• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
That's a damn nice placing considering he had to face 2 MKs relatively early in brackets. I wish I had been on my PC during pools, I have no idea what he went through.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Man I wonder how many people will want brawl in apex a couple years from now. Like i only see people wanting brawl just for the novelty of having every smash game there

D

Deleted member 189823

That's something I had a hard time believing...seriously, we don't even know how the game well play regarding physics and such. The game hasn't even came out yet, and people have been quitting over a year early.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure that as soon as Smash 4 comes out, Brawl will vanish from the national scene. If not forever, then at least for a little while. I could see Brawl's player count dipping significantly over the years to the extent of about Smash 64, where only 128 or less people show up for the nationals, regardless of hype or size. Anyone else share this view?

D

Deleted member 189823

I...still have trouble understand why people would abandon Brawl for Smash 4, considering we still don't even know how the exact gameplay will be like. You can't take someone like Sakurai's view on this if he says "its going to be like brawl with combos now", seeing as they may likely not have competetive-play knowledge.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
It's because they're upset that Brawl isn't Melee, and they're hoping that Smash 4 is going to be more like Melee than Brawl.

Or they want a change of scenery (perhaps this is Ussi's case).

D

Deleted member 189823

Nope, Adol Christin, hero of the Ys series. You should check it out. >.>
I downloaded the Ys: Origin demo, because some else recommended me to try it. It looks really cute.
Honestly thought it was an RPG (I don't like RPGs very much).

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
Ys games are (action) RPGs so uhh... I'd still invite you to try them even if RPGs aren't your thing lol. They've got this old-school RPG hype about them that really draws people in. That and music done by the gods of video game music (Falcom).

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Oh good, maybe you can get rid of the junk Cody posted. Instead of just linking them together into one post, whoever did that?
Usually we don't remove posts, the idea is that everyone has already seen it anyway. I'm sure Ussi will live a long and happy life regardless of what Ryuga's opinion of him is.

Why do you assume nothing was done anyway? I had already sent him a delicious 2 point infraction.

wow. very impolite.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
Usually we don't remove posts, the idea is that everyone has already seen it anyway. I'm sure Ussi will live a long and happy life regardless of what Ryuga's opinion of him is.

Why do you assume nothing was done anyway? I had already sent him a delicious 2 point infraction.

wow. very impolite.
I don't know what was "impolite" about what I said, all I did was give a suggestion.

Though if you mean my first post, there should really be some sort of visual feedback to know something happened like infraction points given. Otherwise, how do I know you did that?

I'm really more upset just because Cody's been pretty much an arrogant prick around a lot of places, so I'd rather not see him on this site in one of the two places I even post in. But I guess I'll deal with that. Sorry if I came off frank for that.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Rare footage of BS actually being civil.

Jokes aside, I agree. Ryuga/Cody is generally intolerant and causes drama wherever he goes.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I don't know what was "impolite" about what I said, all I did was give a suggestion.
"yew guys suck and are worse than GFAQS moderators" is not a suggestion. ;)

Edit: I'm sleepy.

Umm, there isn't a visual indication of giving infractions, but we do look and try our hardest to resolve all reports made. So you just gawtta believe that we are competent at our jobs. (which we are)

Edit 2: Which... "most" of us are. lel

D

Deleted member 189823

Besides Ryuga being Cody. Who is Cody? Does he have reputation only as a "troll", or is he an actual player? Also, again, love the avatar. I am so stealing it.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I thought Ryuga was from the ike skype group

People will abandon brawl for smash4 for a very simple reason.. Its the latest version. Look at melee to brawl. Melee died out on brawls release. Only a few years later did they revive to bring it back with RoM. Brawl will not get the same scale of love Melee got. Another thing to note, woth smash4, a huge new surge of young and new players will emerge like with brawl. Bunch of kids here thinking "too late to get good at brawl, i'l just wait for smash4 to come out and make my climb to the top then!"

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
I thought Ryuga was from the ike skype group
He was the one Mel kicked out for picking fights all the time. With good reason, too.

People will abandon brawl for smash4 for a very simple reason.. Its the latest version. Look at melee to brawl. Melee died out on brawls release. Only a few years later did they revive to bring it back with RoM. Brawl will not get the same scale of love Melee got. Another thing to note, woth smash4, a huge new surge of young and new players will emerge like with brawl. Bunch of kids here thinking "too late to get good at brawl, i'l just wait for smash4 to come out and make my climb to the top then!"
Yeah, I've seen a lot of posts like that. I'd be lying if I said that wasn't something I'd strive for if I could, but unfortunately, we all grow up and move on someday. Not too much longer til I'm at college. I think I'll be too focused on schoolwork to bother going to big tournaments.

I for one like playing Brawl, however. I'll play with anyone still left after Smash 4 wrecks the scene.

D

Deleted member 189823

I'm not quitting Brawl until I at least have an actual idea how Smash 4 is going to be. Even then, I'll likely not quit it, unless everyone actually does leave it for Smash 4.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I have not purchased a Wii U, and I sadly don't look to anytime in the near future. There's just not much going for it, and I don't plan on playing competitively in Smash 4 anyways. Life keeps me busy anyways. Haven't played a video game in over a month now.

I do want to buy a 3DS, but I'm just waiting for the right opportunity. PS4 will come later down the road once the library gets bigger and the first price drop comes.

N~W .

Smash Cadet
Hello Ike Boards

Just wanted to drop by to ask a few questions regarding Ike both playing as him and playing against him.

Whilst Playing As Ike

How do you perform the Jab 1 > Jab 2 to Jab 1 > Jab 2 Jab cancel?

I see some videos of some Ike players doing walk of dair. Going really low off stage and still recovering. I was wondering, how do you perform this style of dair? Because everytime I do it, I just fall off and kill myself.

In your guys' (and possibly girls') opinions, what are the key skills needed for someone to play Ike to a high standard?

Whilst Playing Against Ike

What are some of the strategies players can use to help them to defeat Ike?

How do you stop his running powershield approach?

Is Ike's Back Throw > Dash Attack a true combo?

How do you get out of his jab cancel shenanigans e.g. Jab 1 > Grab, Jab 1 > Jab 2 etc. Especially with the bigger characters in the game such as Bowser and D3?

When is Ike vulnerable during his Up B? And how best do you go about edgeguarding Ike?

Apologies if this comes across as a wall of questions but these questions have been on my mind for a while and I wanted to make sure that I had compiled a list of them rather than just ask one at a time.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
How do you perform the Jab 1 > Jab 2 to Jab 1 > Jab 2 Jab cancel?
Jab, crouch, jab. It takes a certain timing, but if you work on it for like 2 hours in training mode you'll have it. Also, jab1>jab1 is a true combo. Jab1>jab2>jab1>jab2>jab3 can be SDI'd. Use jab1>jab1>jab2>jab3.

I see some videos of some Ike players doing walk of dair. Going really low off stage and still recovering. I was wondering, how do you perform this style of dair? Because everytime I do it, I just fall off and kill myself.
Set your c-stick to Attack, not Smash. This makes you stop fastfalling.

In your guys' (and possibly girls') opinions, what are the key skills needed for someone to play Ike to a high standard?
Stupid amount of practice. Know your character beyond what you perceive as well. Jab cancel. Match-up experience. Game knowledge. Knowing when to approach. Knowledge of the neutral, disadvantaged, and advantaged games for Ike. Platform game. Pretty much everything covered here. There's no shortened version.

What are some of the strategies players can use to help them to defeat Ike?
Camp and gimp. We can't approach a good projectile game and we're not exactly good in the air. Not helpless like Snake, but still not good.

How do you stop his running powershield approach?
You don't. That's why we use it.

Is Ike's Back Throw > Dash Attack a true combo?
At certain percents, and it must be buffered.

How do you get out of his jab cancel shenanigans e.g. Jab 1 > Grab, Jab 1 > Jab 2 etc. Especially with the bigger characters in the game such as Bowser and D3?
You don't, unless you can hammer out a spot-dodge to make the grab wiff. In which case we'll probably just jab you again.

When is Ike vulnerable during his Up B? And how best do you go about edgeguarding Ike?
Ike has superarmor from frame 18 to frame 38. That's roughly from when he throws his sword up to when he starts to spin. A good Ike won't get edgeguarded easily, but if he Aethers too high, drop off and catch the ledge. If he's going to recover using Quickdraw, and no good Ike does this unless there is no other way to recover, take the hit and grab the ledge. Just take the hit. It puts Ike into freefall.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
WALL O' QUESTIONS.
Oh, hey NW. Fancy seeing you here!
You know you can just talk to me directly right? haha Anyways, to answer your questions:

Q: How do you perform the Jab 1 > Jab 2 to Jab 1 > Jab 2 Jab cancel?
A: You press crouch during the cooldown of Jab1/Jab2. if you do it perfectly, the crouch simply won't happen, but for sakes of getting the timing down properly, look to get the crouch to appear.

Q: I see some videos of some Ike players doing walk of dair. Going really low off stage and still recovering. I was wondering, how do you perform this style of dair? Because everytime I do it, I just fall off and kill myself.
A: We have the C-stick set to attack instead of smash, it means we don't fastfall when we do a D-air with Cstick.

Q: In your guys' (and possibly girls') opinions, what are the key skills needed for someone to play Ike to a high standard?
A: I think spacing is the most important thing with Ike, Shortly followed by powershielding. The ability to mix it up and edgeguard effectively is good too (I can show you how to edgeguard with Ike next time I see you)

Q: What are some of the strategies players can use to help them to defeat Ike?
A: Playing keepaway works pretty well if you got good projectiles, Also we havent got any 'fast' moves other than Jab. so feel free to go in when you're on the offensive.

Q: How do you stop his running powershield approach?
A: Dash-shielding is really good with ike...Really it's like our best Approach. But damnit man, You main D3. just grab us!

Q: Is Ike's Back Throw > Dash Attack a true combo?
A: Yes, when done correctly and at the right percents, The Ike guide on this forums says at what percentages (I believe olimar is the only character we can't do it to properly...but none of the olimars know how to avoid it, so its a moot point

Q: How do you get out of his jab cancel shenanigans e.g. Jab 1 > Grab, Jab 1 > Jab 2 etc. Especially with the bigger characters in the game such as Bowser and D3?
A: Better get to SDI-ing, my boy. SDI Away primarily, Up/Away works too. but SDI straight up and we get a guaranteed Utilt. (a.k.a: Just SDI away)

Q: When is Ike vulnerable during his Up B? And how best do you go about edgeguarding Ike?
A: we have armour from when we throw the sword up untill when we begin the ascent towards the spinning sword.

Theres a hitbox visual of aether, It shows two gaps where there are absolutely no hitboxes whatsoever (each gap is about 10 frames long). When it comes to edgeguarding it though, you're best off just outranging it and hitting us out of it if possible. D3's F-tilt probably works. alternatively, Shielding it with Bowser and then Up-b OOS during one of the two gaps when we have no hitbox. I havent tested this though.
All you need to know is that Ike's recovery is free lol.

Alternatively NW, you should just come to cambridge and I can teach you how to improve lol. Whereabouts do you live again?

N~W .

Smash Cadet
Alternatively NW, you should just come to cambridge and I can teach you how to improve lol. Whereabouts do you live again?
I live in London. Relatively close to Ixis according to Miller as we both live in the same borough. Sure I wouldn't mind coming up to Cambridge to get some practice in but...it depends on what the parents say. It was the reason why I couldn't get to Sweetspot (I so wanted to show off my One Month, In-Training Marth to the people on Stream :(. )

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I live in London. Relatively close to Ixis according to Miller as we both live in the same borough. Sure I wouldn't mind coming up to Cambridge to get some practice in but...it depends on what the parents say. It was the reason why I couldn't get to Sweetspot (I so wanted to show off my One Month, In-Training Marth to the people on Stream :(. )
aww really? wait, how old are you again man? besides, LAGC is this weekend. could come to that if you wanted

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Another thing I want to say is that Ike's jab CAN be shield grabbed. If you're fast enough you can shield grab between his jabs I think.

Also pressuring Ike is a really good idea. As Marth I find keeping throwing out spaced and fast aerials like Marth's Fair once getting inside him kind of wrecks him LOL. He doesn't have anything to throw you out immediately other than jab which is not hard to bait out. When he's in the air and in the front, I think keeping throwing out safe moves can frame trap him very easily. You can do this with moves like Bowser's Fair and DDD's Fair/Bair. Because of Ike's mediocre mobility and no good GTFO moves other than jab, a cornered Ike is limited in options. When he's cornered he's also a lot easier to send offstage which is something you really want to do. Ike is a heavily read based character as well and you don't want to let him get chances to hard read you and KO you early with something like Usmash or his aerials. When Ike keeps throwing out aerials, you can reposition to mess up his spacing, when perfectly spaced his Fair is safe on block against DDD I think, at least if he retreats it. But PSing will make it a lot easier to punish Ike's aerials.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
post count +1

also, ryo took a mm off of leon last time they played, gg ryo !! I'd love to hear your input regarding these matches.
no, the games weren't saved :/

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
This apex wasn't kind to brawl this year.

I have a 3DS, its been serving me well with just 4 games: FE13, Etrian Odyssey 4, Pokemon X, and Rune Factory 4 (dis game be amazing)

Probably not getting smash4 on the 3DS, might look to bravely default later on.

If smash4 manages to be competitive i might try it out.. But i'd also want to have people i can play nearby me so i can actually play to get better more consistently

N~W .

Smash Cadet
aww really? wait, how old are you again man? besides, LAGC is this weekend. could come to that if you wanted
18 years of age. Gonna be 19 in a month. Only reason why I'd have to ask my parents is because it's either follow the rules of the house or leave lol.

But yeah I intend to come to LAC this weekend to do both singles and doubles with my friend, CEO. Gonna go with Marth and D3 all the way hopefully.

Thanks for your inputs guys. If anything, the only reason why I'm trying to learn Ike is so that I have some form of a chance when it comes to competing against G~P's Ike in the UK Scene. :)

Top Bottom