• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers Infinite In PM

Iceman

Smash Apprentice
What Nana and Popo are are the King and Queen of Chaingrabs, to take that away is to take away the appeal of the character.

What needs to be done is PM brings ICs chaingrabs back, (Wobbling included) but make them so that their soul and sole purpose doesn't HAVE to be to get the grab. Look at Zelda, you can run a trap based Zelda, or a Farore's Wind based Zelda, or go in between. That is how I believe they should do it.
I don't think they should bring back wobbling because they took it out for a good reason. They are fixing the IC's grabs in the next patch, so the melee chaingrabs will be easier. I support the existence and use of infinites, especially if they are Project M originals. So for the most part I agree with DarkStarStorm(kind of a long name, you should just call yourself DSS in person)

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
I don't think they should bring back wobbling because they took it out for a good reason. They are fixing the IC's grabs in the next patch, so the melee chaingrabs will be easier. I support the existence and use of infinites, especially if they are Project M originals. So for the most part I agree with DarkStarStorm(kind of a long name, you should just call yourself DSS in person)
The Wobble was very situational, I would be happy if they did that.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
The Wobble was very situational, I would be happy if they put it in. As for the name, DS is what I use, otherwise it sounds like I dissing you.

cmart

Smash Lord
But for the sake of making the game of Brawl similar to Melee, will you bring back the wobble if people want it badly enough?
At this point, we're not really concerned with "the game of Brawl". We care about Project M and its future. Towards that end, wobbling is something that we will not be bringing back, melee or not.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
At this point, we're not really concerned with "the game of Brawl". We care about Project M and its future. Towards that end, wobbling is something that we will not be bringing back, melee or not.
Could you maybe put in a semi-wobble, one that only does like 20% before letting them go?

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
You can handoff/chaingrab for more percent than that. You need to give up on Wobbling. It will not exist in this game.
It's not really the Wobble I'm after, it's the deep sigh of the opposing player as they set down their remote as soon as I grab them, or the desperate button mashing as they try to hopelessly escape my grab. After my tourney is over, I'll spend more time learning the character, for now, I'll bow out of this forum.
Farewell

GeZ

Smash Lord
It's not really the Wobble I'm after, it's the deep sigh of the opposing player as they set down their remote as soon as I grab them, or the desperate button mashing as they try to hopelessly escape my grab. After my tourney is over, I'll spend more time learning the character, for now, I'll bow out of this forum.
Farewell
But that's not what happens. They try to DI out of it, or find something to tech on. Either way, their is nothing that'll force a player to resignedly set down the controller, and looking for that is really lame.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
But that's not what happens. They try to DI out of it, or find something to tech on. Either way, their is nothing that'll force a player to resignedly set down the controller, and looking for that is really lame.
You know, when I see in my alerts that someone has quoted me, it makes me feel good, as if someone agrees with what I think. But telling me that the fact that I go after the IC because I think that they're awesome is lame: that's just mean. There are other ways to say the same thing that aren't mean or insulting. You guys take what is a friendly discussion between smashers into a, "I make you feel worse so I can look better," affair. Now, after my tournament is over, I'll come back here, and I can spend more time learning the character.

Bye

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Well, I'll give my opinion about this.

I'm really not against wobbling in melee because Ice climbers would suck on the competitive scene without it (ICs don't tend to go far on wobbling banned tourneys, for example)

PM is a different story though, Ics received enough buffs to be able to compete with all the others melee top tiers and the new buffed and/or adapted characters, an infinite involving grabs is not really nescessary when the character has many other new things that would make watching a match involving an Ics player a lot more fun and interesting.

GeZ

Smash Lord
You know, when I see in my alerts that someone has quoted me, it makes me feel good, as if someone agrees with what I think. But telling me that the fact that I go after the IC because I think that they're awesome is lame: that's just mean. There are other ways to say the same thing that aren't mean or insulting. You guys take what is a friendly discussion between smashers into a, "I make you feel worse so I can look better," affair. Now, after my tournament is over, I'll come back here, and I can spend more time learning the character.

Bye
I think you misread my post. I never said that your thinking they're awesome is lame, I said that looking for an aspect of the game that lets you remove your opponents interaction with it is lame, as it changes the game from a competition to a kind of technical flex for you. Nobody is trying to make anybody else feel worse for the sake of it, I was just submitting that wanting something that makes your opponent "sigh and put down their controller" as you said, is a crappy want. I never want the people I play with to feel that way because it's jank for them, and an overall discouraging experience.

Friendship is Manly

Smash Rookie
I personally like the balancing and seeing the Nerf-bat being taken to 0-death combos like that. The 0-deaths are I feel just to negative to the game and its game-play. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see them phasing most of the moves like this out.

| Big D |

Smash Master
I think telling anyone that looking for new things in PM is lame... is lame.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I've got a personal bias against taking involvement away from my opponent. I'd rather play the game with them, than flex in front of them. But that's just me and my crazy liking the competitive aspect of the game thing. Cause I'm such a crackpot.

JUGGERNAUT043

Smash Apprentice
The PMBR has removed anything like this from the game based on the principle of things of this nature detracting from a character. No matter the drawbacks or risks, I think they'll stand against it due to it's similarity to wobbles/ brawl chains, as they made sure those tech's were not included. I don't understand why people are so expectant for this to go unchanged, or say **** like "it's wobbles 2.0".It doesn't merit special treatment just because it's the P:M brand IC Cheese Wiz.
if only they were as adamant on " It doesn't merit special treatment" or" this nature detracting from a character. No matter the drawbacks or risks" with characters like say the STAR FOX team lol but im dreaming right? yeah thought so *cough* cause <insert because melee BS argument and reasoning---> here * cough*, i dont mind change to somone like the IC LONG as they remain effective and capable, weve seen a series of going over board with Nerfs and buffs do to crying wars and theory crafted claims every other update for long enough lol

JUGGERNAUT043

Smash Apprentice
if only they were as adamant on " It doesn't merit special treatment" or" this nature detracting from a character. No matter the drawbacks or risks" with characters like say the STAR FOX team lol but im dreaming right? yeah thought so *cough* cause <insert because melee BS argument and reasoning---> here * cough*, i dont mind change to somone like the IC LONG as they remain effective and capable, weve seen a series of going over board with Nerfs and buffs do to crying wars and theory crafted claims every other update for long enough lol
ha sorry kinda my D**k moment lol i hate character untouchables like spacie and others bleeds over sometimes lol

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I'm not a dedicated ICs main and I didn't know what wobbling was until I saw EVO 2013 with Wobbles. I thought that it was cool at first when I saw it, but then I start seeing it over and over and over again. I did some research on it saying that it is an infinite that while it is hard to master, it can guarantee a kill at 0 if done correctly. I started to not like the idea of a character having an infinite being done on any character on any position of the stage.

Now with ICs in Project M with no Wobbling/Brawl hand offs, The ICs got some buffs on the Nana AI department who is now more capable of getting back on the stage and can still do Melee chaingrabs that can do a good amount of damage. I see this and I gotta say that I don't think that it belongs when ICs are solid enough. I say this for multiple reasons.

1. It eliminates interaction with your opponent which is what Wobbling/Brawl Handoffs did. I prefer outplaying the opponent than using an polarizing tech that your opponent has zero control over. This isn't Marvel.

2. It's a situational move that leaves the ICs in a very bad position. It's never a good idea for the ICs to be near the ledge because it poses the greatest chance for them to be separated which is easily their biggest weakness. If an Infinite leaves them in a mostly bad situation, then why leave it in?

The ICs have a strong grab game with the de-synchronizations. Just leaving something like this tech in isn't really necessary for the ICs and it does more harm than good given the position that they have to be in so that it can possibly work. Anyways, that's two cents, 50 cents, or my dollar and some change.

:applejack:

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
i will say that i dislike that nana uthrows immediately. (unless near the edge ofcourse) they did fix the dthrow bug and what not but it is still insanely precise on getting that handoff, just for her to throw the opp away immediately. knowing that from an opp standpoint allows them to plan their next move. what i find i like the most in smash (all games) is the unpredictability. opp know if nana gets her hands on them they will be thrown up immediately. why is nana synced to you regardless of where she is (jumping off the stage just to die in order to "save" you) but when she gets her hands on an opp, you lose all sync with her. idk i just feel there should be a time frame for how long you can do something with them synced for grabs still.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
Melee chaingrabs

not sure ive found any successful "melee" chaingrabs other than one handoff or one dthrow to dair if your lucky. nothing in succession can work. unless i justsuck at PM timing compared to brawl melee. i would love some videos to show me if this is the case.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
"Welp time to pick up P:M for the first time ever! Always wanted to try Melee Climbers. I wonder how their metagame is being developed?"
*see this thread* "Oh.."
Good **** finding that Dawson, it takes a lot of skill to break a game. :D

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
"Welp time to pick up P:M for the first time ever! Always wanted to try Melee Climbers. I wonder how their metagame is being developed?"
*see this thread* "Oh.."
Good **** finding that Dawson, it takes a lot of skill to break a game. :D
It takes even more skill to do the opposite, hold R on the CSS, pick ICs, and then watch the magic that is Solo Popo

kingsharkboi

Smash Rookie
Now with ICs in Project M with no Wobbling/Brawl hand offs, The ICs got some buffs on the Nana AI department who is now more capable of getting back on the stage and can still do Melee chaingrabs that can do a good amount of damage. I see this and I gotta say that I don't think that it belongs when ICs are solid enough. I say this for multiple reasons.

1. It eliminates interaction with your opponent which is what Wobbling/Brawl Handoffs did. I prefer outplaying the opponent than using an polarizing tech that your opponent has zero control over. This isn't Marvel.

2. It's a situational move that leaves the ICs in a very bad position. It's never a good idea for the ICs to be near the ledge because it poses the greatest chance for them to be separated which is easily their biggest weakness. If an Infinite leaves them in a mostly bad situation, then why leave it in?

The ICs have a strong grab game with the de-synchronizations. Just leaving something like this tech in isn't really necessary for the ICs and it does more harm than good given the position that they have to be in so that it can possibly work. Anyways, that's two cents, 50 cents, or my dollar and some change.

Your 2nd reason is actually more on the side of keeping infinites in from what I can tell. When people complain about infinites it usually involves the combo being cheap and OP, but giving IC's sympathy points because 'going for it is risky' kinda makes it seem OK to leave it in (as it ensures their game won't devolve into one thing). Otherwise, I agree that IC's have enough buffs in PM that I'd be fine with their metagame evolving around fancy stuff like Desynchs, teamwork, and temporary grab combos. Infinites aren't the end of the world though

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
When I picked up PM ICs and couldn't do the braindead easy Melee chains or Brawl handoffs, I was annoyed. But I think that's just laziness; why waste two characters on any dumb, interactionless infinites? I'm re-encouraged to try messing with fancy desynchs, especially with the subtle buffs I'm hearing about (but didn't notice during my attempt to chainthrow).

GeZ

Smash Lord
So I just installed 3.02.

I'd just like to confirm the infinite still works.
Does it seem like the risk is worth the reward to try and consistently set it up? And does it function consistently across the tournament legal stages?

The silly glitch I figured out is still in, but barring suddenly being incredible at execution, seems really unlikely to be useful. Plus no one really tries it out for themselves.

Last edited:

Iceman

Smash Apprentice
Does it seem like the risk is worth the reward to try and consistently set it up? And does it function consistently across the tournament legal stages?

The silly glitch I figured out is still in, but barring suddenly being incredible at execution, seems really unlikely to be useful. Plus no one really tries it out for themselves.
I am literally in love with you profile pic!!!!! The only pairing that matters in that show. Also I'm going to have to try the infinite. How do you set it up?

| Big D |

Smash Master
It depends on how good you are at performing the infinite. If you aren't good it's probably not worth it, otherwise by all means go for it. Personally I'd use as a punish and I happen to get a grab in that situation but I wouldn't fish for it.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Funny how I can wait on the other side throwing projectiles with Mario and Link instead of just being an idiot to try and hit them near the edge.

GeZ

Smash Lord
But does it seem like something that could be fished for? I'm worried about the effects of an infinite on IC's meta. Infinites in general tend to truncate the meta they inhabit in all fighting games.

ShineSmashShine

Smash Rookie
I really don't see the problem with 0 hp kills. In a typical fighting games competitive scene an opener will net you AT LEAST 1/4 of the opponents life... Considering the standard for smash is 4 stock this seems perfectly appropriate.

Top Bottom