• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If this thread gets over 100,000 replies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doraki

Smash Lord
here's one riddle I liked a lot when I first saw it :

10 pirates discover a treasure of 1000 gold coins.
The captain is about to decide who gets what share of the treasure.
(1 gold coin can't be divided at all.)

The pirates have a unique way to decide this.
first, they sort themselves by rank.
Then the one who has the highest rank (for now, the captain), tell the others how he would distribute the coins.
Then the other pirates vote if they agree with the distribution or not.
If the majority is against, he will be killed instead, and it'll be the next pirate's turn to offer a distribution.
Then they will vote again, etc...
If the majority agrees with it, the treasure gets distributed as offered.

The pirates value their own life the most, and then their money.
They are blood-thirsty, so if the vote is even, the highest ranked pirate will get killed too.
Also, this means that a pirate will vote against if he has no reason to vote for.
Lastly, the ranks also mean general likeability, so if a pirate hesitates at some point between several pirates for his distribution, he will give the more gold coins to the higher ranked pirates.

Every pirate is, of course, very intelligent. (that makes sense)

They think about it for a bit,then the captain tells his decision, and the majority agrees with him.
How many gold coins did the captain get for himself ?

camo-man

Smash Cadet
Vote Count:

Ixnay – 2
Lance87, Sinz

Lance87 - 3
frozenflame751, ligolski, TahjMach

It takes 7 to lynch.

DEADLINE time!!!! Whoever has the most votes is kill'd and if there's a tie, the one that got voted up first is kill'd. 1 day.

cowboyardee

Smash Journeyman
Okay here goes my try at doraki's riddle:

the captain gets 993 gold coins for himself. He distributes the coins as follows --
#9 (second in command) gets no coins, #8 gets 1, #7 gets 2, #6 gets 0, #5 gets 1, #4 gets 2, #3 gets 0, #2 gets 0, and #1 gets 1. Everyone who got any coin voted in favor of the captain's plan and all others voted against it.

The rationale: Imagine there were only four pirates. In that case, the leader would get all 1000 coins with the support of #2 and #3 who vote in his favor to avoid being killed in the subsequent votes (they cannot possibly achieve a majority since #4 will vote against them.) Because of this we know that if there were five pirates, the proposer could win a majority by giving 0 coins to his next in command, and 1 each to the remaining three thus gaining their votes by giving them each one more coin than they would get were they to vote against. The sequence of alternatives is as follows

(rank of pirate, higher number = higher rank)->(how many coins they get)(how they voted, y=yes, n=no)
1 pirate:
pirate gets teh moneys.

Hence in the case of 2 pirates:
any proposal fails since the other pirate will vote no, kill the proposer and keep the money, satisfying both bloodlust and greed

hence 3 pirates:
any proposal fails since 1 will vote no. Pirate 3 is killed.

hence 4 pirates:
4<-1000... 3->0y, 2->0y, 1->0n

hence 5 pirates:
5<-997... 4->0n, 3->1y, 2->1y, 1->1y

hence 6 pirates:
6<-995... 5->0n, 4->1y, 3->2y, 2->2y, 1->0n

hence 7 pirates:
7<-993... 6->0n, 5->1y, 4->2y, 3->3y, 2->0n, 1->1y

hence 8 pirates:
8<-994... 7->0n, 6->1y, 5->2y, 4->0n, 3->0n, 2->1y, 1->2y

hence 9 pirates:
9<-993... 8->0n, 7->1y, 6->2y, 5->0n, 4->1y, 3->1y, 2->2y, 1->0n

hence 10 pirates:
10<-993... 9->0n, 8->1y, 7->2y, 6->0n, 5->1y, 4->2y, 3->0n, 2->0n, 1->1y

let me know if my logic is off or if you don't follow my reasoning.

ligolski

Smash Rookie
so it all ends today...it was nice playing with you lance but since ur mafia ur gonna lose along with the rest of your mafia team!

camo-man

Smash Cadet
Vote Count:

Ixnay – 2
Lance87, Sinz

Lance87 - 4
frozenflame751, ligolski, TahjMach, anonymous

TIMES UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup. Well, Lance87 is killed and his head is paraded around for he is Knoll, mafia-aligned roleblocker! Pezaddict lets out a big laugh or triumph when a bolt of lightning strikes him. He's been killed by God for not posting enough. He was Fiora, town-aligned tracker

It is now Night 6, send in you night roles

Ronike

Smash Ace
Woo! Inactiveness! Im also gonna say maybe the famous restaurants are suspiscious as we have very few of those.

säpo.

Smash Apprentice
Longest. Sentence. EVER.

In this game we'll write a sentence and you're not allowed to write dots, excl marks and question marks. Try with commas instead. I'll begin

Once upon a time there was a guy called Chris, who lived in a small house with white doors

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
God, this thread hurts my brain.....

Curse you Doraki, you and your migraine-inducing posts!

cowboyardee

Smash Journeyman
here's one that's not too bad until I can remember/read/make up another harder one:

World war II saw the birth of dogfighting. England sent planes by the hundreds to battle german fighters and bombers, and many of those planes never came back. Trying to gain any edge they could in the war, england decided that its fighter planes needed better armor. So they enlisted the help of one of their engineers to look at the battle-tested british planes and make recommendations as to the best and lightest way to effectively add armor.

The engineer studied hundreds of battle-tested british fighter planes. He found that most of them had been hit many many times. They were often riddled with gunfire. The bullet holes were scattered and spread and seemingly random. And in comparing notes on hundreds of different planes, he could find no common spot or area on the planes where all or most of them had been hit, no real focusing of damage.

Yet he when he made his report, his recommendations for armoring the planes were both effective and efficient. How did he make such good suggestions?

cowboyardee

Smash Journeyman
sorry, I was unclear. He was hired to figure out where to add more armor to the planes (for example, double the thickness of the metal casings on the tips of the wings) and that is what he successfully did.

But how?

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Three men get shipwrecked on an island. The island is small, and has little food for all of them. But the three men manage to live for several months without inncident.

Man 1, however, got greedy and stole some food from Man 2. Because of his, Man 2 dies from starvation.

Since there is more rations, Man 1 makes soup for man 3, who was brothers with Man 2. It's Seagull soup. Man 3 thinks it's the most amazing thing he has ever had.

Three weeks later, man 1 is dead, and Man 3 is still alive on the Island. He manages to make a raft and sail it to land.

He sees a restaurant on the beach. He walks into the restaurant and gets seated. He looks at the menu and orders seagull soup, remembering how much he enjoyed it last time. The waitress brings out the soup, he takes one bite, realizes something & runs out onto the road and gets killed.

What made him freak out?

Drab Emordnilap

Palindrome Bard
BRoomer
The Engineer armoured the parts of the planes that had no reported damage. The reported damage locations did not need to be armoured further, since apparently the planes damaged there managed to make it back to report damages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom