• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If I’m in Elite Smash how good am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConOne

Smash Rookie
Hello,
I’ve just joined and never posted on a gaming forum ever so please be kind!
I was brought up on Nintendo and was the best among my friends at Melee spending many many hours battling in Hyrule Temple. However I haven’t played any game since I owned a GC, until I bought the Switch.
I’ve reached Elite mode with Link and Cloud who’s my main and have had them there since Christmas.
How good are the Elite players? Some Reddit research implies its the top 3.5% but I doubt its that high? Sometimes I do get whipped so thinking I can’t be that good or should I quit my job, enter the nearest tournament and take this on full time?? JK

Thanks friends,
Con One

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
Hello,
I was brought up on Nintendo and was the best among my friends at Melee spending many many hours battling in Hyrule Temple. However I haven’t played any game since I owned a GC, until I bought the Switch.
I’ve reached Elite mode with Link and Cloud who’s my main and have had them there since Christmas.
How good are the Elite players? Some Reddit research implies its the top 3.5% but I doubt its that high? Sometimes I do get whipped so thinking I can’t be that good or should I quit my job, enter the nearest tournament and take this on full time?? JK

Thanks friends,
Con One
It means nothing. If you want to know where you actually stack up go to a nearby local/weekly or travel to a big bracket with a few featured players.

GSP is meaningless and only serves to be a rough matchmaking component for online play, but online play in and of itself varies in meta due to the delay. It's a woefully inaccurate method of determining your true skill level at smash.

Last edited:

ConOne

Smash Rookie
Thanks!
It means nothing. If you want to know where you actually stack up go to a nearby local/weekly or travel to a big bracket with a few featured players.

GSP is meaningless and only serves to be a rough matchmaking component for online play, but online play in and of itself varies in meta due to the delay. It's a woefully inaccurate method of determining your true skill level at smash.

kimohno

Smash Rookie
Do not be discouraged though :) It still means you have a good grasp of the game overall

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Do not be discouraged though :) It still means you have a good grasp of the game overall
Absolutely agree. You have to beat some pretty solid players to get into elite smash territory. There aren’t any awful players hanging around the 3,000,000 gsp area. While it might not mean you are tournament ready just yet, don’t let anyone put you down and tell you it means “literally nothing”, because that simply isn’t true.

popemanz

Smash Apprentice
it means you don't play bad with lag no salt for the most part

popemanz

Smash Apprentice
Don’t imply that everyone experiences lag. Not everyone has the same speeds. Personally, 8/10 of my matches are lagless. But again, thats just me.
no you just don't notice it if zero has it when playing against mew2king you just are not been affected by it

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
no you just don't notice it if zero has it when playing against mew2king you just are not been affected by it
Yeah? I just don’t “notice” complete stoppinh of the game? Again, everyone lives in different areas and has different speeds, so I never said it doesn’t happen.

popemanz

Smash Apprentice
Yeah? I just don’t “notice” complete stoppinh of the game? Again, everyone lives in different areas and has different speeds, so I never said it doesn’t happen.
n o that's not what lag is that's like saying tic-tac's are sugar free because they're to small to count even though all a tic-tac is sugar witch is something that is okay just because it's not making your game look like a slideshow doesn't mean there is none

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
n o that's not what lag is that's like saying tic-tac's are sugar free because they're to small to count even though all a tic-tac is sugar witch is something that is okay just because it's not making your game look like a slideshow doesn't mean there is none
You’re having a really hard time grasping that just because you experience lag, doesn’t mean everyone does, aren’t you? Again, I am super attentive to lag, and I rarely experience it.

popemanz

Smash Apprentice
You’re having a really hard time grasping that just because you experience lag, doesn’t mean everyone does, aren’t you? Again, I am super attentive to lag, and I rarely experience it.
yes you got me your internet is so good that it counteracts the net code that make the game lag no matter how good your internet is and also totally said that everyone's internet is bad what I was saying is that most top players that live within the same town witch typically means it doesn't matter how good your connection is it will have some level of ****ing lag if you read instead of assuming that I am a strawman you would understand this please ignore I am doing that to A little bit

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
yes you got me your internet is so good that it counteracts the net code that make the game lag no matter how good your internet is and also totally said that everyone's internet is bad what I was saying is that most top players that live within the same town witch typically means it doesn't matter how good your connection is it will have some level of ****ing lag if you read instead of assuming that I am a strawman you would understand this please ignore I am doing that to A little bit
Ever consider punctuation? It would make reading your posts a LOT easier.

And imagine thinking all towns have the same connection strength lol.

popemanz

Smash Apprentice
Ever consider punctuation? It would make reading your posts a LOT easier.

And imagine thinking all towns have the same connection strength lol.
no. also what I was trying to say was some one who's job is dependent on the internet would probably have good internet, but he still get's lag from nearby

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
GSP doesn't mean anything.
A good way to see that is to spectate. You'll see a lot of average or even low level player sitting at 2 to 3 million GSP.

That being said, it doesn't mean you're not good but I'm pretty sure you don't need an icon saying "elite smash" to know if you're against a good player or not.
I've seen good players sitting under 1 million, I've seen bad players sitting at almost 3 million.
There's also the fact that a lot of people's goal is only to reach Elite Smash, no matter how. So they'll quit as soon as they lose and they're re match only of they are confident they can be on a win streak and increase their GSP.
I've also seen some people saying that they don't rematch after winning because they're "afraid the opponent adapts to their play style", which, in my opinion, is a pretty good sign for not being a really good player.

So all in all, not all players in Elite Smash are good and not all players at low GSP are bad. It doesn't reflect anyone's skill and should never be a point of focus in my opinion.

Dilan Omer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dildry
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
Hello,

Thanks friends,
Con One
It means you know how to play (competitively) the game. Not that ur good or anything

Last edited:

Dilan Omer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dildry
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
Also Offline and Online Smash are two entirely different ****ing things

I win online mostly by spamming smashes cuz of the input lag.

Though the higher GSP you are the better player you are. Because the better player can deal even with lag by just playing the neutral game better. Hence why top players are at a top for a reason. So GSP isnt entirely meaningless. Just not a good way to learn the game (locals is better)

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
It means you’re good at playing whatever your preferred game mode is. Whether that’s ffa items, 1v1 no items, teams, etc. You're good at something.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Nah, being elite doesn't say nothing, go to local tournaments instead.
Seeing as this is the Online Forum recommending going to a tournament is incorrect, though I understand the sentiment.

If you're in Elite Smash you're Good at Quickplay. Anything else is lip service.

SunnyD-Pad

Smash Rookie
Seeing as this is the Online Forum recommending going to a tournament is incorrect, though I understand the sentiment.

If you're in Elite Smash you're Good at Quickplay. Anything else is lip service.
Well yeah, he's good at quickplay but playing on places like Anther's Ladder is a better place to get better at the game without going to local tournaments.

ConOne

Smash Rookie
Well yeah, he's good at quickplay but playing on places like Anther's Ladder is a better place to get better at the game without going to local tournaments.
What’s Anther’s Ladder?

It means you’re good at playing whatever your preferred game mode is. Whether that’s ffa items, 1v1 no items, teams, etc. You're good at something.
Yeah fair although the only preference I have set up is stock. I enjoy the online play and don’t find the lag too bad. I can see a lot of people hating on it. I don’t there’s many “local” tournaments here in Ireland maybe I’d have to go to England.

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
What’s Anther’s Ladder?
It's a matchmaking website for Smash where you can find people near your area to play with the least possible lag.
There's a ranking system to keep track of your progress and how good you're doing compared to others.
You can also play friendlies.

Haven't tried it yet but this is something I want to take a look into.

ConOne

Smash Rookie
It's a matchmaking website for Smash where you can find people near your area to play with the least possible lag.
There's a ranking system to keep track of your progress and how good you're doing compared to others.
You can also play friendlies.

Haven't tried it yet but this is something I want to take a look into.
Sounds cool I’ll check it out!

pollo20x620x6

Smash Cadet
For the past couple days, I keep running into the same players. Its nowhere near as bad as For Glory Hell on Wii U. Its still a diverse range of players and finding a match doesnt take forever. But at the same time, the game has been out for bit, so if children are abusing the report system, by now, there would be enough people in the purgatory server.
I just played the same DDD, Zelda, and Luigi from yesterday. What are the odds? That's some For Glory Hell shenanigans.

Last edited:

R208

Smash Cadet
Higher Elite contains a fraction of the playerbase, and a smaller fraction will be playing at the same time as you. Thus, it's far more likely to be matched against the same people from time to time.

D

Deleted member 189823

Higher Elite contains a fraction of the playerbase, and a smaller fraction will be playing at the same time as you. Thus, it's far more likely to be matched against the same people from time to time.
What GSP is higher Elite.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
The game tries to match you up via location proximity, GSP, and preferred rules as a priority. Assuming there are probably only a few people matchmaking at any given time in Elite that meet all those requirements. If they can't find you a suitable Elite match they'll match you with a non-elite player, versus matching you with an elite player located halfway across the world from you where you'll both have an unsatisfactory connection. Also, the post-release hype is dying down a bit. There are less people in the higher GSP range online every day than there were a month ago. May make some sense of your situation.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
I fail to see how to see this is an issue as running inTo the same players over and over happens in other fighting games too.the only difference is you don't need to make it into a elite rank to face better players.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I’m gonna disagree here and say that reaching elite means you’re a good player (unless you cheesed your way their with stupid rulesets). I mean it’s literally the top 3% of people playing competively online. Yes it’s different than locals but I’m sure you can step into locals and with a little practice you’d be fairly successful. That said I’ve seen really really good players with 500,000 GSP and terrible players with 2.5 million GSP for example so it’s not a perfect system. Be proud of yourself though, it’s an accomplishment. Also don’t worry about how good you are and just focus on improving

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Awesome suggestion! I'm gonna sticky this. If anyone else goes there I'd love to hear how it compares to brawl days. I got destroyed early on but it made me so much better to actually play people that go in deep

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
It could mean you kept replaying the same, worse player and farm gsp. It means nothing
This is sadly something that's happening a lot...more than often, players will rematch if they win but leave as soon as they lose one match.
That's the reason why I hate GSP. People are focusing more on the number next to their character than on actually improving and having fun.

ConOne

Smash Rookie
I’m gonna disagree here and say that reaching elite means you’re a good player (unless you cheesed your way their with stupid rulesets). I mean it’s literally the top 3% of people playing competively online. Yes it’s different than locals but I’m sure you can step into locals and with a little practice you’d be fairly successful. That said I’ve seen really really good players with 500,000 GSP and terrible players with 2.5 million GSP for example so it’s not a perfect system. Be proud of yourself though, it’s an accomplishment. Also don’t worry about how good you are and just focus on improving
Cheers mate, when you say the top 3% is that figure known to be correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom