• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Will Believe In Myself: Miles "Tails" Prower Support Thread

SonicMario

Smash Master
I really don't see how Crash factors into Tails at all. All Sakurai really needs to do is ask SEGA and I'm sure that they would gladly include him. I think the bigger hurdle is whether or not Sakurai sees the value in Prower, if the popularity is big enough, that would tip things in his favor.
I would certainly hope Sakurai sees the value of including a more classic character of the franchise with Tails. We've seen how Sakurai loves collecting iconic characters from far and wide. I do think that if Tails ever got playable, Sakurai would easily play up the Mario & Luigi Vs. Sonic & Tails thing. I'd expect both Mario and Luigi to play a role in the trailer if Tails was a full-fledged newcomer. Or even if he's an echo part of the gameplay footage would be him alongside Sonic against Mario & Luigi. Though I could also see Fox and/or Falco playing a role in something revealing Tails. Showing that Fox isn't the only "star" Fox in the roster anymore.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Speaking of Believe in Myself, do you think it's even possible for Tails to make it into this game WITHOUT his theme song? Or is that something you absolutely could not see him coming without? Same with Shadow and his theme songs.

If so, which pre-existing sonic song in smash do you think would fit both Tails and Shadow?

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
would be nice to hear believe in myself on the sonic stages
Mentioned this kind of before but thought I'd repost it here

While space is kinda limited for Sonic songs at the moment (It could be anywhere from 2-6 depending on a few factors unless they cut any songs that were in Smash 4). And of course it'd be nice to have a new remix (Other then the Angel Island remix anyway) rather then all original tracks. Thought I'd list a couple of songs I wouldn't mind coming with Tails.

Sonic 2 Representation: Emerald Hill Zone which was in Brawl but not in Smash 4 can come back if Tails is playable. Though Chemical Plant Zone would also be neat since that's kind of become Sonic 2's Green Hill Zone in popping up in recent games. A new remix would be nice but the modern version from Generations would be fine enough.

Character Themes: I would like I Believe In Myself as a song as well. I personally prefer the SA2 version and I wouldn't mind either vocals or instrumental. Though they could also bring the song that plays in the plane bonus level in Sonic Lost World that is a bit of a remix of it.

SA2 Level Themes: Prison Lane would be pretty cool to have. Though my personal favorite Tails level theme was probably Eternal Engine. That was probably the worst Tails level in that game for how it played but I did like it's Music quite a bit.
I think the most likely version if I Believe In Myself makes it as a song is the instrumental remix in Sonic Lost World. But I would like either of the Adventure versions. Particuarly the SA2 version though SA1's isn't bad either.

Speaking of Believe in Myself, do you think it's even possible for Tails to make it into this game WITHOUT his theme song? Or is that something you absolutely could not see him coming without? Same with Shadow and his theme songs.
Eh, I could see them putting him in without his theme song in at all actually. It's also possible Shadow wouldn't bring anything with him either.

I do think at the very least if Tails is in they'll include a song from Sonic 2 whether that's just returning Emerald Hill from Brawl or using Chemical Plant or any other Sonic 2 song (Remixed or not).

I think the basis of this is the character videos that usually have a song from a game the character is associated with. Though even if we were restricted to the songs that were in Smash 4. They could just use say... Sonic Heroes' theme (Or maybe even Reach For The Stars) for Tails and then Live & Learn for Shadow.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Indeed, while Sonic had the iconic Live & Learn for his Brawl reveal, they revealed him in Smash 4 with the Sonic Heroes theme.... which you wouldn't think they'd choose for Sonic? I could totally see Tails or Shadow making it in without their songs.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I would certainly hope Sakurai sees the value of including a more classic character of the franchise with Tails. We've seen how Sakurai loves collecting iconic characters from far and wide. I do think that if Tails ever got playable, Sakurai would easily play up the Mario & Luigi Vs. Sonic & Tails thing. I'd expect both Mario and Luigi to play a role in the trailer if Tails was a full-fledged newcomer. Or even if he's an echo part of the gameplay footage would be him alongside Sonic against Mario & Luigi. Though I could also see Fox and/or Falco playing a role in something revealing Tails. Showing that Fox isn't the only "star" Fox in the roster anymore.
Damn straight, that kind of matchup is the greatest dream of childhoods. In a context that doesn't involve the olympics.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I support!

I don't think his appearance on Green Hill Zone means anything for now as it hasn't been recognized on the website yet, making it a different situation than Viridi who is shown off on the Reset Bomb Forest pic.

I think the Mii Costume is interesting as they would've had to pay for the license to use Tails (and Knuckles) in 2016, which is around the same time the roster for Smash Ultimate was decided. Nintendo and Sega have been super close for the past decade or so, and with Sonic being a staple in Smash for also a decade, I think it stands that Sonic could get another character.

I do wonder if he could work as an echo, and, to me, that would be more preferable to Shadow. We know they are making new animations, so adding his tail to all the spins would be par for the course. The abilities are pretty similar too, though I would imagine Tails trades ground speed for air speed. I'm not sure how his flight could be replicated though. Maybe he steals Peach float? Or maybe he has a unique mechanic where he hovers and slowly descends as long as jump is held (inverse fast fall). But I don't know if they'd be willing to do that for an echo.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I support!

I don't think his appearance on Green Hill Zone means anything for now as it hasn't been recognized on the website yet, making it a different situation than Viridi who is shown off on the Reset Bomb Forest pic.

I think the Mii Costume is interesting as they would've had to pay for the license to use Tails (and Knuckles) in 2016, which is around the same time the roster for Smash Ultimate was decided. Nintendo and Sega have been super close for the past decade or so, and with Sonic being a staple in Smash for also a decade, I think it stands that Sonic could get another character.

I do wonder if he could work as an echo, and, to me, that would be more preferable to Shadow. We know they are making new animations, so adding his tail to all the spins would be par for the course. The abilities are pretty similar too, though I would imagine Tails trades ground speed for air speed. I'm not sure how his flight could be replicated though. Maybe he steals Peach float? Or maybe he has a unique mechanic where he hovers and slowly descends as long as jump is held (inverse fast fall). But I don't know if they'd be willing to do that for an echo.
Yeah we've mentioned before that if Tails must be an echo. Peach's float and/or some way to keep his flight ability to his core. (Chrom muddied the waters already on what makes an echo an echo, maybe Sega made it on one conditing that Tails must must have a unique up+B even if most of everything's the same. Even for stuff like the up throw they could change that to Tails putting foes into his spinning tails for a multi-hit attack). Keep most things the same but either give a sort of float ability, maybe even have it possible to float upwards. Or just give him as many jumps as Kirby and Jlgglypuff can do that convey some degree of flight.

Shadow's still easier because even just many of these done for Tails may be blurring the line between Echoes and straight up clones. But we sure hope Tails can stand on his own merits to have a shot at making it even if Shadow makes it in first as an echo.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
It's been pretty quiet here so I just wanted to say again that my hopes for Tails as a unique fighter are still pretty strong right now. A lot of people are currently using these "Ballot Results" as evidence of who's gonna be in the game. But to be honest I've never heard of these fan ballots? I never voted in them, and I bet a lot of other people didn't either. They give off a lot of the wrong idea with the more hardcore fan votes.

Bandana Dee and MAGOLOR over Shadow and Tails (who isn't even on this list)? Sorry, but I have a feeling only people hardcore enough to actually go out and find these fan ballots actually voted on these things and don't accurately represent the true ballot...

Don't let stuff like this get you guys down, I'm absolutely sure the actual ballot looks nothing like this. The Mii Costumes are an actual reflection of what made it high on the list, don't forget that. Tails was on the Mii costume list. You guys just gotta believe.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I think at the very least some of the characters that do the best in theese kind of polls it's a good sample size. I definitely think King K. Rool did amazing in the Ballot even if he wasn't exactly #1 like many of the exit polls had him at.

But beyond the Top 5 or even 3 it's not as easy to say these results are entirely indicative of something. I think it's at least a certainty that Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow were the Top 3 Sonic characters in the ballot. We just don't know who was above who and we'll probably never know for sure.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's been pretty quiet here so I just wanted to say again that my hopes for Tails as a unique fighter are still pretty strong right now. A lot of people are currently using these "Ballot Results" as evidence of who's gonna be in the game. But to be honest I've never heard of these fan ballots? I never voted in them, and I bet a lot of other people didn't either. They give off a lot of the wrong idea with the more hardcore fan votes.

Bandana Dee and MAGOLOR over Shadow and Tails (who isn't even on this list)? Sorry, but I have a feeling only people hardcore enough to actually go out and find these fan ballots actually voted on these things and don't accurately represent the true ballot...

Don't let stuff like this get you guys down, I'm absolutely sure the actual ballot looks nothing like this. The Mii Costumes are an actual reflection of what made it high on the list, don't forget that. Tails was on the Mii costume list. You guys just gotta believe.

it sickens me that geno is higher than captain toad

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
it sickens me that geno is higher than captain toad
I would guess that in the long run, (Captain) Toad would dance circles around Geno. Geno just seems to have popularity with older hardcore gamers, but that is just a small chunk of the gaming populace. Toad would definitely outclass him in the case of "normies." Fortunately, it's that category where a character like Tails would excell in as well.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Even if Geno did get into Smash there's probably not going to be much of a future for him. Captain Toad will probably get a sequel or two and maybe improve his stock for DLC for this game and maybe even the next game if he continues to have success to make him stand out even on the possibility that the roster is significantly shrunk. I do think Geno is just one of those special cases that were a cult following that's been around since Brawl that Sakurai took notice and showed curiosity for. I think the one thing standing in Geno's way is Square, who is evidently quite stingy with Final Fantasy still only having 2 songs and the possibility of preferring a series they have that does have some kind of future over the obscure Geno. I won't mind Geno if he's in, but I do have some doubts. I don't many any offense to Geno supporters though, it would just make things interesting if I'm wrong.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Check out this trailer idea I made for Tails in the Direct a Trailer thread. I think this would be a fun way to reference the EGM hoax.

Ok, got another idea for one - this one has a live-action framing device.

*Smash Logo*

We open on a young kid (~10) sitting at home playing Smash Bros. The kid's hairstyle/clothes are unmistakably early 2000s. He's playing Melee on a gamecube.

Another kid runs in with a magazine.

"Look at this!"
"WHOA!"
"Just get 20 KOs in Cruel Melee!"

Both kids start trying to play Cruel Melee, but keep getting KOd. They're frustrated. As they keep playing, the camera shows the cover of the magazine: EGM. We also see that it's April 1, 2002.

Quick montage showing time passing. We focus on the kid sleeping in his room (now in his 20s). He's got a fairly typical dorm room style bedroom, nothing out of the ordinary but a few Nintendo posters around. His desk is mostly clean save for a game cube controller connected to his docked Switch. On the wall is the current "Everyone is here" mural (nobody new added in). But on his desk is a small slip cut from the magazine - the picture that suggested Sonic and Tails could be unlocked in Melee

As the camera zooms in on it, there is a flash and it cuts to actual gameplay in Ultimate: Yoshi, Sonic, Luigi and Tails in a free-for-all on Green Greens. Tails KOs the rest of the characters. The announcer says "GAME!" and it goes to the win screen - but instead of doing the standard flash of color, it gives Tails'
splash screen after he poses.

Tails Spins in!

*Back to the results screen, where everyone gets to the 'press start to continue'*

*Cut to Tails gameplay montage*

*Ends on Ultimate logo*

After the logo disappears, we cut to the mural centered on Tails. The camera pulls back to show the same room in the same state, but now he's got a Sonic and Tails themed comforter and he's smiling in his sleep.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I'm late coming into all of these Smash threads, but I fully support Tails' inclusion as either a new player character or an echo fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. It's time.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Check out this trailer idea I made for Tails in the Direct a Trailer thread. I think this would be a fun way to reference the EGM hoax.
I in turn have thought of what I'd probably have Tails trailer. It'd probably be mainly Sonic in trouble. Perhaps being teamed up against by Mario, Luigi, and maybe Fox and Falco too. But then the distant sounds of a plane flying by are heard making Sonic smile as he looks up. Tails jumping and fluttering down to Sonic's side with the classic sounds of when Tails was flying.

And if Fox is there, probably have Sonic get the cheesy one-liner of "Alright Tails, show them who's the real star fox around here!"

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Something tells me that if Tails is confirmed as a unique fighter, he's not going to get a CGI trailer for the sole fact that both Sonic and Bayonetta did not get CGI trailers, though that could just be a coincidence since Sonic was a veteran and Bayonetta was a DLC character (which basically all DLC really didn't get any CGI). Also due to the fact that Sonic himself has never appeared in any of the CGI trailers.

I hope I'm wrong about that, but at the same time, even if that is the case, I wouldn't even be mad. I'll just be happy that he's in the game as a playable character.

As for Captain Toad vs Geno.... even though Toad is a million times more relevant today, I have a strong feeling that these choices are heavily ballot results and that Geno has an edge in this particular battle. I don't know if the Cap has that many fans behind him to warrant his inclusion. It still shocks me that characters like Skull Kid or Bandana Dee have such loud voices when it comes to their fans.

Actually... that's a really good point.

The majority isn't always the loudest. Just because Tails is quiet, doesn't mean at all he isn't the majority. We could very well just be the silent majority. After all, we're not talking about some sort of obscure character. We're talking about the #2 character in a 3rd party franchise that has been here since BRAWL. If the rumors are correct and we really are getting Ken and Geno, that means Sakurai is going in hard with these 3rd parties, and I don't see him stopping there.

On the topic of characters. This is my honest prediction based on Vergeben leaks (which I think are true), belief that Sakurai is choosing from the Ballot (confirmed this with an interview regarding K.Rool, backed up by Vergeben saying Simon also got in due to the ballot), and the Mii Fighter Costume theory.

Untitled.png

SonicMario

Smash Master
Something tells me that if Tails is confirmed as a unique fighter, he's not going to get a CGI trailer for the sole fact that both Sonic and Bayonetta did not get CGI trailers, though that could just be a coincidence since Sonic was a veteran and Bayonetta was a DLC character (which basically all DLC really didn't get any CGI). Also due to the fact that Sonic himself has never appeared in any of the CGI trailers.

I hope I'm wrong about that, but at the same time, even if that is the case, I wouldn't even be mad. I'll just be happy that he's in the game as a playable character.

As for Captain Toad vs Geno.... even though Toad is a million times more relevant today, I have a strong feeling that these choices are heavily ballot results and that Geno has an edge in this particular battle. I don't know if the Cap has that many fans behind him to warrant his inclusion. It still shocks me that characters like Skull Kid or Bandana Dee have such loud voices when it comes to their fans.

Actually... that's a really good point.

The majority isn't always the loudest. Just because Tails is quiet, doesn't mean at all he isn't the majority. We could very well just be the silent majority. After all, we're not talking about some sort of obscure character. We're talking about the #2 character in a 3rd party franchise that has been here since BRAWL. If the rumors are correct and we really are getting Ken and Geno, that means Sakurai is going in hard with these 3rd parties, and I don't see him stopping there.

On the topic of characters. This is my honest prediction based on Vergeben leaks (which I think are true), belief that Sakurai is choosing from the Ballot (confirmed this with an interview regarding K.Rool, backed up by Vergeben saying Simon also got in due to the ballot), and the Mii Fighter Costume theory.

View attachment 159971
Heh you're rather brave to say Rabbids and Goku are among your most wanted.

And Trailers at least so far for Smash 4 and Ultimate are simply for base game unique newcomers (Though Corrin kind of got one even though he was DLC). I do think there's a chance Ultimate's DLC unique newcomers will get actual trailers this time but who knows.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Heh you're rather brave to say Rabbids and Goku are among your most wanted.

And Trailers at least so far for Smash 4 and Ultimate are simply for base game unique newcomers (Though Corrin kind of got one even though he was DLC). I do think there's a chance Ultimate's DLC unique newcomers will get actual trailers this time but who knows.
LMAO yes I'm certainly not afraid to support those two controversial characters, even if they basically have no chance of actually making it in at this point. I'm one of those people that thinks the Rabbids are cooler than Rayman, nor do I think that Goku being in Smash would kill it and destroy the meaning of it being a "Celebration of video games".

I was primarily a Delphox supporter in Smash 4's lifespan, but I've switched over to Tails as my primary due to the fact that I think he has the best chances out of all of them currently.

As for the DLC trailers, Ryu got like his idle pose, and I think Corrin's trailer was just ripped directly from his game, so I wouldn't even count that as a unique CGI trailer. I really do want to believe that Smash Ultimate will have unique CGI trailers for each new character, including Tails if he happens to be in the game. They are currently 4 for 4 so.....

SonicMario

Smash Master
LMAO yes I'm certainly not afraid to support those two controversial characters, even if they basically have no chance of actually making it in at this point. I'm one of those people that thinks the Rabbids are cooler than Rayman, nor do I think that Goku being in Smash would kill it and destroy the meaning of it being a "Celebration of video games".

I was primarily a Delphox supporter in Smash 4's lifespan, but I've switched over to Tails as my primary due to the fact that I think he has the best chances out of all of them currently.

As for the DLC trailers, Ryu got like his idle pose, and I think Corrin's trailer was just ripped directly from his game, so I wouldn't even count that as a unique CGI trailer. I really do want to believe that Smash Ultimate will have unique CGI trailers for each new character, including Tails if he happens to be in the game. They are currently 4 for 4 so.....
Given 3rd parties are kind of allowed to have more then one rep. They'd probably have both Rayman and a playable Rabbid (With Kingdom Battle alts). The only time I could concievably see Goku is the big bang of a final DLC character to end Ultimate's character speculation with a bang but still find it highly unlikely.

I wouldn't be surprised if say Sega made it's own trailer for Tails if he was in as DLC. I think Sega for the most part does pretty good with CGI Cutscenes themselves and they could do something for a DLC Tails even if it's sort of different from how the current studio making the Smash trailers have it.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I wouldn't be surprised if say Sega made it's own trailer for Tails if he was in as DLC. I think Sega for the most part does pretty good with CGI Cutscenes themselves and they could do something for a DLC Tails even if it's sort of different from how the current studio making the Smash trailers have it.
That is true. I don't think this would be the first time they got somebody else to do the work with their own animation style, what with Palutena's anime reveal trailer. I would not be surprised if SEGA themselves were the one to animate Tails' trailer.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
There was a discussion about "who would you add" in the general thread which inevitably led to a chorus of "ugh other peoples' opinions suck" but it got me thinking about who deserves to be in Smash. I thought I'd like to share my analysis here.

When I consider if someone 'deserves' to be in Smash, I'd want someone who's definitely iconic. They should be someone that 90% of gamers (and half of their mothers) would recognize. They should have a fanbase - it doesn't need to be the biggest bandwagony fanbase, but there should still be a large section of fans that would be happy to see that character in. Also, Smash is still at heart a Nintendo game, so a deserving character should either be a prominent first- or second-party character, or a third-party who is incredibly ingrained with Nintendo, either by having major Nintendo games or by being extremely closely associated with Nintendo properties. If they were the first representative of a series, the series should be a major series that is also iconic itself, possibly to the point of being memetic in places, and should have had most of its games highly loved by large portions of the fanbase. A second (or third, or fourth) representative of an existing series should also hold that the series itself is iconic and popular, but should complement the existing member(s) of the series without making the game seem unbalanced in its favor.

With that in mind, The most deserving character for Smash in my mind is Tails.

While Tails is not the most popular member of Sonic's team, he was the first around having joined in Sonic 2, and is incredibly recognizable as Sonic's best friend to the point that he has been called the Luigi to Sonic's Mario. He is instantly recognizable to anyone with even a passing knowledge of the Sonic franchise.

Now the Sonic franchise is third-party, but nobody can think of Sonic without also thinking of Nintendo. Many other companies tried to make their cute mascots, but none were as recognizable as Sonic and Mario, and their rivalry shaped much of the landscape of gaming in the 90s. As someone who grew up with that rivalry, it was phenomenal to see Sonic appear in Brawl, and also the entire franchise that spun out with Mario and Sonic at the Olympics. We had finally gotten to a point where these two bitter rivals were together in a game.

And this brings me to Tails. As Sonic's most well-known companion, there are plenty of parallels drawn between him and Luigi. Both started out with the same abilities as their partner, but started to diverge their own abilities and personalities as time went along. The potential of Mario's and Sonic's closest companions also being able to challenge one another (or even team up) in Smash would bring the intercompany representation to its best extent. Many of my friends from work or former schoolmates, all in their 30s now, all don't react much to most character names that are thrown around, but all of them recognize Tails. They all think that a series as important to the gaming industry and representative of the 90s Sega/Nintendo rivalry era as Sonic should absolutely get another character in Smash, and as Sonic's first and best friend, Tails is their top choice.

It certainly says something when a magazine known for their April Fool's hoaxes managed to trick a lot of people back in 2002 with Sonic and Tails in Melee. It would mean a lot to a lot of people if this really did finally come to pass.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
There was a discussion about "who would you add" in the general thread which inevitably led to a chorus of "ugh other peoples' opinions suck" but it got me thinking about who deserves to be in Smash. I thought I'd like to share my analysis here.

When I consider if someone 'deserves' to be in Smash, I'd want someone who's definitely iconic. They should be someone that 90% of gamers (and half of their mothers) would recognize. They should have a fanbase - it doesn't need to be the biggest bandwagony fanbase, but there should still be a large section of fans that would be happy to see that character in. Also, Smash is still at heart a Nintendo game, so a deserving character should either be a prominent first- or second-party character, or a third-party who is incredibly ingrained with Nintendo, either by having major Nintendo games or by being extremely closely associated with Nintendo properties. If they were the first representative of a series, the series should be a major series that is also iconic itself, possibly to the point of being memetic in places, and should have had most of its games highly loved by large portions of the fanbase. A second (or third, or fourth) representative of an existing series should also hold that the series itself is iconic and popular, but should complement the existing member(s) of the series without making the game seem unbalanced in its favor.

With that in mind, The most deserving character for Smash in my mind is Tails.

While Tails is not the most popular member of Sonic's team, he was the first around having joined in Sonic 2, and is incredibly recognizable as Sonic's best friend to the point that he has been called the Luigi to Sonic's Mario. He is instantly recognizable to anyone with even a passing knowledge of the Sonic franchise.

Now the Sonic franchise is third-party, but nobody can think of Sonic without also thinking of Nintendo. Many other companies tried to make their cute mascots, but none were as recognizable as Sonic and Mario, and their rivalry shaped much of the landscape of gaming in the 90s. As someone who grew up with that rivalry, it was phenomenal to see Sonic appear in Brawl, and also the entire franchise that spun out with Mario and Sonic at the Olympics. We had finally gotten to a point where these two bitter rivals were together in a game.

And this brings me to Tails. As Sonic's most well-known companion, there are plenty of parallels drawn between him and Luigi. Both started out with the same abilities as their partner, but started to diverge their own abilities and personalities as time went along. The potential of Mario's and Sonic's closest companions also being able to challenge one another (or even team up) in Smash would bring the intercompany representation to its best extent. Many of my friends from work or former schoolmates, all in their 30s now, all don't react much to most character names that are thrown around, but all of them recognize Tails. They all think that a series as important to the gaming industry and representative of the 90s Sega/Nintendo rivalry era as Sonic should absolutely get another character in Smash, and as Sonic's first and best friend, Tails is their top choice.

It certainly says something when a magazine known for their April Fool's hoaxes managed to trick a lot of people back in 2002 with Sonic and Tails in Melee. It would mean a lot to a lot of people if this really did finally come to pass.
Well said! I'm a little more lenient on the "relation to Nintendo" aspect of third parties, but this more or less sums up most of my view on the subject.

Tails is definitely at the top when it comes to being Smash worthy, ticking all the check boxes. Iconic? Check. Popular in the gaming populace? Check, Important to his home series (ie not a one off or forgotten character)? Check. Can bring something new to the table? Check.

The only argument I see against him that holds any water is that Shadow would be an easy clone. I say "bah" to that notion, the team should not cop out for the easy road, if we get a second Sonic character, it should be Tails. Shadow can be added too, but it shouldn't be at the expense of Mr. Prower.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Survived another week of music. Got Yoshi today. That leaves...
  • Super Mario
    Mario Kart
    Animal Crossing
  • Pokémon
  • Earthbound/Mother
  • Kid Icarus
  • WarioWare
  • Pikmin
  • Punch-Out!!
  • Wii Fit
  • Xenoblade
  • Duck Hunt
  • Sonic
  • Pac-Man
  • Star Fox
  • Bayonetta*
  • Final Fantasy*
(*) = The last direct showed us that they got no increase in songs, but this could still mean that they got new songs and replaced old ones.

For who's aren't familiar with my music theory, they don't seem to repeat a single franchise on the music website.... which, they may be reserving certain franchises to go along with character reveals. The fact that we haven't gotten a Sonic song yet still is a good thing.

Last edited:

K.K. Slider

Smash Rookie
  • Super Mario
  • Pokémon
  • Earthbound/Mother
  • Kid Icarus
  • WarioWare
  • Pikmin
  • Punch-Out!!
  • Wii Fit
  • Xenoblade
  • Duck Hunt
  • Sonic
  • Pac-Man
  • Star Fox*
  • Bayonetta*
  • Final Fantasy*
(*) = The last direct showed us that they got no increase in songs, but this could still mean that they got new songs and replaced old ones.

For who's aren't familiar with my music theory, they don't seem to repeat a single franchise on the music website.... which, they may be reserving certain franchises to go along with character reveals. The fact that we haven't gotten a Sonic song yet still is a good thing.
Well that theory certainly makes sense. Lets hope eh?

SonicMario

Smash Master
  • Super Mario
  • Pokémon
  • Earthbound/Mother
  • Kid Icarus
  • WarioWare
  • Pikmin
  • Punch-Out!!
  • Wii Fit
  • Xenoblade
  • Duck Hunt
  • Sonic
  • Pac-Man
  • Star Fox*
  • Bayonetta*
  • Final Fantasy*

Reminder though that Sonic probably wouldn't be the only franchise that potentially benefits from this theory albeit the list is small with only 2 others besides Sonic. Granted most of these franchises aren't going to get a Newcomer.

Super Mario isn't getting anything unless Captain Toad turns out to be the first character to be seen in the background of a brand new stage (Besides Miis in Smash 4 but that can be argued against since Miis can be everywhere at once) that later turned out to be playable in the same game. Maybe there's a shot for Paper Mario but not sure. And I guess there's Geno but not sure he'll even be given the mushroom symbol if he's in. Geno may get his own symbol and just come with a remix of Beware The Forest Mushrooms
I don't think MOTHER is getting anyone other then Ness or Lucas unless there's a Ninten echo.
Kid Icarus might if maybe they go for Medusa as a Palutena echo, not sure if it's likely though.
WarioWare's best bet was Ashley, that's gone now
Unless Louie get's in as an Echo despite Alph being still an Alt, I don't think Pikmin's getting anything either
Only viable Punch-Out rep I could see is if Cross-Series echos are a thing and King Hippo was echoed off K. Rool
Unless you want the Balance board I don't think Wii Fit's getting anything else
Duck Hunt's perfect representation as is
And unless Ms. Pac-Man's an echo there's probably not another Pac-Man rep coming.
And the 3 franchises that don't have any music number changes probably aren't getting newcomers either

So what's left is:

Pokemon: Who has a high shot at getting something from Gen 7.
Xenoblade: If there's one in the base game, Elma's a likely one. Otherwise there is Rex and Pyra by DLC time
Sonic: Who we all can hope for Tails but we also gotta be wary that if music's being saved they could also do Shadow with a theme of his

Though also going by this theory's logic Zelda and Kirby aren't getting a newcomer (Which would be a bummer for the Skull Kid and Bandana Dee fans here).

Besides maybe a few more echoes and/or unrepresented franchise reps coming in, if every one of the franchises that still remain that could get more characters there can only be about 3-4 characters. We could be getting Gen 7 Pokemon, Elma, Tails and/or Shadow (Still being an echo though in case I cause confusion listing Shadow here) as our final batch of newcomers based on this. Which I'm not exactly sure about, maybe include Geno and/or Isaac among the possibilities here. But I can't help but think about not being confident in this exactly being what it actually ends up being.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
  • Super Mario
  • Pokémon
  • Earthbound/Mother
  • Kid Icarus
  • WarioWare
  • Pikmin
  • Punch-Out!!
  • Wii Fit
  • Xenoblade
  • Duck Hunt
  • Sonic
  • Pac-Man
  • Star Fox*
  • Bayonetta*
  • Final Fantasy*

you forgot animal crossing

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Reminder though that Sonic probably wouldn't be the only franchise that potentially benefits from this theory albeit the list is small with only 2 others besides Sonic. Granted most of these franchises aren't going to get a Newcomer.

Super Mario isn't getting anything unless Captain Toad turns out to be the first character to be seen in the background of a brand new stage (Besides Miis in Smash 4 but that can be argued against since Miis can be everywhere at once) that later turned out to be playable in the same game. Maybe there's a shot for Paper Mario but not sure. And I guess there's Geno but not sure he'll even be given the mushroom symbol if he's in. Geno may get his own symbol and just come with a remix of Beware The Forest Mushrooms
I don't think MOTHER is getting anyone other then Ness or Lucas unless there's a Ninten echo.
Kid Icarus might if maybe they go for Medusa as a Palutena echo, not sure if it's likely though.
WarioWare's best bet was Ashley, that's gone now
Unless Louie get's in as an Echo despite Alph being still an Alt, I don't think Pikmin's getting anything either
Only viable Punch-Out rep I could see is if Cross-Series echos are a thing and King Hippo was echoed off K. Rool
Unless you want the Balance board I don't think Wii Fit's getting anything else
Duck Hunt's perfect representation as is
And unless Ms. Pac-Man's an echo there's probably not another Pac-Man rep coming.
And the 3 franchises that don't have any music number changes probably aren't getting newcomers either

So what's left is:

Pokemon: Who has a high shot at getting something from Gen 7.
Xenoblade: If there's one in the base game, Elma's a likely one. Otherwise there is Rex and Pyra by DLC time
Sonic: Who we all can hope for Tails but we also gotta be wary that if music's being saved they could also do Shadow with a theme of his

Though also going by this theory's logic Zelda and Kirby aren't getting a newcomer (Which would be a bummer for the Skull Kid and Bandana Dee fans here).

Besides maybe a few more echoes and/or unrepresented franchise reps coming in, if every one of the franchises that still remain that could get more characters there can only be about 3-4 characters. We could be getting Gen 7 Pokemon, Elma, Tails and/or Shadow (Still being an echo though in case I cause confusion listing Shadow here) as our final batch of newcomers based on this. Which I'm not exactly sure about, maybe include Geno and/or Isaac among the possibilities here. But I can't help but think about not being confident in this exactly being what it actually ends up being.
Well actually, Toon Link was on the Spirit Tracks stage before he was announced, but that was like a different incarnation of Link so it wasn't exactly the same?

As for the other series.
Kid Icarus: Magnus, while unlikely, has yet to be shown as an assist trophy. So there's that. He has his own unique theme.
Pokemon: No Pokemon really has a theme of their own, so they wouldn't really rely on a new song.
Zelda: Depends whether or not Skull kid would need his theme or could use one of the current MM songs in the game.
Kirby: I don't think Bandanna Dee has a theme of his own, so he'd work fine without a new song.

you forgot animal crossing
Your right, I did. Reddit also pointed out to me that I forgot Mario Kart and that Star Fox does have new songs. So I fixed the list.

SonicMario

Smash Master
RelaxAlax mentioned Tails amongst some of his predictions

Granted, it's not like Alax has ever been perfect with predictions (Ex: Ridley playable in Smash 4). And some of his other predictions in this very video are... out there. (Ex: Shadow Mario being an echo, Kiddy Kong from DKC3 as a DLC echo of Donkey Kong, heck those outside of our thread will think getting both Tails and Shadow is out of the question entirely) It's still nice to hear someone who's up there in the Smash community bring up the possibility of Tails even if he admits himself within the video it's kind of crazy/out there.

I definitely feel like most of Alax's predictions might be wrong though some of his base game choices may just be moved to DLC (Banjo as well as Tails I feel could be amongst the DLC choices)

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Indeed! It's still better than nothing that a popular guy like him mentioned Tails in his video. At least now if Tails makes it into the game people won't go "NOBODY SAW THIS COMING!!!" as if Tails was never a possibility in the first place.

The more people we can get to expect/want the character in the game, the better it is for Tails to make it in as DLC if he doesn't make it into the base game.

SonicMario

Smash Master
That's already being called fake. Mainly because of Agnes' (And somewhat Shadow) render looking more painted on then Wario over there. (And I think something about the accent in the name someone pointed out as off too)

Granted if it did turn out real. I'd be fine with it. But so far the jury's verdict is that it's fake thus far.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I too believe it is fake. Nobody really in this day and age really attempts to make these kinds of leaks anymore because of how easily they're proven false.

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
If Tails ever gets in, someone made needs to a screenshot referencing the infamous EGM April Fool's Joke in 2002.

Here's the image in question:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Hey, we’ve got the other characters and the stage for it. Can you imagine EGM publishing it and going “lol we were right!”

I want Tails in so much.

Plus, everyone I mention Tails to is like “oh yeah! He should totally be in!” Hopefully if he ends up stuck in the GHZ loop for vanilla they’ll make him DLC. It’s time.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Reading that alone makes me feel excited and wants that to happen. The idea alone is just amazing. I know that would definitely be nostalgic for some people.
RelaxAlax mentioned Tails amongst some of his predictions

Granted, it's not like Alax has ever been perfect with predictions (Ex: Ridley playable in Smash 4). And some of his other predictions in this very video are... out there. (Ex: Shadow Mario being an echo, Kiddy Kong from DKC3 as a DLC echo of Donkey Kong, heck those outside of our thread will think getting both Tails and Shadow is out of the question entirely) It's still nice to hear someone who's up there in the Smash community bring up the possibility of Tails even if he admits himself within the video it's kind of crazy/out there.

I definitely feel like most of Alax's predictions might be wrong though some of his base game choices may just be moved to DLC (Banjo as well as Tails I feel could be amongst the DLC choices)
Agreed. It's also nice to see someone big in the Smash community backing up the idea of BOTH Shadow and Tails getting in. Though he did get some information wrong, for starter him saying that K. Rool was owned by Rare but he wasn't.
Back to Tails here I think if he is going to get in, his best chances are joining in with Shadow.
Tails also has two of his own games(Tails Skypatrol and Tails' Adventure) which were released on the 3DS so that gives him a bit more of an edge, he's one of the oldest Sonic characters and even IGN themselves wanted Tails in Smash which probably gave Tails more votes then he would have got.
Although I am surprised IGN out of everyone wanted Tails in Smash since they hate Sonic. Unless they just love Tails that much.
Well actually, Toon Link was on the Spirit Tracks stage before he was announced, but that was like a different incarnation of Link so it wasn't exactly the same?.
If we want to get technical in the lore, well yes it is a different Link. But Smash has never really stayed true to lore before.
Also, to point it out, if you play as Dedede in the Dreamland 64 stage he no longer appears in the background.
So yeah background stages don't really matter.
Unleass you're a satge hazard.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
You know I realized something recently. Typically in the Smash games the character select screens are highlighted in different colors for each player (red, blue, yellow and green) it might be interesting if they had a trailer that opened with a red light, and Mario jumps into the picture, then of course he's joined with a blue light where Sonic enters, and Luigi the green light. Then finally a yellow light shines next to them, and they all look to see Tails enter filling in the yellow spot. So now we can have all four gaming icons filling the player spaces with their appropriate colors. It's just a fun little idea I had that seems fitting since Sonic and Tails are blue and yellow buddies, and Mario and Luigi are the red and green buddies.

Top Bottom