• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Moveset Speculation/Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice
Really? He looked faster in all the footage I watched. I know his b was still slow and his smashes but most everything else looked faster overall.[/quote]

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
There is only one thing left about Ike's moveset I'm curious about. The properties of his attack hitboxes, particularly transcendent priority. This is part of the reason Meta Knight was broken. Ike, surprisingly, had a large number of them in the previous game; of all his attacks that have it, it was left out of his F-Smash. Was his F-Smash given any in this iteration? It was annoying back in SSBB whenever your opponent's attacks "clank" with your most powerful moves, which, in these situations, this kind of priority could have quickly turned matches in your favor.

For example, if Ike's F-Smash had transcendent priority and I use it the instant the hitbox of my opponent's attack with the same properties come in, both of us will receive damage, but my opponent would likely be the one sent flying and KOed first since there are only a few characters with attacks that deal that much knockback. I would much rather eat the damage from my opponents than have them cancel a powerful attack with a weaker attack like a simple jab, knowing that, in most cases, more damage will be dealt to my opponent than is done to me.

^-^

Last edited:

lcampoy8

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1220-8395-9035
Custom Moves:

Eruption 2: A flameless Eruption that causes wind pressure. Takes about 3 quick seconds to fully charge. If used near the ledge it can push your opponent to the blast zone (wont ever kill tho). A uncharged Eruption 2 can still cause a small amount of wind pressure, if used in the air it can propel you up a bit (cant be used to recover).

Eruption 3: Similar to Eruption 1 but slower with a bigger hit box.

Aether 2: Forces your Aether to go diagonally instead of vertically.

Aether 3: A really quick Aether that shoots out a short ranged projectile (very similar to kirbys up-b). It can only go vertical.

Counter 2: Causes a short amount of stun.

Counter 3: A stronger Counter but the attack is delayed so its possible to shield.

Quick Dash 2: Haven't unlocked, its proving to be difficult. Will update later.

Quick Dash 3: A very slow Quick Dash. I don't get it either...

Last edited:

TX7Killian

Smash Apprentice
aether 3 sounds p neat
could u test around with quick draw 3 a bit more? there could be possibly more to it than just being slower

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
Edit: ike also cant grab on the ledge when using aether if his back against the ledge.

sakurai why...
Are you really sure? Because this would be a huge nerf in my opinion.
Characters like Marth could easy counter you out of it now, if you can´t reverse Aether, also there are many characters with counter.

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace
Looks like Brawl Ike. I knew it would be disappointing. Hopefully someone will make his Hero costume for P:M.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
1:47 in that video, Ike's smashes seems to destroy shields much better.

BelmontSlayer

Smash Cadet
Custom Moves:

Eruption 2: A flameless Eruption that causes wind pressure. Takes about 3 quick seconds to fully charge. If used near the ledge it can push your opponent to the blast zone (wont ever kill tho). A uncharged Eruption 2 can still cause a small amount of wind pressure, if used in the air it can propel you up a bit (cant be used to recover).

Eruption 3: Similar to Eruption 1 but slower with a bigger hit box.

Aether 2: Forces your Aether to go diagonally instead of vertically.

Aether 3: A really quick Aether that shoots out a short ranged projectile (very similar to kirbys up-b). It can only go vertical.

Counter 2: Causes a short amount of stun.

Counter 3: A stronger Counter but the attack is delayed so its possible to shield.

Quick Dash 2: Haven't unlocked, its proving to be difficult. Will update later.

Quick Dash 3: A very slow Quick Dash. I don't get it either...
Ugh, those are kind of disappointing. No Ragnell beam? No aether variant that heals you a bit?

Why sakurai. );

Sonicrida

Smash Cadet
Just to clarify on Eruption 3, the most noticeable feature is that the hitbox is taller and it does 3% less damage. It seems to have the same charge. Just a bigger hitbox at all charges and less damage.

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
Anyone knows if Eruption and Aether still have SA frames?

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace
I'm almost positive his FTilt comes out as fast as it does in Project M.
His ftilt comes out in 11 frames in P:M. He seems a little faster than Brawl but not anywhere near as fast as P:M. I hope that last version of quickdraw will be lagless so at least something would be done right.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ike being thr same from brawl is a good thing if that means jab cancels are back :D someone please and tryto jab cancel.

Commander

Smash Ace
Ike being thr same from brawl is a good thing if that means jab cancels are back :D someone please and tryto jab cancel.
Jab combos exist in P:M. Who cares about 1 small combo if that is your only combo?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I wasn't trying to say brawl ike is better than P:M Ike. I'm trying to see what we can figure out about ssb4 ike. If ssb4 ike is like brawl ike, I'm hoping jab cancelin returns then.

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice
I compared Ike`s d tilt in smash 4 to his tilt in Brawl and Smash 4 is faster. It comes out quicker and the end lag is also less.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
That UpB is probably the saddest looking UpB I've seen in a while... It basically went straight up with no horizontal movement :/

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
That UpB is probably the saddest looking UpB I've seen in a while... It basically went straight up with no horizontal movement :/
It was kind of always like that despite in Fire Emblem where it went more diagonally.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
It was kind of always like that despite in Fire Emblem where it went more diagonally.
Well in Fire Emblem it was a lot like the critical hit animation for the hero class in the GBA series, except with the second hit at the end. I think Brawl/4's representation is fine.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Well in Fire Emblem it was a lot like the critical hit animation for the hero class in the GBA series, except with the second hit at the end. I think Brawl/4's representation is fine.
Yeah, but would anyone object if Aether was a two-input attack? Up-B would start the rise and another press of B would start the fall. So, it would work similar to Link's side smash. Or it could work like Captain Falcon's Falcon Dive where if it connects, the full Aether would play out, otherwise, only half of Aether is used.

I guess, the main complaint of Aether as a recovery is control. Aether as a two-input move or as a "grab" might alleviate that.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Blubolouis was talking about how if you hold forward at the start of aether you teleport a little ways in front of you and inch forward a little more while spinning at the top. You could cover almost a Battlefield platform's worth of horizontal distance, surprisingly helpful given its great vertical reach already.

I'm interested in hearing about Ike's physics improvements once more data comes out.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Fresh Jab now does 12%, and 10% when staled once. That's pretty sad news, but I don't think Ike would've faired really well in this new game if his only tool was his jab (again) anyway. So this is to hoping that some of his other moves make up for the loss of these 4% per jab.

Edit: ^yes, I was talking about that @UpB

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Fresh Jab now does 12%, and 10% when staled once. That's pretty sad news, but I don't think Ike would've faired really well in this new game if his only tool was his jab (again) anyway. So this is to hoping that some of his other moves make up for the loss of these 4% per jab.

Edit: ^yes, I was talking about that @UpB
Ike looks like he overall doesn't hit as hard as he did in Brawl (U-smash seems slightly weaker in terms of knockback), but he has more legit juggle options due to physics changes. Plus his D-tilt and F-tilt are more viable moves giving him real options in midrange where he used to be extremely weak, and I would assume perhaps better followups off Jab confirms (If you can link to D-tilt, which has horizontal knockback, that's pretty strong, and D-smash does 18% in this game)? He's still probably vulnerable to being camped and his recovery is still relatively predictable, though edgehogging is universally out which helps him. Oh and the other underrated thing is probably N-air edgeguarding, which now isn't complete suicide due to less air lag and covers a lot of options, though edgeguarding with Ike still looks relatively bad compared to other characters.

So overall the approach seems to be making him a slightly less extreme character.

Last edited:

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Edgehogging is out, so that's good news, but if aerial movement with UpB is worse than before, and if we can't grab the edge with a reverse UpB, then like Yoh, I still fear for our recovery. Counters are more powerful in this game (I saw a Lucina VS Marth yesterday, where Lucina's Ftilt got countered at one edge of FD and went flying to the far corner, full stage awayf and nearly died below 100%) and it was bad enough in Brawl.

Vulcan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaberVulcan
It still does, unfortunately. At least it seems to have less ending lag now. ^-^
Bleh, that really sucks. Ike seems really weak in Sm4sh right now... this was one change I was hoping would occur to help him out. I will still give him a shot, but all signs point to him being too weak again.

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
Bleh, that really sucks. Ike seems really weak in Sm4sh right now... this was one change I was hoping would occur to help him out. I will still give him a shot, but all signs point to him being too weak again.
Watch good Ike footage of Sm4sh. He can wreck people easily with a few right guesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom