• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers Infinite In PM

GeZ

Smash Lord
I really don't see the problem with 0 hp kills. In a typical fighting games competitive scene an opener will net you AT LEAST 1/4 of the opponents life... Considering the standard for smash is 4 stock this seems perfectly appropriate.
Because that model is ****ing dumb. It should net that much with a reset but fighting games that involve 1/4 life combo's every day for free are dumb.

D

Deleted member

The best thing about Smash is it's character diversity. In Melee, I've always seen the Ice Climbers somewhat as a 'Glass Cannon'. Very powerful moves and techniques yet very weak and easy to destroy.
I think they sound be that way in P:M rather than just being yet another gimmicky character like 80% of the cast.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShineSmashShine

Smash Rookie
I like it quite a bit. Perhaps it all comes down to personal preference, but I like really tech-y games.. Huge combos are really fun and impressive. I've notice that this version of the game really diminished the combo potential for most characters, and I find that quite disheartening. A lot of the 'pro' matches I watch (and my own matches amongst my friends) just end up being a game of 'pot shots' and random smashes to end it.

I don't wanna DI and poke all day.. I wanna get in there and do some fun stuff.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I like it quite a bit. Perhaps it all comes down to personal preference, but I like really tech-y games.. Huge combos are really fun and impressive. I've notice that this version of the game really diminished the combo potential for most characters, and I find that quite disheartening. A lot of the 'pro' matches I watch (and my own matches amongst my friends) just end up being a game of 'pot shots' and random smashes to end it.

I don't wanna DI and poke all day.. I wanna get in there and do some fun stuff.
Well then you're watching the wrong matches? This game is all about rushdown, tech chase, and combos. I don't know what you're playing.

ShineSmashShine

Smash Rookie
Oh come on, don't be so condescending. You gotta admit when you're comparing this game to melee and even brawl a lot of the time you can clearly see the diminished combo potential. And by rushdown do you me shield pressure? Anyways the combos just aren't what they used to be.. Now it's like 50% life maybe, if you get a really good one off.... But most characters just end up pot shotting and any 'combo' that happens ends up being (as you said) a tech chase combo, which isn't truly a combo imo... It's really more just keeping your momentum and advantage.

Again I think it's personal preference... It sounds like you guys want this game to be street fighter 4 and I want this to be a high paced 2d fighter like BlazBlue or Guilty Gear.

*Edit* you only joined this site last year... Maybe you weren't around for melee? If you were you would def. know what I'm saying here.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
I wasn't on Smashboards until recently but I've always played smash. Melee combos at the highest level may have seemed longer, but that's because their were about 7 top characters that got used in incredible excess because they were just better than the rest of the cast. I'm sorry if I sounded condescending, but I'm actually of the view that with P:M's more beginner friendly inputs and tech, it opens the combo game up to many more players. I don't quite agree that tech chase combos aren't true combos since if executed right have the same effect.

One other thing that not a lot of people think about is that the Project M metagame is very larval in its current state. You have very few superstar players compared to melee, and the metagame hasn't had a very long time to develop. Better players on these forums consistently say when all the players in P:M start to rise the punishment game will rise with them and more resemble what you're talking about. If you watch Strong Bad's DK, he confirms kills off of most hits. Straw Hat tears people apart with Falcon once he gets his approach. Armada zero to deaths a lot of players with his Pit.

I think what you're seeing is the development of the meta in its relatively early phases, which is why the game seems less combo heavy than Melee, except in a few specific instances. But that is a byproduct of itself rather than the game being less combo oriented. Especially with that "take a potshot and back off" thing. I know exactly what you're talking about, and I see it happen too often, even at a high level, which is just a show of how a lot of players are getting by an understanding of meta and playing their opponent rather than knowing the right tools for the right situation.

Also, out of curiosity, how do you have 20 posts after being here for 8 years?

Iceman

Smash Apprentice
Oh come on, don't be so condescending. You gotta admit when you're comparing this game to melee and even brawl a lot of the time you can clearly see the diminished combo potential. And by rushdown do you me shield pressure? Anyways the combos just aren't what they used to be.. Now it's like 50% life maybe, if you get a really good one off.... But most characters just end up pot shotting and any 'combo' that happens ends up being (as you said) a tech chase combo, which isn't truly a combo imo... It's really more just keeping your momentum and advantage.

Again I think it's personal preference... It sounds like you guys want this game to be street fighter 4 and I want this to be a high paced 2d fighter like BlazBlue or Guilty Gear.

*Edit* you only joined this site last year... Maybe you weren't around for melee? If you were you would def. know what I'm saying here.
I'm sorry but are you in right section of Smashboards? I seems like you have been watching a completely different game. Armada himself has said that combos are easy in this game.

Last edited:

ShineSmashShine

Smash Rookie
Oh, well since this whole conversation stemmed from this thread I don't see why we can't continue talking about it here.

In any case I hope you're right and we see this game evolve into something amazing. Combo's may be easy but they're still not what they used to be, although perhaps we just need more time to develop them as was said by GeZ.

And about the 20 posts.. Well i've been creeping around these forums since the early days of melee, but I guess I just haven't had much to say... and with the onset of brawl I lost all motivation to take the game seriously (i mean lets be honest.. Nintendo clearly went to great length to make the game much less competetive) and stopped visiting. PM has brought me back, though, and so far I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it. The site is and has always been 'the' source for smash info and community and I spoke with people I met on these boards around where I live quite a bit through private messages as well.

Last edited:

ShineSmashShine

Smash Rookie
More on topic I want to see the punish game go up, not down, so I'm totally cool with IC having an infinite. I'd like to see more chain grab potential.. It shouldn't necessarily be for free, should be some tech and DI prediction involved perhaps, but it should still be doable.

Celestis

Smash Ace
I like the infinite IC's grabs. I was so confused when Nana would throw all by herself when I played, but I guess its appart of trying to remove the chains.

I kinda wish they would bring back Hand-offs. Only cause it looks cooler then wobbling.

D

Deleted member

I like the infinite IC's grabs. I was so confused when Nana would throw all by herself when I played, but I guess its appart of trying to remove the chains.

I kinda wish they would bring back Hand-offs. Only cause it looks cooler then wobbling.
Hand-Offs are still in the game.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
The chain grab Infinite is basically a D-Throw then Nana Dash grabs and B-throw and Popo F-throw and repeat shout outs to Brawl Ice Climbers Chain Grab I guess

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
Really confuses me when I see people complaining about Icies having 0-deaths. As an Icies main in Melee, I can safely say that having them is pretty cheap, but it's part of the game. As is waveshining and other pieces of tech. And tbh, people should stop complaining and just learn to adapt to them. And without 0-death chains, what do the Icies REALLY have? In PM? Very little.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Really confuses me when I see people complaining about Icies having 0-deaths. As an Icies main in Melee, I can safely say that having them is pretty cheap, but it's part of the game. As is waveshining and other pieces of tech. And tbh, people should stop complaining and just learn to adapt to them. And without 0-death chains, what do the Icies REALLY have? In PM? Very little.
It's non interactive zero to death, which is what the dev team has been striving to remove for the most part, which is why waveshining doesn't work like it did in melee :v

They're actually not trying to bring back all of melee's jank.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Ice climbers actually seem good in PM, maybe there is something innacurate to melee that people hate, or something I don't notice because I don't play much PM IC's.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
AFAIK fumbles is the only person who's done it to a person in a tournament match...ask him lol. I can't set it up for the life of me and my opponents mash out when I do get the set-up because I have to make nana walk forward to space the bthrow regrab.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
AFAIK fumbles is the only person who's done it to a person in a tournament match...ask him lol. I can't set it up for the life of me and my opponents mash out when I do get the set-up because I have to make nana walk forward to space the bthrow regrab.
Watching that match makes me question why ice climbers are seen as "terrible" in Project M.

Last edited:

iggyboy456

Smash Rookie
How easy is this stuff? This is the second or third video of this. Doesn't seem nearly as hard anymore.
Hey, i'm the poster of that video. I can make a written or video tutorial of how to do that chaingrab, it's actually pretty simple once you get the timings down.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
do that on a legal stage and go across the middle of the stage. I want to see the nana hand offs that way. we all know she Fthrows from a set distance from the ledge.

iggyboy456

Smash Rookie
do that on a legal stage and go across the middle of the stage. I want to see the nana hand offs that way. we all know she Fthrows from a set distance from the ledge.
I can do that. This can be done from pretty much anywhere on the stage, I wasn't close enough to the edge for nana to auto fthrow.

Last edited:

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
Seems to me like some aspects of Brawl chaingrabs may be returning. This looks a LOT like the Brawl Icies fthrow chaingrab, and I know for a fact my friend who's a Wario main found a CG with Wario on floaties similar to Wario's buffered dthrow CG from Brawl. This could be an overlooked quality by the PMDT, but I think more research will need to be done into this, as well as bringing in second opinions of actual Brawl Icies mains like Vinnie and Nakat.

iggyboy456

Smash Rookie
I made a video of me doing the chaingrab on the middle of Pokemon Stadium 2. I can't post it properly due to restrictions on this account (don't post much) apologies for the broken up link, if someone else could reply to this with the link formatted correctly, that would be nice. h t t p : / / b i t . l y / 1 B R A 8 f f

Zujx

Smash Apprentice

iggyboy456

Smash Rookie
GIVE ME FLOATY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
This actually took me longer than I expected to get. I could do a few grabs, but once they get to a high percent, the timing of floaties (I used Kirby here) gets ridiculously tight. Here it is though, link still has to be broken up because rules or something

http :// bit . ly / 1xY2AYG

Zujx

Smash Apprentice

iggyboy456

Smash Rookie
I'm going to start working on a tutorial for this. I'll drop a link in this thread when it's finished.

CSTL!?

Smash Cadet
@ iggyboy456 iggyboy456 Is this the frame perfect regrab or is this the one where you have to hold up or down with Nana to stop her from throwing?

Top Bottom