• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I play Bowser again - have some vids *shrug*

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
This was my first time playing in like 5 weeks, so I'm a bit rusty, I'll try to get some more stuff for ya'll at the next tourney.

My playstyle has changed quite a lot from these, but they are still pretty cool vids I guess...

Also not all of my matches were recorded, there were a few more matches at this tourney.

Anyways, here you go.

vs Eric O (Ike)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgWB28BKPd8 ***This is my personal favorite video, for obvoius reasons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-jmJodghvk

vs Romeo (D3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOTrYOAa-Ok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaFx358-67g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8PnTwcacpw

vs Dennis the Camper (Sonic/Lucario)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H2fbk8KVVI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNfoeBzzalo

vs Bigfoot (DK)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq67E422sRM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAn2a6cdfQA

vs Recipherus (Lucas)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I5R8jSZXzs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjZNftu1txo

vs Futile (Wario)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4vGui6DjW0
The 2nd match I went Metaknight, it's been 5 weeks since I last played, I was curious ;P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I20GMkkSTvw

That's all for now *shrug*

Azuriken

Smash Apprentice
Yo where do you get off telling me my Kirby thread isn't important so LOCKED? There was nothing wrong with it and I was just expressing a point about my favorite character. People shouldn't think Kirby is a girl if they main him. Not only that, but not a single person flamed me before you locked it. AND not only that, three Kirby mainers challenged my claim of being one of the best Kirby players. You just took that all away for no reason. What you just didn't like the topic sooo LOCKED? That bogus man and you're just power trippin'.

Chrono Centaur

Smash Apprentice
Yo where do you get off telling me my Kirby thread isn't important so LOCKED? There was nothing wrong with it and I was just expressing a point about my favorite character. People shouldn't think Kirby is a girl if they main him. Not only that, but not a single person flamed me before you locked it. AND not only that, three Kirby mainers challenged my claim of being one of the best Kirby players. You just took that all away for no reason. What you just didn't like the topic sooo LOCKED? That bogus man and you're just power trippin'.
For the love of god PM a mod with your whining, we don't want to hear stupidity here. Please? for all of us. thanks.

gonna go watch the video and try to see how to play Bowser better.

EDIT: saw the match between Dennis, that was pretty nice there with the mindgaming and stuff

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
Forum stalker says BAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
awesome glad to see you playing bowser again, watched most of the vids good stuff gimpy

How'd you place at this tournament? Futile usually is in the top 4 at every tournament in SoCal he goes to.. haha

Are you going to go like Melee Bowser exclusive in tournament, or use Metaknight aswell?

Pringer X

Smash Rookie
Those were really nice. The first match vs. Ike was awesome, but I think the matches vs. the DK were the best because they were really close. That Lucas was a crazy spammer, though. I was thinking of turning my volume down because it was getting annoying hearing "PK FIRE" over and over again. :p

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
Good brawls but that one brawl with Dennis didn't deserve that disclaimer at the beginning. I fail to see how playing smart/defensive gives him such a big label.

Thats something a scrub player would do. Their was nothing wrong with his tactic of play and if their is then I guess we could say the infinity jump with Bowser is "cheap" as well seeing its a glitch. (and we all know its a glitch)

A good player finds away around different tactics, he doesn't complain about them.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Gimpy, are you playing with these folks locally or online?

Great matches, by the way, and I love how you always pop the balloons in the AC level. Points for style. :)

EDIT: I may have answered my own question: these appear to all be tourney vids.

FerretStyle

Smash Apprentice
Good brawls but that one brawl with Dennis didn't deserve that disclaimer at the beginning. I fail to see how playing smart/defensive gives him such a big label.

Thats something a scrub player would do. Their was nothing wrong with his tactic of play and if their is then I guess we could say the infinity jump with Bowser is "cheap" as well seeing its a glitch. (and we all know its a glitch)

A good player finds away around different tactics, he doesn't complain about them.
You could say he was using "defensive tactics" with Lucario. Which is fine, since at least he had a projectile to throw. And actually, that match didn't bother me at all. But what he did with Sonic? He just sat there doing nothing a good amount of the time.

The way I see it... there's mindgames, and then there's being a god****ed ******. And that wasn't mindgames.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
You could say he was using "defensive tactics" with Lucario. Which is fine, since at least he had a projectile to throw. And actually, that match didn't bother me at all. But what he did with Sonic? He just sat there doing nothing a good amount of the time.

The way I see it... there's mindgames, and then there's being a god****ed ******. And that wasn't mindgames.
Then why complain? If he was being "********"and sitting their doing nothing beat him quick and be done with it. I hardly see a point in making a while disclaimer dedicated to him.

If I was playing that Sonic against a good Bowser I wouldn't be running right into him. Bowser has more priority, more range, and more power over Sonic. Not to mention his Fire breath.

I would have been looking for chances to strike where I see fit and not just attack,attack,attack. Could care less what others thought about me as long as I played the match to the best of my knowledge. Even if its spamming Spin Dash over and over if I see it working you best believe Ima keep doing it.

Thats just how I roll.

DwaynBibad

Smash Cadet
Then why complain? If he was being "********"and sitting their doing nothing beat him quick and be done with it. I hardly see a point in making a while disclaimer dedicated to him.

If I was playing that Sonic against a good Bowser I wouldn't be running right into him. Bowser has more priority, more range, and more power over Sonic. Not to mention his Fire breath.

I would have been looking for chances to strike where I see fit and not just attack,attack,attack. Could care less what others thought about me as long as I played the match to the best of my knowledge. Even if its spamming Spin Dash over and over if I see it working you best believe Ima keep doing it.

Thats just how I roll.
I really want to agree with you, but after watching the video, there's really no defending that Sonic player. What FerretStyle was trying to say is that some characters were built for camping (Pit, Space Animals, Snake) and other characters are designed to be more offensive (Metaknight, Zamus, Sonic) but it's up to how the player skills to make effective use of their character.

Dennis the Camper is a suitable name for a person that simply loves to camp, regardless of who he's playing with. When you go up against a highly respected player like Gimpyfish you better have some skills, and that player didn't have the skills to win with Sonic so he tried to annoy Gimpyfish to death with camping. Thankfully in the end the character with the most skill won out, and that player was clearly Gimpyfish.

fyi, that's just my opinion of watching the video, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
GIMPY!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice to see you back, although I'm curious as to why... Didn't you play MK?

@kirby person: ? ever heard of PMs? There's a great way to talk to someone personally, so that you don't look like a douche or an idiot. In this case you are coming across as both.

chili

Smash Cadet
Awesome vids, these inspired me to stick with Bowser.

I was thinking of switching characters.

FerretStyle

Smash Apprentice
I really want to agree with you, but after watching the video, there's really no defending that Sonic player. What FerretStyle was trying to say is that some characters were built for camping (Pit, Space Animals, Snake) and other characters are designed to be more offensive (Metaknight, Zamus, Sonic) but it's up to how the player skills to make effective use of their character.
Thanks for putting it in nicer words :laugh:

To expand on that a bit: if you think it's acceptable for one player to stand around doing nothing, then to be fair it must be acceptable for both players to stand around doing nothing. And if you still can't see what's wrong with that strategy then I'm afraid it would be a waste of time trying to explain it to you.

Anyway, that might be getting a bit off-topic, but I do have a question for Gimpy. I notice you never downsmash, ever. Why is this? I've found it to be fairly powerful, doing more damage than the fortress (on the ground) and with decent KO power. I see most Bowser players use it occasionally, except you... so I am just curious.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
GIMPY!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice to see you back, although I'm curious as to why... Didn't you play MK?
I asked him at one of the Brawl tournaments before Brawl came out here in the US if he was going to play Bowser again, and what he told me was he was waiting for Brawl to come in the US so he had his own copy so he could work on his Bowser before using him in tournaments.

I don't know if hes going to go bowser exclusive in tournament again or have metaknight as a backup character this is just what he told me in person months ago

Beo

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for putting it in nicer words :laugh:

To expand on that a bit: if you think it's acceptable for one player to stand around doing nothing, then to be fair it must be acceptable for both players to stand around doing nothing. And if you still can't see what's wrong with that strategy then I'm afraid it would be a waste of time trying to explain it to you.

Anyway, that might be getting a bit off-topic, but I do have a question for Gimpy. I notice you never downsmash, ever. Why is this? I've found it to be fairly powerful, doing more damage than the fortress (on the ground) and with decent KO power. I see most Bowser players use it occasionally, except you... so I am just curious.
Yeah, I use D Smash alot, problably more then I should. But it's such a solid skill, exelent KO Power too. Easily punishable if you miss, but so are most of Bowsers moves. :|

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Great seeing some vids of you again. I hope you keep playing Brawl (even though Melee is still better.) If anyone's going to make Bowser tournament worthy it'll be you. Please find a way to escape Dedede's infinite chaingrab against Bowser. I feel so awful killing someone with it...

Cero

Smash Lord
I was watching these tourney vids just the other day-didn't know there was a thread for them
good siht Gimpy, and nice to know that you're going Bowser again :)
your Bowser really is **** (in melee and brawl)
oh, and lol @ the Ike **** in the first 2 vids :laugh:

R i p

Smash Cadet
The PK Fire spammer was several times worse than Dennis. God almighty, if someone did that while standing next to me.

So is Gimpy really banned or is that a title or something? Anyway, what controller set up you use? I have a very hard time doing aerials with my current one(nunchuck), and plan on making a switch. I'm curious which is a good one(Classic or Gamecube) / what people good with bowser prefer.

Wombat-Slayer

Smash Cadet
I feel really proud of myself..

I started using Bowser recently, and after watching these, I actually learned very little! Gimpy was amazing, but I do all those things already... you just do them better :]

Either way, D+B sitting onto the ledge is so hard :/ I kill myself trying to do it a lot, but it's a life saver when I get it right

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
theres not really anything difficult to learn in brawl though XD\

oh and shield drop dsmash is too good, i just forget about it most of the time haha

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I don't know about that Gimpy as I'm still unable to really do a dash attack cancel consistently

It's so frickin hard to do with Sheik so there are a few things to learn. Then again, I'm pretty sure Bowser doesn't really have a use for the dash attack cancel so I guess your right as far as Bowser goes.

wakka444

Smash Ace
*shrugs*...YAY fun vids, im curious if i was fooled by your fairfairfairfair bc it almost to be comboesk but im no fool.....

Gill

Smash Journeyman
Dude, please don't drop Bowser. The matches you put on with him are shockingly entertaining to watch. Your matches always give me the urge to pick up Bowser. Too bad I already have a ton of mains. *Points at sig.* :p

The way you apply klawhopping is really interesting too btw, it gives Bowser unpredictability.

Loyal2NES

Smash Rookie
You really need to stick with Bowser dude. It's the big, bad guys who always make for the most epic matches. And you know VERY well how to make Epic of your matches.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
5 weeks!? You havent played Bowser for 5 weeks and I still think your Bowser is better than mine! You'd never see me do that f-air combo that you did to Ike.
I really want to play you sometime, and you could teach me a few things.
Maybe it's because I'm playing on wifi... but idk...
Though I got plenty of replays of some of my battles (wifi) I dont think it's just enough.
I'm willing to take some lessons from you if i have to get better with Bowser.

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
Great stuff man! Reppin' the koopa krew once again! Keep up the awesome Gimpy

Mike35

Smash Cadet
I don't really see what was wrong with how Dennis was playing as Sonic. He'd run out of range and then he'd come forward and pick his shots. It may or may not have been the best strategy for him, but whatever the case, that's how he played and it's up to the opponent to beat him (which in this case, he did, but that isn't really the point).

If he'd played aggressively and lost even worse, would that make him a better player? If he'd played even more defensively and he'd won, would he be flat out terrible? That's backwards logic, IMO. Play however you want to play but be prepared to deal with people who use a strategy that you may find "annoying." If it's a bad strategy, you should have no trouble beating them. But if the game favors this type of player, or in some cases you're just outclassed, and you have trouble beating them, either try to find a way around it, or play a different game. That's my take on it anyway.

I'm directing this toward the people complaining about him, not necessarily Gimpy, as I really haven't seen him complain about him at all.

EDIT: Watching this video again, I actually see even less reason to complain. The match starts, and Gimpy starts by using fire breath, an attack that would only work in Sonic approaches and runs right into it. He also uses Ftilt and Fair when Sonic isn't in range quite a few times. I don't play Sonic often, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these moves out prioritize anything Sonic has. Would blindly rushing into Bowser standing or coming forward with these moves be a good idea? I'm not sure myself, but this player apparently thought it wasn't. That, to me, seems like it could be playing right into Bowser's strength.

Not to mention the match starts with a Bowser suicide a few seconds in. Maybe the Sonic player was "camping" to try to avoid it? If he was, he may have been right, considering the second kill was a suicide too. I mean, from his perspective, this could possibly have been seen as "annoying." But I'm not sure if he's whining about it the same way people here are whining about his defensive style.

I actually don't see anything wrong with what Dennis did, other than lose.

Beo

Smash Apprentice
I don't quite get the Inf Jump tactic, unless you're playing a Snake and don't know where his mines are or something :|

Chrono Centaur

Smash Apprentice
Yeah that whole Dennis thing is scrub mentality at its finest.
^ truth

scrub nubs need to stop kissing *** to Gimpy and play the game, really, I like how he plays but saying "you need to play a certain way against him because he's GIMPY OMFG" is just being ********, and moreso, limiting your options. I don't need to link to Sirlin, rite?

Top Bottom