• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Shame the Samus rumor didn't pan out. I cringed at the idea at first since it's Fortnite, but then remembered how much free publicity she would've gotten while waiting for whatever news on her series, whilst she would be alongside other gaming icons no less, but alas. Back to being quiet and niche as usual. Cool that Chief got the appearance though still, even if we already knew about it in advance.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Shame the Samus rumor didn't pan out. I cringed at the idea at first since it's Fortnite, but then remembered how much free publicity she would've gotten while waiting for whatever news on her series, whilst she would be alongside other gaming icons no less, but alas. Back to being quiet and niche as usual. Cool that Chief got the appearance though still, even if we already knew about it in advance.
It could still happen. This Hunter themed season is going on until March. Maybe Nintendo wants to announce it?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Hm, maybe... If it still happens with her later, then I'll be down with it, but after yesterday, can see why others might've become more dismissive of that rumor now.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
It’d be a cool reveal especially if it happened during a Xbox presentation. But I’d rather have a proper Smash reveal for Chief. Something like Sephiroth got. I gotta see Chief in full Smash trailer CGI glory.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
It’d be a cool reveal especially if it happened during a Xbox presentation. But I’d rather have a proper Smash reveal for Chief. Something like Sephiroth got. I gotta see Chief in full Smash trailer CGI glory.
I could see him being teased at the end of Mircosoft's E3 like this

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I’d like if it was in a Nintendo presentation so they can show off :ultmario: :ultlink::ultsonic::ultpikachu::ultpacman::ultryu::ultsteve::ultsnake::ultsamus: & maybe:ultcloud::ulthero3:* beforehand to emphasize how big of an icon he is.

*Maybe those two since it seems like Square characters only show up in the CG stuff if it’s for another Square character sadly.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I’d like if it was in a Nintendo presentation so they can show off :ultmario: :ultlink::ultsonic::ultpikachu::ultpacman::ultryu::ultsteve::ultsnake::ultsamus: & maybe:ultcloud::ulthero3:* beforehand to emphasize how big of an icon he is.

*Maybe those two since it seems like Square characters only show up in the CG stuff if it’s for another Square character sadly.
Or a Console wars reference, to symbolize how Chief's the Xbox poster boy

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I still wonder why MS would port MCC to Switch. Ads for Infinite? I think King Zell is as credible as Vergen. Vergen's Minecraft leak took long time to come true. The same can be applied to King Zell's MCC hint. And, I don't see how Nintendo won't put Chief into Smash if there is MCC port. That would be monumental stupidity.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I still wonder why MS would port MCC to Switch. Ads for Infinite? I think King Zell is as credible as Vergen. Vergen's Minecraft leak took long time to come true. The same can be applied to King Zell's MCC hint. And, I don't see how Nintendo won't put Chief into Smash if there is MCC port. That would be monumental stupidity.
Sak is more comfortable adding a character if they have an official Nintendo appearance in any capacity beforehand. Maybe for ease of negotiations? Who knows, but it has been upheld so far.

Besides, there is easily a ton of characters that could take priority over Chief, regardless if they're long-standing fan wants or not. We don't know how high up he is on their "list".

But yes, Infinite promotion seems like a good reasoning for adding him as a side objective. Sak felt awkward when he promoted a Rare collection that wasn't released too recently, though the characters in question did have a proven history. :ultbanjokazooie:

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Sak is more comfortable adding a character if they have an official Nintendo appearance in any capacity beforehand. Maybe for ease of negotiations? Who knows, but it has been upheld so far.

Besides, there is easily a ton of characters that could take priority over Chief, regardless if they're long-standing fan wants or not. We don't know how high up he is on their "list".

But yes, Infinite promotion seems like a good reasoning for adding him as a side objective. Sak felt awkward when he promoted a Rare collection that wasn't released too recently, though the characters in question did have a proven history. :ultbanjokazooie:
Epic’s got us covered then.

19E796FC-B745-48F0-8A9D-1B95CE795DCF.jpeg

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
At this point it's a maybe, since I don't know how much crossplay counts. Might as well wait and see. 🤷‍♂️
Nah, you can outright buy him on the Switch version too. There’s also a little video that’s playing in-game now too about Chief joining. I’d say that definitely counts if Cloud’s KH/FF spin-off cameos counted.

I definitely don’t think he’s a guaranteed thing btw. We still have to see if they’d double dip on Microsoft (or anyone besides theirselves) in one pass rn. He has a couple things going against him that he’d have to fight against like Xbox’s lack of popularity in Japan or Nintendo simply deciding to go with other characters. But, hey,:ultsephiroth: had A LOT going against him too. Now look where we’re at.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
BTW, didn't other credible leakers also back King Zell? I think it was Wasabi and more iirc.

PC MCC has been finished for long time. So they can focus on Halo CE first.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I could see them releasing it next year as a part of any 20th anniversary plans they have. Hopefully they’ll be a decent amount of celebration. It’s a major moment for both Halo & Xbox.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Write your own pro-con.

Here is mine.

Master Chief

Pro
  • Microsoft and Nintendo are in good term as Banjo and Steve are in Smash. MS also published games on Nintendo platform even before Switch.
  • Credible leaker, King Zell hinted Halo content on Switch not only once, but twice later. Other credible leaker like Sabi also backed him.
  • Despite what the internet describes, Halo 5 was still success on par with previous entry. It's still juggernaut, especially in US. Putting Chief in Smash will boost Smash's popularity even further.
  • Lots of moveset potential with new gimmick
  • Under represented genre that can use new rep

Con
  • Relative lack of popularity may disuade Nintendo from picking Chief. But, Halo still had Japanese anime studio produce anime, and the collection sold decently in Japan. It has cult following.
  • Lack of entry besides Minecraft skin and Fortnite skin may be roadblock.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Pros:
  • Arguably the most iconic video game character not in Smash yet. The only other characters who could compete for that title being Crash & Lara Croft
  • Halo is one of the highest selling game series of all-time, with the last update being at 70 mil copies. Incredibly impressive for a 19 year old series that’s largely only been on three systems. It’s sold more than every series in Smash besides :ultmario: :ultpikachu: :ultsteve::ultcloud::ultsonic::ultlink::ulthero3:
  • Microsoft is currently pushing Master Chief as their icon/a gaming legend the hardest they have since Halo 3. He’s all over Xbox Series X/general Microsoft marketing. It’s possible they want to use Smash for this as well
  • Would represent the FPS genre, which is perhaps the biggest game genre without a fighter in Smash
  • A pop culture phenomenon in America. Previous Halo launches, particularly 2/3/Reach, had huge lines of people eagerly waiting the release. Very similarly to that of Dragon Quest in Japan
  • Has influenced the overall sci-fi genre in America. Master Chief/Spartan style armor can be found in a lot of sci-fi media after Halo’s debut. Again, this is similar to Dragon Quest in Japan with the fantasy genre
  • Sakurai has played the Halo games & even praised Halo 2. Though, he had a lot more to say about Half-Life 2, which could help Gordon Freeman instead of Master Chief
  • Throughout the ‘00s to early ‘10s, game studios were desperately trying to make games that could compare to Halo’s success. Thus spawning the term “Halo Killer”. Very few game series have caused a reaction like this in the game industry
  • The Halo series was incredibly influential for the FPS genre & gaming overall. The success of Halo 2 & Xbox Live helped push both the FPS genre & online gaming into the mainstream.
Iffy:
  • The Xbox brand is basically not a thing in Japan. Thus, Halo isn’t particularly popular in Japan either. Though, Halo 3 ended up selling decently in Japan. There was also the anime film, Halo Legends. As well as a decent amount of Japanese made Halo merch, particularly from 1000 Toys/Sentinel & Square Enix’s Play Arts Kai.
    A translation of the comments on a Japanese video about Doom Slayer in Smash, showed that many people didn’t know what Doom was but did compare the Slayer to Master Chief. So it seems like hardcore Japanese gamers have some mild knowledge of Halo, probably as “that American thing”. & yet again there’s another similarity to Dragon Quest; as hardcore American gamers largely knew of DQ as “that Japanese thing”.
    If Nintendo was truly worried about Chief’s reception in Japan, they could balance his reveal with a Japanese centric fan favorite like Tales’s Yuri or Puyo Puyo’s Arle
  • There’s the supposed rule of a Nintendo appearance being necessary for a character to get into Smash. There’s no proof this rule exists, but if it does then Chief is in a weird place where he’s appeared in the Switch versions of Minecraft & Fortnite. But the Halo series has not, as of now
Cons:
  • Microsoft already has a character in Fighter Pass 2 with :ultsteve:. As of now, Nintendo has not double dipped with a third party company in the same set of DLC. They didn’t do it in Smash 4’s DLC or Fighter Pass 1. It’s always possible they break this trend, especially for a character as big as Master Chief. But there’s also a greater possibility that they’d rather use that spot to work with a different company
  • Despite Microsoft & Nintendo’s newfound partnership, Halo is still a Xbox exclusive. It’s possible that one or both sides might be reluctant to add a character like this into Smash. Nintendo would be effectively promoting the Xbox brand (much more than with :ultbanjokazooie: sadly... stupid MS). While MS would be lending their golden goose to another system, though they don’t seem to care as much if the Fortnite appearance is an indicator of things.
  • Western characters are just now appearing in Smash for the first time after 20+ Years. It’s possible that Sakurai/Nintendo wants to take the introduction of these characters at a slow pace for now.

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Pros
  • The widest moveset potential IMO amongst his peers. Between regenerating shields, special equipment, Spartan Abilities, and the firearms from the UNSC, Covenant, and prometheans. That's not including anything we don't knowfrom Infinite or including general mechanics of the FPS genre.
  • Nintendo and Xbox's relationship is great right now.
  • Phil Spencer has stated that he doesnt want to make an "Xbox Smash Bros" and has shown that he'd rather put Xbox characters in Smash Bros twice now.
  • Halo is a massive franchise and is a huge gain for Smash Bros in terms of notoriety. Halo in a lot of ways popularized and revolutionized Shooters if not gaming as a whole. Launching the Xbox brand, setting standards for online gaming, the rise of machinima, including animation studio Rooster Teeth.
  • Halo is currently relevant thanks to Halo Infinite. The inclusion does work for marketing purposes.
  • Would be the first truly American made franchise in Smash.

Iffy
  • The realistic firearms is a sore spot. However with Bayonetta and especially Joker that rule seems to be broken.
  • Chief has made minor appearances on Switch. Nothing as definitive as Halo on Switch. However having a game on Nintendo was always more of a courtesy rather than a requirement (See Snake, Cloud, Joker etc)
  • Would he be fun? I think so, but the devs may not agree.

Cons
  • Steve is currently the Microsoft character of Vol 2. It's unlikely that Microsoft will get to double dip in the same pass
  • Chief's niche as a shooter hero can be repped by the likes of Doomguy, Tracer etc.
  • Shooters are notably unpopular in Japan. This would purely be a western pick.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
The Chief having the most moveset potential of a FPS rep is a great point. There’s such a wide variety of weapons & mechanics to pull from; there’s a good chance that if Chief gets in, they wouldn’t event scratch the surface.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I noticed people fear that Chief will be campy.

There are ways to balance him out. Make his projectile more powerful than average (yes even his standard magnum and assault rifle) but Chief can only gain ammo by melee... or just melee makes reload faster. This is reference to Black Eye skull. In the original game, it's for shield only. But in Smash, it also includes ammo for balance.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I definitely think there’s ways to design around that. In Halo, you constantly have to move around the level/map. So I imagine Sakurai & his team would be able to incorporate that into a Chief moveset.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I noticed people fear that Chief will be campy.

There are ways to balance him out. Make his projectile more powerful than average (yes even his standard magnum and assault rifle) but Chief can only gain ammo by melee... or just melee makes reload faster. This is reference to Black Eye skull. In the original game, it's for shield only. But in Smash, it also includes ammo for balance.
It depends on what weapons Chief gets. The Assault Rifle is a good blance between long range and short range weaponry. But if they include things like the Battle Rifle and Sniper Rifle he might get campy. However if they give him a shotgun and strong melee/grabs he'd be more aggressive.

The Master Chief was designed to be adaptable in any situation.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
It’d probably be a mix of short/mid range weapons & long range weapons. That would represent Halo & the FPS genre the best.

I think it’d be a neat gimmick if he’d have to swap between long range & mid/short range weapons throughout the match. Mimicking Halo’s weapon switching.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
It depends on what weapons Chief gets. The Assault Rifle is a good blance between long range and short range weaponry. But if they include things like the Battle Rifle and Sniper Rifle he might get campy. However if they give him a shotgun and strong melee/grabs he'd be more aggressive.

The Master Chief was designed to be adaptable in any situation.
Weapons like sniper rifle would be drop weapon that Chief can call like Steve does with his toolbox. It would have limited ammo. After few shots, it's discarded. Only magnum and assault rifle would be his permanent weapons.

It’d probably be a mix of short/mid range weapons & long range weapons. That would represent Halo & the FPS genre the best.

I think it’d be a neat gimmick if he’d have to swap between long range & mid/short range weapons throughout the match. Mimicking Halo’s weapon switching.
Yep. That should be it. Two weapon system. Starting weapon = magnum and assault rifle.
Chief can call weapon drop like weapon pod dropped by pelican. That should include shotgun, plasma pistol, sniper rifle and rocket launcher at least. These weapons have limited ammo. And they will be discarded once they are out of ammo. Chief switch back to his default weapon. And weapon drop pod can hit like truck. I'm not sure whether that's worth implementing.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Weapons like sniper rifle would be drop weapon that Chief can call like Steve does with his toolbox. It would have limited ammo. After few shots, it's discarded. Only magnum and assault rifle would be his permanent weapons.

Yep. That should be it. Two weapon system. Starting weapon = magnum and assault rifle.
Chief can call weapon drop like weapon pod dropped by pelican. That should include shotgun, plasma pistol, sniper rifle and rocket launcher at least. These weapons have limited ammo. And they will be discarded once they are out of ammo. Chief switch back to his default weapon. And weapon drop pod can hit like truck. I'm not sure whether that's worth implementing.
Also, Chief has GOT to have the Needler and Energy Sword somewhere in his moveset, they're too iconic to Halo to not be there

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Also, Chief has GOT to have the Needler and Energy Sword somewhere in his moveset, they're too iconic to Halo to not be there
Oh definitely. But, I think general consensus is that Energy Sword should be base weapon. I know it kinda breaks two weapon system, but it would be fine. Or they can add Energy Sword as a part of drop weapons, but I don't know how that would work.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I imagine the Energy Sword could be used in his tilts, aerials & maybe even his dash attack. The Gravity Hammer HAS to be one of his Smash attacks too.

Edit:
Stealing this from the Newcomer thread but Master Chief/Halo: Infinite is on the latest issue of Famitsu. Perhaps a sign that MS is trying to push Halo/Xbox in Japan again?

0868867C-1D4B-4C40-AA2E-7C77CBCBDFA1.jpeg

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Top Bottom