• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Will Believe In Myself: Miles "Tails" Prower Support Thread

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
But tails as an echo would hurt tails so much more. Tails doesn't really do homing attacks., he has flight, and all of sonic's kicks and punches would be strange to see coming from tails. Plus tails is way slower then sonic.
I don't really know Sonic games outside of the Genesis era, so Tails as a Sonic echo makes perfect sense to me. He did have the same attacks at that point. Granted now he's evolved to be Sonic's tech guy, but I do like the idea of going back to his roots.

There's something I kinda liked about Tails's spin dash being a ball with a tail poking out.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
I don't really know Sonic games outside of the Genesis era, so Tails as a Sonic echo makes perfect sense to me. He did have the same attacks at that point. Granted now he's evolved to be Sonic's tech guy, but I do like the idea of going back to his roots.

There's something I kinda liked about Tails's spin dash being a ball with a tail poking out.
But tails would lose so much of what he has here. He will need to be the sam-ish hight as sonic. (I believe he is a bit shorter). He will lose his tails flight. I am not saying I don't want him in the game, I do, believe me. But he will be stronger as his own character over an echo. Whereas shadow will not lose as much as tails if he were the echo and tails is the new fighter.

I am confused about why there only has to be ONE more sonic character and that's it. Why can't there be three reps?

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Actually, Tails has done Homing Attacks before and as we've seen with Chrom, Echoes don't have to completely match the original character.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
But tails would lose so much of what he has here. He will need to be the sam-ish hight as sonic. (I believe he is a bit shorter). He will lose his tails flight. I am not saying I don't want him in the game, I do, believe me. But he will be stronger as his own character over an echo. Whereas shadow will not lose as much as tails if he were the echo and tails is the new fighter.

I am confused about why there only has to be ONE more sonic character and that's it. Why can't there be three reps?
I'm up for whatever gets Tails in, honestly. The thing that scares me about Shadow is that he's an easier echo, he's more popular, he's had an assist while Tails has been condemned to the GHZ loop, and people will riot if Sonic gets three reps (people are already bristling at the potential for two). The only things Tails has over Shadow are his age and the Mii costume.

Chrom has shown us that echoes can be as different as Melee clones. Half of the echoes are a different height than the counterpart, and the new echos all have different animations than the parents for some or all moves.

If we get a fully unique Tails, more the better, honestly. Tails does need a tailspin at some point - he'd work well with a Peach-like float.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Really Tails can function with the same moveset as Sonic if they gave him a different recovery ability (tails spinning). He basically function like Sonic in Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Granted, I would like different moves but if they need to clone him to get him in, I would be ok with that as well.

At the very least, I hope the Costume is brought back and improved (just have his normal face and cover the Mii face).

SonicMario

Smash Master

It could happen, but there's that fear in many of us that they'd make Shadow an Echo and call it a day for playable Sonic characters. Especially if Tails not only doesn't gain anything more then he did then in Smash 4 with the cameo on Green Hill Zone on the 3DS version (Brawl was fine of course since it was just exciting to have Sonic himself in Smash) and the Mii costume. If that happens we at least have possibly DLC to look beforehand but then Tails will be competing with Switch-era 1st party characters and other 3rd Parties that may want to come in that probably would be more profitable (Ex: Crash Bandicoot for example). Including from within Sega itself where Sega may want to promote non-Sonic franchises like currently popular ones under ATLUS (Ex: Persona series). Sonic series getting another rep + Bayonetta already would make Sega equal with Konami with characters. I'm not sure they give Sega the special treatment of 4 characters in this game.

We don't know how extensive DLC will be as well. I have no doubt there WILL be DLC. But as for exactly how many characters we get through the service? I can't be sure

I suppose the good news is that there's an argument that gives some hope for Tails. Mostly what I mentioned with Tails getting a Mii costume while Shadow didn't for some reason, and some Mii costumes turned out to either be hints at playable characters (Ex: Inklings, Chrom, King K. Rool) or upgrade to Assist Trophy (Ex: Knuckles, Zero). Why were Tails and Knuckles in particular given mii costumes when Shadow, Eggman, and Amy also could of been good Sonic costumes? Amy might of worked for a swordfighter though would also be a sign Mii costumes weren't too ballot influenced since while I'm sure there had to been fans requesting her out of Sonic fans, would not be as heavy as Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, or Eggman. Mii costumes aren't 100% certainly for anybody but we are at a point where some did turn out to be significant (The K. Rool one especially I feel)

So there's a couple of scenarios for Tails to mull over (All if he gets playable):

If Tails is playable in the base game:
Tails and Knuckles possibly both actually managed to squeak out Shadow for most popular Sonic character in the ballot. Perhaps mainly because people assumed it was for Smash 4 DLC more so then the next game so Assist Trophies were generally considered out of the question. Thus Tails and Knuckles received Mii Costumes. Between Tails and Knuckles themselves, Tails might of gotten higher then Knuckles but they still at least wanted to give Knuckles some respect and thus his Assist Trophy was made. (Notice also that Knuckles seems to be a kind of echo Assist Trophy where for the exception of the uppercut and the dig move. Knuckles has some of Sonic's moves including a homing attack. Rodin also seems to be an echo assist of Bayonetta so it's not like Knuckles is alone)

Meanwhile Tails could be Sonic's echo fighter* instead. (I've said already that they can add something like Peach's float and/or give some kind of gliding recovery to be some of the few differences) Also a reminder at the time of development. Sonic Lost World was still the previous mainline Sonic game (Before you bring up the Boom video games, those were spin-offs. Though even if you count them. Tails was playable in those... even if the game themselves didn't get the best reception) and Tails was in a supporting character role in that much like in Colors and Shadow did not appear at all. Shadow was still in that limbo he's been since Sonic 06 where he hasn't made any significant mainline game appearances aside from the Generations boss so Sega might of still been in the mood to push Tails at the time anyway.

*I don't think a non-echo Tails or Shadow is coming if they're in base game. I just can't see a 2nd Sonic rep getting that much focus

If Tails is DLC:
There's 2 sub-scenarios with this one, though generally this means Shadow and Tails were definitely the Top 2 Sonic characters in the ballot. (Which was higher would be up for debate)
-Shadow's in the base game as an Echo Fighter.
With the bigger emphasis on 3rd parties compared to previous games. They add Shadow as yet another 3rd party echo along with Richter. But they didn't want to leave the Sonic series, a 3rd party series that's been there since Brawl without a little more then just another Sonic. They have Tails among the list of 3rd party characters to add as DLC and let's people choose if they'd like a much more unique Sonic character in their roster other then echo fighter Shadow.
-Shadow's not playable either but also not an assist trophy again
Perhaps either Tails is made the DLC 2nd Sonic rep first and may or may not be an echo or they're planning to make Tails and Shadow some kind of Sonic character pack. Tails is a semi-clone and Shadow is packaged in as a free or discounted price Sonic echo fighter (Or the characters could be vice versa albeit that'd be annoying that the character that looks more similar to Sonic is the semi-clone while Tails who is much more visually different is not as different from Sonic). Those who are really against 3 Sonic reps don't have to buy the pack

Of course I could also mention negative scenarios for why Tails wouldn't be playable (The Mii costumes were simply what Sega chose and just happened to not choose Shadow as a costume for whatever reason, Shadow was significantly more requested in the ballot and even Knuckles was ahead of him by a good margin, and of course that despite Castlevania getting two reps immediately they just don't give Sonic a 2nd rep at all and they move towards a different Sega owned franchise if Sega receives another character. As said before probably something from ATLUS like the Persona series) but probably don't want to go too deep into it as to make ourselves all sad, heh.)

YoYoFantaFanta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoyofantafanta
3DS FC
4914-3889-8963
I'd love to see Tails in, can I join the support list?

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord

I never got the aversion to multiple Sonic characters when the big three (or four counting Shadow) are pretty much household names. It's not like they'd ever consider putting in unpopular, one-off or side characters; characters like Tails and Eggman are as big and as much as part of the gaming culture as Luigi and Bowser respectively. Knuckles is also very beloved, but he's an AT so he's out of the running, and Shadow is very popular and easy to port over Sonic. Plus, for those who absolutely need it to be Nintendo-related, what other third party series has as much connection to the Big N, both as rival and ally, than this one?

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
I never got the aversion to multiple Sonic characters when the big three (or four counting Shadow) are pretty much household names. It's not like they'd ever consider putting in unpopular, one-off or side characters; characters like Tails and Eggman are as big and as much as part of the gaming culture as Luigi and Bowser respectively. Knuckles is also very beloved, but he's an AT so he's out of the running, and Shadow is very popular and easy to port over Sonic. Plus, for those who absolutely need it to be Nintendo-related, what other third-party series has as much connection to the Big N, both as rival and ally, than this one?
I agree I think it may be the "Nintendo elitist mindset." Smash is a Nintendo game celebrating Nintendo franchise and Sonic is in the game so we should be lucky and shut up. But Sonic has become more than a third party. With EXCLUSIVE Nintendo games and a Mario & Sonic crossover series, Sonic has become so much more than just a third party rep. You are right Sonic has so many recognizable characters with the casual fan base. Tails, Dr. Eggman could be easily recognized by a lesser gamer over the likes of Richter and some of the FE. If they want smash to also be played by casuals (which they do) could help with recognizability.

At this point, I am hopeful for just one more character. But adding Tails could add something for the, not as hardcore gamers and Shadow could be an easy port over sonic. Eggman could be a boss (boss representation is better than no representation). And Silver.... well, he just will stick to Greenhill Zone.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I agree I think it may be the "Nintendo elitist mindset." Smash is a Nintendo game celebrating Nintendo franchise and Sonic is in the game so we should be lucky and shut up. But Sonic has become more than a third party. With EXCLUSIVE Nintendo games and a Mario & Sonic crossover series, Sonic has become so much more than just a third party rep. You are right Sonic has so many recognizable characters with the casual fan base. Tails, Dr. Eggman could be easily recognized by a lesser gamer over the likes of Richter and some of the FE. If they want smash to also be played by casuals (which they do) could help with recognizability.

At this point, I am hopeful for just one more character. But adding Tails could add something for the, not as hardcore gamers and Shadow could be an easy port over sonic. Eggman could be a boss (boss representation is better than no representation). And Silver.... well, he just will stick to Greenhill Zone.
I agree fully.

Sonic, both the series and character, share a strong history with Nintendo all the way down to the conception. He was created specifically to beat Nintendo at their own game. Sonic was marketed as the direct rival to Mario and not one kid from the early-to-mid 90's wasn't aware of that rivalry. And when direct competition didn't quite go their way, Sonic became one of the biggest supporters of Nintendo hardware. Even during the Wii U slump, there were Sonic games made for it, including exclusive titles. How many other characters, or series, have crossed over with Mario outside of Smash, and Sonic has done it multiple times. Nintendo is as much a part of Sonic as Sega is, and it just feels wrong for a series as recognizable as that of Sonic to only be restricted to one fighter.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
I agree fully.

Sonic, both the series and character, share a strong history with Nintendo all the way down to the conception. He was created specifically to beat Nintendo at their own game. Sonic was marketed as the direct rival to Mario and not one kid from the early-to-mid 90's wasn't aware of that rivalry. And when direct competition didn't quite go their way, Sonic became one of the biggest supporters of Nintendo hardware. Even during the Wii U slump, there were Sonic games made for it, including exclusive titles. How many other characters, or series, have crossed over with Mario outside of Smash, and Sonic has done it multiple times. Nintendo is as much a part of Sonic as Sega is, and it just feels wrong for a series as recognizable as that of Sonic to only be restricted to one fighter.
I have a feeling we are getting a second sonic rep at this point. It would be strange for sonic to get 1 while castlevania has two reps and sonic who has been in since brawl. As for who it is is unknown.

The thing I want is more then just two. I am not asking for 8 or anything but 4 characters could represent the sonic verse well. Sonic, Shadow, Tails would make a great 3 and (Amy, Dr. Eggman, Silver (I can only dream) Knuckles) could make a great 4th.

The good news is these characters have been in Green Hill Zone, have trophies or stickers. So its not like the team does not know about then.

But I imagine there will be a huge uproar. Even having just 2 is pushing it with some anti-sonic people.

I guess we have to see where time goes. I wish shadow and tails would just be announced already so we can move foward with the potential as a third rep. For now, we are kind of stuck in this limbo where we cant decide who should be the second rep

I hope we get many waves of DLC and maybe even a Smash X Sonic series DLC. I know the demand is high.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Simply because Simon recently came with an extra character. Much of the Smash fanbase is that close-minded.
Yeah, I know. And I do want other Nintendo characters like Chibi-Robo and Banjo but I feel like its almost hypocritical. We can have multiple sword people from FE but because its 1st party. But having 3 sonic characters who can play uniquely + 1 echo is horrible because he is 3rd party is just baffling to me.

Chrono.

Seeing as how Tails has been my most wanted character for ages now, I thought I'd come out of the social thread hole and drop by here to say that I support the little guy.

Mostly because I feel he has a real shot this time as opposed to 4 where he was but a pipedream for me.

Iridium

Smash Hero
So, this is the first support thread I've made a post on. What exactly do I do here?

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Marth - Sonic
Lucina - Shadow
Roy - Tails
Chrom - ?

How is this comparison? Would you guys be happy with this analogy if real to Smash U?

SonicMario

Smash Master
Marth - Sonic
Lucina - Shadow
Roy - Tails
Chrom - ?

How is this comparison? Would you guys be happy with this analogy if real to Smash U?
...I don't get how this applies at all? Tails came much earlier in his series compared to Roy

Only Mario really has some solid comparisons with Sonic and Tails being the Mario and Luigi equivalents of their series respectively. Though Mario doesn't really have a Shadow equivalent. I used to apply Shadow to Wario but really thinking about it. Wario being compared to Knuckles is alot more apt. Even if Wario's a tad more on the evil scale then Knuckles, who antagonized Sonic only in cases where he was tricked.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
...I don't get how this applies at all? Tails came much earlier in his series compared to Roy

Only Mario really has some solid comparisons with Sonic and Tails being the Mario and Luigi equivalents of their series respectively. Though Mario doesn't really have a Shadow equivalent. I used to apply Shadow to Wario but really thinking about it. Wario being compared to Knuckles is alot more apt. Even if Wario's a tad more on the evil scale then Knuckles, who antagonized Sonic only in cases where he was tricked.
I am saying there can be Sonic (let's say Marth) and Shadow can be the equivalent to Lucina. Then tails can be a semi clone like Roy. Just adding some conversation.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I am saying there can be Sonic (let's say Marth) and Shadow can be the equivalent to Lucina. Then tails can be a semi clone like Roy. Just adding some conversation.
Oh I see what you mean. Didn't quite make that clear. Though the only Sonic characters that would be the equivalent of Chrom then if Roy is Tails in this scenario then is Cream the Rabbit or Ray the Squirrel (Both have some ability of flight). Neither have a sliver of a chance at Smash.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am honestly hoping for both Tails and Shadows as echos/semi-echos of Sonic. That would be amazing. I hope they bring back the Knuckles costume as well.

Chrono.

I actually feel like both Tails and Shadow will make it in, just a hunch/wishful thinking.

That and the DLC Mii Costume "theory" being the most solid "evidence" in Tails' favor.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
I actually feel like both Tails and Shadow will make it in, just a hunch/wishful thinking.

That and the DLC Mii Costume "theory" being the most solid "evidence" in Tails' favor.
Maybe they could. I hope they both get in.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Throw me on that list! Tails has always been one I've wanted, and seeing the Knuckles AT makes me feel like he's missing.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I am honestly hoping for both Tails and Shadows as echos/semi-echos of Sonic. That would be amazing. I hope they bring back the Knuckles costume as well.
While I could take that if I must. I think we can only get one echo per character. It's not impossible I guess since you could just swap all three characters in a cycle when stacked and when separate they'd all be there. But nonetheless would be a little odd for characters to get two echoes. Not to mention make people afraid Fire Emblem could get yet another Marth-like character heh.

I sure hope you're right. No matter what this is definitely the ultimate Smash game and I'll be getting it happy as can be. Sonic-wise though I would be a bit bummed Shadow made it in as playable even as just an echo, Knuckles got upgraded to Assist, and Tails gets literally nothing more then he did in Smash 4.

I may have been the one to bring up the mii costumes at least a couple of times in this thread. But there's still that fear of mine about this that I can't help but think about.

Last edited:

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
While I could take that if I must. I think we can only get one echo per character. It's not impossible I guess since you could just swap all three characters in a cycle when stacked and when separate they'd all be there. But nonetheless would be a little odd for characters to get two echoes. Not to mention make people afraid Fire Emblem could get yet another Marth-like character heh.

I sure hope you're right. No matter what this is definitely the ultimate Smash game and I'll be getting it happy as can be. Sonic-wise though I would be a bit bummed Shadow made it in as playable even as just an echo, Knuckles got upgraded to Assist, and Tails gets literally nothing more then he did in Smash 4.

I may have been the one to bring up the mii costumes at least a couple of times in this thread. But there's still that fear of mine about this that I can't help but think about.
Does any one have a list of all the Mii costumes and what there status is now? Are they playable characters? AT? Nothing yet?

Thanks!

Chrono.

Does any one have a list of all the Mii costumes and what there status is now? Are they playable characters? AT? Nothing yet?

Thanks!
I actually made one in another thread lol.

I'll just... Copy/paste it here.

Mii Fighter cameo gear that have roles in both 4 and/or in Ultimate
  • Link - playable character (lol)
  • Majora's Mask - It's just the mask and not Skull Kid, but I'll still count it as him. AT in 4, MIA in Ultimate.
  • Mega Man X - Mega Man's Final Smash in both games
  • Protoman - Absent in 4, added to Mega Man's Final Smash in Ultimate
  • Dunban - Shulk's Final Smash in both games
  • Isabelle - Assist Trophy in 4, MIA in Ultimate. Strong chance of showing up playable.
  • Zero - Absent in 4, added in Ultimate as an Assist Trophy
  • Inkling - Absent in 4, playable character in Ultimate
  • MegaMan.EXE - Mega Man's Final Smash in both games
  • King K. Rool - Absent in 4, playable character in Ultimate
  • Chrom - Robin's Final Smash in 4, upgraded to playable in Ultimate
  • Samus - lol
  • Flying Man - Magicant's "boss" in both 4 and Ultimate.
  • Rathalos Armor - I'm.... Gonna count this as an Assist Trophy/Boss, even if it's the actual Rath and not the hunter wearing the armor.
  • Fox - 20XX
  • Captain Falcon - Oh come on
  • Ashley - Assist Trophy in both games
  • Knuckles - Assist Trophy in Ultimate
  • Takamaru - Assist Trophy in both games
And now we move on to Mii Fighter cameo gear whose character they're based of have yet to show up in Ultimate. And quick thoughts on them
  • Heihachi Mishima - Tekken character. Sakurai wanted him in 4, for what it's worth... I'd prefer Jin, but the old man is cool too.
  • Akira Yuuki - Virtua Fighter character. Don't really know VF enough to comment on him. I will say that VF is a rather important series, even if Tekken upstaged it. Could see them show up in some capacity (mostly as an AT, as SEGA could still sneak in another franchise for one).
  • Jacky Bryant - Virtua Fighter character. See above.
  • Black Knight - Fire Emblem character. Possible Ike echo in the future?
  • Lloyd Irving - Tales of character. He's pretty popular alright, not sure if they'd actually pull the trigger, but I'd welcome him.
  • Monster Hunter - ...Monster Hunter... character. I mean, probably? Expect them to wear the Rathalos armor if they're playable or an AT lol.
  • Viridi - Kid Icarus character. Not really sure where she stands. I'd like to see her in a way that's not just a background, AT feels realistic.
  • Toad - Mario character. He got a more proactive role in Peach's moveset now, I'd consider that an upgrade. The Captain, meanwhile, is a stage element, but that's never hurt anyone that's not a boss before.
  • Geno - Mario character. This is the best shot he's ever had, to say the least. Don't really know him or Mario RPG, but I welcome him just because he'd make a lot of people happy.
  • Chocobo - Final Fantasy character. Yeaaaaaaaah... No. FF still has the bare minimum of content in Ultimate. I feel that Sakurai already jumped through hoops to get Cloud alone, and it's gonna stay that way.
  • Gilgamesh - Tower of Druaga character. Rather obscure, yet, classic character from an old Namco arcade RPG. Tbh I'm shocked we haven't seen him as an Assist Trophy yet.
  • Tails - Sonic character. Oof... Imma be biased as **** and say this is Tails' best shot to be playable. He could still show up as an Assist Trophy (or not at all), but I find it weird how much they've been focusing on Knuckles, if that's the case. Either way, if there were ever a time for Tails fans (me) to be hopeful, it's now.
That's about it.

I might do something similar later with the ATs we haven't seen yet.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
I actually made one in another thread lol.

I'll just... Copy/paste it here.

Mii Fighter cameo gear that have roles in both 4 and/or in Ultimate
  • Link - playable character (lol)
  • Majora's Mask - It's just the mask and not Skull Kid, but I'll still count it as him. AT in 4, MIA in Ultimate.
  • Mega Man X - Mega Man's Final Smash in both games
  • Protoman - Absent in 4, added to Mega Man's Final Smash in Ultimate
  • Dunban - Shulk's Final Smash in both games
  • Isabelle - Assist Trophy in 4, MIA in Ultimate. Strong chance of showing up playable.
  • Zero - Absent in 4, added in Ultimate as an Assist Trophy
  • Inkling - Absent in 4, playable character in Ultimate
  • MegaMan.EXE - Mega Man's Final Smash in both games
  • King K. Rool - Absent in 4, playable character in Ultimate
  • Chrom - Robin's Final Smash in 4, upgraded to playable in Ultimate
  • Samus - lol
  • Flying Man - Magicant's "boss" in both 4 and Ultimate.
  • Rathalos Armor - I'm.... Gonna count this as an Assist Trophy/Boss, even if it's the actual Rath and not the hunter wearing the armor.
  • Fox - 20XX
  • Captain Falcon - Oh come on
  • Ashley - Assist Trophy in both games
  • Knuckles - Assist Trophy in Ultimate
  • Takamaru - Assist Trophy in both games
And now we move on to Mii Fighter cameo gear whose character they're based of have yet to show up in Ultimate. And quick thoughts on them
  • Heihachi Mishima - Tekken character. Sakurai wanted him in 4, for what it's worth... I'd prefer Jin, but the old man is cool too.
  • Akira Yuuki - Virtua Fighter character. Don't really know VF enough to comment on him. I will say that VF is a rather important series, even if Tekken upstaged it. Could see them show up in some capacity (mostly as an AT, as SEGA could still sneak in another franchise for one).
  • Jacky Bryant - Virtua Fighter character. See above.
  • Black Knight - Fire Emblem character. Possible Ike echo in the future?
  • Lloyd Irving - Tales of character. He's pretty popular alright, not sure if they'd actually pull the trigger, but I'd welcome him.
  • Monster Hunter - ...Monster Hunter... character. I mean, probably? Expect them to wear the Rathalos armor if they're playable or an AT lol.
  • Viridi - Kid Icarus character. Not really sure where she stands. I'd like to see her in a way that's not just a background, AT feels realistic.
  • Toad - Mario character. He got a more proactive role in Peach's moveset now, I'd consider that an upgrade. The Captain, meanwhile, is a stage element, but that's never hurt anyone that's not a boss before.
  • Geno - Mario character. This is the best shot he's ever had, to say the least. Don't really know him or Mario RPG, but I welcome him just because he'd make a lot of people happy.
  • Chocobo - Final Fantasy character. Yeaaaaaaaah... No. FF still has the bare minimum of content in Ultimate. I feel that Sakurai already jumped through hoops to get Cloud alone, and it's gonna stay that way.
  • Gilgamesh - Tower of Druaga character. Rather obscure, yet, classic character from an old Namco arcade RPG. Tbh I'm shocked we haven't seen him as an Assist Trophy yet.
  • Tails - Sonic character. Oof... Imma be biased as **** and say this is Tails' best shot to be playable. He could still show up as an Assist Trophy (or not at all), but I find it weird how much they've been focusing on Knuckles, if that's the case. Either way, if there were ever a time for Tails fans (me) to be hopeful, it's now.
That's about it.

I might do something similar later with the ATs we haven't seen yet.
Cheers man! Thank you for that.

Tails is in a strange place right now. You would think that Tails would be the one replacing Shadow as the Assist trophy. But knuckles got in instead. However, this could mean that Knuckles did better in the polls. I think project M had something to do with it.

The good news for Tails is Shadow has not been announced. And I mean not in Tails would be the echo over shadow but maybe their announcement trialers are together.

If tails is annouced as a non echo and shadow is not in that direct then maybe peoples theories about an echo being the next direct after the new character may be true. Maybe they don't wanna announce two characters from the same series in one direct.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Yeah while Mii costumes haven't quite worked out for everybody especially Takamaru and Ashley who are both still Assist Trophies. And there are cases where the characters likely aren't going to get more then they already had (I speak of mostly Gil and the Virtua Fighter characters). There's still decent enough evidence to say some Mii costumes were an indicator of things (Probably most especially K. Rool).

The only question is either if Tails and Knuckles were simply all that Sega allowed or if they were actually indicative of some high support in the ballot. We'll likely never find out for sure.

But what we can't doubt is that Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow are probably the Top 3 choices for the next Sonic rep. Knuckles is already an Assist Trophy, Shadow is still unknown at the moment, and while Tails has been seen already in the background of Green Hill Zone it's not exactly an automatic deconfirmation being that it's an old stage. (If it was say a brand new stage and Tails was in the background then yeah I'd say it is just like with Captain Toad. But no it's the exact same stage from Brawl. And Tails, Knuckles, and SIlver are all there for the same reasons they originally were in back in Brawl. Since there was no way they were going to put more then one rep of Sonic when Sonic himself was going to be exciting enough).

No disrespect meant to say Eggman who probably follows after all three, but he feels like a character that'd be more complicated to pin down a moveset for and would likely better serve as a boss. It'd be really cool if he was a boss in this new Spirits mode coming up.

Chrono.

Cheers man! Thank you for that.

Tails is in a strange place right now. You would think that Tails would be the one replacing Shadow as the Assist trophy. But knuckles got in instead. However, this could mean that Knuckles did better in the polls. I think project M had something to do with it.

The good news for Tails is Shadow has not been announced. And I mean not in Tails would be the echo over shadow but maybe their announcement trialers are together.

If tails is annouced as a non echo and shadow is not in that direct then maybe peoples theories about an echo being the next direct after the new character may be true. Maybe they don't wanna announce two characters from the same series in one direct.
I see a couple scenarios coming out of this.
  • Tails and Shadow both are indeed playable (with one of them pulling a lot from Sonic, likely Shadow.)
  • Shadow is playable, Tails isn't and is instead an Assist Trophy that was just revealed later.
  • Shadow is playable, Tails is not and is still just a regular Trophy/background element.
  • Tails is playable, Shadow somehow isn't.
  • Neither Shadow or Tails are playable and Knuckles replaced Shadow just because (or maybe Shadow is still an AT lol.)
If we follow the logic that the Mii Fighter outfits (at least post Ballot ones if we wanna get specific) were for characters that have decent popularity as a consolation prize, then it'd be pretty weird to give Knuckles an AT while Tails gets nothing. But one could also argue that maybe Tails placed too low for an even AT, or maybe Sakurai just thought Knuckles (and Shadow if he's playable) were better suited, or maybe the madman did it and he's really playable in this one. It's all conjecture at this point.

Imma keep hope alive though lol.

Last edited:

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
  • Tails and Shadow both are indeed playable (with one of them pulling a lot from Sonic, likely Shadow.)
  • Shadow is playable, Tails isn't and is instead an Assist Trophy that was just revealed later.
  • Shadow is playable, Tails is not and is still just a regular Trophy/background element.
  • Neither Shadow or Tails are playable and Knuckles replaced Shadow just because (or maybe Shadow is still an AT lol.)
If we follow the logic that the Mii Fighter outfits (at least post Ballot ones if we wanna get specific) were for characters that have decent popularity as a consolation prize, then it'd be pretty weird to give Knuckles an AT while Tails gets nothing. But one could also argue that maybe Tails placed too low for an even AT, or maybe Sakurai just thought Knuckles (and Shadow if he's playable) were better suited, or maybe the madman did it and he's really playable in this one. It's all conjecture at this point.

I do hope it's the case of the 1st one but I doubt it.

Honestly I can see shadow being an echo and Tails being maybe DLC. But I doubt it sadly.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

I can't see both getting cut. I could see Shadow staying an AT, but that seems unlikely. I tend to be pessimistic, so #3 looks the most likely and I don't like that in the slightest. As long as Tails gets in, I don't care is Shadow is or not.

I do favor Tails getting some ball attack though. I see the Sonic moveset as borrowing a lot from his early games, and I'd prefer Tails to also borrow from the early games so Shadow can take the later ones.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
One advantage Tails has over Shadow is that he got a Mii Fighter costume in Smash 4 while Shadow did not.

Top Bottom