airdodges easier this time around.

Last edited:

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Ok I can confirm Quickdraw no longer goes into freefall IF Ike does the slash attack, doesnt neccesarily have to hit something but just enough to make contact to trigger the slash.. Saw it in a stream earlier, pretty cool.

My thoughts on Fair from what I've seen, I actually think the hitbox lingers just like Nair does so it may hit airdodges easier this time around.
That is quite a good change. At the very least, jumping out to force Ike to slash early and plummet to his doom is no longer an option. Combined with the custom Aether that goes diagonal sounds like a good idea for recovery options?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I... don't think that QD situation has ever come up for me.....

I guess it was just so thoroughly ingrained that attacking someone with that move while recovering was suicide that I never tried.

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
Down throw combos into Aether right? Does F or back throw combo into Aether 2? That would be bloody beautiful, and if Aether 2 retains its meteoring properties, it could be a vicious way to kill early.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Ryker you said Ike could Jab Cancel right? How good is it now and when exactly do I do it? I'm having issues getting it to work (at least, I think I am, since I don't really identify a crouch ever).

Gonna test that QD thing right now, that sounds awesome.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Ryker you said Ike could Jab Cancel right? How good is it now and when exactly do I do it? I'm having issues getting it to work (at least, I think I am, since I don't really identify a crouch ever).

Gonna test that QD thing right now, that sounds awesome.
It's not as good. Not nearly as good. You have to wait much longer. I had more success getting it off of jab 2 and a lot of the time I got Dtilt or Jab 3. The timing is obnoxious. All I can really say is keep at it.

Down throw combos into Aether right? Does F or back throw combo into Aether 2? That would be bloody beautiful, and if Aether 2 retains its meteoring properties, it could be a vicious way to kill early.
Aether's hitbox changes from a meteor to a 45 degree angle when IKE hits the ground, not his opponent. So, generally, when you use Aether and don't either cancel it by grabbing the ledge or killing yourself, you don't meteor the opponent.

Neo Zero

It's not as good. Not nearly as good. You have to wait much longer. I had more success getting it off of jab 2 and a lot of the time I got Dtilt or Jab 3. The timing is obnoxious. All I can really say is keep at it.

Aether's hitbox changes from a meteor to a 45 degree angle when IKE hits the ground, not his opponent. So, generally, when you use Aether and don't either cancel it by grabbing the ledge or killing yourself, you don't meteor the opponent.
I remember you said off Jab 1 it actually resulted in more lag. Is Jab Canceling off two and repeating a jab or w/e better in this case or just going into jab 3 early on?

EDIT: Just tested the QD change. If you do nothing after the slash, he enters freefall like always. However, if the slash, as said, comes out, you can input any aerial or jump, or Aether or even QD again.

Last edited:

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
Link please. I just want to confirm this for myself.

Neo Zero

Link please. I just want to confirm this for myself.
You definitely can. Like I said, you can use any aerial, air dodge, and even any B move, including Quick Draw again. If you do nothing though you eventually enter free fall and get locked out.

Also I might be crazy, but I think you can dash cancel Ike's jabs instead of jab canceling. It seems a lot faster

Last edited:

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819

I got a half-chub just reading this.

Neo Zero

Dash Canceling after Jab 1 seems to lead to a throw very reliably. Jab 2 can as well, but they can DI out of Jab 1>Jab 2 before Jab 2 hits and screw you over. It's also easier to jump out it seems from Jab 2

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Can you go into more detail about what you mean when you mention dash canceling? You jab 1 -> dash -> cancel it into ???

Neo Zero

Well, the only thing you can really get off a dash cancel is a grab, since you can only cancel a dash with shield.or through a pivot. A pivot in this case is to slow, and also rather difficult to input. Since jab canceling actually leaves you to far to really reliably.

It also depends on the opponent. For example, a floatier character seems easier to go Jab 1>jabc>Jab 1>dc>Grab>Down Throw>Any Aerial (they basically all combo outside of Dair at low percents) or Jab 1>Jab 2>dc>Grab>Stuff (technically speaking, Jab 2 is guranteed so probably the better option). A bigger heavier character though you can go Jab 1>Jab 2>jabc>Jab 1>Jab 2>dc>Stuff.

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice
So for the side b thing. I can hit a projectile with it and basically be able to do an aether right after? That is very helpful. In brawl a projectile would destroy your quickdraw recovery.

Neo Zero

So for the side b thing. I can hit a projectile with it and basically be able to do an aether right after? That is very helpful. In brawl a projectile would destroy your quickdraw recovery.
You could even side B again if you wanted.

LonkQ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ammoro
Can Ike still jab walk? Mario seems to still have the Hold A to do the whole jab combo thing and was wondering if Ike is still the same.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Does grounded quick draw cancel into other moves? Grounded quick draw to aether2 combo pls
Grounded Quickdraw(default) is near indentical to Brawl unfortunately. But it seems to have the base knockback increased on hit so you dont get punished by a low % opponent and Ike slides slightly further after attacking.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Quick draw activates on shield right? short hop quick draw to another move shield pressure combo YOOOOOO (Though need an option to beat shield grab)

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Quick draw activates on shield right? short hop quick draw to another move shield pressure combo YOOOOOO (Though need an option to beat shield grab)
On the ground, you're basically stuck there and are a free punish. Even in the air, you're left hanging for a bit. It's mostly just a buff to his recovery than any sort of sick combo tool or pressuring tool.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Aw, I think i'll prefer the quick draw that goes through people instead then. Aerial quick draw through shields to pressure them since the dash is a hitbox so it should put them in shield stun and if you space quick draw just right it auto cancels :0 (assuming its keeping that property from brawl)

Last edited:

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
I heard Ike's Quick Draw no longer sends him to freefall but does it do it when it hits or always?

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
Aw, I think i'll prefer the quick draw that goes through people instead then. Aerial quick draw through shields to pressure them since the dash is a hitbox so it should put them in shield stun and if you space quick draw just right it auto cancels :0 (assuming its keeping that property from brawl)
They'll probably just grab you as you approach. And then you'll be sad. I agree that Quick Draw 2 sounds like the best one though.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Does grab armor still exist? I hate that mechanic. If I'm being that obvious that they shield grab me everytime I try to quick draw through him then I'm doing something wrong. I can charge it so they have to react to when I release not when I start charging if I try to bait out the grab.

Last edited:

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Yep, grab armor is gone. The grabber will take damage and knockback while the one who was grabbed just instantly goes into grab release animation.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I heard Ike's Quick Draw no longer sends him to freefall but does it do it when it hits or always?
From reports, he will enter free-fall unless he swings. If he swings, you have a limited time to input another command. It can be anything from an aerial, aether, to another Quick Draw, but if you take too long he will freefall. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
From reports, he will enter free-fall unless he swings. If he swings, you have a limited time to input another command. It can be anything from an aerial, aether, to another Quick Draw, but if you take too long he will freefall. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Well, at least it helps with avoiding gimps.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Yep, grab armor is gone. The grabber will take damage and knockback while the one who was grabbed just instantly goes into grab release animation.
YES! I HATED GETTING GRABBED OUT OF MY JAB BY DDD/ICs

Though chain grabs seem to not matter anymore, it also was annoying to get my fsmash grab armor'd ._.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom