• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If this thread gets over 100,000 replies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pustulio

Smash Ace
Probably out eating some dirt or something.
Here's a rather good one.

A man rode to town on Sunday he spent the night and returned on the same Sunday. His home and the town are in the same time zone, how did he do it?

Another:

A man is trapped in a room with no doors windows or openings, in the room with him is a table and a mirror, how does he escape?

Sandy

Smash Champion
The geometry teacher asked the blonde:"How many degrees in a circle?' The blonde replied:"This is a trick question! Did you want farenheit or celsius?"

Sandy

Smash Champion
The famous "let's make a deal" riddle from Marilyn vos Savant's column "Ask Marilyn," got a lot of media attention when it appeared years ago. It became one of the most widely-debated probability problems of the past decade. Why? Because so many logicians and others thought she was wrong. They even wrote nasty letters to editors of newspapers. In the end, they wrote apologies - Marilyn was right all along.

In the original riddle, you are to suppose that you are a contestant on the old television game show "Let's Make A Deal." The emcee, Monty Hall, has told you that behind one of the large doors an the stage is a new car. The other doors have either a small gift or a goat. You get to choose a door, and keep whatever is behind it.

After you choose, Monty reveals what is behind one of the doors you didn't choose. It isn't the car. The car, then, is behind the door you chose or the other one. Mr. Hall gives you the option of switching to the other one if you wish. The question, then, is whether you should switch or not, or doesn't it make any difference (assuming you want the car more than the goat or small gift).

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
Answer A (three doors): im going to say switch. (well, specifically, switch if they show the goat first, and if they show the small gift...i say its a 50/50 chance, so either one)
reasoning: they like to reveal what you didnt get first, but revealing what would leave the biggest difference of prizes left, to make it more suspenseful when revealing the last of the two doors. the best situation for suspense would have the goat and the car unrevealed. so, they would have to reveal the small gift first. if you had picked the small gift, they would reveal the goat, because they dont want to show the car, to leave you thinking you might have it. therefore, if they show the goat, then you should switch to the other door, because you have picked the small gift. if you picked the goat, then they would reveal the small gift first, to leave the car and the goat left unknown. the last possibilty is that you originally picked the car. in this instance, i believe they would show you the small gift first, to leave the goat or the car unknown. so if they reveal the small gift, im just guessing, you should switch, because im not positive they would show the small gift first if you had picked the car, they could actually show either one, and leave alot of suspense. i believe its a 50/50 shot if they reveal the small gift first. but since we'd switch in the other situation (revealed a goat first), then ill say switch here too.

Answer B (two doors): there's only two doors, and you should stay. because youve already seen that the other door (which has either a small gift or a goat, doesnt matter which...) is not the car. therefore, the only other door (which you have chosen) is the car.

after typing my first answer i realized i probably missed something really obvious, so i reread the riddle, and the second answer popped into my head.

Sandy

Smash Champion
To increase the probability that you'll get the car, you should switch doors. This seems counter-intuitive to some, because it seems that no matter what Monty has revealed, you are left with two doors and no way to know which one has the car. The probability would seem to be 50% for either. It isn't.

Think of it this way: If you went through this routine 300 times, you would choose a door without the car about 200 of those times, right? (2 out of three doors have no car, so 200 out of 300 times - on average - you would choose a door without the car) Now, each of those times Monty will eliminated the other non-car door for you, meaning if you switch you will get the car, right?

Of course the other 100 times you will have chosen the right door from the start, and will lose the car when you switch. However, winning 200 out of 300 times is better than 50%, right? With a probability of 2/3, or 66.7%, you should always switch.

There are other ways in which people have explained this. To me, the interesting thing about the "let's make a deal," riddle, is that it is an example of the relevance of knowing how to figure probabilities. This is how the game show was really played, after all. I wonder what the statistics are on how many contestants switched or stayed with their first choice?

Doraki

Smash Lord
It depends on how you pose the problem.
when you say "Monty reveals what is behind one of the doors you didn't choose.",
Can he reveal the car that way, or is he always revealing a gift/goat ?
I suppose he never reveals the car so yeah switching doors would be best in this case.

digitalmaster287

Smash Journeyman
It is only better for switching if Monty ALWAYS reveals what is behind one of the other doors. He could always only give you the option of switching only when you have picked the car in the first place. But yeah, if he always gives you the switch doors option, then you have a 66% chance of winning if you do switch.

Sandy

Smash Champion
You are locked in a jail cell with no windows. and you need to tap out a message on the wall for the man in the other cell next to you. The problem is that you have to do it at exactly 9:15 PM, when the guard outside is switched, so your noise won't be noticed. You can't hear the switching of the guards through your walls, and you have no clock.

There is a faucet with water dripping very consistently from it in the corner, but you don't know if it is dripping at 30 or 40 or however many drops per minute, and that wouldn't give you the time in any case. You can just make out the chiming of a church bell, but it chimes just once at the top of each hour, so you can't tell the time from that. You can feel the wall facing west start to cool after the sun sets, but you don't know what time the sun is setting, and this isn't very precise in any case. Your dinner is always passed into your cell between 6:15 and 6:45. How do you determine when it is exactly 9:15 PM?

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
When you're dinner is given to you, you wait till the next time the church bell is gonna chime, when it does, you start counting every drop for one whole hour(so then it's 8:00), at this point you've got the number of drops/hour. You divide that number by 4. You wait another hour for the church bell to chime, then you are gonna count that number of drops divided by 4 and then it's 9:15.

But I'm questioning myself because I thought this answer is rather simple.

Sandy

Smash Champion
When you're dinner is given to you, you wait till the next time the church bell is gonna chime, when it does, you start counting every drop for one whole hour(so then it's 8:00), at this point you've got the number of drops/hour. You divide that number by 4. You wait another hour for the church bell to chime, then you are gonna count that number of drops divided by 4 and then it's 9:15.

But I'm questioning myself because I thought this answer is rather simple.
After dinner arrives, you listen for the church bell. Since dinner comes between 6:15 and 6:45, the next chiming has to be at 7:00 PM. When you hear it, you start to count the drips from the faucet until you hear the chime again at 8:00 PM. Divide the number of drips by four, and you'll have the number of drips that fall in fifteen minutes (Or you can divide by sixty to get the drops per minute, and then multiply this by fifteen). When the bell chimes again at 9:00, you start counting drips until you reach the specified number. It is now 9:15 PM, and time to tap out your message.

radical00edward

Smash Journeyman
It depends on how you pose the problem.
when you say "Monty reveals what is behind one of the doors you didn't choose.",
Can he reveal the car that way, or is he always revealing a gift/goat ?
I suppose he never reveals the car so yeah switching doors would be best in this case.
this is very off topic but it needs to be said. in your signature is says "Falco is not a character, he is a gay glitch made of disjointed hitboxes and gay lasers." you make it sound like gay is an insult.

GaNoNdOrFgUrL

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2853-0620-9258
1. There is a one story house that is blue, and everything inside it is blue. The floors are blue, the walls are blue, and the furnature is blue. What color are the stairs?

2. You can't eat an orange and throw away the peel. A man is not a fruit.
^What does this mean?

3. What is your name? Spell it.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
1. None, there are no stairs.
2. It means that you can't eat a orange and throw away the peel and that a man is no fruit. Duh.
3. See above

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
3. Zach, I-T

- In a street there are five houses, painted five different colors.

- In each house lives a person of different nationality

- These five homeowners each drink a different kind of beverage, smoke different brand of cigar and keep a different pet.

Einstein's riddle is: Who owns the fish?

Necessary clues:

1. The British man lives in a red house.
2. The Swedish man keeps dogs as pets.
3. The Danish man drinks tea.
4. The Green house is next to, and on the left of the White house.
5. The owner of the Green house drinks coffee.
6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
7. The owner of the Yellow house smokes Dunhill.
8. The man living in the center house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
12. The man who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The Blends smoker lives next to the one who drinks water.

Also

Is it legal for a man to marry his widow's sister in the state of California?

Sandy

Smash Champion
3. Zach, I-T

- In a street there are five houses, painted five different colors.

- In each house lives a person of different nationality

- These five homeowners each drink a different kind of beverage, smoke different brand of cigar and keep a different pet.

Einstein's riddle is: Who owns the fish?

Necessary clues:

1. The British man lives in a red house.
2. The Swedish man keeps dogs as pets.
3. The Danish man drinks tea.
4. The Green house is next to, and on the left of the White house.
5. The owner of the Green house drinks coffee.
6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
7. The owner of the Yellow house smokes Dunhill.
8. The man living in the center house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
12. The man who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The Blends smoker lives next to the one who drinks water.
I posted that already before. The answer is the German.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
You actually expected me to read all of these?

Guess me and Frankie fly both copy+pasted from the same website

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
My passion for the tango?

Oh gosh, that was stupid.

PS: My earlier riddle about being pregnant. The answer was a fruit. Yeah, I made it up myself. :(

Sandy

Smash Champion
John is on a raft, adrift in the ocean with several other survivors of a shipwreck. The others are too weak, so he or Mike will swim to a nearby island to look for help. It is almost certainly suicidal, due to the circling sharks, but they have little else to hope for. Mike takes the lose change from his pocket and puts two pennies in a hat. He tells John that one is a 2005 penny, and the other 1975. If John picks the newer penny he can stay on the rat, and Mike will risk his life. If John picks the older penny, he must go. John has seen that both pennies were actually dated 1975, but he doesn't want to say anything, because Mike is a big guy. How does he win, and get Mike to go, without exposing him as a fraud in front of the others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom