• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If there are tiers, will DK be Mid or higher?

DK!

Smash Cadet
Hello all. First post on this sight, though I've been reading them for over half a year. The name is just DK (had to put something with the name for account).

After playing DK in brawl for sometime, he is definitely better then he was in melee. I feel he is a guaranteed mid-tier because he lives so dam long and kills easily, and is fun to play as when you annoy your opponent, but to your opinions, is DK high tear material?

The Director

Smash Lord
It's going to take a long time to divvy up the tier list, (a year atleast) but when it's all said and done DK will be high, if not top tier. He's easily one of the best characters in the game. Too bad nobody will realize this because he's so dreadfully unpopular.

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
Well, the tier list is supposedly based on tournament results, rather than just the community’s opinions alone.

If DK really is meant for the upper half of the list, he’ll get there eventually. ;)

Break

Smash Apprentice
I think the fact that he has the power to actually KILL opponents will help his placing. With most other characters the opponent just seems to die, it doesn't feel much like a KO. Well, minus Ike and the other heavy characters, luckily DK is a bit speedier than most of those fellows.

funnyguy500

Smash Cadet
DK is a scary scary ape

DK definitely feels high to top to me. Great priority, Ridiculous killing and staying power, and with the general pace of brawl slowed down, his speed looks real good. The Director's DK is real mean. on a light character , after 5-6 moves DK is ready to KO you, and on a heavy its not much better. As of now id say hes one of the most dangerous chars in brawl

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
He's easily one of the best characters in the game. Too bad nobody will realize this because he's so dreadfully unpopular.[/QUOTE said:
Though maybe not the best character, he is way better than whatever the tier list will represent.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Well, the tier list is supposedly based on tournament results, rather than just the community’s opinions alone.
^ this.

Tier lists are based on which characters placed well in tournaments most often. So we won't know.

mp1776120

Smash Rookie
a question that i feel is more important is "do you really want DK to be labeled as top/high tier"?
there's going to be a big DK bandwagon coming along and all the noobs will start using him, spamming the boards and disgracing the DK name

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
Don’t forget, everyone — however high DK gets will be due to our efforts as a community!

Or, uh, something.

mp1776120 said:
a question that i feel is more important is "do you really want DK to be labeled as top/high tier"?
there's going to be a big DK bandwagon coming along and all the noobs will start using him, spamming the boards and disgracing the DK name
Heh. Don’t forget, though, that there was a disproportionately small following for DK in Mêlée, given his position on the list. Even if he does get high this time, I can’t foresee people taking to him like they do characters who are simply liked more.

I don’t know, maybe things’ll be different this time around. Still, though, the only Brawl character forum with less posts than this one is Jigglypuff’s … :p

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
maybe, but dk seems slow enough to scare away the kids that pick by tier

with some of the new grab tricks that are coming out, he's definitely going to be mid-high. and possibly a snake counter (snakes recovery is completely verticle, a dtoss to dair will kill him at 40% and is very hard to get around with being stage spiked)

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
/sigh

i've pointed out in a couple different threads like this that EVERY character's forum has a thread in which people say that character is top tier, or "at least very high!"

what i'm wondering is if yoshi and DK are not at the bottom, who the hell is? try as i may, i cannot come up with any characters in the game that I think have less potential than these two.

Stalfoe

Smash Apprentice
If he's high then it will mean that the 3 heaviest characters are really good. Bowser is great, DDD is arguably the best. I haven't had much time with DK yet so I can't say. I can tell you one thing though, Ganon and Bowser did a complete flip in usability...

aids514

Smash Cadet
Not to blast DK on a DK thread but I've got him pegged as the very bottom of the tier list. That's right, # 37 out of 37. How is it that you're all expecting he'll be so good? Maybe I'm missing something but I can't think of many characters worse than him (maybe Ganon).

Break

Smash Apprentice
It probably just seems that way since the game is tad more balanced, we have less Sheik vs. Bowser set-ups like we did in Melee. With his great mix of speed and power there's no way he'll be at the very bottom. We won't know for a while though tiers take a while to form properly. So, until then I suggest you try playing some of the DK's here on the boards, maybe they'll change your minds, maybe not, but it's worth a shot eh?

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
In a 6 tiered tier list that I made, he's placed in the lower half of the 3rd one. He's definitely a threat with his new found girth, strength, and range, but because the metagame is more campy, it's a bit harder for him to get hits in being slow and all.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
you have to remember, bottom tier in brawl will be something like low mid in melee: still okay, still usable in tournaments, but you have your work cut out for you

oh hey wasn't dk low mid in melee...? ;)

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
actually, according to alot of people towards the end of melee, if they made a tier list the day before brawl came out, DK would be high/mid. on top of that he got buffed

and if you want a few characters worse than dk heres the ones i know have less potential Ganon, Sonic, Link. The rest may have more or less, havent played enough totell, but regardless of what the link/sonic fanboys think, those 2 have next to no potential, and ganons nerf hurt him bad

Also, DK isn't that slow, hes a little slower than mario, and much faster than the other heavies, combined with his range he can keep up with most characters

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Gentlemen, in the end, DK's position on the tier list is not determined by how good of a character he is. In fact, it is more determined by how popular of a character he is. While the two are not mutually exclusive (meaning that they sometimes intertwine, ex: popular fox was the best in melee), it is very important to note that tiers are determined by how often a character wins tournaments.

It all has to do with the metagame (if you don't know what this means, it basically means the way the game is played currently). If DK were one of the best characters in the game, but he was barely ever played due to his stigma as a "slow", "comedic", or even "tournament taboo" character, then he would be placed lower on the tier list simply because less people would play as him. The fewer the people who play as him, the fewer techniques are discovered for him, and the less involved he is in the metagame. If Lucario is a very bad character but is incredibly popular, then more players will enter tournaments with him, therefore more tournaments will be won by Lucarios, therefore he will rise on the tier list. The mutual exclusivity breaks here, because the more a character is played, the better he becomes thanks to new discoveries or studies.

In the long run, the more a character is played, the better he will be. In the short term, this means that if DK is not popular during the first year of Brawl, he will be low on the tier list, despite how great the few DK players are. In definitive terms, I iterate, tiers are determined by how often a character wins tournaments, and by consequence, partially by how popular a character is.

Basically, don't expect DK to be high on the tier list unless he becomes more popular. Remember that the early tier lists in Melee had Zelda as high tier, and after the metagame evolved, she was lowered. Things always change depending on the community.

Speculation as to whether DK will be Mid, High, or Low tier should not be simply determined by how good of a character he is. Besides the argument that I have just presented, we must take into consideration the fact that we the goers of this forum will be biased towards our big ape. Instead, speculation should include how popular he is and how great of a character he is.

When I combine those two, I don't see him being very high on the tier list yet. But please remember that I will give no importance to tier evaluations until more tournaments have been held. Because tiers are determined by tournament performance.

Reno-Vgas

Smash Cadet
Tiers are inevitable, and DK is real fun IMO. But he is the worst of the heavys I think, only good airs are b and up air, smashes are that great, His forward throw carry thing has been almost useless for me because enemys can leave grabs at like 100% in 3 seconds, and hes not very popular so I'm thinking low tier.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Tiers are inevitable, and DK is real fun IMO. But he is the worst of the heavys I think, only good airs are b and up air, smashes are that great, His forward throw carry thing has been almost useless for me because enemys can leave grabs at like 100% in 3 seconds, and hes not very popular so I'm thinking low tier.
nair says hello, also fair is a great killing move when used properly.

and his forward carry is amazing because it gives 2 full seconds of super armor, and can wall infinite and stage spike, not to mention work into uair when done properly

DK is one of the better heavies, he just has the steepest learning curve

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Gentlemen, in the end, DK's position on the tier list is not determined by how good of a character he is. In fact, it is more determined by how popular of a character he is. While the two are not mutually exclusive (meaning that they sometimes intertwine, ex: popular fox was the best in melee), it is very important to note that tiers are determined by how often a character wins tournaments.

It all has to do with the metagame (if you don't know what this means, it basically means the way the game is played currently). If DK were one of the best characters in the game, but he was barely ever played due to his stigma as a "slow", "comedic", or even "tournament taboo" character, then he would be placed lower on the tier list simply because less people would play as him. The fewer the people who play as him, the fewer techniques are discovered for him, and the less involved he is in the metagame. If Lucario is a very bad character but is incredibly popular, then more players will enter tournaments with him, therefore more tournaments will be won by Lucarios, therefore he will rise on the tier list. The mutual exclusivity breaks here, because the more a character is played, the better he becomes thanks to new discoveries or studies.

In the long run, the more a character is played, the better he will be. In the short term, this means that if DK is not popular during the first year of Brawl, he will be low on the tier list, despite how great the few DK players are. In definitive terms, I iterate, tiers are determined by how often a character wins tournaments, and by consequence, partially by how popular a character is.

Basically, don't expect DK to be high on the tier list unless he becomes more popular. Remember that the early tier lists in Melee had Zelda as high tier, and after the metagame evolved, she was lowered. Things always change depending on the community.

Speculation as to whether DK will be Mid, High, or Low tier should not be simply determined by how good of a character he is. Besides the argument that I have just presented, we must take into consideration the fact that we the goers of this forum will be biased towards our big ape. Instead, speculation should include how popular he is and how great of a character he is.

When I combine those two, I don't see him being very high on the tier list yet. But please remember that I will give no importance to tier evaluations until more tournaments have been held. Because tiers are determined by tournament performance.
Hmmm, i may be playing mikehaze and a few other big name socal smashers in a tourney this saturday, maybe if i win a couple fights dk might get some attention

Stalfoe

Smash Apprentice
nair says hello, also fair is a great killing move when used properly.

and his forward carry is amazing because it gives 2 full seconds of super armor, and can wall infinite and stage spike, not to mention work into uair when done properly

DK is one of the better heavies, he just has the steepest learning curve
I would have to say Ganon has the steepest learning curve of the Heavies. Because of his slow moves and lack of any definite combos, I would say that a lot of his wins could be based on luck with players at the same level or experience. Unlike Ganon, DK has range AND speed, Dtilt being a perfect example. His moves combo into each other as well.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
No one likes DK as of now,they will probably be like ICs in melee. Start off low-mid and work up to upper-mid. Another thing with DK is that he doesn't have too many match-ups in his favor. over half of the roster is just an even match for him, he doesn't really counter anybody except for ganon, Falcon(slight counter), and probably one other. he's just for fun

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
sonic = crappier boat than dk

I've done my part to place fairly high with dk in as many tourneys as possible, just got 3rd in a 50+ man tourney, and probably spawned 5-10 new dk mains in the process, hes got a lot of potential, definitely not as bad as sonic

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
No one likes DK as of now,they will probably be like ICs in melee. Start off low-mid and work up to upper-mid. Another thing with DK is that he doesn't have too many match-ups in his favor. over half of the roster is just an even match for him, he doesn't really counter anybody except for ganon, Falcon(slight counter), and probably one other. he's just for fun
DK now may counter any character that uses an item, his glide toss is insane (goes just over half the length of FD), completely ***** diddy, also peach and rob, not so much on snake because hitting people with the grenades doesnt stun and you cant really keep the grenades with you, however, the fact that his Dair ***** snakes recovery makes up for that

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
bigfoot speaks the truth, DK's glide toss is mad good... its extremely easy to glide toss into a downsmash and kill people. ^^'

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
if its only that then the BR is stupid

character matchups should have something to do with it
well, if you think about it, tournament results are directly related to character matchups. By basing it off of tournament results, you:

1) look at the characters who win the most tournaments, because obviously those characters are in the top/high tier. if not, why would they win so many tournaments?

2) look at character matchups, while focusing on how each character does against the most popular characters. say metaknight is the best character and lucario is the worst character... if DK has a great metaknight game, that will push him up further on the list than say, having a great lucario game. (these characters were not chosen for any real reason, mind you.) This is because he does well against the most popular character. ^^'? get it?

if you look at the results from a very large amount of tournaments, over the course of many a year or year-and-a-half, you get a pretty solid list. =)

Top Bottom