• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

D

Deleted member

Geez I wish this was true. Maybe not but Master Chief as the final fighter would be wicked awesome!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The issue I have with Infinite marketing is that initial release date of Infinite wasn't near the final slot. It was pushed due to negative reception of Infinite demo. It would be more of coincidence that Infinite release would be close to the final character reveal.

While Phil said he no longer wanted to port exclusives to other platforms anymore, Steve still got in after that comment. Yeah, Steve negotiation was already under way before he made that decision, but character inclusion would be different issue... or just promotion.
Steve was already on other platforms. He's not a good example here.

He was also apparently in talks for five years, even further making him a bad example.

It might still apply now, but it didn't really apply to Steve. BK would be a good example if he said it before the character got in and was negotiated for.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Steve was already on other platforms. He's not a good example here.

He was also apparently in talks for five years, even further making him a bad example.

It might still apply now, but it didn't really apply to Steve. BK would be a good example if he said it before the character got in and was negotiated for.
I guess Steve is really what got Banjo in the first place. That's what Rare developers said. But, Microsoft was in close relationship with Nintendo even before Minecraft. They published games on DS and even brought few producers from Nintendo since their HQs were pretty close to each other in Washington.

We don't know how long negotiation would've been until it's revealed. Some characters took longer.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I guess Steve is really what got Banjo in the first place. That's what Rare developers said. But, Microsoft was in close relationship with Nintendo even before Minecraft. They published games on DS and even brought few producers from Nintendo since their HQs were pretty close to each other in Washington.

We don't know how long negotiation would've been until it's revealed. Some characters took longer.
Either way, we know the time Phil said isn't planning to add more stuff to other systems is well after this, so these are clearly not exceptions anyway.

Microsoft and Nintendo, yeah, it's not just about Minecraft either. They were able to get Diddy Kong Racing's remake as well, which required Microsoft's cooperation. And I think one Banjo game for the GBA? That seems the earliest they were willing to work together. This might be because Microsoft is a software company first and gaming company second. Nintendo is gaming first. Sony actually has a lot more different studios and feels evenly split.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Either way, we know the time Phil said isn't planning to add more stuff to other systems is well after this, so these are clearly not exceptions anyway.

Microsoft and Nintendo, yeah, it's not just about Minecraft either. They were able to get Diddy Kong Racing's remake as well, which required Microsoft's cooperation. And I think one Banjo game for the GBA? That seems the earliest they were willing to work together. This might be because Microsoft is a software company first and gaming company second. Nintendo is gaming first. Sony actually has a lot more different studios and feels evenly split.
The issue is... was he referring to the games or everything entirely? Even then, isn't it possible that Master Chief was decided long before Phil said that? We had rumor of Gamepass on Switch (although this might have been scrapped). He may be still open that idea if Nintendo is up to it as well. Multiple named leakers backed MCC Switch, but MS might have changed/cancelled the plan after they heard the rumor.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The issue is... was he referring to the games or everything entirely? Even then, isn't it possible that Master Chief was decided long before Phil said that? We had rumor of Gamepass on Switch (although this might have been scrapped). He may be still open that idea if Nintendo is up to it as well. Multiple named leakers backed MCC Switch, but MS might have changed/cancelled the plan after they heard the rumor.
Oh, Master Chief absolutely could've been licensed for use well before the statement was made.

It's more that it can't be properly applied to Steve, that's all.

Also, I have a feeling that rumors/leaks wouldn't cancel their product. It would sell well enough either way. If it was cancelled, it'd be either on Nintendo's end, a choice to have the Halo games be PC/Microsoft exclusive(something they decided after wanting to go through with the product originally), or it not being workable on the Switch like they thought it would be(I doubt this last one, though). It's likely the middle one, since it makes the most sense. Halo is a very important franchise to Microsoft, and a core exclusive they have.

But almost anything can happen. I doubt the first mainly because Microsoft was more than okay with the Halo Mash-Up Pack as is, which is a pretty big deal. Sure, they're just skins, but it's still a previous Microsoft exclusive. ...I'm not sure if the Halo content in Fortnite is in on all systems or not though. Though that said, Minecraft in general is very promotable on Nintendo for Microsoft, so that leading to BK does make sense. Not so much Steve being in talk for 5 years, but it helped them become way more chummy as is. There was an actual Minecraft 3DS version, which is a pretty big deal, imo.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
There was a leak and it mentioned Master Chief as the final character, while that leak in of itself, probably isn't real. Chief as the final fighter would make all the sense in the world

1). The obvious "Finish The Fight" splash screen

2). He would probably be revealed as the promotional blitz for Halo Infinite really begins.. Making for great marketing

3). It would break the internet on a level we haven't seen since Sonic in Smash. A character that even 5 years ago, nobody thought would ever get into Smash
Do you have a link to the leak? It’d be fun to read at the very least.

Oh, Master Chief absolutely could've been licensed for use well before the statement was made.

Also, I have a feeling that rumors/leaks wouldn't cancel their product. It would sell well enough either way. If it was cancelled, it'd be either on Nintendo's end, a choice to have the Halo games be PC/Microsoft exclusive(something they decided after wanting to go through with the product originally), or it not being workable on the Switch like they thought it would be(I doubt this last one, though). It's likely the middle one, since it makes the most sense. Halo is a very important franchise to Microsoft, and a core exclusive they have.

But almost anything can happen. I doubt the first mainly because Microsoft was more than okay with the Halo Mash-Up Pack as is, which is a pretty big deal. Sure, they're just skins, but it's still a previous Microsoft exclusive. ...I'm not sure if the Halo content in Fortnite is in on all systems or not though. Though that said, Minecraft in general is very promotable on Nintendo for Microsoft, so that leading to BK does make sense. Not so much Steve being in talk for 5 years, but it helped them become way more chummy as is. There was an actual Minecraft 3DS version, which is a pretty big deal, imo.
Chief’s on all versions of Fortnite. I bought him on my PS4 & can use him on my Switch too lol

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

I guess I should've worded it better. What I meant was that Microsoft and Nintendo might have changed their plan regardless of leakers. Those leakers heard the rumor and spread it to public, but after that MS and Nintendo might have changed their course. They were right that "Mario on Playstation" or MCC Switch port was coming at the time. So, people shouldn't blame them for baiting or misleading.

People keep saying mere skin isn't much. But if that's the case, then neither does Cloud appearance on spin-off games. Nintendo didn't allow their exclusive Minecraft skins on other systems, but Microsoft did. So, you are right that it's still something legit.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Does anyone here have any fond memories of Halo & Smash together? I have great memories of weekends over my friends’ houses switching between Halo 3 & Brawl back in middle school. It’d be a dream come true to finally see Halo & Smash join together. It’d make me feel like this:

If not, then I can atleast sort of recreate that this fall by switching between Infinite & Ultimate.... if Infinite is good.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Does anyone here have any fond memories of Halo & Smash together? I have great memories of weekends over my friends’ houses switching between Halo 3 & Brawl back in middle school. It’d be a dream come true to finally see Halo & Smash join together. It’d make me feel like this:

If not, then I can atleast sort of recreate that this fall by switching between Infinite & Ultimate.... if Infinite is good.
That's what I wrote in my rating. For me, it all started from video game club during high school. I used to bring my consoles to the club. We played tons of games together: Halo 2, Soul Caliber, DOA3, etc... I mostly watched others playing Melee. When I got into college, I bought Halo 3 Legendary edition along with more controllers, so I could play with my roommates. They also insisted that I should get Smash Brawl. So, I bought Wii and Brawl, so we could play together. I remember how they disliked that I played Snake. We played both games time to time.

To me, this will be signal to those friends that I lost contact with. I hope they would see through this event if it happens to remind them of memory.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
That’s a great story! Playing Brawl was very early into my love of gaming. I was sort of a late bloomer with games since I didn’t get into non-licensed games until I saw how awesome Halo 3 looked.

I was just getting into games but I knew who Mario, Sonic, Pikachu, Donkey Kong, Link, Kirby & Snake were. Those were who I saw as the biggest game characters, so it was awesome to see them all together. I always joked about Chief getting in since I viewed him as being on that level (I still do).

So Smash has always been a celebration of gaming in my eyes, just not of Nintendo. It just so happens that Nintendo owns A LOT of gaming’s biggest characters lol

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I was a freshman in college when Brawl came out. Halo 3 had released, and I remember scrounging up as much money as I could muster to get it and an extra controller. Played a ton of Halo 3 in college, along with Melee, and eventually Brawl. Ton of tournaments in Smash with my roommates and others, plus multiplayer nights on Halo 3. Great times. Made it even better when my most wanted at the time(Sonic) was announced on my birthday. Talk about a hyped year for me.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Some people say Fortnite deconfirms Chief. But, isn't Chief skin limited to season 6? After that, players can no longer purchase the season iirc.
I don't think Fortnite and Smash would be competing much.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Some people say Fortnite deconfirms Chief. But, isn't Chief skin limited to season 6? After that, players can no longer purchase the season iirc.
That's as silly as the Minecraft skin doing so.

It clearly doesn't. It's just a quick crossover and that's it. That happens. I mean, the Halo Mash-Up Pack used to be a Microsoft exclusive(so Xbox or PC only), and Nintendo eventually got it too thanks to lots of teaming up(it also helps that Minecraft is a huge game and it would further increase sales. Microsoft throwing another skin? Not that odd. It helps exposure in Japan too).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's as silly as the Minecraft skin doing so.

It clearly doesn't. It's just a quick crossover and that's it. That happens. I mean, the Halo Mash-Up Pack used to be a Microsoft exclusive(so Xbox or PC only), and Nintendo eventually got it too thanks to lots of teaming up(it also helps that Minecraft is a huge game and it would further increase sales. Microsoft throwing another skin? Not that odd. It helps exposure in Japan too).
People assumed that for Lara getting in Fortnite as well.

What correlation does a third-person action shooter game have with a fighting game? This makes no sense to me.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Nah, he’s a shop item so he can technically come back whenever. But Fortnite Definitely doesn’t disconfirm him.

Edit: Random thought but Chief getting in would be cool for an additional piece of gaming history that I haven’t seen brought up before. If he gets in then Smash will have the protagonist of the killer app for each major console brand’s first console.

:ultmario:: Super Mario Bros on the NES
:ultsonic:: Sonic on the Genesis (Ehhh Genesis was basically the first Sega console <____<)
:ultcloud:: Final Fantasy VII on the PS1

& then Master Chief for Halo: CE on the original Xbox.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
1616508086153.png

1616508134104.png

ESRB site. There is no content descriptor about gun or realistic firearm.

Here is the link.

1616508356820.png

1616508378335.png

CERO website

It's same on CERO.

I guess Sakurai wasn't aware of this... or did rating board change over time? It's still amusing that people still cling on realistic gun argument.
Like hell rating board would be aware of Joker's gun is fake. Even then, UNSC guns look less realistic than Joker's gun.
And none of Halo got realistic gun under content descriptor. Why is that people are too stubborn to check these websites?
I think what Sakurai said about realistic gun back in day is like how he initially dismissed Ridley and Villager.

Attachments

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Yeah, the gun thing was out the window as soon as they said “For Joker’s neutral special, he wields... a gun!”

They’ve never mentioned it was an air soft gun, so there’s no way to tell it’s not a real one in Smash.

I’m rocking this in MCC BTW. You all should too.

1E0435EA-9FCB-4221-9F26-27536C2ADF75.jpeg

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The realistic guns thing was never a CERO bit. That was Sakurai's view, a long time ago. It was out the window with Bayonetta only having slightly cartoonish guns. Joker killed the thought even harder.

We don't know when he basically shrugged at it. I mean, Snake's guns still look realistic, so it was just a Melee thing. That, and keep in mind it was firing realistic bullets with James Bond, a small issue he considered when talking about the character.

So it hasn't been an issue for a long time as is. Brawl, 4, and Ultimate slowly killed the issue~

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
The realistic guns thing was never a CERO bit. That was Sakurai's view, a long time ago. It was out the window with Bayonetta only having slightly cartoonish guns. Joker killed the thought even harder.

We don't know when he basically shrugged at it. I mean, Snake's guns still look realistic, so it was just a Melee thing. That, and keep in mind it was firing realistic bullets with James Bond, a small issue he considered when talking about the character.

So it hasn't been an issue for a long time as is. Brawl, 4, and Ultimate slowly killed the issue~
Also, Chief's guns are futuristic sci-fi guns

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Also, Chief's guns are futuristic sci-fi guns
I think at most he might be worried about realistic bullets... and I doubt that even now.

Stuff like blood and gore is one thing. But that wouldn't be an issue(just like it wouldn't be with characters like Doomguy or Scorpion. That obviously wouldn't be added).

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

1616649800547.png

Phil Spencer has teased upcoming announcement with background items. So far, most if not all of them have been spot on.
This guy pointed out at Switch at the background. So perhaps, stars are aligned.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
If people really have issue with the relisti weapons, just direct them to the Covenant weapons. Given the track record of franchises getting bias from the more popular (and beloved) entries in their series I have a feeling the Halo Trilogy, ODST & Reach will have the most content used in Chief's moveset, spirit & music selections.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

View attachment 308600

Phil Spencer has teased upcoming announcement with background items. So far, most if not all of them have been spot on.
This guy pointed out at Switch at the background. So perhaps, stars are aligned.
E5274136-3991-4D45-9A25-5635248157D0.jpeg

He had previously snuck the Xbox Series S into his background before it was shown off. There was something else I’m forgetting about too.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

View attachment 308600

Either this means Master Chief's getting in or we'll finally see Halo MCC on Switch come to light. Either way, this oughtta point to something.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Either this means Master Chief's getting in or we'll finally see Halo MCC on Switch come to light. Either way, this oughtta point to something.
To hype responsibly, it could just be him showing off his Switch since it’s a great console & MS/Nintendo have a good relationship.

But to hype irresponsibly....

I have been thinking since it seems like the Switch Pro seem to be real (it’s being reported on by the likes of Bloomberg now), one or both of the last characters could tie into releases that’ll be coming to the Pro. MCC could definitely be one of those titles.

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Both? Both.

Also for his trailer, it's going to take place in the final battle in the World of Light mode. It'll be fitting since 3's slogan is Finish the Fight and if MC is the last fighter in Smash.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Imagine a double reveal in June with Sora (Coming with the Lloyd Mii) and Master Chief.

The internet would be beyond repair.
I'd much prefer to get both announced soon rather than wait till September (or god forbid November) for the last character reveal.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Just an intern from a foreign marketing Twitter, not even the US one. I’d worry if someone from Xbox or 343 commented on it, as they did right before FP1. But they’ve been pretty silent about Smash this time around.
So what do you think about the 343 community director very recently talking about on Twitter how he wants Chief?

(this one was right before the Feb direct)

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Imagine a double reveal in June with Sora (Coming with the Lloyd Mii) and Master Chief.

The internet would be beyond repair.
That would be a god tier ending to this game. Too good to be true, stupid Disney. 😥
Both? Both.

Also for his trailer, it's going to take place in the final battle in the World of Light mode. It'll be fitting since 3's slogan is Finish the Fight and if MC is the last fighter in Smash.
I’ve had a similar idea for a while. It’d have a ton of the gaming icons struggling to fight off the bad guys, but then Chief comes in to help them finish the fight.
So what do you think about the 343 community director very recently talking about on Twitter how he wants Chief?

(this one was right before the Feb direct)
I don’t think he’d be in the know either. A Mojang community person made fun of the idea of Steve in Smash in Fall 2019 (maybe 2018?), even claiming that she’d rather have Skeleton be playable. That was well into negotiations for Steve. I imagine only the higher ups at Microsoft & 343 would know about Smash. So Phil, Bonnie Ross, Frank O’Connor, Joe Staten, etc...

MattX20

Smash Hero
I don't think we'll have to wait till November for the last character reveal/release. The absolute most we had wait time wise between character reveals/releases was with Min Min and Steve, which was slightly over 3 months. Even if the last two characters didn't follow the roughly bimonthly reveal/release gaps from Steve through Sephiroth and Pyra and Mythra, at most we'd wait a little over 6 months and would conclude in September.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Random thought I had regarding Halo & Smash. The original Halo trilogy ran at the same time as Melee/Brawl, which are considered the Golden Eras of both franchises. After that they sort of went through this weird phase, where it was still popular but it wasn’t the “golden days” anymore.

Then Nintendo comes out with Smash Ultimate which heavily capitalizes on the nostalgia of Melee/Brawl while still feeling new & fresh at the same time. Now Smash is the biggest it’s ever been. I’d personally say it’s also the best Smash has ever been, with Ultimate being one of the best games of all-time.

I really hope that 343 can pull something similar off with Halo: Infinite. I have my hopes but it’s a very tall order.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Random thought I had regarding Halo & Smash. The original Halo trilogy ran at the same time as Melee/Brawl, which are considered the Golden Eras of both franchises. After that they sort of went through this weird phase, where it was still popular but it wasn’t the “golden days” anymore.

Then Nintendo comes out with Smash Ultimate which heavily capitalizes on the nostalgia of Melee/Brawl while still feeling new & fresh at the same time. Now Smash is the biggest it’s ever been. I’d personally say it’s also the best Smash has ever been, with Ultimate being one of the best games of all-time.

I really hope that 343 can pull something similar off with Halo: Infinite. I have my hopes but it’s a very tall order.
Not sure Ultimate draws that much from Melee or Brawl, aside from bringing back characters from those games. Most people agreed it was strongly derivative of Smash 4.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Brawl was a golden era? With newcomers sure, but certainly not in gameplay.

Smash 4 was more or less a content divided beta Ultimate. Namco was one of the better things to happen to Smash regardless. Can’t say I miss some of the old mechanics such as edge hogging.

Top Bottom