• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If I’m in Elite Smash how good am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Has anyone noticed that after 2.0.0 that it's easier to stay in ES? Prepatch, if I ever got kicked out, even if I quickly bypassed my previous ES level, it would take me forever to get back in. Like, the threshold would be a few hundred thousand higher before I'd even graze the edge again. I got my Wolf kicked out today (by possibly the campiest Fox I've ever laid eyes on), but won just one game in normal quickplay and got right back in. That's never happened before.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Has anyone noticed that after 2.0.0 that it's easier to stay in ES? Prepatch, if I ever got kicked out, even if I quickly bypassed my previous ES level, it would take me forever to get back in. Like, the threshold would be a few hundred thousand higher before I'd even graze the edge again. I got my Wolf kicked out today (by possibly the campiest Fox I've ever laid eyes on), but won just one game in normal quickplay and got right back in. That's never happened before.
Did you actually go back to normal quickplay? I'm pretty sure that you still remain in the elite queue after dropping, even post-2.0, until you exit out to menu. You probably just beat someone with a higher GSP than you.

Last edited:

pollo20x620x6

Smash Cadet
Has anyone discovered if Banland is a thing in Smash Ultimate?
I wonder if that information can be data mined.

Last edited:

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
I haven't reached Elite Smash but I've noticed that my GSP is much more constant since the patch (staying close to 3 million almost all the time).

I've also noticed that I am matched against much higher GSP than before. Often from 3.4 to 3.6 million which is in the Elite Smash range if I'm not mistaken.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Did you actually go back to normal quickplay? I'm pretty sure that you still remain in the elite queue after dropping, even post-2.0, until you exit out to menu. You probably just beat someone with a higher GSP than you.
Yes, I backed out. Wolf's character select icon was no longer lit up for Elite. Played one normal quickplay, backed out again, and he was in Elite again. I actually believe the guy I played in normal quickplay was around the 3-3.1 million range and I was in the high 3.5 million range. It was late at night so I'm assuming the pickings for who gets matched to who was slimmer than it would during the day.

I haven't reached Elite Smash but I've noticed that my GSP is much more constant since the patch (staying close to 3 million almost all the time).

I've also noticed that I am matched against much higher GSP than before. Often from 3.4 to 3.6 million which is in the Elite Smash range if I'm not mistaken.
It's above 3.6 now. When I dropped, I dropped to just below 3.6 and I was kicked out.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Has anyone discovered if Banland is a thing in Smash Ultimate?
I wonder if that information can be data mined.
I had to google what Banland was, but assuming from the little I read it's where formerly banned players can only play against other formerly banned players? I feel like they almost can't implement that. People have gotten bans for when another player disconnects and it ends the game, completely out of their control.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Elite Smash seems to be defined as the upper 3.5th percentile of all rated players. You've gotten a higher GSP than 96.5% of players (or better).

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
The ranking system isn't exactly the best so being in elite smash doesn't mean much

But the online in this game is utter **** anyways so who cares?

Melonsismyusername

Smash Apprentice
Got my ness to 3.5mil, woot

online is **** though, play battle arenas (no gsp cheesers and you can kick laggers) or at locals as it dosent mean anything

Last edited:

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
Elite Smash is as big of a joke as For Glory was in Smash 4. I have an almost 4.2 million GSP and regularly body people in Elite, and it almost feels free sometimes. If you want to know how good you are, play offline against good players who already have proven results with their mains and see if they body you or not, or if they 2-0/3-0 you. Personally, I play 1000X better offline than online, and I have access to some pretty up there people who made my link go from 0 to 100 in 3 weeks.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Elite Smash is as big of a joke as For Glory was in Smash 4. I have an almost 4.2 million GSP and regularly body people in Elite, and it almost feels free sometimes. If you want to know how good you are, play offline against good players who already have proven results with their mains and see if they body you or not, or if they 2-0/3-0 you. Personally, I play 1000X better offline than online, and I have access to some pretty up there people who made my link go from 0 to 100 in 3 weeks.
Everyone knows offline play is a better test of skill. What blows is not everyone has the same access to good players to play against locally.

My region is basically void of good players any more. My local series died off, so it’s either drive for 60-90 minutes each way for a weekly, or play online with players I know are as good or maybe better than them. Elite Smash is a big gamble, but Arenas seem to be much better if you have to practice online.

St0vE

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2509-2650-1844
Switch FC
SW-3121-1921-9823
Congrats, you're good at exploiting lag and a faulty matchmaking system. Do you want a cookie?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Good enough to make you drop characters should you continue to lose.

It's been months since release; when are we getting an official tier list?

St0vE

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2509-2650-1844
Switch FC
SW-3121-1921-9823
Good enough to make you drop characters should you continue to lose.

It's been months since release; when are we getting an official tier list?
Two months worth of tournaments with only two (2) of them being considered S-Tier under PGR's new classification system is not nearly enough time to establish a tier list. It will take even longer than Smash 4 did to formulate a proper tier list as the cast is much larger and balance patches + DLC could change everything.

1FC0

Smash Lord
The people in Elite Smash can be bested with such minor effort that it seems as if they let anyone join Elite Smash nowadays. At this rate it will not be long until Elite Smash's status is reduced to that of a mere participation trophy.

LomasTee

Smash Rookie
Well i think beeing in Elite is something nice. But like with Bowser u have 2 take 1 stock and then side b the sh** out of them

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Well i think beeing in Elite is something nice. But like with Bowser u have 2 take 1 stock and then side b the sh** out of them
That just makes Elite full of trash tactics or worse piles up the 100 to 300k off threshold with nothing but crap. And I didn't buy the Nintendo Heafty Underwear to tread that filth.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Hrmm I can't say myself because I have no local scene. All I know is elite smash players run the gamut between having proper solid gameplans or just using cheese tactivs you can easily bust through.
You can't say "attend locals" if locals don't exist in your area.

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
I don’t think it says anything about how good you are. I got the Wii Fit Trainer in Elite Smash by pure accident because I my opponents stood still and allowed me to knock them off the stage. I am really bad with Snake, but I got him in Elite Smash by brute force. Also, I feel that you get in to easily. I got Kirby and Palutena in Elite Smash in less than 10 battles. Finally, some players love to have items or final smashes on during battles so they could be carried by items. There are some really good players in Elite Smash, but I don’t think it says anything about how good you are. It is how you play Smash that determines whether you are good or not.

MegaJoseph32123

Smash Cadet
My GSP is kimda low overall. I think I know why but it kinda makes me kinda feel bad about my skill. But I know that GSP isn't the best ranking system, so would you say that GSP doesn't really show how good you are?

D

Deleted member

It took me until late last month for me to fix this issue, but really, GSP says nothing about you as a player. It's just there to pair you with people within your number, sometimes people who abuse the preferred rules system to farm GSP to get into Elite or avoid the lag that plagues lower level play.

What does speak about you is your win ratio, in general and with certain characters. If you want to improve your game, it's gonna take SERIOUS dedication and willpower. Whoever you main in Ultimate, do anything to learn about them. I recommend fighting or watching people who play your main and studying their attributes and moveset.

How good or bad you are at the game in general or with certain characters though has nothing to do with Global Smash Power.

Last edited by a moderator:

Felancius

Smash Cadet
I think for the most part that's definitely the case, since most people agree that getting into Elite Smash means absolutely nothing, and that thinking that such is is actually a scrub mindset. Online and Offline are both completely different beasts anyways (pre-planned Arenas might as well be Offline), so being bad online ain't the end of the world. Heck, they nerfed K. Rool, and already bad character, because of his online success alone.

But I suppose it's just the way you perceive it really, as for me, it doesn't mean a thing unless it's like REALLY low, which then means time to change up the game plan.

D

Deleted member

Heck, they nerfed K. Rool, and already bad character, because of his online success alone.
If he's bad and still nerfed, then why do I get trashed by him consistently? And since you said online success, doesn't that undermine the fact that he's bad? Should I pick him up a 3rd time if that's the case?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

If he's bad and still nerfed, then why do I get trashed by him consistently? And since you said online success, doesn't that undermine the fact that he's bad? Should I pick him up a 3rd time if that's the case?
Just because you don't know how to fight him, doesn't mean he's good, it just means you don't know the match-up well, and need to learn it like the people who were getting thrashed by him when the game was new quickly did.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
He's easy to bait just gotta be patient. Heavies and especially kRool love for you to attack blindly or full on. He's weak against Nair juggles also.

D

Deleted member

Here's the real question- does getting Sheik into Elite make you good?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Here's the real question- does getting Sheik into Elite make you good?
At this point if you're able to get anyone past 4 mil and keep them there you're doing something right. But it's still not a fully accurate measure of your actual skill more a measure at how good you are at Quickplay.

1FC0

Smash Lord
At this point if you're able to get anyone past 4 mil and keep them there you're doing something right. But it's still not a fully accurate measure of your actual skill more a measure at how good you are at Quickplay.
If it is not due to skill then what is it due to? Quickplay is not luck-based. And in many cases both players have the same character available. What factor other than skill can cause someone to get good at Quickplay?

TripAway

Smash Cadet
NNID
StrangeTripAway
Switch FC
7969-9375-2382
Hey online smashers. You know if "For Glory Hell" from Smash Wii U its present in Smash Bros Ultimate online or something like that?
For Glory Hell[edit]
While never officially documented nor ever referred to by official sources, players have discovered the existence of a system in place to punish players that have been implicated as a problem through the built-in report system. Dubbed by players as "For Glory Hell", infracted players are intentionally isolated by the system from the normal playerbase, and are only matched up with other players in the For Glory Hell system. When in For Glory Hell, players find themselves having drastically increased finding times for matches, and being only matched up with the same few players over and over, while these other players in For Glory Hell tend to be those whose connection heavily lags, abuse the name tags, play an extremely campy style, and/or grief to whatever degree they can do under For Glory's restrictions. However genuine players have found themselves in For Glory Hell before when they were falsely reported by salty players and griefers exploiting the system, particularly players who win a lot while playing a defensive style or frequently showboat have found themselves in For Glory Hell for this reason. How long players remain in For Glory Hell is unknown, with players usually finding themselves out of it within a week, though it has been observed that players who continue to play on For Glory while infracted have found themselves stuck there for longer periods of time, with it being believed that other players within For Glory Hell report their opponents, keeping players in For Glory Hell stuck there longer as the system continues to think they're a problem player due to the reports they keep receiving.

While the For Glory Hell system is generally considered well-meaning and works to cutdown on the much-maligned misbehaviors of online play, the system has mixed reception among the playerbase. The fact genuine players can find themselves in For Glory Hell through report abuse by ill-meaning players is the biggest criticism, and it's also criticized that players are infracted into the system silently, without ever being notified about it nor even being told how long they're infracted for. It's additionally criticized that Sakurai or any Nintendo representative has never explained the system nor even officially acknowledge its existence.

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I know that if you get low enough on the gsp list, it becomes almost like smash hell. I mentioned in another thread about my cousin's kid playing my Smash game online whenever he would come over. He's young and not very good at it, but I didn't care cause he was having fun. He liked playing as Olimar and lost every match until the gsp got to 5000ish.

Fast forward a few months later and I decide I want to give Olimar a chance. Since the gsp is so low I got stuck matched with other low gsp users who had terrible lag (probably lost a lot of gsp from getting kicked), since there are so few with low gsp I kept getting paired up with the same people (I'd leave the game and wind up with the same person/people), it kept giving me 1vs1 (again probably because it so few low gsp users and it gave up trying, and literally every match was not what I asked for. 1v1, items on high, cheesed items (assists, pokeballs, flags only), stamina 1 stock flags, the list goes on.

So in a way, that was like smash hell. And it was hard to get out because each match I won only gave me a tiny slither. Most times I would win and one of them would ragequit to spite. Again, probably why they have low gsp to begin with. Quitting matches constantly ect. And other times I lost and it took all the gsp I got from 6 or so matches that I did get points for.

As for legit hell. Only time will tell. I hope they don't, but they've disappointed thus far with how they've managed online play.

USAnyan

Smash Cadet
Honestly, for quite a while I was asking the same thing. The report button is back(although thankfully not as in your face, and with a limit). The problem is with getting bad rulesets and players anyways it’s hard to tell.

I remember once when I saw clockwork’s sonic montages and I immediately ran to go play him for the first time ever in ultimate-being a brawl main I naturally knew how to play him. So I destroy QP and after a while I run into one of those Roy’s,and after destroying him... matches took 3-8 minutes just to get a match, I ran into the same lucina 3 times in a row regardless of leaving back to character select each time,and started seeing other people I’ve fought before there too, Isabelles, villagers, spamuses, and those inklings got more and more common, combined with the ridiculous input lag and teabagging. It lead me to think I went to QP hell.

Honestly I’m not against a blacklisted server like FG hell or anything for ultimate(if anything with how much people try to cheese connections amongst other things I almost think it’s necessary) it just needs to not only be moderated, but needs an active message telling you you’ve been sent there and why

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
team matches are my QP hell currently.. i swear i still get matched with people under 2 mil or even 1 mil almost all the time while mine and even both my opponent's GSP are way higher..
i maybe had 1 team match 2 days ago where i had a teammate around my level, i was in heaven for a moment before the game pulled me back in hell again >.>

i mean come on team matches is something the matchmaking just MUST make sure that your teammate is around your level..and if that's to much to ask..then how about they match my opponent with the low GSP guy for once? i do think i deserve that after being stuck with them all the time.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Elite Smash is the new Banland. You supposedly got into Banland for being too good and now you get into Elite Smash for being too good. It is basically the same.

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I heard that you get kicked out of elite if you don't play that fighter for a while. So you could just wait it out and get out of there. Technically that's how smash hell worked to though. I got into there one time, back on Smash4 WiiU. Think it was my first post here back in 2016. Still don't know how I got it to this day because I never did anything bannable. Probably just some kid who was on a report spree.

You also get into Smash hell for being really bad. I had Olimar at 5000ish gsp. My cousin's kid played him and didn't have any concept of what he was doing lol. I wanted to try to get him out after that, but it was really hard. A lot of the low-gsp'ers have incredibly bad lag and input lag. Sort of like how smash hell was full of them because they got reported for that. This time it's just because they were dropped too many times.

And since they often drop (bad connection or rage) I usually don't get any points.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I heard that you get kicked out of elite if you don't play that fighter for a while.
I've had Mii Gunner in Elite since December-ish now, and have never played an elite match with them. I got them in and left it alone because I didn't care about the character. I don't think you can stale out any more.

I noticed right after 2.0 released, if you hadn't played Elite Smash in a while with certain fighters, they will all have the same GSP, which was the threshold GSP to get in at the time.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I've had Mii Gunner in Elite since December-ish now, and have never played an elite match with them. I got them in and left it alone because I didn't care about the character. I don't think you can stale out any more.

I noticed right after 2.0 released, if you hadn't played Elite Smash in a while with certain fighters, they will all have the same GSP, which was the threshold GSP to get in at the time.
I staled out and haven't gotten back in... Yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom