• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need help playing Ike well

Flame_AEther

Smash Rookie
I am preparing for a tournament in August and need help getting some of the advanced techniques down. If someone could Brawl my Ike and critique it, i would be very grateful.

FC: 1805 - 1853 - 7615

Thank you in advance!

King of Sack

Smash Journeyman
Three sugestions:

a) Read Kirk and Empty's guide.

b) Go to Ashunera’s Library.

c) Watch some games with good Ikes.

Flame_AEther

Smash Rookie
I've read those guides and thought they were awesome but i prefer hands-on experience.
I also think i would learn best by playing someone more skilled than myself.

Flame_AEther

Smash Rookie
Really? if thats the case then it's fine i'll just try to practice and stuff. I really didn't want to be a bother to anyone by posting here but i thank you for trying to help me.

And yeah i understand that because the lag on wifi hurts bad. I thought having friend codes would get rid of it but that may not be the case.

King of Sack

Smash Journeyman
Really? if thats the case then it's fine i'll just try to practice and stuff. I really didn't want to be a bother to anyone by posting here but i thank you for trying to help me.
Your welcome. You can still try asking people though.

Oh! Can you get replays onto your computer in any way possible way?

Flame_AEther

Smash Rookie
I may be able to if i use the SD card from my MP3 player oh duh. Thank you so much for the idea now i can get videos and also i may be able to show people the funny thing that happend to Diddy Kong:

me and my little sister were playing against computer and i killed Diddy Kong. When he came back he had his Final Smash (Item's were on NONE) and there was no Smash Ball.

Would i need a converter for the replays?

King of Sack

Smash Journeyman
I may be able to if i use the SD card from my MP3 player oh duh. Thank you so much for the idea now i can get videos and also i may be able to show people the funny thing that happend to Diddy Kong:

me and my little sister were playing against computer and i killed Diddy Kong. When he came back he had his Final Smash (Item's were on NONE) and there was no Smash Ball.

Would i need a converter for the replays?

You cannot just put the file on your SD card then onto your computer. Replays are simply two computers that (via binary code), repeat your exact movements. A replay on your computer will appear as a .bin file. You will need some form of recording device (A webcam might, just might work but the quality would be horribe) to save them as a movie.

What I was thinking is that you could take your replays to the "The Official Ike Video Critique Thread " and get advice like that.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
Good luck entering a tourney with Ike, I get frustrated since everyone is a CP for Ike.

All I can tell you is to learn to space properly and learn to DI very very well since Ikes recovery sucks ***

Flame_AEther

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the advice Doom dragon i'll try to apply proper spacing if i can figure it out.

Okay i made the videos but the speed was so powerful that the video looked like super saiyans fighting. The lighting was horrible i may have to find a real video camera at this rate.

metroid1117

Smash Master
First off, welcome to Smashboards!

I'm not trying to be mean, but as a general rule you should not post threads asking people to play you; that's where the Ike Finder thread (which is a sticky, so you can easily find it in the future) comes in. You can post any requests to play people there, then once you make contact with someone you can schedule matches through private messages, not posts; this way, the thread does not become cluttered or needlessly bumped.

Regarding your original post, there are a few Ikes on Smashboards that play Wi-fi, san3711 and iheartkimchixD (aka kimchi) being a few of them; try getting in touch via private messages if you want to play a specific person. If you want to play other people, you can try contacting Renegade, Red-X, and TILIN at AllisBrawl.

If you do happen to get a match recorded, feel free to post it in the Ike Critique Thread and we'll try and give you some tips and comments on how you can improve your game; just make sure to read the original post regarding what makes a match proper for critiquing.

Again, welcome to Smashboards and the Ike Forums!

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY

I'm not trying to be mean, but as a general rule you should not post threads asking people to play you; that's where the Ike Finder thread (which is a sticky, so you can easily find it in the future) comes in. You can post any requests to play people there, then once you make contact with someone you can schedule matches through private messages, not posts; this way, the thread does not become cluttered or needlessly bumped.

Regarding your original post, there are a few Ikes on Smashboards that play Wi-fi, san3711 and iheartkimchixD (aka kimchi) being a few of them; try getting in touch via private messages if you want to play a specific person. If you want to play other people, you can try contacting Renegade, Red-X, and TILIN at AllisBrawl.

If you do happen to get a match recorded, feel free to post it in the Ike Critique Thread and we'll try and give you some tips and comments on how you can improve your game; just make sure to read the original post regarding what makes a match proper for critiquing.

TILIN quit Wi-Fi :/.

King of Sack

Smash Journeyman

I have been trying to figure out Ren's user name for who knows how long now! Thank you!

Kirk

Smash Champion
I actually started playing wifi recently...because I find myself bored. >.>

But if you want critique, I can play you if you want. Can also record if you want the rest of the world to see. :)

Palpi

Smash Hero
Wifi = legit. Look at Anti and Ally :) apparently there is supposed to be some wifi star in NY that is absolultely nasty too. Not too sure though.

Someone said watch combo videos for help.... BIG NO.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wifi = legit. Look at Anti and Ally :) apparently there is supposed to be some wifi star in NY that is absolultely nasty too. Not too sure though.

Someone said watch combo videos for help.... BIG NO.
Not to mention Anther, Boss8, and Holynightmare play online too. Also, I agree that combo videos are not the way to go; individual matches are much better to watch. Personally, I'd recommend some of Ninjalink's videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mariorqs

Just type in Ike in his video search engine and you'll come up with a lot of great videos.

As for advice regarding Ike:

1. Jab is your friend. It's kind of sad but probably 1/3 of the attacks you land each match will probably be this so learn to use it right. Learn to jab cancel and learn how to grab out of jabs.

2. Use Ike's "charge" (b forward) attack more as a way to advance and retreat rather as a way to attack. It's an easy attack to shield and punish so be extra careful if you do use it as an attack. Personally, I also like to use it as a way to quickly edgehog my opponent but be careful on stages like Delfino Plaza or Halberd because this can sometimes heavily backfire.

3. Be careful using Ike's counter (down b) attack. From my experience, it's best used as a way to edgeguard people's recoveries like Marth and Falco. On stage, only use it if your opponent is falling into a predicitble pattern.

4. Ike's eruption (b) attack is okay as an edgeguard and a good way to defend yourself if you get knocked high in the air and your opponent goes after you.

5. Nair should be your most aerial and be sure to take full advantage of the lack of landing lag of it.

6. Be careful with your smash attacks and try to set them up instead of just doing them randomly. For example, try do a charge attack into a usmash or try spiking someone into the ground with a dair before using dsmash.If you need to get a kill in, depend on ftilt, utilt, uair, and bair instead.

7. Uair can be used to ledgestall and ledgeguard but be aware of how high you jump before using it.

8. Aether can be a good edge/ledgeguard if used right but make sure you practice getting the distance right before trying it on a regular basis.

Well, that's all I can think of for now.

Top Bottom