• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Appreciation Thread.

Deathparasol

Smash Journeyman
The question is, do you know where you are? HMMM?
Nooo! Ike should be the main character all the way through. I pretty much felt that playing as Micaiah and Elincia was little more than a distraction so that Ike could just look more awesome making his grand reappearance. (My opinion.)

Get to the end of RD, Alex! (So you can read spoilers concerning it.)

xixDaShrimpxix

Smash Apprentice
Ike is very slow but he is one of the strongest characters in Brawl
!!!omg, are you serious????!!! i didn't know that!!!
did you know that pichu is very fast but one of the weakest characters in Melee?

:chuckle: haha thanks for that bit of info that i've never heard before...

TORCHIK WHERE ARE YOU?! these people aren't fun to listen to... -_-

xixDaShrimpxix

Smash Apprentice
oh... nvm my computer was being slow and in the time it took for me to post that, i didn't notice your posts... orrr... i somehow didn't see the last page of this thread. oh well... IKE ROCKS!!!!

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Nooo! Ike should be the main character all the way through. I pretty much felt that playing as Micaiah and Elincia was little more than a distraction so that Ike could just look more awesome making his grand reappearance. (My opinion.)

Get to the end of RD, Alex! (So you can read spoilers concerning it.)
If Ike was the main character all the way through, it'd be like playing PoR all over again. Following Ike around as he does random mercenary work. How boring.

Elincia's part was my favorite part. It really shown how one can admit their weaknesses and work to overcome them. Micaiah's part shown that with devotion to a country; you can liberate it from oppression. Hardly what I'd call a "distraction". That's my opinion.

Ike's part shown me that the male ego can and will get in the way of judgement calls.

Part 4, I really liked it though I won't say anything about it due to spoilers.

-Knight

Deathparasol

Smash Journeyman
If Ike was the main character all the way through, it'd be like playing PoR all over again. Following Ike around as he does random mercenary work. How boring.

Elincia's part was my favorite part. It really shown how one can admit their weaknesses and work to overcome them. Micaiah's part shown that with devotion to a country; you can liberate it from oppression. Hardly what I'd call a "distraction". That's my opinion.

Ike's part shown me that the male ego can and will get in the way of judgement calls.

Part 4, I really liked it though I won't say anything about it due to spoilers.

-Knight
...But I liked PoR....more than RD. (Although they would be kinda close in ranking in my mind, just PoR higher.)

Um, well, that's your opinion... I just didn't find the first half of the game very enjoyable. But you know, each to his/her own. (WHY does English not have a gender-neutral pronoun?)

...Smash likes mercenaries/bounty hunters, ya. Look at that... Samus, C. Falcon, Fox, and now Ike. Nintendo loves those kind of roles. :D

Part 4 is the best part of RD I think.

Edit: I was gonna add something, but now I forgot. OMG crash, what the hell.

Torchik

Smash Ace
Have no fear, I'm here!!! ^_^ Hey, I liked Elincia!! She's awesome! I mean, would YOU sacrifice your best friend to save your country? That was pretty beastly of her. Better than Zelda *glares at Death*

In the beginning of TP, Zelda's like "Ugh noes, all my guards diedZ0rz! Now I guess I'll have to surrender since everyone's dead! Oh well, at least I'm alive! ^_^"

Anyways, I wouldn't mind a whole Ike game since Ike is just amazing. *sigh* Everytime I talk about him, it makes me want him to be real 10x times worse.

*goes back to workshop with kidnapped scientists* How's the machine comming? WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED?! WORK FASTER!!! *pulls out giant sword with NO shield*

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
if only I'd played radiant dawn, is it still in stores?
why wouldn't it be? it just came out recently. If your talking about PoR then yes, but it's semi hard to find.

Well now I'm kinda bummed with the return of sheik... she was a pain to fight with as Roy, and she's gonna be even more of a pain using Ike. (my best friend just HAS to main her) I'm hoping she'll fall under the 'easily ko'd' category like MK and Kriby.

Enshoku

Smash Lord
in a box of fading memories, and everlasting knowl
I was under the impression it came out 4+ months ago, at which point my local wal-mart would burn the copies of it in the furnace of their money train.

and about the ike vs shiek thing, I'd say as long as you get him off the edge (try eruption) you can use ikes b> to sweetspot, or use aether to edgeguard. Superarmor frames might help stop shiek's combos, but most super armor moves have lots of starting lag.

Althalus89

Smash Cadet
I think that if the fix the starting lag and graphical lagg(which is probably why it's been delayed to 9th march) then Ike will be a gr8 character. But he should become faster I think because otherwise Ganondorf will be excluded simply because Ike and he are both extremly strong swordsman and Ganondorf is IF he joins Brawl going to be TP inspirated.
I hope Marth & Roy return as secret because making an FE represant alone and then give him a huge drawback wen it comes to speed simply doesn't balance things.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
I think that if the fix the starting lag and graphical lagg(which is probably why it's been delayed to 9th march) then Ike will be a gr8 character. But he should become faster I think because otherwise Ganondorf will be excluded simply because Ike and he are both extremly strong swordsman and Ganondorf is IF he joins Brawl going to be TP inspirated.
I hope Marth & Roy return as secret because making an FE represant alone and then give him a huge drawback wen it comes to speed simply doesn't balance things.
They're not delaying the game to March 9th because of Ike's graphical lag. If that was the case why is the JPN version being released only a week later? Ganondorf would never be excluded from Brawl (Being the most important villain of the prestigious Legend of Zelda series). If it's a case of being too similar Ike would have never made it into Brawl.

Marth returning is a logical choice (1st lord, blah blah blah you've heard it all), as for Roy? I hope he doesn't return because an FE roster with 3 swordsmen would be very dull/uninspired/show that the Fire Emblem series has no variety at all when it comes to characters in my opinion.

Micaiah would make an excellent 3rd slot choice for the Fire Emblem series. Adding her shows to the general public that females can play a leading role and breaks the stereotype that Fire Emblem is nothing but a swordfest. Her light magic would offer a much more unique playstyle than Roy (Not to mention how unique it is in itself).

-Knight

xixDaShrimpxix

Smash Apprentice
Micaiah?? no... if brawl needs a mage it's gonna be Soren. Definately. Soren kicks way more a** than Micaiah and he's Ike's little buddy lol. Soren Rocks! just like Ike. And since this is the ike APPRECIATION THREAD i thought i'd share a video i made with you people. about ike in SSBB and whatnot. here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28TVlEoCF3o
hope you like it. btw turn up the volume so you can here the FE music, it makes the video a lot better.
tell me what you think Torchik

Deathparasol

Smash Journeyman
Micaiah?? no... if brawl needs a mage it's gonna be Soren. Definately. Soren kicks way more a** than Micaiah and he's Ike's little buddy lol. Soren Rocks! just like Ike.
Dost mine eyes deceive me? Another Soren supporter? :D

If I were to pick a non-sword wielding female, it would be Titania. She's like a tank, and I like her character more than Micaiah. (Of course, she has nowhere near the importance, but supporting only popular characters is boring).

@Alex You should try to get Dr. Robotnik.... I bet he made a machine like that.

Torchik

Smash Ace
*pulls needle out* Hahahahaha, you can't hurt me! My Ike fanboyism protects me! *beheads Enshoku* Awwww, that was mean...*puts head back on shoulders* There! ^_^

Wowzorz!! Shrimp, that was like, super amazing!!! I liked how you kept showing him own Link. Nice close-ups too! I love it!! ^_^

*sigh* Soren...meh. He's mean to the poor Laguz!

*cough* Mia would be awesome, even IF she weilds a sword *cough*

Hmmmm, very true Ri. *goes on quest to hunt down Eggman*

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
I was under the impression it came out 4+ months ago, at which point my local wal-mart would burn the copies of it in the furnace of their money train.

and about the ike vs shiek thing, I'd say as long as you get him off the edge (try eruption) you can use ikes b> to sweetspot, or use aether to edgeguard. Superarmor frames might help stop shiek's combos, but most super armor moves have lots of starting lag.
PROTIP: Sheik's a girl. One Princess Zelda Hyrule, to be exact. :laugh:

Deathparasol

Smash Journeyman
Urk, these forums seem to be having some problems today.

Nothing can stop crazy fanboys and fangirls, you know. Not even if you drug them and blockade them in a mausoleum. (They would shake it off and break through the walls.)

Soren is mean to people in general XD (except Ike of course)

Yeah, that Mia... the sword decimates any chance (even if she's on the poll). She is kinda cool though.

I admit, I do not like Micaiah, and do not want her to be playable, but I don't want to incite petty arguments, because it all boils down to what kind of characters you like. There are people who like her, and people like me.

... I'm still gonna call him Dr. Robotnik, regardless of name change or whatever. Just because I am stubborn like that. BTW Alex, did you see the sticker of Cream in the How to Play vid?

*looks at AlphaDragoon's post* You know what, I'm not going to say anything about Sheik's gender, 'cause it will only cause needless suffering (even if you didn't intend it like that) and I will say that Sheik is hopefully nerfed because potato was kinda cheap in Melee.

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
*looks at AlphaDragoon's post* You know what, I'm not going to say anything about Sheik's gender, 'cause it will only cause needless suffering (even if you didn't intend it like that) and I will say that Sheik is hopefully nerfed because potato was kinda cheap in Melee.
sheik is a girl, sakurai said so.

and I agree, I hope she's nerfed, or at least not make her dodge so long, I jsut realised thats why I have trouble fighting her with roy. she could start on my right, and then dodge to my left and out of my range. so the only time i ever hit her is when she doesn't manage to dodge in time.

Torchik

Smash Ace
Well, when I started playing Sonic for real, his name was Eggman so hah.

I looove Mia! How do you guys know she won't be the new Marth? Duh duh duh... >_>

Hmmmmm, no, I have to go see that! I can't believe they put in a Cream sticker...they barely ever make her playable, if she even shows up in the game. I'm hoping she'll be playable and actually have a role in Sonic RPG.

There will be no Sheik discussion in my Ike thread. ^_^

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
i think its evident already that i dont like micaiah. i do not think she would be a very good representative for fire emblem. what they need is a laguz! think about it! Ranulf! interesting, creative all kind of possibilities for attacks, ability to shift from cat to person, its perfect
I agree... I'm not a fan of micaiah in the slightest, and once again sakurai wasted a good character by makign Sothe an AT. I don't understand what is so bad and violent about knives, but swords are fine? anywho I think a laguz would be cool, I would definitly main ranulf or Muarim or somthin, but I mostly want a lance user. I think a lance would be a good fighting style to incorporate, and probably the only type that could rival the range of ragnell.

Ike's Biggest Fan

Smash Apprentice
Following Ike's travels through Tellius and beyond
I agree... I'm not a fan of micaiah in the slightest, and once again sakurai wasted a good character by makign Sothe an AT. I don't understand what is so bad and violent about knives, but swords are fine? anywho I think a laguz would be cool, I would definitly main ranulf or Muarim or somthin, but I mostly want a lance user. I think a lance would be a good fighting style to incorporate, and probably the only type that could rival the range of ragnell.
youre right of course, a lance would be a good idea, but to really capture the essence of fire emblem, they should throw in more than just swords and lances. magic, transformations, holy beings, all kinds of unique elements are in fire emblem and they should be put in i think. thats why I'm for Ranulf or Soren. Im pretty sure Ranulf is the most popular of the laguz, and Soren is hands down the best magician in the recent games. Marth of course has the highest chance, but a laguz belongs in there. plus, ranulf is like Ike's #1 laguz ally.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Well, guys, I have a feeling Ike's not going to be changing so I expect his stats to be the same. Sure, he'll be horrible, but at least it'll be so satisfying to win matches with him since I myself am maining because he's still a beast! Just not in attributes, but in power! :)

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
... I wonder why it seems Ike is going to be the only starter for FE. Come on Sakurai, show us another FE starter! Please.
there were no fe starters in melee, be happy we have at least one in brawl, I imagine there will be at least 2 other FE reps.

youre right of course, a lance would be a good idea, but to really capture the essence of fire emblem, they should throw in more than just swords and lances. magic, transformations, holy beings, all kinds of unique elements are in fire emblem and they should be put in i think.
yup, tis true. I would also enjoy seeing an axe user, Boyd would be sweet. Anything to make the FE franchise more than just "sword queers" as my friends call them.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
I would love to see more variety in the FE roster (I suggested Micaiah), however I've seen some of people's choices and I must say that non-lords (Main Character) have a 0 percent chance of making it in (Besides an AT or sticker).

-Knight

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
I would love to see more variety in the FE roster (I suggested Micaiah), however I've seen some of people's choices and I must say that non-lords (Main Character) have a 0 percent chance of making it in (Besides an AT or sticker).

-Knight
and why do you say that?

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Knives are looked down upon in some countries not due to the fact that you can kill with them, but that there's an aura of dishonor to using a knife specifically as it was the preferred weapon of thugs, assassins, etc. That's why there's no knives.

A minor character will never get in before a major character. I bet you guys would be pretty pissed if Mia was revealed playable and Ike wasn't. The lords have the priority to get in before generics.

-Knight
Oh, you bet I'd be pissed if Ike, Sigurd, Marth, etc. got nixed for a generic unit. :laugh:

Oh yeah, and Micaiah for Brawl. :)

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
A minor character will never get in before a major character. I bet you guys would be pretty pissed if Mia was revealed playable and Ike wasn't. The lords have the priority to get in before generics.

-Knight
Yes... but Ike IS in it, so if mia was revealed now I wouldn't mind (though there are better candidates

if we go by your logic, then the only lords left to put in that aren't already disproved, and don't use swords would be.

1. Micaiah: magic
as interestign as it would be, i don't really like her all that much, and I'm having a hard time imagining her fighting style to be that much different from zeldas...

2. Hector: axe
as awsome as this would be, he would have to be slow and powerful, and we all know why that can't happen.

3. Ephriam: lance
this is a candidate I would like to see, although I didn't really enjoy sacred stones all that much, i did kinda lke Ephriam, although you can't even compare him to Ike.

sooo basically unless they want to add one of the other billion sword using lords, to represent FE then they will have to pic one of those.

2 lords are already AT's which makes me wonder if sakurai really cares what status they have or if he consentrates more on the impact the character had in the story of thier game.

there are plenty of other non lord characters, and villians that are deserving enough (I think) to gain a slot.
Knives are looked down upon in some countries not due to the fact that you can kill with them, but that there's an aura of dishonor to using a knife specifically as it was the preferred weapon of thugs, assassins, etc. That's why there's no knives.
hmm that's kinda of a dumb reason... but thanks for clearing that up.

Profanity

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BHC-Prof
Volke would be pretty tight...but, on topic.

Ike himself will be a fun character, at least. I'll definitely play him casually. My hopeful scenario is that he'll be somewhere in the mid tier, or, the very top of low.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Yes... but Ike IS in it, so if mia was revealed now I wouldn't mind (though there are better candidates

But if Mia was revealed to be the only Fire Emblem representative from PoR and not Ike, how would you feel?

if we go by your logic, then the only lords left to put in that aren't already disproved, and don't use swords would be.

My logic is as simple as Lords>Generics, that's a fact. I would preferable want to see another lord who doesn't use a sword.

1. Micaiah: magic
as interestign as it would be, i don't really like her all that much, and I'm having a hard time imagining her fighting style to be that much different from zeldas...

2. Hector: axe
as awsome as this would be, he would have to be slow and powerful, and we all know why that can't happen.

3. Ephriam: lance
this is a candidate I would like to see, although I didn't really enjoy sacred stones all that much, i did kinda lke Ephriam, although you can't even compare him to Ike.

sooo basically unless they want to add one of the other billion sword using lords, to represent FE then they will have to pic one of those.

2 lords are already AT's which makes me wonder if sakurai really cares what status they have or if he consentrates more on the impact the character had in the story of thier game.

Lyndis (Though I think would of been a great addition) isn't the main lord in FE7; Eliwood is and prioritizes both her and Hector. Sothe was more or less Micaiah's personal Jeigan. So they could be viewed as lessor characters in Sakurai's mind.

there are plenty of other non lord characters, and villians that are deserving enough (I think) to gain a slot.

Well I disagree, unless of course you can name a non-lord who out prioritizes the lord in their respective game.

hmm that's kinda of a dumb reason... but thanks for clearing that up.
Overall I just think the FE roster would be better off with at least some variety in their part. I don't think it's a good representation of the series to have all sword users because it makes Fire Emblem come off as very generic/uninspired/bland.

-Knight

xixDaShrimpxix

Smash Apprentice
Wowzorz!! Shrimp, that was like, super amazing!!! I liked how you kept showing him own Link. Nice close-ups too! I love it!! ^_^

*sigh* Soren...meh. He's mean to the poor Laguz!

*cough* Mia would be awesome, even IF she weilds a sword *cough*
thanks. yeah, i found it cool how the DOJO!! had the "grabbing and throwing" page with Ike kicking the crap out of Link.
and lucky for us, there was that video of Ike unleasing his killa-cool final smash on Link.
(just incase someone hasn't seen my Ike video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28TVlEoCF3o)

and mia = the new marth?
hmmm... that would be kinda cool. i'd be A-ok with that. i would have used her a lot in PoR but idk... i kinda didn't. she was really cool though, so if she is playable in Brawl for some odd reason, i'd definately have some fun with her. (get your head out of the gutter people)

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Erika and Ephraim are the Lords in one of the most 'disappointing' Fire Emblem in it's series, of course she won't be liked as much. Ephraim was liked more than Erika so he got easy props.

Seeing Erika in Brawl would be more surprising than seeing a no-name mercenary like Mia or Soren, then again, she and Ephraim would beat out the blue haired swordsmen stereotype as Ephraim is a lance-user and Erika is female.

FE8 had:

-Lackluster story

-Broken units

-Buggy skill system that can corrupt data

-Lack of difficulty with the ability to 'grind' out monsters til your units are literally unstoppable

FE veterans know for a fact that the FE games is renown for it's challenging gameplay and not the story, which is why that game was quickly ignored.

xixDaShrimpxix

Smash Apprentice
Dost mine eyes deceive me? Another Soren supporter? :D

If I were to pick a non-sword wielding female, it would be Titania. She's like a tank, and I like her character more than Micaiah. (Of course, she has nowhere near the importance, but supporting only popular characters is boring).
Yeah i'm a Soren supporter alright. i'd love to see him in brawl instead of another FE swordsman or anything. there's already 4 swordsmen in brawl (link... meta knight, pit, ike, and if they bring back ganon, i bet he'll have his TP sword) so we need something different, like soren, with magic attacks and a lot of long range, quick moves. that'd be really cool.
but don't worry ike fans i won't totally forget about ike if soren is in Brawl. i'd use them equally probably.

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
My logic is as simple as Lords>Generics, that's a fact. I would preferable want to see another lord who doesn't use a sword.
which is why I posted micaiah, hector, and ephriam.
Well I disagree, unless of course you can name a non-lord who out prioritizes the lord in their respective game.
well, villains in themselves match the priorities of lords just cus they are villains, and are the evil side of the story. although in FE there tend to be alot of villain underlings, so really the only ones that stick out are the black knight and ashnard, both would basically be too Ike-like to be in it unfortunatley. (maybe they'll be SSE bosses)

as for other characters, I wasn't sayign that other characters in the games are just as or more important than the lords, I was just say that there are others that are important enough to be considered, such as Sothe, Geoffrey (another lance user) Lucia, etc...

Overall I just think the FE roster would be better off with at least some variety in their part. I don't think it's a good representation of the series to have all sword users because it makes Fire Emblem come off as very generic/uninspired/bland.
I completely agree, and it's unfortunate that almost all the FE lords are sword users.

Top Bottom