• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I write for my friends" - the growing Ike guide by Kirk and Empy. Updating again!

Betaz

Smash Ace
Daaaammmnnn~
Seriously good job with the guide, Empy and Kirk, props to the both of you,
also...I am wondering how Training mode can be of use in any way so I'll be waiting for that update.

also I lol'ed at the new title XD

Kirk

Smash Champion
Thanks for the praise :D

We are currently still editing/changing some things.

But please feel free to leave your ideas about anything. Any ideas you might have can be a big help to edit or add to the guide. In the mean time we shall be workin on the current changes.

*goes back to work*

comboking

Smash Master
you guys are dissing me on my thread yet this is just commonsense to me I just want to help with ikes metagame. Metroid and I are doing a kill percent thing for Ike if you want the info I have some of it

t6hanks for a guide

Shirum

Smash Cadet
Comboking, it is not so much what you know as how you lay it down. I can't speak for your ability, but your guide, at least, is deficient and contributes little.

As for kill percentages, I think they could gather those easily. Kirk, one of the contributors to this guide, already made a video with all of them.

Thank you for not unleashing drama upon us in response to ama(m/t)'s ever-present snide remarks, though.

xxvic1ousxx

Smash Cadet
One thing that I've noticed that I hadn't seen mentioned is using Ike's dtilt as a way to edgegaurd/ meteor smash opponents. I found this out messing around with Ike against my roommates Toon Link. I've tested this against other characters (CPUs: Marth, Lucario, Kirby and Sonic.) as well, and found that when effectively used it can be a devistating way to easily kill at low damages. Downside is that due to the game's auto-ledge grab from long distances, this can be difficult to time. On top of that, the setup is easily noticed by oppenents... a crouching Ike waiting at ledge.

Betaz

Smash Ace
Dtilt (down tilt)

14% degrade to 6%

5/10; not really useful, besides killing n00bs that either jump towards the edge stupidly or hang on the edge too long.That being said, it does meteor which leaves it for mindgames. Mostly, just crouch and use it way too early. It will remind the other player of that option, and they might even think you're actually going to try it. Might have some use when you hit below an opponent’s shield but that’s very situational. Don't use it too much besides shield stabbing.
10ikes d-tilt spiking

The Crotch

Smash Cadet
To expand on what was said above, I find d-tilt is most effective when done on a stage with a bottom through which the enemy can recover, as you don't have to worry about nasty things like the enemy grabbing a ledge when he's just coming straight up through the platform itself. Works on levels like the Halberd (while moving), Skyworld (when the bottom platform's busted), and Mute City (while moving). This mainly comes into play on Mute City, as that is where you are most likely to see an opponent come up through the bottom; however, the opportunity will occasionally present itself on non-banned-in-every-single-tournament-EVAH! stages.

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
Allrighty, first off all, Kirk has joined me. As some of you know Kirk was thinking about writing a (new) guide himself, but with the 2 of us together we can be far more efficient. He has sent me 4 pretty long replies covering all parts of the guide. And I've currently updated by adding information from 3 of them. I'm working on the last one now so it should be done anytime soon.

Those two can gimp each other pretty easily. I think it is a bit easier for Ike with his Aether if GDorf goes for the spike near the edge...

As for the dash attack info....why am I not learning these on the Ganondorf boards? *goes off to bug Sliq*
Well Aether has some more mindgame options imo. You can try to mindgame with Ganon only on his side b, but because Ike can edgeguard outside it's range it's not that scary. Besides that it's all pretty straightforward.

Anyway main thing I'm trying to get through is people not going "I'm Ike I'm gonna get gimped" and then not gimp an opponent who you're great at gimping at.

And the dash attack is something I've noticed when I was expecting a wizard foot and trying to catch it with the end of utilt, but the dash came early and I hit Ganon right out of it.

hey it got stickied hurray!!!

at least its one step to making the ike boards better but from the looks of it more people come in here to hurt rather than help out what rly sucks its people who don't even main ike replying to the stupid threads. lower tier characters have better discussion threads than us
Well let's just ignore some of the posts flying around. Sane replies are always welcome here. ;)

Sweet guide, Empy. We should do some games again sometime, see if my Ganon can get hammered again, heh.
You should check out the balance tournament in the Europe regional section, I'm going there.

What the Fox matchup thread says about Ike:

And don't forget that you can CG using the blocks on Green Greens.
Thanks, will try to include that soon. And true about those blocks.

Comboking, it is not so much what you know as how you lay it down. I can't speak for your ability, but your guide, at least, is deficient and contributes little.

As for kill percentages, I think they could gather those easily. Kirk, one of the contributors to this guide, already made a video with all of them.

Thank you for not unleashing drama upon us in response to ama(m/t)'s ever-present snide remarks, though.
True, kill percentages are mostly different per stage and character though. So often you see people try them on Mario and FD. It's also depending on your opponents DI, so the information given can't really be reliable during a match. On top, if anyone starts using a certain move because they think it kills easily, it will degrade. So I'm not too sure about adding KO %. Will think about it though.

Also, indeed good you just ignored that.

One thing that I've noticed that I hadn't seen mentioned is using Ike's dtilt as a way to edgegaurd/ meteor smash opponents. I found this out messing around with Ike against my roommates Toon Link. I've tested this against other characters (CPUs: Marth, Lucario, Kirby and Sonic.) as well, and found that when effectively used it can be a devistating way to easily kill at low damages. Downside is that due to the game's auto-ledge grab from long distances, this can be difficult to time. On top of that, the setup is easily noticed by oppenents... a crouching Ike waiting at ledge.
I know the main problem isn't even how predictable it is rather then that opponents have to double jump into it. People knowing about the spike can pretty easily sweetspot to avoid it, with most characters. It's also been used often in the very early metagame, so I think a lot of people know. Anyway, seeing how many people are asking for it, I'll update it into the guide, with advice to be cautious.

ikes d-tilt spiking
See above.

@The Crotch

I'm not sure when an opponent goes through the stage trying to grab the ledge? Do you mean trying to hit your rather than grabbing the ledge or..?

Kirk

Smash Champion
On the subject of KO percents, they are never accurate...due to factors like character weight, opponent DI, where on the stage they are, etc.

It's debatable whether to include them, though it can be a nice reference comparing his moves in terms of knockback and such. And as Shirum already pointed out, I made a video of these, though it was a LONG time ago, pre-US release. Maybe an update is in order?

I'll see if I can PM you some more stuff today Empy xD

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone else had a devil of a time with Jungle Japes? For some reason that stage seems designed to kill Ike.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Ok, one thing I really don't understand-forgive me, I stopped reading mid-guide after seeing the same issue arise a couple times in the forums.

You do not have to crouch to d-tilt. <_< Learn to apply slight pressure-it's the same principle as a forward tilt. You can still see it coming a mile away, but I find the crouching better reserved for mindgames and forcing them to drop in order to sweetspot-perhaps allowing you to edge hog or drop and chase to a ledge cancelled aether spike. I wouldn't count on it, though...*edit* alternatively, you could always run off and attempt a bair for a stage spike. Just be careful, because we all know how susceptible ike is to gimping. Always try to keep your opponent guessing, and you'll have a much better character, no matter who you use. :) It's simply more effective with ike, 'cuz when you screw up...ike can screw you up.

I'm sure this is all common knowledge, but I just don't like it when people think they have to crouch first and tip their hand.

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
This can be useful in some stages where you can't actually grab onto the ledge such as The Summit or Distant Planet (only has one ledge that can easily be intercepted). I also wanted to point out that there's only the 2sec invincibility frame. If they're foolish enough to still hang on.

I also wanted to compliment Empy and Kirk for the impressive guide. Finally a compilation of Ike knowledge that is easy for the public to attain.

The Crotch

Smash Cadet
@The Crotch

I'm not sure when an opponent goes through the stage trying to grab the ledge? Do you mean trying to hit your rather than grabbing the ledge or..?
No, I mean when an opponent just flat-out goes through the bottom of the stage while trying to recover. No ledges involved. Like I said, it's most commonly seen on Mute City where the road will toss foes up through the main platform. Dunno if it matters enough to be mentioned in a guide, but it's definitely a fun thing to do.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Hope you're not being too sarcastic. <_<

In my critique and theory, yes...I'm decent.

I struggle at implementing my own ideas into my gameplay, though. =/ Online makes it tough. Oh, and why can you usecustom images for your sig, but I can't? Shenanigans...

Guilhe

Smash Ace
There is one thing I would like to add to this guide

When in the counter stance, Ike can counter even when struck from behind. I know most of you have already realized this, but this is a very important point to remember when playing matched with 3 or 4 combatants. When you’re engaging an opponent, the other players not involved tend to think your are too busy or concentrated to pay attention to what they are doing and try to “surprise” attack you. Very often I find Luigis trying to spin attack or charging their missiles at me when I turn my back on them, but hopefully, my counter has never let me down.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Now that I think about it, there are a few things that people on this board desperately need to learn, if they haven't already. These aren't necessarily character specific, but I'm simply aiming to help out a bit...

1) learn to SDI as well as DI, because it will save Ike from a lot of unnecessary pain.
2) learn to reverse grab well (the fake wavedash) so you can scare the crap out of people when they WERE ten feet from the ledge...but you just slid over to it with them in your grasp. surprise! aether spike/ledgeguard//whatever. I've found it to be an ok mindgame/situational tactic.
3) please, dear god, learn to do more than upsmash and upb out of shield. <_< Since your neutral a autocancels, you can do a retreating nair to punish any rollers, then land ready to attack/defend any advances. bair is also a good option, but a retreating fair can get you punished on the landing lag if not fullhopped *obvious fullhop is obvious*.

Hope this helps out a bit, somewhat...I just figure that since this is the Ike guide, this is the spot to put it. :)

SSBbo

Smash Journeyman
I figure you're good at brawl, and i know you took time writing that but...

YOU'RE WRONG!
there are a few tricks that help me with Ike:
1.(Most important) SIDESTEP: Imagine your opponent is an autolance (common subspace enemy). As you know, the problem with Ike is his speed, so cheap attacks (ex: holding a with metaknight, pits arrows, etc.) are very damaging.
Back on the subject of autolances. we've all had to fight them, and it's really annoying until you learn to sidestep, atack, sidestep, attack and so on. you're going to have to do that with most fast opponents.

2. FORWARD+B: you may seem like a n00b, because of it, but you need to use this attack often. It takes some skill to master this, though.
I usually get to the edge of the course as soon as the game begins and charge it up. the only defenses against this are: grapping the edge and pressing b or squeezing in behind Ike. Luckily, with your attack charged, you can escape these defenses if you can see them coming.

This is also a good defense for cheap attacks. most people block with their sheild, but with Ike, it's not always best. block with this attack if needed. it can be very helpful. For example: say pit is attacking with his bow and arrows. hit pit's arrow after he fires it. sidestep behind him and charge a smash attack (forward+A is my fav). this type of thing happens often, using the forward+B to block an attack, then sidestepping to attack your opponent.

3. ATTACKING AFTER GETTING LAUNCHED: happens to me all the time. someone launches me and continues to do it. the two moves that are good for this: eruption and aether.

Eruption: after getting lauched, if launched high, charge eruption (standard b). when you're above your opponent, with a little space inbetween you, let go. As ike plunges his sword downwards, you're enemy's only defense is to sidestep, which usually does no good because as soon as they're vulnarable again, the shockwave of fire gets them. if they sidestep twice,they're far enough away to grab some items or hit them with your forward+b attack.

Aether: use this when you're launched short heights.
of course you could just down+a or use sheild, but sometimes those aren't effective.

4. DOWN+B: we all know Ike's slow, but this is attck that can combat any other attack, if you can see it coming.

5. CLOSE RANGE: as i told you before, sidestepping is key. but so is dodging. if you can do bothe of these well, then stay in close range, because his attacks are short ranged, but strong.

6. EXPECTING THE EXPECTED: contradictory to nuber five, another technique is to wait for opponents to come for you, and charge your attacks. with skillful opponents, it isn't always good, but every now-and-then, it helps.

7. STAY ON THE GROUND: i am not fond of his arials, so i suggest to stay on the ground.

8: PRACTICE: last step. train, practice, try. it takes a short while to master ike.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
WRONG huh?

YOU'RE WRONG!
1.(Most important) SIDESTEP: Imagine your opponent is an autolance (common subspace enemy). As you know, the problem with Ike is his speed, so cheap attacks (ex: holding a with metaknight, pits arrows, etc.) are very damaging.
Back on the subject of autolances. we've all had to fight them, and it's really annoying until you learn to sidestep, atack, sidestep, attack and so on. you're going to have to do that with most fast opponents.

2. FORWARD+B: you may seem like a n00b, because of it, but you need to use this attack often. It takes some skill to master this, though.
I usually get to the edge of the course as soon as the game begins and charge it up. the only defenses against this are: grapping the edge and pressing b or squeezing in behind Ike. Luckily, with your attack charged, you can escape these defenses if you can see them coming.

This is also a good defense for cheap attacks. most people block with their sheild, but with Ike, it's not always best. block with this attack if needed. it can be very helpful. For example: say pit is attacking with his bow and arrows. hit pit's arrow after he fires it. sidestep behind him and charge a smash attack (forward+A is my fav). this type of thing happens often, using the forward+B to block an attack, then sidestepping to attack your opponent.

3. ATTACKING AFTER GETTING LAUNCHED: happens to me all the time. someone launches me and continues to do it. the two moves that are good for this: eruption and aether.

Eruption: after getting lauched, if launched high, charge eruption (standard b). when you're above your opponent, with a little space inbetween you, let go. As ike plunges his sword downwards, you're enemy's only defense is to sidestep, which usually does no good because as soon as they're vulnarable again, the shockwave of fire gets them. if they sidestep twice,they're far enough away to grab some items or hit them with your forward+b attack.

of course you could just down+a or use sheild, but sometimes those aren't effective.

4. DOWN+B: we all know Ike's slow, but this is attck that can combat any other attack, if you can see it coming.

5. CLOSE RANGE: as i told you before, sidestepping is key. but so is dodging. if you can do bothe of these well, then stay in close range, because his attacks are short ranged, but strong.

6. EXPECTING THE EXPECTED: contradictory to nuber five, another technique is to wait for opponents to come for you, and charge your attacks. with skillful opponents, it isn't always good, but every now-and-then, it helps.

7. STAY ON THE GROUND: i am not fond of his arials, so i suggest to stay on the ground.

8: PRACTICE: last step. train, practice, try. it takes a short while to master ike.
1. This guide was made for advanced multiplayer combat;

2. Sidesteping and using foward A is a horrible strategy. I doubt even newbie players will fall for it. Foward B has priority, but can easily be identified, dodged and punished;

3. If you are going to use Eruption like that against advanced players, they will chain grab you to your doom. Intermediate players will try something awful too. The Aether? I could see it coming;

4. The counter stance takes some time to set up, you must know your opponent moves to counter them efectively;

5. That is kinda obvius and is covered by the guide;

6. Sometimes you find fox or falcos full of confidence who persue you wherever you go. Just waiting for them to come to me has proved to be an efective in a lot of situations so I must agree with you. But one must remember to no use moves that are too predictable, jabs and counter grabs work just fine;

7. Ike has great aerials, you are missing a good part of his potencial;

8. The guide even sugest diferent methods of training!

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master

YOU'RE WRONG!
you are using computers as an example? I guess side stepping is good but its pretty obvious idk why your saying that they are wrong

or blocking? maybe a spot dodge or a roll? if QD gets blocked you are left very helpless

no thats very very dumb pit uses his arrows when he sees you charging your side b and by the time you get hit with it and try to side step behind him he'll be on the other side of the stage

items? items? just quit now. it doesn't work very often why would they walk into a charged eruption when they can just wait till you use it and attack you and I don't think people here play with items

they are more affective than aether if you get launched and use it theres like 1% chance that youll hit them and 99% that theyll escape it if they do get hit. not to mention that after you miss your left vulnerable.

thats fine i guess

at least you got one part right

isn't always good? its never good
bad idea

I don't think its a short time and i doubt youve mastered him yet

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
SSBbo, most people have already explained some things in the post above. Just to give you some general advice, I'll reply as well.

First off all, what we're talking about here is not for the single player modes. Single player is rather easy in Brawl and not something you need exceptional practice for. It's also not beneficial for your 2-4 player Brawl style. So to say, it has not advantages besides being fun.

Also, I've seen you mention items. This is meant for competitive play. This means we are not playing with items, because they are based on luck rather than skill.

Onto your points.

1) Sidestepping can be useful, but be careful with it as well. At the end of a sidestep there are a few frames that leave you vulnerable. This means that if your opponent can predict your sidestep they can hit you out of it, or even charge a smash and release it once you get out. So you can use sidestepping on obvious or slow attacks but be careful (like with the autolance, you will know far ahead what it's gonna do).

2) Be careful for opponents with a projectile, as they can hit you out of it. Or with opponents that jump, as you will miss them. Also, if you let go and they roll past you, you'll swing your sword. This means you will stand helplessly for quite some time.

3) Both can be used to escape combos. Please do remember, you have to use them with correct DI, not instead of it. Also, they are both rather slow moves, so if your opponent knows you'll be using them, you're in for trouble.

4) This is a slow move as well. It takes a while before it starts and takes very long afterwards before you can do anything else. Don't use this often.

5) Well Ike only has "close range" attacks. However, try to keep your range as large as possible, while still being able to hit. Ike's attacks reach far so make use of them.

6) Don't do this. Ever. Any player with some brains won't run after Ike. There's no use for it. Also, if you charge any attack with Ike, with some exceptions for QD, you're vulnerable.

7) Like stated by others, don't stand on the ground. Shorthop (I explain this in the guide) and use attacks like nair (neutral air) and fair (forward air). They are really good.

8) We're working on tips how to best train with Ike. One thing to remember though, play against other humans, not cpu. Play with items off. And play against people who own the game and play in this same way. If you just play with friends or practice against cpu, you won't become good at Smash. Play 1 vs 1, this will help you learn your attacks and focusing on them, instead of looking at 3 opponents. And try playing neutral stages more, like Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville and Yoshi's Island.

shinethezombie

Smash Rookie
When in the counter stance, Ike can counter even when struck from behind. I know most of you have already realized this, but this is a very important point to remember when playing matched with 3 or 4 combatants. When you’re engaging an opponent, the other players not involved tend to think your are too busy or concentrated to pay attention to what they are doing and try to “surprise” attack you. Very often I find Luigis trying to spin attack or charging their missiles at me when I turn my back on them, but hopefully, my counter has never let me down.
personally, I've found that using counter is a great way to use mind games in my play especially using it to counter attacks from behind. For example, showing your back is usually a bad idea because it leaves you vulnerable. but it can make your opponent lower their guard and use a predictable attack that you can use counter on. but this is punishable and should be used sparingly although a good alternative to using counter is to roll behind and use a jab.

VS olimar:

since i have not played any good Olimars as of yet i've only faced lvl 9 cpu olimars. and from what i've seen there olimar is trouble for ike because of his large grab range and his pikmin can gimp QD easily. Also, his up+b can devastate aerial approaches.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Yes, but thankfully if an olimar is EVER near the edge, you can reverse dash grab him, sliding straight to the edge of the stage, setting up for a throw to ledgeguard. This is a very scary place for Olimar. Edgehogging is the reason Olimar wets his bed at night. I'm not sure what the priority is for Ike's dash attack, but it goes much further than most of Olimar's attacks.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
personally, I've found that using counter is a great way to use mind games in my play especially using it to counter attacks from behind. For example, showing your back is usually a bad idea because it leaves you vulnerable. but it can make your opponent lower their guard and use a predictable attack that you can use counter on. but this is punishable and should be used sparingly although a good alternative to using counter is to roll behind and use a jab.
Sure, I never show my back on purpose, it just and example for matches with 3 or more players. And about the rolling and jabing, I used to do it with my brother before I developed some skill with counter and it not worked quite right. My brother uses Luigi, a moderatedly fast character, and used to try to hit me when I was not facing him with his Nair so I whould roll back and try to jab him and he whould already have passed the landing lag and Dsmash me. I still hasn't build much skill fighting other charecters so I could call me an expert, but I'm sure a Luigi expert and this technique has worked quite well until now.

But you're not wrong, if I use counter every time I'm stuck from behind my opponents will soon notice a pattern and kick my butt. Literaly.

SSBbo

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed that no one likes my strategy.
but, i don't know why none of you use items. you say it's all luck, experienced players can win without them, etc., but i think that experienced players should be able to avoid, counter, and recover from any item (except sonic's final). Items (and the lack of combos) are what sets smash bros from dead or alive (which i'm great at).

another thing, I play against the computer alot, cuz i live in Alabama around the beach, and everyone's busy at the beach, except for a few people that i own horribly. So i deceided to retest my strategy without items against a team of three lvl. 9 computers.
i set it on random and beat Ganondorf, Metaknight, and pit by 1 ko.
i did it again and beat R.O.B, Yoshi, and Ice Climbers by 5 kos.
yes i know neither of these mean anything, cuz its very easy to do, but its the best i can do because i have a wired router and no adapter to play online.

Kilik 64

Smash Rookie
The problem with items is that they create an oppotunity to change the flow of battle unfairly. Say for instance that I showed up here claiming to be the best Ike player, and Empy decided to be me in my place with a one stock at FD. He's beating me so bad that I can't even hit him, then a Pokeball suddenly appears at my feet. I throw it, and out comes that big blue bird thing. (Latios is it?) It flies around hitting him, until it knocks him off the stage.

I just won a match that I did absolutely nothing in, and definitely didn't deserve to. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. When I'm playing for fun with friends, items go on. I like the wackiness that they add to the game, and we're just playing for fun. When I'm in a trying to see who is better, I don't want my friend to just happen to be there when a Pokeball shows up.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
If you want to talk about items, go to the ISP thread.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ike Knockback Comparison

This is the order in which Ike's moves will kill.
Snake was used to test this, because according to M2K's weight list thread, he has equal horizontal and vertical weights.
Diminishing Returns were not taken into account (read: Training Mode)
This is from the center of FD.

Eruption [flash] = 19
FC Fsmash [nontip] = 29
Eruption [full] = 37

Fsmash [nontip] = 59
FC Fsmash [tip] = 63
FC Usmash = 76
FC Dsmash [back] = 78

Fsmash [tip] = 100
FC Dsmash [front] = 103
Dtilt [ss] = 103
Ftilt = 111
Usmash = 118
Uair [front] = 118
Dsmash [back] = 120
Uair [back] = 121
Utilt [front] = 122
Bair = 127
QD [charge] = 127

Dair [feet] = 140
Dair [ground] = 144
Eruption = 145
Fair = 148
Dsmash [front] = 150
Dtilt [up] = 154
Utilt [back] = 164

Jab = 184
Nair = 188
Dthrow = 211
QD [no charge] = 224
Dashattack = 238
Aether [ground] = Over 300
Fthrow = Over 300
Bthrow = Over 300
Uthrow = Over 300

Interesting Notes:
-Tipper Fsmash loses about half its power
-Usmash does the same damage/knockback no matter where it hits
-Utilt -> Bair
-Going to Training mode counts as a match o_O
-WTF @ Eruption
-There's a different rate of knockback increase between tipper and non-tipper Fsmash
-Ike has 4 spikes (Aether, Dtilt, Dair, Eruption), which are not listed

Top Bottom