• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I'd Telegraph That!" - Little Mac Video Thread

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
sorry, double post, but i feel like this is a pretty important video to post:

@earla 's mac vs mario GF:

showcases the mac vs mario matchup really well. what earl does is very smart, and even though he gets gimped a bunch of times, he plays the matchup amazingly and shows what mac can do even when he gets gimped at low percents in a 2-stock scenario.
Those upbs. How does he time them so well?

Solreth

Smash Apprentice
very entertaining to watch some of those matches. i really liked how you mixed up your recovery, you got back to stage pretty much every time. i thought you were kinda risky with mac's up b and side though. usually the up b follow up isn't worth it unless you can kill with it because it does not do a lot of damage. but pretty solid none the less though

Id generally agree with your assessment, and no worries I can handle a bit of criticism. Thank you for your kind words as well!

Solreth

Smash Apprentice
slick movement @ Solreth Solreth . i liked that dashdancing and dancetrotting mixing, and the creative movement options in general. genuinely surprised at the utilt>KO. i don't know how to do that ledge jump KO punch; i've tried to lab it, i can't get it. like zodiac was saying, i disliked the huge commitment upBs, but you were landing them more often than not and you did really well despite it so i can't really say anything. that was inspiring. great showing for mac, man. keep that up.

It was an absolute pleasure and of course I understand your point of view. I like to have a bit of fun with it, and those have always been the most rewarding when they kick off correctly. No excuses on my end though and im just glad you enjoyed the video!

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
Earl's movement is sexy, that's the only thing that I dunno how to do. Is there a video on how to do that by any chance?
didn't realize he was ppivoting so much when i watched it the first time. if that's what you're talking about, here's one of the better tutorials:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It's not completely weak. You can use it to KO people who are at percents they shouldn't get to if you're playing as Little Mac. :p

The air version still does 13% and has deceptive range, so even without a KO behind it, it's not useless.

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
thenotsoshyguy's mac vs sheik:

my thoughts:
that sheik wasn't very good, so idk if there's much to learn from these matches. that's not to take anything away from tnssg, as he capitalized really well against the not-optimized play from the sheik. also tnssg's spacing was tight -- i replayed that spacing on sheik's ledge get-up attack at least twice.

thenotsoshyguy's mac vs bwett's c.falcon/mac:

my thoughts:
bwett got tricked. that first c.falcon match should've really been how the second/third match went, but tnssg got in his head with that second match. that powershield>turnaround ko punch was pretty hype, and i should note that wouldn't have hit if mac didn't take the step forward from the patch. tnssg had this dtilt>backstep pivot fsmash that was pretty cute in the 3rd match, and he just played really smart while still having fun. can't complain on the 2nd ko punish either, although tnssg really could've whiffed hard and ate it but i guess he knew bwett used his second jump and wasn't going to airdodge into the ground. great show. i wish i could watch tnssg's match vs. trela, or any of his other ones after he got knocked into losers.

Cookie Boy

Smash Rookie
That was some really good Mac play, and it was sorta satisfying to see a Sheik get bodied even if they weren't that good.

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
@ deepseadiva deepseadiva i mean, i've posted vids of mac getting bodied by sheik before -- it's a state-of-the-metagame thing. granted, spooky looks like he scrubbed it up in this match, but that understates poyo's skill in shutting him down.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiCOc7CcI8Q gonna put this here. on that last section, at about 7:41, the little mac player missed an opportunity when he down tilted and got the ko punch, he could have comboed into it for the game. overall though, he played well against a good mario.

Laitome

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-0929-1203

Here's one of my matches from Smash LL about a week back against a yoshi/ike player, enjoy.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Here's one of my matches from Smash LL about a week back against a yoshi/ike player, enjoy.
I never wanted to part from Jolt Haymaker because it was a useful offensive tool for me in certain mixups, but after watching this, I find it essential to buff my recovery options at its expense. (It's not like I should depend on it for offense).

Those were some great, entertaining matches!

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130

What is that side B? The shield-breaking one? Sorry I haven't unlocked customs

TakeYourHeart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
solemnpancake

Very elegant gameplay from you. It seems that Mac might benefit from customs a bit more then I first thought.

If they don't restore the regular Side-B to it's pre-1.0.4 aerial mobility, I may have to hunt this custom down and stick to it (even then, the ability to super armor out of being gimped might balance out improved recovery).

Laitome

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-0929-1203
What is that side B? The shield-breaking one? Sorry I haven't unlocked customs
Yep it is. It's slow as hell but has super armor after the 12th frame. Just be careful not to use it out of hit-stun.

Very elegant gameplay from you. It seems that Mac might benefit from customs a bit more then I first thought.

If they don't restore the regular Side-B to it's pre-1.0.4 aerial mobility, I may have to hunt this custom down and stick to it (even then, the ability to super armor out of being gimped might balance out improved recovery).
It's worth it in my opinion, makes the last stretch of mac's recovery ungimpable and it goes higher.

Here's the match against D Disciple that led to my elimination leaving me tied for 13th.

Fun Fact: We actually played alot of friendlies together at Combo Breaker so he actually knows some of my play-style but onto the match. Three major mistakes cost me three stocks

First game: I expected Lucario not Sonic so I was in a bit of a panic that first match. The commentators are right that I should've used counter but my mentality was so broken that match, it probably wouldn't have worked. It also shows some of the downsides of guard breaker. One that the first twelve frames do not have super armor. Second, using it out of hit-stun is suicide.

Second game: I was much calmer and telling the commentators why I lost my last stock first game seemed to bring me back. First stock: I blanked out, I admit I forgot what I was doing for a sec. I DI'd towards the ends of the stage to survive then I forgot the start falling back towards the stage, another stupid mistake. Second stock: I whiff the f-tilt and D throws out an f-smash, just a good play on his part. At this point I realized that homing attack can't be hit by our counter but it can be punished on shield by dash attack, something that helps the matchup. Third Stock: Another stupid mistake cause the tournament was the first time I used customs competitively. Yeah guard breaker doesn't give you momentum after the move another shortcoming of the custom.

Overall, there was no way I was going to beat D but I felt I could've taken that second match if I didn't screw up my recovery twice.

Since I forgot earlier here's the other matches also featuring little mac's

Last edited:

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman

awesome gameplay man. i was genuinely surprised at 1:56 when sideB3 ate the entire dair and hit yoshi. i've been gimped out of that move on startup, but you look really comfortable with it. keep it up!

EDIT: that match against DDisciple was tough. i find sonic really annoying difficult if he's spinning all over the place, and DDisciple was mixing it up really well. good tip on the dash punish after shielding the homing attack -- i wonder if jcusmash would work as well. anyway good show dude. in all your matches i didn't really see you use dance trotting, which imo is one of mac's best movement options, but you're getting results without it so i mean what do i know? lol. maybe it'll push you to the next level though.

Last edited:

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
tonsana mac vs. rob LF sweden:

mac loses GF against zss. good showing against rob in tourney. he made a couple big mistakes using the sideB3 custom while still in hitstun (which kills your momentum and makes you fall straight down/SD). i would've liked to see more gyro play from mac, and i always like to see more dance trotting, but overall, he did well against a good rob, who can sometimes be a tough matchup.

leso mac vs. tlink winner's semis:

this guy dance trots a lot and shows off some smart tech, which i like. he didn't do so hot in his other sets, but he still plays well and this one shows how mac can play against projectile heavy campers characters. don't like that he didn't ban kj64, as it's a terrible stage for mac, but i guess he used his bans on something else. i'm okay with t&c for game 3 but i hate the music ugh. he saved his 2nd jump a lot, which i liked as well. even had some airgame, which was nice. overall, even though he lost, i think it was a good show. this match just shows that mac really is a character where, at a high level of competition, you can't make any mistakes.

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
just a quick video i put on YouTube that i thought i would share.

the Wario player is dare2dream

Last edited:

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
@ sirchadakiss18 sirchadakiss18 is there significantly more frame advantage off of jab 2 hit confirm? i see you doing a lot of jab 2>x, y, or z option, which is sexy, but is a lot harder to do than, say, dtilt>xyz, or jab 1>xyz. anyway i really liked that first stock on the first video, with the jab 2>running crossup pivot fsmash. that was inspiring. and i always like seeing that dance trotting, even though here they didn't really net you anything. still smart play, man. i'm going to try to implement the jab 2, but i want to know if there's more frame advantage off of jab 2 than jab 1 on hit confirm.

sirchadakiss18

Smash Journeyman
@ sirchadakiss18 sirchadakiss18 is there significantly more frame advantage off of jab 2 hit confirm? i see you doing a lot of jab 2>x, y, or z option, which is sexy, but is a lot harder to do than, say, dtilt>xyz, or jab 1>xyz. anyway i really liked that first stock on the first video, with the jab 2>running crossup pivot fsmash. that was inspiring. and i always like seeing that dance trotting, even though here they didn't really net you anything. still smart play, man. i'm going to try to implement the jab 2, but i want to know if there's more frame advantage off of jab 2 than jab 1 on hit confirm.

The thing on Jab 2 is that it nets a really good pop up (quick non-delayed hits) on your opponent thus allowing you to follow up on anything from there forth (low-mid percents of course). People like to mash buttons in that situation and plus Jab 2 has less cool down than jab 1, so you can really transition from jab
2 to Utilt or Dtilt or Ftilt or Up B. Sorry didn't give you a clearer explanation on stream yesterday meyne

Last edited:

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
The thing on Jab 2 is that it nets a really good pop up (quick non-delayed hits) on your opponent thus allowing you to follow up on anything from there forth (low-mid percents of course). People like to mash buttons in that situation and plus Jab 2 has less cool down than jab 1, so you can really transition from jab
2 to Utilt or Dtilt or Ftilt or Up B. Sorry didn't give you a clearer explanation on stream yesterday meyne
np man, your explanation on stream was good, but posted here everyone can learn a little. good to know. i've been trying it out on fg and that jab2>dtilt>jcupB is a pretty legit kill setup.

TakeYourHeart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
solemnpancake
my Mac Montage is finally finished, Enjoy!

Very nice montage. Really captures the whole inspirational spirit of the Rocky movies.

Only criticism I really have is that you occasionally use that slowdown effect a little too often, though it does create a very cool visual effect combined with Smash's visuals (particularly the smoke trails with knockback) and the color tones you put on the video.

FarsiX

Smash Rookie
Love your montage Japan. Little Mac is such a great character, I've mained him for the past 2 weeks and I've had so much fun with it. I actually made a little troll montage of my own about it for the lulz.

If you guys could tell me what you think that'd be awesome. :)

Top Bottom