• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers forum project: A private ice climbers wiki; 1st purge done.

Prawn

Smash Master
Not going to happen.
oh no now I'll have to wait an entire extra week to get information. Also don't use that elitist tone like you're some special ICs player

Contribute via matchup discussion
I don't have a lot of info in the way of matchups aside from like, Snake Oli Marth

LOL! Prawn.

You better Rep IC when I'm gone, I'm leaving my Power Ranked spot open for you!
Yeah im tryin, i finally started taking stuff seriously

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
My post had a tone? News to me, lulz. I don't think I'm some special ICs player at all, I was just directly responding to your question. If anything at all, I was thinking, "Did he even -read- the OP? That kind of stuff is what we're trying to avoid." Also, lol @ detecting tone over the internet.

Don't respond with indignance when you're not "some special ICs player" yourself. Especially to someone who is simply answering your question.

r3d d09

Smash Master
Both of you. WTF? And prawn. It's okay. Matchups are matchups. Once I play _X_ more. I will contribute to the sonic. But he won't even play a match against me xD I need a bracket with him in order to get exp. >.>

Prawn

Smash Master
My post had a tone? News to me, lulz. I don't think I'm some special ICs player at all, I was just directly responding to your question. If anything at all, I was thinking, "Did he even -read- the OP? That kind of stuff is what we're trying to avoid." Also, lol @ detecting tone over the internet.

Don't respond with indignance when you're not "some special ICs player" yourself. Especially to someone who is simply answering your question.
alright whatever, the way you said it seemed like you were being a douchebag when you are essentially a nobody like me.

thats the exact reason this wiki idea is awful, the only active posters that we could consider "top" ics mains are hylian and swordguard.

swordgard

Smash Hero
alright whatever, the way you said it seemed like you were being a douchebag when you are essentially a nobody like me.

thats the exact reason this wiki idea is awful, the only active posters that we could consider "top" ics mains are hylian and swordguard.
We dont need top ics mains >.> Getting ONLY top ics main would be doing the exact opposite of what im trying to do.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Well I unno about you guys, but I think Smoom is a legit top IC.

He places well in one of the toughest states consistently.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Indeed, but I just want people who are willing to contribute, either by sharing info or by helping organizing the wiki and the future schedule.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Yeah dudez, if you don't wanna contribute, you aren't forced too. It just helps things move along more quickly and efficiently so the IC community can become better.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Keep in mind that you can know your **** about a game/character without being a 'top player', and not all 'pros' are perfect in every aspect either, especially matchups. Fox Is Openly Deceptive is a great example of this. (He pretty much invented the TL metagame, yet I 3stock him on a regular basis.)

The majority of contributors being amateurs doesn't (necessarily) take from the validity of this in the slightest. :)

Aglow

Smash Journeyman
Yeah dudez, if you don't wanna contribute, you aren't forced too. It just helps things move along more quickly and efficiently so the IC community can become better.
Am I not mistaken in thinking that you do, in fact, have to contribute to take part of this (hence a "private" wiki)?

Something about this seems off. I'm attending tournaments with as much frequency as possible, playing as many PR players in Florida as I can, but I won't pretend I have some amazing secret to contribute. In this case, exclusiveness seems like a step in the opposite direction of progress.

Who you are and how well you place is irrelevant, its all about advancing our metagame.
This seems off as well. There are walls and walls of text on Ice Climbers theory here on the boards, an impressive compilation of data. It’s not being used by ¾ of the members. It’s apparent in the videos posted and the questions asked. I’m sure this point will be argued, but I feel like what we need here (the boards) is a surge of activity related to playing, not theory crafting. I know there are a lot of skilled people here, but I feel as if the competitive element has lost its way for many IC mains.

I think it would become the boards to encourage more tourney attendance and practice. This could be accomplished by maintaining a more active and diverse video thread (I.e. one including day-to-day matches and losses), and actually giving a **** when an IC main places well at a tourney. I appreciate what Smoom is doing with the new thread, and I encourage anyone and everyone to get some footage up. Even terrible, daft footage. It is that sort of thing which will enable all of us to work together to advance the metagame.

I recognize that I am not functioning by my own standards. FL is having a big tourney in Gainsville this weekend, and I am going to do my best to get videos up of as many matches as possible, including the ones where I get face-*****. I look forward to your constructive criticism and input

All of this being said, I want it to be known that I appreciate your motive here swordgard & everyone else involved. I wish you the best of luck however this turns out. If I find that I have something to contribute, I will do so.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
The majority of contributors being amateurs doesn't (necessarily) take from the validity of this in the slightest. :)
It doesn't make it invalid, it just makes it hard ford someone who doesn't usually come by these boards not to take the message completely seriously.

I mean, If I was to write an article on something and Meep writes an article on the exact same thing, who would you naturally read first?

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
It doesn't make it invalid, it just makes it hard ford someone who doesn't usually come by these boards not to take the message completely seriously.

I mean, If I was to write an article on something and Meep writes an article on the exact same thing, who would you naturally read first?
meep because he probably has more experience with the climbers and has shown his competence with the character in the past.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
The "people who don't usually come by" aren't going to be seeing this, though. :p

I'm sure we can all trust that we each have our own firsthand experience to contribute in certain areas of this character. It's not only top players that know -anything- about playing, after all, nor do they know everything. It's about combining all our knowledge in what ways we can so we can improve as a group.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Am I not mistaken in thinking that you do, in fact, have to contribute to take part of this (hence a "private" wiki)?

Something about this seems off. I'm attending tournaments with as much frequency as possible, playing as many PR players in Florida as I can, but I won't pretend I have some amazing secret to contribute. In this case, exclusiveness seems like a step in the opposite direction of progress.

Actually its quite the opposite. Because you have to try and do research to be in it, then this makes the metagame evolve faster. I see a lot of people simply not trying to improve the boards, this forces them to improve the info we have. As e_alert pointed out, your not forced to contribute, you can choose not to. You just won't have access to the wiki. Those marvelous wall of texts are actually not that helpful considering many are outdate because most people don't want to provide new info and spend the time contributing, or even researching at all. If you say the old method was great, nothing's stopping you from Starting to contribute to this forum. Now notice the problem with last sentence, and you will understand why I'm doing this. Our boards are disorganized, lack a lot of info, don't provide any incentive to post or update info.

As stated, if you have info about strategies, techniques and so on you can contribute. Matchup knowledge helps too. As long as you contribute, then you can be in. Leeching dealt this board alot of damage, and I intend to try to fix it. The point of the wiki is not to cut off non-pros or anything of the like(especially since a lot of top players don't know that much more), its actually to give an incentive to most people to share info. Me and cheese for example were both first to add in techniques in it that are not on the boards as an act of good faith in the wiki, because someone has to start for the wiki to be succesfull. E_alert is already working on some data, I asked a couple of things from frozen and we'l see how it turns out. Seems to me like the initiative is working.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
You would be absolutely amazed at the stuff you can come up with just by fiddling around, talking to people, looking at things other characters do, etc. I found a pretty revolutionary tech (which is what swordgard mentioned I posted) because someone did the tech with a different character, and asked me what I thought it was. I played around with it until I figured it out. I know every single one of you has done something at some point and said "what was that?". Find out what THAT was, see how to use it. Worst case scenario is we found it already, and we'll inform you, and if you ask, probably tell you more about it, and similar things. Trust me when I tell you we are far from elitist, we just don't like giving all of our secrets away and still having to learn all sorts of new stuff ourselves to stay fresh. Ask anyone that I talk to regularly on AIM, I let slip tons of my stuff, and a lot of the time, one of them will play with it, and come back with something I hadn't thought of. Hell, a lot of the time I'll see something someone posted that's old, and think of some new way to apply it, or some way to change it up, etc. Think on your feet. Brawl, and especially the ICs, aren't a linear game where you learn your approach and spacing options, and then some set combos that follow up each option. Brawl is not A->B, we can go from A->C, F->B, or any combination in between, and we can do it with two characters at once. Even something as simple as nair desynching which had been known forever can lead to a new application, like what Smoom posted recently. Red's brought up some stuff that's usually old, but sometimes even simply hearing it again makes me think about it, and I'll come up with something. Talk to people, talk to people who play OTHER characters especially. That's a great way to get some new info to introduce to the boards.

swordgard

Smash Hero

From personal experience? Not meeps.

Prawn

Smash Master
then you guys need to get better taking information out of lain's and meep's posts, or just TALK to them.

I've learned 100x more useful stuff from them then anyone else on here.

r3d d09

Smash Master
info from he pro's

Lain: doesn't post

Meep: pivot grab EVERYTHING

Am I right?

Doublepost. Itouch ***** me :(

If I was on comp. I'd copy and paste the bottom comment here.

r3d d09

Smash Master
Also the whole wiki thing is to bring us closer. If we are close. We are more willing to help eachother.

Like cheese said. If older stuff comes up. He will tell me but also if come up with different ways to apply it. With how things are going. We have more active members. We will evolve. But WE have to work together or we will not progress as fast as we could.

Everyone thinks the "private" wiki will hold us back. SG and I talked about an hour of what we could do to have an organized place for the info while new stuff getting added and keeping people from just leeching.

Just think of it as private trackers or for those who don't know what that is. A private site for torrents.

You are asked to keep a certain ratio. Or you lose your membership. Some o as far as you have to upload new stuff before being able to download.

Those trackers are someone the eat trackers on the Internet. It gets fresh stuff as well as pleasing everyone else that just wants to get their ratio up.

Don't be a leecher. It's alright sometimes but seed as much as you possibly can. And when you find a new something. Upload it. Everyone will be pleased.

Tl:dr

just contriute to the wiki and stop arguing about how it won't work. Trust me and the others. It will

Teh Future

Smash Master
This seems off as well. There are walls and walls of text on Ice Climbers theory here on the boards, an impressive compilation of data. It’s not being used by ¾ of the members. It’s apparent in the videos posted and the questions asked. I’m sure this point will be argued, but I feel like what we need here (the boards) is a surge of activity related to playing, not theory crafting. I know there are a lot of skilled people here, but I feel as if the competitive element has lost its way for many IC mains.
this cat knows whats up.

swordgard

Smash Hero
then you guys need to get better taking information out of lain's and meep's posts, or just TALK to them.

I've learned 100x more useful stuff from them then anyone else on here.
Not really actually, I haven't learned much if anything talking to meep and lain. Actually, you know what, go ask M2K about the matchup vs diddy, and come back and tell me pro=knowledgeable.

Also, in case you guys havent noticed, 2 ics placed exactly the same as lain at pound 4, cheese was one of those. Move on, this is no longer "ask meep/lain", this is our initiative.

Prawn

Smash Master
ok have your wiki lol. it really doesnt effect me so its w/e.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Soo...I forgot the link to this >_<.

Prawn

Smash Master
yes swordgard lain's one mediocre placing defiantly outweighs everything else he has ever done >_<

idk just seems a little elitist is all. I'd understand a semi-difficult to find compilation of information so that we aren't just revealing everything we do, but seriously when just 5 or 6 of you guys talk about a bunch of **** i dont think its gonna get us anywhere. and making a selection process to be in the wiki is kind of lol. especially when its based on how much time you can spend on the internet and not your competence and results with the character

but then again its not going to effect me whatsoever so it doesn't matter.

tl;dr i dont care how well you can theorycraft im only impressed when people put it into action(this isnt directed towards everyone, there are several posters on here that place well)

swordgard

Smash Hero
yes swordgard lain's one mediocre placing defiantly outweighs everything else he has ever done >_<

idk just seems a little elitist is all. I'd understand a semi-difficult to find compilation of information so that we aren't just revealing everything we do, but seriously when just 5 or 6 of you guys talk about a bunch of **** i dont think its gonna get us anywhere. and making a selection process to be in the wiki is kind of lol. especially when its based on how much time you can spend on the internet and not your competence and results with the character

but then again its not going to effect me whatsoever so it doesn't matter.

tl;dr i dont care how well you can theorycraft im only impressed when people put it into action(this isnt directed towards everyone, there are several posters on here that place well)
A pro that doesnt give insight is useless to its community. I don't require of anyone to be on 100% of the time, just to help from time to time. Also I am very open on who can join, as long as you want to contribute and are willing to put some of your time into it im fine with it. This is way more open than it is closed. The private part is just to give incentive.

Prawn

Smash Master
A pro that doesnt give insight is useless to its community. I don't require of anyone to be on 100% of the time, just to help from time to time. Also I am very open on who can join, as long as you want to contribute and are willing to put some of your time into it im fine with it. This is way more open than it is closed. The private part is just to give incentive.
making it closed just makes people feel important

aka cheese calling himself one of the top 3 ice climbers in the US, when his ICs arent even the best in NY/NJ >_< (not saying im better just saying)

Top Bottom