• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike is overrated but underpowered

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
Smashbros_7, PM Silven, the guy that said you fail in the first page of this thread. And then fight him on wifi. Then go back on smashboards and try to say predictable, too slow, and can't kill in the same sentence as Ike.

This isn't meant to be any offense. In all honesty, its clear you haven't fought a high end Ike, and you deserve to.
No. Online mean's garbage in Brawl. To laggy.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
You're complaining about other people complaining about Ike when you apparently don't like the board to begin with. Fantastic.

IkeKillsAll

Smash Cadet
Smashbros 7 ur making me want to play u really badly and **** u 2 show u how good ike can be. Some of the stuff u have been saying is right, i'll give u that, but it all depends on who is using him

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Gahh just get over it this doesnt need a thread. -_-

DARKALONDITE

Smash Apprentice
Though Ike's one of my mains, I slightly agree with you. Yes, he does have some trouble taking on other characters and works as a noob killer but if someone knows how to work Ike, they can make up for his weaknesses.

Bouse

Smash Ace
My favorite thing to do as Ike, is to play on a stage with damageable terrain (Yoshi/Skyworld). Once the opponent goes into a dodge frenzy, I use his Fsmash and make sure the tip of my sword hits the damageable terrain. It delays the attack by a split second and makes their dodge useless.

TBH Ike is a fun character, and I prefer to call his side smash "Fools Punishment". Whenever a friend of mine plays me when I'm Ike he always refers to a moment in Scrubs with an opera singer who belts out "MIIISTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!" Mainly because Ike's smash is so slow moving that when you can't get out of it's way quick enough it seems like an eternity.

Edit: Also, Ike isn't a terrible character as long as you watch your opponents attack patterns and alternate yours to mess with theirs. Ike has solid grabs, his jab combo is solid, and you can use his side+b to counter the majority of charges in the game. He's not really underpowered per say as he is relatively easy to knock around. A good bit of his attacks have the potential to kill before 100%, it's just making sure you play defensively as him and picking and choosing how and when you deal damage.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
This also applies to his bair but it's somewhat predictable because he's jumping to accomplish this move. His other aerials are also predictable and easy to avoid because they're not as fast or as strong as his bair. Shield pressuring also doesn't apply to Ike because he's even to slow for that! It's quite sad the way Ike can't chase, combo and edge guard well because he's to slow and most characters can stall easily to counter shield pressuring tactics.
i disagree. his bair owns when you rar. it comes out quick and best part is it has higher pirority and range than most aerials alone. not only that but they they are in a air-meets-ground position you can always Not bair and grab when they airdodge.

his F-smash is not situational..
ever play doubles? you get the idea. Upsmash ***** platforms. jab combo does good ammounts of damage while you can also do retreating f-airs on agressive players

G J Cod

Smash Cadet
Well, i like ike (.....) regardless if I'm a n00b. GREEEEAAAT AEEAATHERRRRR!!!

Granted, Smashbros does put it rather Harshly, he is correct on a majority of points. Ike is not great at all, hell not even good. He's bad, plain and simple. I don't see how in the world Noobs can actually place him as Top/High Tier, for reason has shallow as "OMGz lek his Fsmashkils at liek 40 perccent!!!!!". There's a reason he has not placed frequently ever since Brawl's metagame was given a chance to settle down, people can read his attacks and not be idiotic and running into his shallow mindgames with Usmash. Not to mention, basicially any character with a projectile can camp his ***, which practically means bad matchups against a majority of the roster.

He has bad matchups, as of late he's hasd terrible tournament placing, his overall ability as a character is subpar, laggy, and readable, what honestly convinces some you you people to believe Ike is the greatest thing since sliced bread?

Seriously, posting combo videos of characters reallu proves nothing. EVERY character has combo videos, the majority of them against crappy opponents. Posting them proves nothing. We all know every character can be played well,but does that change how good they are naturally? Absolutely not.

Strivus

Smash Cadet
It's a ****ing shame too, Ike was a beast in his games, to the point where he could solo most maps. Even worse, Ike was a speed demon in his games, he was fast and strong. Christ, he even had a projectile too!

He could solo in a game where your supposed to use strategy to defeat opponents and if your units die, they stay dead, unless you restart.

God dammit Sakurai.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If you main Ike you don't get gimped during QD. It's like saying "Yoshi has bad recovery if you don't use his second jump". Aether's lack of horizontal distance is the only bad part about Ike's recovery.
... those two statements aren't even close to being the same and yes, Ike does get gimped during QD when he's fighting against people that actually know how to fight him.

Kirk

Smash Champion
A smart Ike won't use QD to recover :p Aether is almost always the safer option. It's situational...Ike user should very well know the dangers of his recovery options and how best to use them.

A smart Ike won't use QD to recover :p Aether is almost always the safer option. It's situational...Ike user should very well know the dangers of his recovery options and how best to use them.
.....Well you're sure as hell not going to Aether when you're not close to the ledge.

Once you get Ike at a diagonal angle away from the stage, GGz

Kirk

Smash Champion
.....Well you're sure as hell not going to Aether when you're not close to the ledge.

Once you get Ike at a diagonal angle away from the stage, GGz
If you're close enough to be able to make it back with Quick Draw, you can for sure get back with Aether. You know...moving toward and below the stage and Aethering back up.

Top Bottom