• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

That’s cool. As those who know their history know, the original Halo composer got done dirty.

The Mick Gordon case with Doom may not be too different depending on how you look at it, if you want to make another comparison between the two series.
I'm not sure whether that's soft deconfirmation... one could argue that Sakurai would definitely pick Marty if Chief is in the pass... If Marty is involved, he wouldn't have said anything like that. If he is involved and under NDA, would that count as breaking NDA?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I'm not sure whether that's soft deconfirmation... one could argue that Sakurai would definitely pick Marty if Chief is in the pass... If Marty is involved, he wouldn't have said anything like that. If he is involved and under NDA, would that count as breaking NDA?
I don’t think it means much. AFAIK, Kirkhope & Shimomura are the only two composers who’ve come back for third party remixes.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Well, no.. He didn't explicitly mention he was working on it

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I remember Uematsu said that he'd like to do a Smash remix if a Final Fantasy character ever made it to Smash. We have 2 of them now, still no Uematsu remix. Or this is a Kirkhope all over again. Most likely this means nothing.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
If anything, I imagine we’d get a mix from Gareth Coker, Halo: Infinite’s composer. Not only is he actively working on the series. But he’s become pretty prolific in recent years since he also did the scores for the Ori & Ark games. He even did a Minecraft song that was reused for Smash.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If the composer isn't even on Halo productions anymore, I don't think it affects things at all. It's not a Devil May Cry voice actor situation.

I remember Uematsu said that he'd like to do a Smash remix if a Final Fantasy character ever made it to Smash. We have 2 of them now, still no Uematsu remix. Or this is a Kirkhope all over again. Most likely this means nothing.
Uematsu is independent now, isn't he? Must be too busy to do too much.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Chief still has a chance until Phil, Sakurai or someone from 343/Nintendo says something.

At the very least, how much of a hot topic he’s become for Smash could mean good things for his future. It’s probably reached the people in charge now so they could work on his future inclusion, if he’s not in FP2 that is.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
FP2 has one more slot than FP1 for some reason... Is Sakurai actually aware of tag "Finish the Fight"? It would be amazing if he really follows the suit.
"We were originally going for 5 slots, but decided to put one more to end with bang!"

If Chief doesn't make it in, but there will be third fighter pass, I think big obstacle would be Dovahkin and probably Doom Slayer (I doubt he is happening with that interview despite that 4chan leak). Another intercompany competition.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I am cautious for the future direction of Smash Bros in including characters from M rated games, but I suppose he is iconic enough for his chance. I support.
The Halo games are a really tame M rating. There’s no extreme gore or cursing. No sexual content whatsoever too.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
BTW, didn't King Zell say something MCC port would be announced at Direct? I'm sure he wasn't lying, but after his last hint, could the deal fall off or decision changed in MS? Anyway, I heard that Nintendo will bring back general Nintendo Direct. Yeah big one. MCC PC is done minus tweak and upgrade. Still, would MCC Switch one step toward Gamepass on Switch?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
What was his last hint? Also, it’s been rumors that Microsoft approached both Nintendo & Sony about GamePass but they denied it. So I think straight ports are the only chance for Halo on Switch.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Bad news.. There was a mii fighter leak with Master Chief.. It could be fake, but it looks convincing
As I said in the General thread, I can’t see anyone involved thinking this is a good idea. Master Chief is guaranteed to be a big seller & attention grabber. It’d make no sense for him to be anything less than a fighter.

It’d be the biggest snub in Smash history.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Looks like I have to repeat this, yet again.

Generally, if a guest appearance on a Nintendo-related game is direct and significant enough, that sways Sakurai to include a character.

Sakurai: At the same time, I think it’s only natural to prioritize the character who enjoys worldwide popularity. I might have had misgivings if Cloud had never appeared on a Nintendo console in any form, though.

—Recently, he’s shown up in the Theatrhythm and Kingdom Hearts series. He’s even branching out to the PS4 now with the FFVII remake.
I've been insisting for months that the rumored Master Chief Collection Switch port is what would be needed for him to get included in Smash at some point in the future (more than a skin in Minecraft or Fortnite's crossplay). Even as a Mii costume. So if MC got left out, I would understand, but at least Microsoft's door is still left open and Halo's popularity still lasts no matter what happens, so I'm not worried. :ultbanjokazooie: :ultsteve:

This was his last hint. Ever since then, there hasn't been any general Direct. Only small or specific one.
Until further notice, Partner Showcases focus specifically on third-parties, so unless Halo became a first-party title out of nowhere, the MCC port would be likely to be announced on those.

With Will of The Wisps having recently arrived on Switch, that pretty much takes care of all the indie titles under the Microsoft umbrella, so the time might be coming soon for us to hear about MCC. We just need to wait and see what the first presentation of the year will be like, as we loom close to the start of the fiscal year...

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
It would be weird that MCC makes it before Rare Replay, but on technical standpoint, Rare Replay would be much harder to program with some of them being run on emulator iirc. That's why it's not ported yet. With that much difficulty, no amount of online opinion would sway MS's decision. So, MS decides to go for MCC port because they couldn't get Gamepass on Switch. I'm not entirely sure MCC Switch port is good advertisement for Halo Infinite. Or after that port, MS can slowly implement Gamepass on Switch I guess?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Yeah, I don’t see Rare Replay being ported. They’d have to recreate the majority of the games for Switch & that’s 30 freaking games. I could see the Banjo games, Conker, Perfect Dark & the Battletoads games coming to Switch though. Those are the ones people want anyway lol

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, I don’t see Rare Replay being ported. They’d have to recreate the majority of the games for Switch & that’s 30 freaking games. I could see the Banjo games, Conker, Perfect Dark & the Battletoads games coming to Switch though. Those are the ones people want anyway lol
I wish Killer Instinct was on Rare Replay fully too. People want that too, since it also started on Nintendo. Pretty much all the Nintendo Rareware series are popular in their own right~

There's probably other games, though. But it's hard to say which ones people massively want on the Switch.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I wish Killer Instinct was on Rare Replay fully too. People want that too, since it also started on Nintendo. Pretty much all the Nintendo Rareware series are popular in their own right~

There's probably other games, though. But it's hard to say which ones people massively want on the Switch.
I guess there was some bias in leaving out the OG KIs, I think they’ve aged like milk. The new one is amazing though, I hope we get a sequel soon.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I guess there was some bias in leaving out the OG KIs, I think they’ve aged like milk. The new one is amazing though, I hope we get a sequel soon.
I'm guessing it's cause some of them were sold separately, and being an IP reboot, they wanted more cash. Bias of course.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd like to be proven wrong, but I don't know if Rare will even care enough about taking a few days away from Everwild just to port a few of their old games. Hell, we still have yet to see anything new be done with :ultbanjokazooie: as a result of getting in Smash.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I'm guessing it's cause some of them were sold separately, and being an IP reboot, they wanted more cash. Bias of course.
Oh, I meant bias on my own part because I left them out of that list of Rare games that should be ported lol

I'd like to be proven wrong, but I don't know if Rare will even care enough about taking a few days away from Everwild just to port a few of their old games. Hell, we still have yet to see anything new be done with :ultbanjokazooie: as a result of getting in Smash.
Well, it’s only been a year & a half. I will always keep hoping to see Banjo return.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
So that price change/hike for XBL Gold... Here we go again, but this one's pretty bad. $60 for 6 months instead of a year? I know they want to get more people on Game Pass, but they're gonna see a significant loss of support from their longtime consumers if this sticks. Not even Halo would make it worth it. Bad MS decisions have been reversed before (see the Xbox One launch fiasco), so am hoping for the best, but I don't know.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
So that price change/hike for XBL Gold... Here we go again, but this one's pretty bad. $60 for 6 months instead of a year? I know they want to get more people on Game Pass, but they're gonna see a significant loss of support from their longtime consumers if this sticks. Not even Halo would make it worth it. Bad MS decisions have been reversed before (see the Xbox One launch fiasco), so am hoping for the best, but I don't know.
This is going to push people to PlayStation and Nintendo if anything

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
BrawlFan1 is doing Master Chief.

Solid moveset. It’s not my favorite that I’ve seen, but I wouldn’t mind it if it’s what we got. I do think the tilt & ammo gimmicks are a bit too complicated, especially put together. I’d go with one or the other.

I love all these Chief moveset videos though. They’re all different & it goes to show how diverse his kit is.

This is a very dumb decision on their part. I hope they listen to feedback.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yo, if FP3 gets announced, then I really hope we can get Master Chief and Kratos in a crossover that isn't Fortnite. 👀
MC is a maybe if he gets a Halo Switch thingy (if what King Zell hinted isn't a port).

Kratos? It would take a miracle for Sony to swallow their pride and openly allow a first-party outside of crossplay after PSASBR fell...

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
MC is a maybe if he gets a Halo Switch thingy (if what King Zell hinted isn't a port).

Kratos? It would take a miracle for Sony to swallow their pride and openly allow a first-party outside of crossplay after PSASBR fell...
Without going too much into off-topic, Santa Monica seems to be okay with Kratos in Smash if this tweet is anything to by. Of course I also realize this is nothing more than a pipe dream.

Top Bottom