• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I'd Telegraph That!" - Little Mac Video Thread

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
Can't used "eye of the TIger" for the song, it's copyrighted stuff so I was thinking about sending the MP4 file via email to people personally
hmm... i mean i would add you on facebook, but i think that'd be a little weird. haha. there are other video sharing websites that don't get bothered by copyright infringement like youtube -- for example: dailymotion, veoh, metacafe etc.

idk if smashboards has a 'preferred' site for this kind of thing, but i think any of those would work better than sending the mp4 file via e-mail or adding a whole bunch of smashboards strangers to your facebook account lol.

sirchadakiss18

Smash Journeyman
hmm... i mean i would add you on facebook, but i think that'd be a little weird. haha. there are other video sharing websites that don't get bothered by copyright infringement like youtube -- for example: dailymotion, veoh, metacafe etc.

idk if smashboards has a 'preferred' site for this kind of thing, but i think any of those would work better than sending the mp4 file via e-mail or adding a whole bunch of smashboards strangers to your facebook account lol.
you could add me , I dont mind, I have a bunch of Smashers on there, It's "Chad Brown"

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
In Lab testing, just some ideas, trying out some combos /follow ups, trying to Unlock Mac's potential even more!!

If you're not going to cut it up to leave the most useful stuff, I'm not going to bother watching it.

In the meantime, here's this--

sirchadakiss18

Smash Journeyman
If you're not going to cut it up to leave the most useful stuff, I'm not going to bother watching it.

In the meantime, here's this--

lol you dont have to watch it, lol and @ Solreth Solreth told me about this, i mastered it, forgot to put a vid out on it, been busy tbh, they can be so close to the ledge and it still hits, I love this. so sneaky and dirty lmao

Solreth

Smash Apprentice
@thereflexwonder Im glad you and sirchada are making use of my tech ^_^. The last one looks more optimal, im glad you like it, and thank you for the shoutout regarding my creation of that ko punch option from ledge, sirchada. Im quite proud of it.

On that note, its featured in my new Montage video! Enjoy (you have special thanks at the end for showing me the ledge cancelled Jab buffer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTZWa-toKaI

Last edited:

Solreth

Smash Apprentice
As an additional note though, you dont have to drop from ledge at all. You can simply use jump from ledge as long as you time it within a very tight frame window.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Well, right--They're different things. Doing a ledge drop -> double-jump makes it significantly easier, but it's also slower, more vulnerable, and only seems to work on Battlefield and Smashville. Your Ledge Jump version of it is obviously better.

Last edited:

Solreth

Smash Apprentice
I think they each have risks of their own. By the way, if I wanted to spread my montage, where are all the acceptable places on smash boards to do so? Is this the only reasonable thread?

Solreth

Smash Apprentice
You could make a thread here--

http://smashboards.com/forums/wii-u-3ds-videos-livestreams-and-other-media.513/

And I would say it could be fitting in the Character Impressions Thread under the guise of "Check it out--Mac's doing work" or something similar--

http://smashboards.com/threads/character-competitive-impressions.367669/
Thanks for the awesome advice. I made a mistake in the credits at the end. So I have to re-upload sadly. after that Ill post it in those forums. Thanks again!

Solreth

Smash Apprentice
I saw that one. I liked it a lot. My only issue was the lack of variety, and the demand of poor di and refusal to jump for most of the lock sequences. That said it had really sick ledge punishes and some great mixups. I dig it.

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
the only thing I liked was his Nair from a ledge jump. Never thought of that
that was the only thing you liked? i think this is a good showing for mac's current meta in tourney. he does a little dancetrotting, pivot smashes, (no real perfect pivot utilt, but that's not always necessary), aerial 'continuations' on hit confirm, upB finishers following airdodge reads, recovery mixups and saving second jumps etc. maybe not the 'flashiest' mac (i think nairo takes that), but tourney-wise i think this is great.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I don't understand why people get all excited about a Mac using aerials. They have high knockback growth and N-Air is the fastest aerial in the game.

Espy's a very smart player, of course.

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand why people get all excited about a Mac using aerials. They have high knockback growth and N-Air is the fastest aerial in the game.

Espy's a very smart player, of course.
it's because i don't know how to use mac's aerials properly in more competitive-type games. lol. there's no tutorial on mac aerials. the fact that espy can/does use them in tourney with some success shows real examples about how go about using them.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Why do you need a tutorial to understand how to use moves that literally every character has? Just experiment with them and uses should become obvious, just like every other character.

Also, being able to land them on opponents doesn't mean that that is the best option you have available at that moment.

Last edited:

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
that was the only thing you liked? i think this is a good showing for mac's current meta in tourney. he does a little dancetrotting, pivot smashes, (no real perfect pivot utilt, but that's not always necessary), aerial 'continuations' on hit confirm, upB finishers following airdodge reads, recovery mixups and saving second jumps etc. maybe not the 'flashiest' mac (i think nairo takes that), but tourney-wise i think this is great.

Being flashy against big time opponents gets you killed.

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
Why do you need a tutorial to understand how to use moves that literally every character has? Just experiment with them and uses should become obvious, just like every other character.

Also, being able to land them on opponents doesn't mean that that is the best option you have available at that moment.
i get what you're saying reflex, but i respectfully disagree with the idea of not needing an example. (or if 'needing' is too strong a word, perhaps 'having an example that helps demonstrate the usefulness of mac's aerial game' is a better substitute)

mac plays very different from every other character, and to play him successfully i've had to unlearn other character staples like SHFFLing and sometimes even jumping, in general. i think that mac's aerials, with their terrible range, kb, landing lag, and generally little reward on hit, put them squarely in the box of 'situational' moves, and having examples of real situations where to pursue the aerials (instead of, say, waiting grounded for an upsmash punish) is helpful to say the least.

and now, reading renegade's post about how espy going in the air got him killed, it also shows that there is a lot to say about optimization of using his aerials. collectively as a mac forum we can advance the meta by finding out what works, without every mac having to spend lots of time (money?) experimenting and coming up with the same thing. in other words, we can raise the 'mac aerial bar' to a certain level and then start experimenting from there to further advance the meta.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
N-Air is the fastest aerial in the game in terms of when it's active and when the animation is over. This makes it solid for disruption and is often super-safe to use as insurance after a ledge jump. If you shorthop immediate N-Air and someone shields it, every character but Mewtwo will miss an immediate shieldgrab, so that could give you time to punish with Up-B, Forward-B, or a landing into something quick.

F-Air sends people forward at a sharp angle; depending on percents and opponents' weight/fall speed, you can get frame advantage even if it doesn't put them into tumble. It can cause people to airdodge, where you can then autocancel into a punish. At high percents it can legitimately be used for edgeguarding.

B-Air is effectively the same move as F-Air but with a hitbox that hits lower (but not significantly so).

U-Air is fast and doesn't send people far, but you have to move backward after landing a hit at low-ish percents or you'll get punished for it. People often get overzealous and it lets you bait swings into your own punish. It also keeps them more-or-less in place for longer, so they panic. It also eats double-jumps from time to time. Not bad if people don't DI away on stray D-Tilts, since you'd rather not stale Up-B before KO percents if you can help it.

D-Air's autocancel window isn't terribly late, so you can use it to protect yourself a bit when falling to the stage. It also lasts for four frames, which isn't bad. It can be used for edgeguards in a pinch against opponents with very high percents who are recovering low, and it's often confusing to an opponent to be hit by shorthop immediate D-Air, so it's not terrible as a risky disruption for a KO Punch or something similar.

Done. There's your metagame.

Last edited:

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
N-Air is the fastest aerial in the game in terms of when it's active and when the animation is over. This makes it solid for disruption and is often super-safe to use as insurance after a ledge jump. If you shorthop immediate N-Air and someone shields it, every character but Mewtwo will miss an immediate shieldgrab, so that could give you time to punish with Up-B, Forward-B, or a landing into something quick.

F-Air sends people forward at a sharp angle; depending on percents and opponents' weight/fall speed, you can get frame advantage even if it doesn't put them into tumble. It can cause people to airdodge, where you can then autocancel into a punish. At high percents it can legitimately be used for edgeguarding.

B-Air is effectively the same move as F-Air but with a hitbox that hits lower (but not significantly so).

U-Air is fast and doesn't send people far, but you have to move backward after landing a hit at low-ish percents or you'll get punished for it. People often get overzealous and it lets you bait swings into your own punish. It also keeps them more-or-less in place for longer, so they panic. It also eats double-jumps from time to time. Not bad if people don't DI away on stray D-Tilts, since you'd rather not stale Up-B before KO percents if you can help it.

D-Air's autocancel window isn't terribly late, so you can use it to protect yourself a bit when falling to the stage. It also lasts for four frames, which isn't bad. It can be used for edgeguards in a pinch against opponents with very high percents who are recovering low, and it's often confusing to an opponent to be hit by shorthop immediate D-Air, so it's not terrible as a risky disruption for a KO Punch or something similar.

Done. There's your metagame.
see? that wasn't so bad, was it? lol. thanks man. i'm going to quote this in the moveset thread so the info doesn't get lost.

Solreth

Smash Apprentice
I don't really like his opposition here. He's dropping a lot of frames and not exercising some solid movement options, but he is accurate and thoughtful. The mac player seems fine, but the falcon player looks downright slow and is exercising a lot of bad options. (Recovering Up-B directly onto stage, landing in front of mac etc). Cool match overall, but nothing mind blowing.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
@ TheReflexWonder TheReflexWonder @ sirchadakiss18 sirchadakiss18 @ Venks Venks @ Solreth Solreth

do you guys have more current tourney vids uploaded somewhere? it's frustratingly hard to find good mac tourney matches (that aren't 3-4 months old).
Not the best quality video, but here's the Winner Finals set from one of the recent tournaments I went to. I play against this player on an almost weekly basis so I might do a few things that look odd, but it's more than likely I'm trying to make a hard read.

Top Bottom