• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need help vs the Snake match-up

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
I'm getting tired of losing to Ally in every Canadian tourney, I come close all the time but it's no use. He makes it seem like Snake has the advantage over ROB by a huge margin. I can't hit him with projectiles because he blocks everything and most of the time he just counter me with grenades. Glide toss are useless, he rarely fall for one and counter them everytime. His grabs outrange me by using that gay grab AT and he proceed to destroy me with dgrab techchase, ROB techroll is too crappy to do anything about it. But the worst part is killing him, I've come to the conclusion that ROB is too weak kill Snake. When you see Snake surviving fresh nair/bair at 150% you know something is wrong and the only thing he needs his a fresh uptilt around the 100-110% range and ROB is done for. Only effective thing is grabbing Snake out of his slow *** landing to rack dmg but even there killing is the hard part, I can't kill him fast enough. Sometimes he even proceed to 2 stock me because I can't finish him off while he rack dmg with grenades by camping to the other side of the stages or just using infinite dgrab near a ledge or a platform and I can't do anything about it. What do I do to win with ROB? Camping doesn't work so I'm wondering.

Azuzu

Smash Cadet
Out of curiousity, are there any videos of you vs ally? The only ones I can really find on youtube seems to be super old.

Also, discussing strats to beat ally, that ally is reading, may not work, haha.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
Out of curiousity, are there any videos of you vs ally? The only ones I can really find on youtube seems to be super old.

Also, discussing strats to beat ally, that ally is reading, may not work, haha.
Considering ally type his name on the search bar everyday to get his daily praise by ppl, you're right. I can't even get advices without him following me everywhere which is why I never post on the ROB board. I guess I shouln't have tried rofl.
Yeah but the videos never end up being posted, it's a shame.

Jenkins

Smash Lord
you guys are the TOP players in with your characters.....who's going to give you advice on how to beat someone they'll never come close to beating?

like they know the matchup.

this is kinda pointless, you'll just have to keep fighing him until you find an effective fighting style.

or you could team up and **** the DUBLES ladder!?!?!?!?!?! :psycho:

Azuzu

Smash Cadet
you guys are the TOP players in with your characters.....who's going to give you advice on how to beat someone they'll never come close to beating?

like they know the matchup.

this is kinda pointless, you'll just have to keep fighing him until you find an effective fighting style.

or you could team up and **** the DUBLES ladder!?!?!?!?!?!

Of course, but sometimes a fresh opinion/brainstorming can help, which is probably what he's asking for.

Deadweight

Smash Ace
Hmm most of my kills vs snake are gimps.
Getting him off the edge is key imo.
GT->Grab backthrow off the ledge and just WoP with fairs or bairs. ^_^
Dont make it into a camp fest. Snakes nades kill at stupid percents. F-tilt is a good friend here. Im 75% sure that it outranges his. ^___^
When Snake is Using his up-B to go over top u. Try to follow him with your up. Cancel it into a ff nair and at some percents get a ceiling KO ^_^

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
allow me to help!

Snake is hard for R.O.B. in actuality. Snake is a lot like fighting marth, in a sense, because Marth simply destroys rob in the air, and camping doesn't worth that well because of marth's spacing. However, Snake is very succeptible to edgeguarding.

You need to play somewhat aggressive in this match, deadweight is right on with forward tilt. That's just the start though, Up tilt is very important if he tries to attack from above, just hit him with that. U-tilt beats a lot of characters aerial approaches.

Try and stay within Ftilt range of snake and pressure him. laser and gyro are only good from far away. If you get him off the ledge, attack attack attack! Don't let him catch a break. You can also spike through the cipher.

Snake like platforms a lot. Stages like Halberd, Battlefield, and Lylat Cruise are really good stages for him. Use Final D or stupid stages like Rainbow Cruise for CPs. Delfino might be a good place to fight snake at, if you can get him in the water it causes him a lot of problems.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
I'm taking in consideration to try gimping more, I used to destroy ally's snake by gimping him but he got smarter. Also lmao, I think it's time to use more uptilts. I still don't know what to do against the stupid dgrab techchase, ROB techroll makes me want to cry.
Following in Snake in the air and doing a nair is a good way to kill him but the problem is that it's way too risky, if Snake falls with an upair you die at around 50-60% from the top of the screen.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Well, like it was said before; the two of you are in the upper echelons with your prospective characters. BUT, I've had increased success fighting Snakes as of late, so I'll try to offer what advice I can.

I think the fact that the two of you play eachother so often is hindering the matchup btwn the two of you, but I certainly am not saying "stop playing eachother", lol. It just makes it harder to consistently come up with a strategy, as there are only so many times you can use it before it gets caught on, and you dont want to waste those strats in friendlies/training.

Anyway:

From the few times I've played Ally (and this was a LOOONG time ago), and from what I've seen- he has excellent control over all of his explosives and boats a superb grab game in comparison to other Snakes. Therefore, minimizing those aspects (or at least one of them) is obviously the key to improvin your results.

You say he has "figured out" your camping, (to paraphrase)- mix it up. There are a lot of lesser used way to camp with your projectiles than people realize. I've found success with RAR'ing (which most people are conditioned to expect a B-air), but instead; use a turn-around laser or gyro out of that, or even wavebounce laser/gyro out of that. The result is a bunch of quick (yet noticeable) changes in momentum/direction which, if done properly results in the very least of being spaced well. There's the chance he can mortar-slide if he shields, but you should be able to have enough time to land-->shield->turn-around laser as he passes you. Mixing up the freqeuncy and order "empty rars", lasers, gyros at different charge levels can add a fresh twist to your "camping".

There's always the chance of a ridiculously early gimp by standing on the edge and using the grab-->bthrow-->immediate f-tilt (to knock him out of his second jump in the chance he uses it immediately)-->cypher grab. It may not work consistently, and its only effective until about 35%... but at the very least its another option.

Its important to zone yourself in this matchup. While being at opposite ends of the stage is generally beneficial for you, in the events that you want to more quickly rack up damage/finish him off; you HAVE to restructure your zoning accordingly. Stay outside of his f-titlt range, and utilize that odd "spinning walk" (where you move forward or backward by slightly wiggling the control stick back and forth, with slightly more pressure to the side you want to move in) in an attempt to solicit an f-tilt. Depending on what he does after that, attempt to punish accordingly.

They key, imo, is to force him to recover low; which is easier said than done.

If your F-air is fresh, you can use that to knock him out of his cypher (as I think anything that deals 7% or more damage will knock him out of it), so you can use one or two of those (fresh, of course) to set up a possible B-air or N-air (which the f-airs will help refresh) kill after forcing him far enough away.

The high recovery is tricky to really punish as effectively as it seems. While he only has a few options during his descent; grenade, c4, wavebounced c4, d-air, n-air, and air-dodge (this may seem like a lot, but dpeending on positioning only 2-3 of these are viable at any given time), the fact that you are so high up, and he may be out of screen makes timing things and predicting things much tougher. I think you're U-air can beat his D-air in terms of speed (I may be wrong). Going for the n-air kill can leave you prone, which is why I recommend using an F-air below him to cancel the up+B, do nothing which results in you falling. You can bait an action from him this way, and use an N-air on your way down.

Like I said, this is just stuff I've found success with, and it may/may not work for you against him- but at least implementing fresh ideas widens your options. Also, techrolling in absolutely ridiculous directions (IE... going where you SHOULDNT) can be something to try.

edit: gay grab AT? 'splain pl0x

T0MMY

Smash Master
Shouldn't you be the one giving US advice? jj
But, I wrote you a nice piece of advice, it's over at AiB though.
Here's the link: http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?pid=774930#p774930

One bit of advice... maybe if you don't want to be followed around by your archenemies, don't put his name in your posts? lol

Anyway, you can do it! R.O.B. always pulls it through. Good luck!

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
edit: gay grab AT? 'splain pl0x
His mortar slide, but grab instead of upsmash. Results in a rather noticeable boost, I think it can CG falco, not entirely sure when I read about it.

ROB's ftilt only outrages the first hit of snake's ftilt, I'm pretty sure the second one will hit you if you whiff your ftilt.

Uptilt > All of snake's aerials? But then again it's not like snake's spam aerials.

Sorry, I still get ***** by snakes, so I can't help ><

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
His mortar slide, but grab instead of upsmash. Results in a rather noticeable boost, I think it can CG falco, not entirely sure when I read about it.

ROB's ftilt only outrages the first hit of snake's ftilt, I'm pretty sure the second one will hit you if you whiff your ftilt.

Uptilt > All of snake's aerials? But then again it's not like snake's spam aerials.

Sorry, I still get ***** by snakes, so I can't help ><
You're correct with everything, it's annoying how many AT Snake has =/

Ishoku

Smash Apprentice
lol, oh those SMYL days....

lawl

btw, if hes reading ur glide tossing, by shield and punish, why dont you try a grab?

or something more unorthodox, try a glidetoss and then roll behind him as soon as you can move (since hes going to shield/thwart that gyro anyway) and then grab him, from behind?

granted i never tested the latter one, but meh. call me creative.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Don't feel too bad, Ally's taking our money in the Midwest lately too. :p Snake also gives me more trouble than he should. :/ Once Snake is damaged enough that he starts getting knocked high enough to avoid an easy gimp, he's ridiculously hard to kill. Bleh.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I still think it's only because Ally is behind the snake, lol no other Snake in the world would give me such trouble. Ally's Snake is beyond the Snake level chart, just like M2K is with MK.
I think you're on to something here...
Do you need Snake help or Ally help? lol
DSF doesn't use Snake against me, he uses Meta Knight. He said R.O.B. has an advantage on Snake (personally, I don't think it's that great of an advantage, if there is one, it's closer to 50-50 than either way I'd think).

Record your matches and watch them later. Look at what you need to change.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
ROB Vs Snake imo is even when both are played a full potential, anyway thanks a lot everyone. I've taken a few suggestion and revamped my style of play against Ally. Seem to be working since I actually beat him twice in a row but he beat me in the 3rd game but I made a mistake lol, it's actually easier to beat Ally with MK at times by using the new style I'm using right now with ROB.

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
ROB Vs Snake imo is even when both are played a full potential, anyway thanks a lot everyone. I've taken a few suggestion and revamped my style of play against Ally. Seem to be working since I actually beat him twice in a row but he beat me in the 3rd game but I made a mistake lol, it's actually easier to beat Ally with MK at times by using the new style I'm using right now with ROB.
Care to mention what specifically? If you want to be secretive so you can pwn more in tourneys, by all means feel free to do so, but I'm curious, as I still have problems vs snakes.

Ruse

Fox
We should just pop open a Snake match-up thread.

I feel like it's slowly gone from 60-40 ROB to 50-50 or even 45-55 as the metagame has progressed (and is definitely that way at a high level of play).

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
holy u need to mindgame kill with upsmashes at 110 XD

anyway instead of trying to kill snake with ur so called bair/nair that are sending him the wrong way try to kill it towards the basltzone of that side of the stage.

like dont use a bair going foward, use it foward hitting with the front of it do you know what i mean how you can hit people with bair facing them? sends them to the right if your facing to the right of FD and they are recovering going left, and they airdodge

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm getting tired of losing to Ally in every Canadian tourney, I come close all the time but it's no use. He makes it seem like Snake has the advantage over ROB by a huge margin. I can't hit him with projectiles because he blocks everything and most of the time he just counter me with grenades. Glide toss are useless, he rarely fall for one and counter them everytime. His grabs outrange me by using that gay grab AT and he proceed to destroy me with dgrab techchase, ROB techroll is too crappy to do anything about it. But the worst part is killing him, I've come to the conclusion that ROB is too weak kill Snake. When you see Snake surviving fresh nair/bair at 150% you know something is wrong and the only thing he needs his a fresh uptilt around the 100-110% range and ROB is done for. Only effective thing is grabbing Snake out of his slow *** landing to rack dmg but even there killing is the hard part, I can't kill him fast enough. Sometimes he even proceed to 2 stock me because I can't finish him off while he rack dmg with grenades by camping to the other side of the stages or just using infinite dgrab near a ledge or a platform and I can't do anything about it. What do I do to win with ROB? Camping doesn't work so I'm wondering.
I've played against Ally some, and I know exactly what you mean. The guy's good.

I started figuring his playstyle out towards the end and had some better games against him... this is basically what I found:

Gimps

If you grab release Ally by the edge, he jumps forward and airdodge or nairs. Either way, you can beat that by hitting him out of it or shielding and grabbing again. If you grab him before he hits the ground, he loses his jump and is forced to up+b.

If you try the standard gimp of f-throwing him off the stage, you should always run immediately off the stage and jump straight up, right before you fall off the stage. This should allow you to fair him if he just falls towards the edge, and if he uses his second jump immediately you can jump and fair chain him pretty far off the edge.

It's not too hard to get Ally off the stage and start a chain on him, but I've only been able to kill him once by doing this. I normally have a 100% success rate, so this is frustrating. I've found doing a reverse up+b to bair when he's near the edge almost works, but it also lets him DI up and towards you, giving him more height.

Your hope the entire time is to either footstool him or dair him. Your goal is to get him below you, because his options are then limited. Be careful not to footstool his up+b (he gets it back if you do).

If you spike him, he will always HAVE to up+b immediately afterwards. Always. If you can call his direction, you can spike him out of that, killing him.

If you footstool him or force him to up+b away from the stage, he'll C4.

That's your goal. Make him use his C4.

Once you know he has to use his C4, get BELOW him. He will drop his C4, and he won't detonate until he's on top of you. You have three options now:

1. Let him hit you with the C4, then nair.

This will kill him at higher %.

2. Do a rising up+b + dair through his C4, spiking him.

Both are hard to land.

3. Fair him lots off the side and hope he dies

On the stage

Glide toss to grab is a combo unless he powershields or you mess up your spacing. I'm not very good at the spacing, but if you practice it you can glide toss a gyro, grab him, then throw him off the stage. This sets off some nice edgeguarding opportunities!

Glide tossing down or up is a good way to move quickly while keeping your gyro. This can be used to u-smash a lot.

Stay away from Snake as often as you can. His d-throw tech chase is ridiculous, and boarding the platforms doesn't work too well here. If he's on top of you, a mix-up of jabs, d-smash, spot dodge, roll, or even side-b for a shield poke should be used.

Your laser can blow up his grenades when he's holding them. Make sure he can't tell if you're going to laser by randomly ducking; it almost always baits the grenade throw, and you can then just shield the nade or spot dodge it.

Keep your gyro on the ground. This prevents him from walking around with immunity, and if he snake-dashes he picks up the gyro. This is good for you, because he no longer has any ground attacks worht mentioning! Once he has the gyro do not shield. This is your time to go on full out offense, because he can't do very much at all against you. If he hits you with the gyro, no big deal.

Your u-tilt is probably underused, but it is your best friend on a falling Snake. I just recently started using this, but it goes through ALL of his aerials and sets you up for more u-tilts, u-airs, and if he air dodges, a nair or bair. It can be VERY frustrating for a Snake player if you space the u-tilt to hit him with the very tip, because if you do he can't air dodge through two of them and it constantly resets itself.

Killing Snake

When Snake hits 120%, keep your gyro and laser charged whenever possible. You've played Ally enough to know he's comfortable up+bing straight up, C4ing, then up+bing again to recover high. When he does this, he's predicatable. Your laser and gyro can both kill him at this % offstage, so use those to get good KOs.

Your u-throw won't kill him, but it sets him up for dangerous aerial battles. You HAVE to be aggressive with your nairs. You aren't nairing on stage, your nairing HIGH up. Snake is at kill % starting around 70% for ROB. All you have to do is make him up+b or u-throw him high enough, then chase him with your up+b and nair him. It is dangerous, but you have the advantage.

Glide toss to up+b was originally dismissed as useless.... but against Snake, it can be a great way to catch up to him once you throw him off the stage. Practice it a bit! You can glide toss your gyro then up+b and it launches you an incredible distance forward. You still have your second jump, so fair immediately after the up+b and use your second jump to catch up with Snake. It makes edgeguarding incredibly fast if you have a gyro handy.

Gyro tricks

Other than the things mentioned above, here are a few super awesome tricks:

1. Hold down A while holding a gyro

This allows you to do your f-smash while holding a gyro. Due to f-smash's low cooldown, you can f-smash while holding a gyro, glide toss, and then f-smash or d-smash with a shield poke!

2. Z dropping gyro

Glide tossing isn't the only thing you can do. Z-drop your gyro onto Snake's shield and then fair. You'll grab the gyro again, and can throw it or z-drop and follow it up with a jab or d-smash shield poke. It's tricky, but fun.

Also, z-dropping your gyro cancels out Snake's u-tilt! This makes approaches from above a lot safer. I've been trying to find ways to z-drop and shield poke with a nair, but the spacing seems impossible. You have to be close to z-drop and far away to nair shield poke, and it gives Snake too much time to react. :[

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Just play him in teams. That's how I beat Ally.

Seriously though, that's good advice OS.

noodles

Smash Champion
I've played against Ally some, and I know exactly what you mean. The guy's good.

I started figuring his playstyle out towards the end and had some better games against him... this is basically what I found:

Gimps

If you grab release Ally by the edge, he jumps forward and airdodge or nairs. Either way, you can beat that by hitting him out of it or shielding and grabbing again. If you grab him before he hits the ground, he loses his jump and is forced to up+b.

If you try the standard gimp of f-throwing him off the stage, you should always run immediately off the stage and jump straight up, right before you fall off the stage. This should allow you to fair him if he just falls towards the edge, and if he uses his second jump immediately you can jump and fair chain him pretty far off the edge.

It's not too hard to get Ally off the stage and start a chain on him, but I've only been able to kill him once by doing this. I normally have a 100% success rate, so this is frustrating. I've found doing a reverse up+b to bair when he's near the edge almost works, but it also lets him DI up and towards you, giving him more height.

Your hope the entire time is to either footstool him or dair him. Your goal is to get him below you, because his options are then limited. Be careful not to footstool his up+b (he gets it back if you do).

If you spike him, he will always HAVE to up+b immediately afterwards. Always. If you can call his direction, you can spike him out of that, killing him.

If you footstool him or force him to up+b away from the stage, he'll C4.

That's your goal. Make him use his C4.

Once you know he has to use his C4, get BELOW him. He will drop his C4, and he won't detonate until he's on top of you. You have three options now:

1. Let him hit you with the C4, then nair.

2. Do a rising up+b + dair through his C4, spiking him.

Both are hard to land.

3. Fair him lots off the side and hope he dies

On the stage

Glide toss to grab is a combo unless he powershields or you mess up your spacing. I'm not very good at the spacing, but if you practice it you can glide toss a gyro, grab him, then throw him off the stage. This sets off some nice edgeguarding opportunities!

Glide tossing down or up is a good way to move quickly while keeping your gyro. This can be used to u-smash a lot.

Stay away from Snake as often as you can. His d-throw tech chase is ridiculous, and boarding the platforms doesn't work too well here. If he's on top of you, a mix-up of jabs, d-smash, spot dodge, roll, or even side-b for a shield poke should be used.

Your laser can blow up his grenades when he's holding them. Make sure he can't tell if you're going to laser by randomly ducking; it almost always baits the grenade throw, and you can then just shield the nade or spot dodge it.

Keep your gyro on the ground. This prevents him from walking around with immunity, and if he snake-dashes he picks up the gyro. This is good for you, because he no longer has any ground attacks worht mentioning! Once he has the gyro do not shield. This is your time to go on full out offense, because he can't do very much at all against you. If he hits you with the gyro, no big deal.

Your u-tilt is probably underused, but it is your best friend on a falling Snake. I just recently started using this, but it goes through ALL of his aerials and sets you up for more u-tilts, u-airs, and if he air dodges, a nair or bair. It can be VERY frustrating for a Snake player if you space the u-tilt to hit him with the very tip, because if you do he can't air dodge through two of them and it constantly resets itself.

Killing Snake

When Snake hits 120%, keep your gyro and laser charged whenever possible. You've played Ally enough to know he's comfortable up+bing straight up, C4ing, then up+bing again to recover high. When he does this, he's predicatable. Your laser and gyro can both kill him at this % offstage, so use those to get good KOs.

Your u-throw won't kill him, but it sets him up for dangerous aerial battles. You HAVE to be aggressive with your nairs. You aren't nairing on stage, your nairing HIGH up. Snake is at kill % starting around 70% for ROB. All you have to do is make him up+b or u-throw him high enough, then chase him with your up+b and nair him. It is dangerous, but you have the advantage.

Glide toss to up+b was originally dismissed as useless.... but against Snake, it can be a great way to catch up to him once you throw him off the stage. Practice it a bit! You can glide toss your gyro then up+b and it launches you an incredible distance forward. You still have your second jump, so fair immediately after the up+b and use your second jump to catch up with Snake. It makes edgeguarding incredibly fast if you have a gyro handy.

Gyro tricks

Other than the things mentioned above, here are a few super awesome tricks:

1. Hold down A while holding a gyro

This allows you to do your f-smash while holding a gyro. Due to f-smash's low cooldown, you can f-smash while holding a gyro, glide toss, and then f-smash or d-smash with a shield poke!

2. Z dropping gyro

Glide tossing isn't the only thing you can do. Z-drop your gyro onto Snake's shield and then fair. You'll grab the gyro again, and can throw it or z-drop and follow it up with a jab or d-smash shield poke. It's tricky, but fun.

Also, z-dropping your gyro cancels out Snake's u-tilt! This makes approaches from above a lot safer. I've been trying to find ways to z-drop and shield poke with a nair, but the spacing seems impossible. You have to be close to z-drop and far away to nair shield poke, and it gives Snake too much time to react. :[
or you can do what seibrik does, follow his DI and footstool. since your rob just bair when he upb's again

you can also let him sticky you with the c4 and jump then airdodge
or let him c4 sticky you and jump/airdodge

Overswarm

is laughing at you
or you can do what seibrik does, follow his DI and footstool. since your rob just bair when he upb's again

you can also let him sticky you with the c4 and jump then airdodge
or let him c4 sticky you and jump/airdodge
If bair kills him, that's a good idea. It'd be hilarious to watch.

How close do you have to be to be stickied? If you could just up+b underneath him and get stickied in the air....

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
If bair kills him, that's a good idea. It'd be hilarious to watch.

How close do you have to be to be stickied? If you could just up+b underneath him and get stickied in the air....
This would be a good strategy to kill ally fast at low % but at higher % he just c4 from the lowest point of the stage and manage to perfectly wall tech. It's still sound hard being next to him to get the c4 attached, I'm also curious of the distance.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
This would be a good strategy to kill ally fast at low % but at higher % he just c4 from the lowest point of the stage and manage to perfectly wall tech. It's still sound hard being next to him to get the c4 attached, I'm also curious of the distance.
I had some success on Lylat. He likes to go off the stage a lot and I'm sure he'd be more careful in a serious match, but once you get Ally under the stage he's in unfamiliar territory. Try taking him places he can be pushed under the stage.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Why don't you just laser him to delay his detonation and fall to his death, ala stealing people's second jumps? :p Mad skillz, y0.

noodles

Smash Champion
i have no idea about the distance im just using my imagination

i think you'd be fine if your falling in front of him though

Top Bottom