• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If there are tiers, will DK be Mid or higher?

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
i'm pretty sure that's it? lol, he pretty much just spammed downsmash out of shield, so if his opponent (like me) didn't space perfectly, he pretty much punished.

He used the armor thing pretty well.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
big names? not many but lovage805 festizzio (or however you spell it) and a bunch of the moorpark smashers showed up, I'm hosting a tournament with ultra luigi this saturday though, so I figure if I keep doing well more dks will pop up

dr0go

Smash Apprentice
DK is good just that it takes longer to learn how to use effectively and that is why not everybody likes him but when someone knows how to use him they use him good

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
In Atlanta(Final Round XI) over 100 people, I took top 12 with DK. =)

I'll throw this here because it is a tier discussion:

Alright Kong soldiers Let's do this.
DK rating. Please contribute, defend, and discuss until we all can come to a conclusion.

Categories include

Range- 7
Power- 10
Throws- 7
Speed- 4
Recovery- 6
weight/size- 6

Range= 7
Overall DK's range is MUCH MUCH better, but not best. Ftilt, Fsmash, Bair,downB and dashing grapple are the best ranged moves. Which, isn't bad might I add. I would give Olimar or pit a 10. Definitely above average. Anyone want to disagree on 7 of 10?

Power= 10
Yes I will agree that IKE and Lucas have A heavier smash but how often is that going to hit compared to a massive Fair, Fsmash, sideB or Donkey Punch from our beloved ape? DK is POWERFUL! SA Frames FTW. groundedupB does MASSIVE damage btw. I would give Ganondorf a 10, but also deserves a 10 due to his excessive amount of KO moves.

Throw= 7
DK has NUMEROUS effective options, including SA frames on cargo, stage spike, Wall infinites, a Btoss that CAN kill, throw from ledge... It's just that everything is so situational making his most valuable options sometimes unreliable. I would give IC and D3 a 10 for for 1 throw 1 death occurrences.

Speed= 4
Assuming average is 5, I feel DK is just below average as his dash and foxtrot actually get his butt moving, while his startup and range really compensate for his overall speed. It is fair and slightly below par. Dsmash comes out FAST though. I would obviously give Sonic a 10.

Recovery= 6
Yes he only has two jumps, but spinning Kong is AMAZING, you will always have a chance to grab ledge, + you have invincibility frames on start-up, and sideB delays so you can prevent from getting gimped so much. The only thing keeping DK from a 7-10 recovery is a lack of 5 jumps as he has NO WAY of coming back from under the stage. lol. 10 in recovery goes to Pit and Metaknight BTW. His is pretty predictable though and gets spiked easily. =(

weight/size=7
His weight is amazingly heavy, but he is soo big that people can tech chase, ledge guard, chain throw and combo him EASY. He gets hit often but it takes more to kill him. UPDATE, he just lives soo loong against people with weak KO's, he can survuve ~250%, that's impressive.

I feel Dk's disadvantages really make this fight easy for his opponents, as his overall size makes combo's easy and his recovery can be very predictable... death. Prone to spikes too. This is why he isn't higher in value.

Composite score for the moment is
7+10+7+4+6+6= 40/60

I have a hard time agreeing to increasing the already high rane value of 7 when he gets ranged by other players and loses for it. When an opponents relies only on Range and Speed they OWN DK meaning these two stats combined are weak for DK and in the opponents favor. I would not consider DK a range character, that's why I am so hesitant to put him above 7. Ganon has more range than DK guys, and we know Ganon is not beastly because of his range.

Characters I would consider being "Ranged Characters"
Diddy
Falco
Ike
D3
Link
Lucas
Ness
Pikachu
Olimar
Pit
Ivysaur
ROB
Samus
Snake
Toon
Wolf
Zelda
Zamus

_XerO_

Smash Rookie
DK is definitely underrated.

He won't be high or top tier since he can't keep up with the projectile spamming that goes on in Brawl. He's also easy to combo because of his size.

That said, DK has a lot of good things going for him.

The problem with DK in Melee was that he needed to grab to combo, and needed to punch to KO. His combos out of a grab are gone, but he's got such good range/DPS/move priority that 6-8 hits will put enemies into KO range easily. He's got plenty of KO options now, too. Sweetspotted Bair, Donkey Punch, Uair, Fair, Dsmash, and even Fsmash/Usmash can KO very effectively.
On top of all that, DK's really not that slow of a character, as people tend to think.

I think he's probably near the bottom of mid-tier this time around.
And of course, I'll main him no matter what.

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
"He won't be high or top tier since he can't keep up with the projectile spamming that goes on in Brawl. He's also easy to combo because of his size."

Bum for the win.

Projectiles are overrated and I believe it's a manifestation of online play. PSing projectiles and in general closing in isn't nearly as difficult offline. Side/jump/short hop air dodge/walk and block/Roll for the win. Up close they must fight, and DK's really good move set takes over from there.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I dont know why but DK never struck me as a really slow character. Maybe hes not as fast as some of the more average characters, but he feels a hell of a lot faster than just about every other heavy character. Plus since his priority is good with a lot of attacks, it somewhat makes up for the lack of combo ability that comes with reduced speed, but then again combos arent nearly as plentiful in Brawl anyways, so that isnt too detrimental to him. Plus hes got good startup time for some pretty strong attacks (like his godly down smash).

I say there is no way he isnt at least a mid tier character.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
A DK player named Riot just won a florida tourney with DK. 70ish people attended, and DK came out on top.

I admit I was wrong in placing DK so low initially. I'm starting to think he is someplace in the upper side of mid tier. Definitely tournament viable.

I think that DK has gotten a lot better overall. I don't think his throws kill as well as they could in melee I like the invincible frames he gets during most of his moves.

DK= God tier LOL JK

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Man I was challenging alot of people from SWF on wifi with the freind finder, and was wrecking with DK. He's such beast :love:

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Why does everyone want DK to get high tier placement? It's way more fun to dominate with a character that everyone else thinks is ****ty. :laugh:

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
nobody likes dk because of his steep learning curve. when most people start out, dk gets a stigma as a bad character because he has no projectile and no spamable move. everyones always thought he sucked, since 64

BluMilk

Smash Apprentice
dude the "K" in 'DK' should stand for "Kick-AZZ". Dk is incredibly beast and he is now my new main.

People who think DK is slow will be the first ones to get vert killed by a dsmash.

ICEDTEA1325

Smash Apprentice
he won't be tp tier due to the fact that hes big, can be comboed easy, and chain grabbed easy. mk pit marth space animals rob pit will be high leaving dk to be mid at the highest he will get....

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
he won't be tp tier due to the fact that hes big, can be comboed easy, and chain grabbed easy. mk pit marth space animals rob pit will be high leaving dk to be mid at the highest he will get....
actually, metaknight and pit are looking slowly worse as we get used to the game, and marth, while he can be good, seems to be lacking the range that made him so broken in melee, and the physics support the big guys, because you can just airdodge out of many would be combos, so he has a good shot at high

ajsmith401

Smash Apprentice
so true, so true

maybe, but dk seems slow enough to scare away the kids that pick by tier

with some of the new grab tricks that are coming out, he's definitely going to be mid-high. and possibly a snake counter (snakes recovery is completely verticle, a dtoss to dair will kill him at 40% and is very hard to get around with being stage spiked)

I personally think Wario and DK are 100% legitimate Snake counters...soooo easy to gimp Snake's recovery :(

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
I personally think Wario and DK are 100% legitimate Snake counters...soooo easy to gimp Snake's recovery :(
Gimp Snakes recovery= YES
Approach Snake= NO

How viable is Match-ups when comprehending Tiers. Additionally, How viable is a good match-up against one assumed Top Character. =/

I think it'd dumb that tiers are established by tournament results. As all records aren't factored. Technically, Guilty Gear is by win/lose results, BUT, the cabinet records EVERY MATCH-UP win & Lose, not just the top 8 from the Major tourney's.

I thought for a while Potential was the way to do it. But, numarically measuring potential isn't concrete enough + it doesn't factor in anomillies.

ajsmith401

Smash Apprentice
First of all, who the F*** uses wario? and second, If you wanna beat snake just use pika....
wow...go to tournaments, please.

Gimp Snakes recovery= YES
Approach Snake= NO

How viable is Match-ups when comprehending Tiers. Additionally, How viable is a good match-up against one assumed Top Character. =/

I think it'd dumb that tiers are established by tournament results. As all records aren't factored. Technically, Guilty Gear is by win/lose results, BUT, the cabinet records EVERY MATCH-UP win & Lose, not just the top 8 from the Major tourney's.

I thought for a while Potential was the way to do it. But, numarically measuring potential isn't concrete enough + it doesn't factor in anomillies.
Well I mean, who IS good against Snake? Character wise, I think DK and Wario are great counters. Thats just my opinion based off of my personal experience.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Kyle, snake is approachable... barely but you can do it, the thing that always gets me is getting back on the ground once he knocks you up, snake juggles too well

EDIT: the people who use wario are the people who place higher than you in tournaments roller king

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
i see DK Upper/high tier. Sure he can be chain grabbed but other high potential chars can be chain grabbed (Snake can be chain grabbed by pikachu) . He does have no projectiles, but he can stop most of them. He may have a huge hit box, but his reach is long and he has POWER. cargo toss is a bonus plus. DK has more for him than against.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
some chain grabs don't work on him actually, the only consistent ones have been pikachus forward one (the one that doesn't do much damage) IC's, D3's, and warios (only once or twice though) the rest can be tech'd or jumped out of

dk is definitely high tier, and a metaknight counter

J4pu

Smash Champion
no one likes DK because of his final smash it's not the worst in my opinion i think peach's is the worst.
Peach's FS is the worst? I seriously doubt that, I'd place worst smash on either DK, MK, or CF
as for tier-wise I never come into this forum so I'm still thinking DK will top out at below average, but I can't wait for you guys to prove me wrong.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
some chain grabs don't work on him actually, the only consistent ones have been pikachus forward one (the one that doesn't do much damage) IC's, D3's, and warios (only once or twice though) the rest can be tech'd or jumped out of

dk is definitely high tier, and a metaknight counter
Falco gets a rep or two legit, after a little while the ONLY option DK has to escape is to activate aeriel upB. =/

Cpt_EJ

Smash Cadet
it's funny, how you shock ppl when you say you main DK. They're like "you're joking right, DK sucks"

Then I proceed to beat them and then laugh.

DK, might be higher tier but as stated before, tiers depend greatly on popularity and DK hasn't been getting that much attention.

So perhaps mid just because of the popularity factor

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
socal is convinced he is mid to high, if i place top 3 a few more times dk might finally get some respect.

heres a little bit that helps, he matches well against the top 3 played characters (Snake, MK, G&W), hes pretty much a counter to mk

Top Bottom