• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you could change 1 thing...

JOE!

Smash Hero
So, in various threads everybody is talking about what they want or how they would change P:M as it stands currently. So here in this thread I provide an outlet for all that discussion with a small catch:

You can only change 1 thing per Character
In order to limit just how much is said, as well as provoke meaningful thought into what you suggest, you can only change one thing per character as well as provide an explanation for why this change would be beneficial.

Example:

Yoshi: His Air Dodge can grab the ledge at the peak of movement.

This would alleviate a good deal of frustration from when his Air Dodge clearly puts him in reach of the ledge (touching it even), but then has him fall to his death soon after.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Ganondorf: Warlock Punch can be canceled X frames before it "activates", and then resumed that many frames before activation at the next usage.

Warlock Punch is an incredibly powerful move that never sees use thanks to it's 2 second animation time. Allowing it to still have the Animation time as a drawback, but with added functionality to charge up your black magic when convenient (like other heavy hitters DK and Samus), Ganon suddenly becomes very dangerous given some space as he can unleash the mother of all Punishes given the slightest chance to show off his Power.

I'll add more as I think of them, but what do you guys say?

Last edited:

turtletank

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi could an optional egg toss recovery by holding B.

Not even because of your example, it's just that Yoshi could use a better recovery.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Make Roy's fair have more reach than Marth's :troll:

Edit: Because aside from Ftilt, Roy's new moves still don't have more reach than Marth's equivalent of the move. Roy-Marth is pretty much the most biased matchup in the game. Roy is now good in his own right, but when I fight Marth as him, his clone roots really show. Marth out-ranges and out-speeds him and it sucks.

Last edited:

OMalley

Smash Cadet
make Olimar's d-air pull out fast like Diddy Kong. because right now that move is worthless, and as its stands Oli can't afford a worthless move

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I would make Samus a fast-faller. She's got such good moves, but all the floatiness is ruining it for me. I'm not talking about Fox levels of fastfalling; just enough so that I can actually shffle. This one change would really make her much more appealing in the eyes of many, imo.

Also, land-cancelling super missiles at the same rate of Falco lasers would be boss. Insta-god-tier.

JOE!

Smash Hero
So, a fast-faller naturally or have a fast fast-fall speed? Note that making her normally fall faster makes her more prone to combos and limits her recovery.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
A fast-faller naturally. Her recovery is so good though, even with a fast fall-speed surely she won't suffer that much. Maybe they could make it so she floats a bit after down-b so that bomb-stalling still works. Don't forget that she would also survive longer against characters who kill from the top than she does now. As for combos, it's a trade I'd be willing to take.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I was going to write something about Fox and Falco, but I see that Strong Bad's viewing this thread so I'll let him contribute that. (Edit: he left, but oh well.)

Instead, I'd change Charizard's air speed to be a little faster when he's gliding. You're a fire-breathing dragon, you shouldn't glide that slowly.

Last edited:

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
Make snake all around faster. Make Sonic Faster. (Your Too Slow!) Make Falcon say YES after every hit for every move while holding up taunt.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Make snake all around faster. Make Sonic Faster. (Your Too Slow!) Make Falcon say YES after every hit for every move while holding up taunt.
Why would sonic need to be faster?

Snake all around faster attack speed wise, movement wise or both?

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
Why would sonic need to be faster?

Snake all around faster attack speed wise, movement wise or both?
Sonic must be faster, always faster. Speed. Vroom Vroom. Snake just movement wise, he is my secondary and I love playing him other than the fact that I am definately a fan of being speedy and he just seems a lil' bit slow in the movement. But hey, what do I know? :s

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Give Ganondork his sword you saw in Melee when he won a match.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Return Sonic's Up-B back to normal.

Seriously, not being able to walljump or air-dodge after it just turns it into a ****ty recovery move. It's one of the changes I absolutely cannot and will not forgive.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Return Sonic's Up-B back to normal.

Seriously, not being able to walljump or air-dodge after it just turns it into a ****ty recovery move. It's one of the changes I absolutely cannot and will not forgive.
You say this about a character who doesn't even need to use his Up-B to recover most of the time he's knocked offstage.

Nazo actually freaks me out. His Sonic just does not die.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
You say this about a character who doesn't even need to use his Up-B to recover most of the time he's knocked offstage.
I like having the option. >>

Even if you are correct.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Ike: Give him back his super-armor on Aether.

Yeah, he's already difficult to edgeguard. Yeah, it was one of the things that made him too much in the 2.1 build. I miss it, sue me.

Fox: PAL USmash, Falco: Dair spike hitbox does not linger.

These ... don't really need an explanation.

Ganondorf: Hmm. I'll go with "Flame Choke buff." It could include things like flinch resistance so he can plow through projectiles, and increased range in the air for a better recovery and a mixup option. Ideally, aerial Flame Choke would pop up at a different angle and lead to different combos.

Roy: Switch to Ike's Dair.

Honestly, his current dair's sourspot is awkward. I'd make his meteor slightly weaker but easier to land, maybe remove the 'lingering hitbox' aspect of Ike's dair and just make Roy's dair a true quick gimp/combo move. That's just me though.

Charizard: Better aerial mobility. Yeah, his ground game is supposed to make up for it, but Charizard is a character who is supposed to wall of pain you off the top of the stage. He needs to maneuver better.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Ivysaur : 2.6 ftilt, or higher base air speed. Pick your favorite.

Roy : a new side B. This kid needs a recovery worth calling "a recovery". And if it involves fire, combos and fiery combos, I'm all for it.

Marth : sheik-like redone grab game that wouldn't autocombo floaties

Zelda : remove or reduce the negative SDI multipliers on her multihit.

Mario : make cape blockable wtf is wrong with y'all ?!

Global : make the powershield and reflect shield timing the same. I don't care if one gets harder or the other gets easier. Just make it one thing instead of two.

Last edited:

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
Ganon - Make aerial Flame Choke grab the ledge faster. As it stands, he bumps into the stage before grabbing it, and it leaves him open too long.

Bowser - I really, really liked Brawl Minus's running bear grab (side-B+A) which branched into 4 unique throws. (He had armor while advancing into an auto-grab). Not sure if it'd be more viable than Koopa Klaw, but it was so much fun and flashy to see him piledriving Zangief-style that I'd like to try it out in P:M.

Samus/Link/Tink - Wall cling grapples :p

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
ROB:
2.1 aerial side-b (fun movement shenanigans from jump->instant side-b->waveland)
or
a low landing hitbox along the ground for dair (no change to when it autocancels tho) [for drop canceling, poking shields, and those times when you side-b too low]
or
a larger shield (can I plz just PS projectiles thank you)
or
grounded side-b always reflects properly (it's not as reliable as I wish it were at reflecting stuff, its primary job)
or
Gyro can be refreshed when picked up/doesn't disappear right after thrown (i'd like to have a reason to charge it more often)
or
Gyro bounces a lot more (because gyro bounce combo shenanigans
or
Laser can be aimed further up and down (because edgeguard sniping and bouncing off the floor into peeps)
(preferred in that order)

Bowser:
Fireball instead of flame when B is released early (neutral game sucks tbh)

MewTwo:
Can teleport be less janky please (All I want is to always know I'll have a double jump or hover after teleporting if I saved it, how is that so bad)

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
It's not that.
http://smashboards.com/threads/mewt...leporting-under-certain-circumstances.347484/
The only times he can double jump/hover after teleporting are:
You teleport straight from the ground
or
You do a grounded jump, then teleport before falling past where your grounded jump started

Getting knocked into the air, running off a platform/edge canceling/waiting too long after a grounded jump are all situations under which you can't DJ/hover after your teleport even if you saved them.

Last edited:

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Make Roy's fair have more reach than Marth's :troll:

Edit: Because aside from Ftilt, Roy's new moves still don't have more reach than Marth's equivalent of the move. Roy-Marth is pretty much the most biased matchup in the game. Roy is now good in his own right, but when I fight Marth as him, his clone roots really show. Marth out-ranges and out-speeds him and it sucks.
You're not shffling nairs enough

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
On a less serious note, I really want to see a better taunt for Yoshi. I've brought this up before, but he has a lot of series nods (or even character nods) that would be more original than spinning in place like in two of his current taunts. He could:
-Show off his clever nature. Say, roll an egg down his back, flip it off his tail and catch it with his tongue.
-Put an egg on his back, have it start to float away in a bubble, then have him notice and eat it again.
-The Yoshi 64 end-of-level cheer ("ka-ka-ka-boooo!")
-Bring back his peace sign, or the 64 standing wave.

Seriously, any of those would make me want to play Yoshi a lot more. I ain't even mad about the no up-B hop because he has so many fun tools on-stage already.

Oh and again about the grapples, I still think it would be fitting for Zamus, Olimar and Lucas to keep Brawl grapples even if we get working Melee grapples. But, I wonder if it's possible for Samus to have one and Zamus to have the other?

SixSaw

Smash Journeyman
Wario's 60s+ waft should come out on frame 1.

It seems to me that waft was intended to have some utility as a "get off me" option similar to shine, what with how it has armor on frames 5-8, but the armor's not strong enough to work reliably against a lot of the 1-5 frame moves that other characters have at their disposal, so I don't feel it warrants the 8 frame startup. Compounded with the annoying mechanic whereby your fart gets "eaten" with no visual cue if you're hit during startup, using the fully charged waft starts to feel very risky outside of guaranteed setups. I'd rather have the 30s version almost every time purely because of its 4 frame startup. I guess it's cool that it incentivizes pacing your waft use, but meh.

No johns btw, waft as it is is fine (provided you stick to the 30s version). I just think it'd be cool if the fully charged version was more useful (not to mention the hilarity of Wario getting a once-per-minute fart super-shine).

Last edited:

Pretzels

Smash Rookie
I think being able to jump cancel Falcon's down-b would improve his neutral game mix-ups and make his recovery less predictable. I'm torn on that idea though, because I'm not sure how OP that would end up being, he's already a really strong character, and making his side-b NOT suicidal made his recovery above-average already.

And yeah, :ganondorf: needs a projectile. BADLY. Holy crap his neutral game sucks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Falcon...recovery above-average.
Sorry but lol.

Anyway, my list (will probably add to later):

Falco - Only the early hit of Dair is a spike while the later hit doesn't have a downwards trajectory. All spikes/meteors require precision except for this one, and none of them last as long, which makes this move too deadly. Also, blue flames for Firebird!!!

Fox - PAL Usmash. He is so fast and has so many freaking options that he doesn't need such a powerful KO move. Plus, it was already kinda buffed from Melee thanks to much greater ease in executing a running Usmash. Also, red reflector!!!

Zelda - faster ground/air speed. In a game where mobility is key, she is severely lacking. That's what is holding her back the most imo.

Ivysaur - Tilt leaf comes out a bit faster but retains its shorter range. Smash leaf retains the same slower startup but travels further and is a single hit of 8%. I don't think the two versions are differentiated enough currently, there isn't much of a use for the smash leaf, and I still think the move was slightly over-nerfed from 2.6.

Mario - Cape does no damage on shield but still turns them around. It doesn't really make much sense for a move to damage through a shield (pokes don't count.)

Link - Damage increases the longer the bomb has been out (aka bomb cooking.) Makes bombs placed on the ground/platforms a bit more threatening. Also, I don't care what anyone says - 9% is too wimpy for a freaking bomb!

Last edited by a moderator:

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
ladies and gentlemen i propose this.

If diddy kong's itty bitty kick can power through projectiles seamlessly then gannondorf and captain falcon's respective kicks should not clank but tank the heck through it!

I
mean come on guys on what earth does this make sense?

in fact i'm behind any change that gannondorf could get to him.

Jiggs - make sing a projectile pretty please? a slow moving projectile with a long distance would work very well for her.

Ness - make his pk thunder transcendant, like a laser. it can't power through people like lucas' so at least make it so he can't get screwed over by projectiles.

or give him another cannon moe and give him warp.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
I was a little off on the B- input for Bowser's command grabs; here's that part of the changelist (courtesy of SmashWiki) to provide some more detail about his revamped special. What do you all think? It'd be pretty sexy seeing a P:M version of that.

Bowser
  • Fire Breath removed, now replaced with Royal Rampage on the ground and Galactic Crusher in the air.
    • Royal Rampage: Bowser performs a Running Bear Grab. Bowser will gain super armor and walk forward until he either grabs an opponent or after 3 stomps. Grabbing the opponent results in an alternate grab state with alternate throws.
      • Forward throw: Bowser spins around and then throws the foe forward.
      • Back throw: Bowser grinds the opponent on the ground with his shell. A powerful horizontal finisher.
      • Up throw: Bowser jumps into the air and performs a piledriver. Useful for KOs.
      • Down throw: "Discus toss". Bowser slams the opponent on the ground. The opponent can tech the move like with Mr. Game & Watch's down throw.
    • Galactic Crusher: Bowser spins around in the air and gains super armor. If a foe is in range, they will be grabbed and piledriven into the ground, resulting in a powerful explosion and massive knockback.

Top Bottom