• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike against a Marth? Sounds dangerous!

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Marth never has to throw the first move and can always beat you out, any move he cant beat on reaction he can interrupt with dolphin slash. Fun point to note, if he DI's up but C sticks down while being hit by aether he can tipper dair you straight out of it.
Proved by CPU himself.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
Marth never has to throw the first move and can always beat you out, any move he cant beat on reaction he can interrupt with dolphin slash. Fun point to note, if he DI's up but C sticks down while being hit by aether he can tipper dair you straight out of it.
Whoa, really? If you could, can you upload a video of this? I'd like to see that in action lols.

Ricky

Smash Journeyman
Ike never gets a break huh?
Nope. He's cool that way, must be the fact he'll never give sympathy. Honestly like stated, I'm sure it's depending on the player(s) work out there and their game. You can't really compare a noob Ike agaisnt a top Marth player, it just won't work. Ike does have the moves to fight back agaisnt Marth pretty well, it's just all on who plays. I've played my few share of Marth's (But only two can really give me trouble) the best way to improve is playing good people and changing your game in the brawl so you won't be predictable.

EmperorB-rad2kj

Smash Apprentice
Well ike is faster than most ppl say. his Bair comes out faster than marth's Bair. Ike may be slower but ike definentlyhas the power. Besides if you can really mindgame good your good to go. youll also need an understanding of ike i study ike up to matchups

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Against Marth:

If you're off the ledge, you're dead if he reads you correctly. Ike has limited options of recovery, so this isn't too difficult. F-Air, or simply running into Quick Draw will beat you out, and possibly kill you.

Aether can be beaten out by Counter or Dolphin Slash. My friend, a Marth mainer will occasionally run OFF the stage with the counter to guarantee himself the KO.

Ike's advantages are on the stage, below Marth, and above Marth. On the stage, Ike has his jab combo. (**** canceling his jab. **** his **** with that third hit.) and all of his aerials. Correctly spaced, Ike should beat out most of Marths options on the ground. Below Marth, Ike has U-Tilt, U-Smash, N-Air, B-Air, and U Air. Below Marth, Ike has D-Air, and N-Air.

Ricky

Smash Journeyman
Aether can be beaten out by Counter or Dolphin Slash. My friend, a Marth mainer will occasionally run OFF the stage with the counter to guarantee himself the KO.
He must be pretty confidant. He's basically risking getting spiked by Aether that way. If all the timing is wrong then Ike would most likely drag Marth down with him.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
He must be pretty confidant. He's basically risking getting spiked by Aether that way. If all the timing is wrong then Ike would most likely drag Marth down with him.
:confused: Marth is never in danger of getting aether spiked, ever. He throws out one move to force you to air dodge (or die), then dolphin slashes you into the stage and kills you. If he ever gets hit by aether, he DI's up and escapes it entirely OR just dolphin slashes you in the middle of it anyway.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Dolphin Slash is OP.

I felt that one after I stupidly tried to Aether edgeguard a Marth and ended up getting stage spiked.

Ricky

Smash Journeyman
:confused: Marth is never in danger of getting aether spiked, ever. He throws out one move to force you to air dodge (or die), then dolphin slashes you into the stage and kills you. If he ever gets hit by aether, he DI's up and escapes it entirely OR just dolphin slashes you in the middle of it anyway.
You must be playing different Marth's then. They always get Aether spiked with me. Way too predictable. Then again they do have credit, it can be based off luck too. I've been level spiked before my fair share times by Marth's Dolphin Slash and regular attacks. I've been in the same situation as you, it's pretty easy to get out of. Try using Ike's Forward attack (Aerial) it's really quick, and you can just time it too. Or just jump on Marth's head, pro tip.

Ricky

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, good ones. >_>
Haha, not what I mean't. Marth is pretty basic once you learn how your opponent's play. When I got into brawl almost everyone I knew played with Marth, (Mained) the only characters I fought agains't 80 percent of the time was Marth. Trust me, I know what you mean the people I played against are really good with him. The more you go at it the better you get.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
The character isn't particularly hard to read, there are definitely situations where you're not in a position to do anything about it. Like recovering, for one. A patient and intelligent marth will take your stock a majority of the time if you ever recover the same way twice.

Ricky

Smash Journeyman
I agree. The solution tends to be changing your game in many area's. Ike's recovery isn't the best in many cases, however teching help's a lot. (Maybe best when getting pushed to the stage) It's sort of it's own recovery for you, instead of going through the given choices. Also I never noticed recovering the same way twice is predictable. Sometimes the choices are grim.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
On the stage, Ike has his jab combo. (**** canceling his jab. **** his **** with that third hit.) and all of his aerials. Correctly spaced, Ike should beat out most of Marths options on the ground..
A Marth that is zoning correctly will definitely beat
an Ike on stage. Constant pressure and spacing correctly would render Ike's approach useless. Let alone get a Jab off.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Not entirely true. For one, spacing is crucial to both characters and getting inside ike isn't exactly the easiest thing to do ever either. Neither marth nor Ike are inherently at a higher obligation to approach the other here and both have perfectly good zoning tools. Pressure isn't as clutch in this fight (though it is useful, dancing blade should be a staple to everyone's game but especially here if your goal is to get in on ike and stay there) as is baiting a reaction to what might seem like an opening. This goes for both characters, the first person that can cause someone to act prematurely is taking the other person's stock. Ike's use of nair and bair to zone/space is actually rather clutch and jabs should go through, you just cant take them for granted when they do (If you cancel, bait out a dolphin slash and punish [see: flat out KILL] marth accordingly, otherwise finish the combo as stated).

Top Bottom