• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Another favorite:

A man travels back in time to discover the cause of a famous fire. While in the building where the fire started, he accidentally knocks over a kerosene lantern and causes a fire, the same fire that would inspire him, years later, to travel back in time.

You've got to love The Twilight Zone.
That isn't a paradox.

So, let's say if a tree was standing in the middle of a prarie one day when you walked by and was lying down on its side the next, did it fall there, or did it teleport there?

Bailey

Smash Hero
I like the Yu-Gi-Oh Paradox lol.

I know I'm lame but it was a cool one. I forget how it goes it was one brother can only tell the truth and one only lies

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Yeah one only tells the truth, and the other tells nothing but lies. Assuming that statement in and of itself is true, I found out how to solve it:

We ask Para "Would he(Dox) tell me that your (Para's) door leads out of here?" If Para says "Yes," then the door out is Dox's, and if he says "No," then the door we are looking for is Para's. The reasoning behind this (assuming that there is indeed one liar and one truth teller) is simple. We don't need to know who lies, and who tells the truth. Try to stay with me. If Para says "Yes," then he would be lying about the fact that Dox would say that Para's door is the way out (which it is, if Para is the liar); making Dox's door the way out. If Para is the truth teller, then he would have to tell the truth and state that Dox would say that Para's door is the way out( which it isn't because Dox is the liar). The same reasoning goes if Para says "no."

Fhqwhgads101

Smash Rookie
That isn't a paradox.
Yes, it is. It's another circular cause and consequence where you cannot pinpoint the originating event that triggered it all, much like the chicken and the egg. Perhaps it would have been clearer if at the end I asked something like "What started the infinitum loop?"

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
My vote is for the chicken. Because even if you don't hold a Creationist viewpoint(which I do) our common experience tells us that there would need to be a chicken to warm the aforementioned egg. An egg without warmth would kill the chicken inside.

Fhqwhgads101

Smash Rookie
Because even if you don't hold a Creationist viewpoint(which I do) our common experience tells us that there would need to be a chicken to warm the aforementioned egg..
But then the chicken would not exist without a parent chicken to warm his or her egg, and the paradox continues.

That's where science falls into place.

"Species change over time in the process of evolution. Since DNA can be modified only before birth, a mutation must have taken place at conception or within an egg such that an animal similar to a chicken, but not a chicken, laid the first chicken egg.

However, a mutation in one individual is not normally considered a new species. A speciation event involves the separation of one population from its parent population, so that interbreeding ceases; this is the process whereby domesticated animals are genetically separated from their wild forebears. The whole separated group can then be recognized as a new species.

The modern chicken was believed to have descended from another closely related species of birds, the red junglefowl, but recently discovered genetic evidence suggests that the modern domestic chicken is a hybrid descendant of both the red junglefowl and the grey junglefowl. Assuming the evidence bears out, a hybrid is a compelling scenario that the egg came before the chicken."

Although that kind of takes the fun out of it all and removes any philosophical (or plain bizarre) viewpoints.

And the killing of the grandparent one? Well, I believe that the universe would explode or restart.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I was just acting under the belief that one came first, or, was the original. Whether through Creation, or the Big Bang, one came first. Only the chicken could survive for itself.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
I wonder if the people actually got my paradox on the first page.

The question ought to be:
Who is Jane's mother, father, grandfather, grand mother, son, daughter, granddaughter, and grandson?
And who is the bartender?

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Oh, I didn't know it was supposed to be answered. It looks like they would all be the same person. But wouldn't Drifter-Jane recognize girl-Jane and thus not create the child? I mean, if I had, for some reason, become a girl, and then gone back in time; I would recognize boy-Shuffla. Especially if we exchanged names.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Well, it's not supposed to be answered, but I realize some people might read it and think:"Ok, so what?", not knowing that every person mentioned in that story is one and the same person.

Also, Jane is doing it with him/herself of a different generation every time. So maybe (s)he has a baby that doesn't look like the parents(Jane and Jane) at all.

IT'S A PARADOX FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Well I guess Jane's hermaphrodite condition is due to the fact that he/she reproduces with him/herself. I mean, it's bad enough genetically when someone reproduces with a sibling or a parent or something, but with yourself?! Imagine all the medical problems that could cause! Biology, huwah!!!

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
I am a fan of the grandfather paradox

The paradox is this: suppose a man traveled back in time and killed his biological grandfather before the latter met the traveller's grandmother. As a result, one of the traveller's parents (and by extension, the traveller himself) would never have been conceived. This would imply that he could not have travelled back in time after all, which in turn implies the grandfather would still be alive, and the traveller would have been conceived, allowing him to travel back in time and kill his grandfather. Thus each possibility seems to imply its own negation, a type of logical paradox.
Thank God I waited until my father was born before I killed my grandfather.

Peeze

Smash Master
I've always loved this one by Robert Heinlein:

A baby girl is mysteriously dropped off at an orphanage in Cleveland in 1945. "Jane" grows up lonely and dejected, not knowing who her parents are, until one day in 1963 she is strangely attracted to a drifter. She falls in love with him. But just when things are finally looking up for Jane, a series of disasters strike. First, she becomes pregnant by the drifter, who then disappears. Second, during the complicated delivery, doctors find that Jane has both sets of sex organs, and to save her life, they are forced to surgically convert "her" to a "him." Finally, a mysterious stranger kidnaps her baby from the delivery room.

Reeling from these disasters, rejected by society, scorned by fate, "he" becomes a drunkard and drifter. Not only has Jane lost her parents and her lover, but he has lost his only child as well. Years later, in 1970, he stumbles into a lonely bar, called Pop's Place, and spills out his pathetic story to an elderly bartender. The sympathetic bartender offers the drifter the chance to avenge the stranger who left her pregnant and abandoned, on the condition that he join the "time travelers corps." Both of them enter a time machine, and the bartender drops off the drifter in 1963. The drifter is strangely attracted to a young orphan woman, who subsequently becomes pregnant.

The bartender then goes forward 9 months, kidnaps the baby girl from the hospital, and drops off the baby in an orphanage back in 1945. Then the bartender drops off the thoroughly confused drifter in 1985, to enlist in the time travelers corps. The drifter eventually gets his life together, becomes a respected and elderly member of the time travelers corps, and then disguises himself as a bartender and has his most difficult mission: a date with destiny, meeting a certain drifter at Pop's Place in 1970.
So would he be arrested for ****** himself?

darkserenade

Smash Ace
If an unstoppable, unbreakable object that can move in one direction were to collide with an unmoveable, unbreakable object, what would happen?

Next!

If there is an exception to every rule, then every rule must have at least one exception, the exception to this one being that it has no exception.

What question has no answers?

Wuss

Smash Champion
In a certain village, a sign outside of the barbershop's store reads:
The barber is to cut all person's hair unless he or she is to cut his or her own hair.

but then, who cut's the barber's hair?

M.K

Level 55
In a certain village, a sign outside of the barbershop's store reads:
The barber is to cut all person's hair unless he or she is to cut his or her own hair.

but then, who cut's the barber's hair?
He cuts his hair. He may be the barber, but he isn't the barber when he is cutting his own hair.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
I was seriously thinking about this for 10 min and can't think of anything.

Post.

Darkslash

Smash Master
So the thing is "Jane/Jake/Helter Skelter" causes "her/his/its" own misery.

But then if "Jane" give's birth to Jane by getting Pregnant from "Jake" that would mean the Baby was a clone becuase both alleles would be the same becuase they are the same person. There would be no chance for change in time as well becuase there will be constant intervention from "Helter Skelter(drifter)" and the Bartender.
Behold my crappy Allele chart

Because Both Jane and Jake have the exact same Allele's being the same person, the baby that they will give birth to will always be the same as "his/her/its" parents making it a clone having the exact DNA make up and Alleles.

If' i'm wrong then well lol.

StoleUrCar

Smash Journeyman
@ Darkslash...holy crap an allele chart! lmfao...good stuff. That is surprisingly logical..

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well there could be recessive alleles, and the makeup of every individual gamete is different due to the variance brought about by meiosis. So, if for example, she had a recessive blue eye allele that was dominated by her brown eye one, but both gametes had blue, she'd have a blue eyed child, which would not be a clone. That's right, you can have sex with yourself and not be a clone, and that's the bottomline, because Stone Cold said so.

Top Bottom