• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Xbox's plan is to use GamePass and XCloud.
It's not necessarily a case of porting the MCC (which would be a nightmare considering file sizes and the spaghetti code among other things), it's a case of whether or not Nintendo will be happy to allow GamePass and XCloud on the system.
I heard idea of allowing Gamepass Switch version that doesn't have overlapped games. Third party games that aren't under Xbox Studio would be excluded, but Xbox first party games that aren't available on Switch would be on Gamepass... kinda like how PC Gamepass is different from Xbox version.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
The thing is what does Microsoft have really to gain from Banjo and Steve in Smash from a financial standpoint.. Minecraft already makes them boatloads of money and Banjo hasn't had a new game sinve 2008.. Microsoft must have demanded something from Nintendo in return

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
The thing is what does Microsoft have really to gain from Banjo and Steve in Smash from a financial standpoint.. Minecraft already makes them boatloads of money and Banjo hasn't had a new game sinve 2008.. Microsoft must have demanded something from Nintendo in return
Eh, not exactly. I think it’s possible that Microsoft could’ve asked Nintendo to add Chief when negotiating those two. But Steve & Banjo have their own reasons from Microsoft too.

Steve is beneficial to Microsoft because it keeps Minecraft in the spotlight. It’s also just really good marketing to have him in Smash alongside so many other gaming legends. It really cements Minecraft as a legendary game that stands alongside the likes of Mario, Pac-Man & Sonic.

With Banjo, I think Microsoft was using Smash to see how popular the series truly is. They did something similar with Battletoads. The Battletoads appeared in Shovel Knight & Killer Instinct, those appearances proved to be popular so MS green lit a new BT game.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Eh, not exactly. I think it’s possible that Microsoft could’ve asked Nintendo to add Chief when negotiating those two. But Steve & Banjo have their own reasons from Microsoft too.

Steve is beneficial to Microsoft because it keeps Minecraft in the spotlight. It’s also just really good marketing to have him in Smash alongside so many other gaming legends. It really cements Minecraft as a legendary game that stands alongside the likes of Mario, Pac-Man & Sonic.

With Banjo, I think Microsoft was using Smash to see how popular the series truly is. They did something similar with Battletoads. The Battletoads appeared in Shovel Knight & Killer Instinct, those appearances proved to be popular so MS green lit a new BT game.
Ah I see... Random thought, if Chief does ever make playable status.. If Nintendo objects to bullets, Chief could always use Hardlight ammo for the Assault Rifle, Sniper, Shotgun, etc.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Ah I see... Random thought, if Chief does ever make playable status.. If Nintendo objects to bullets, Chief could always use Hardlight ammo for the Assault Rifle, Sniper, Shotgun, etc.
Yeah I’ve seen that idea throw around too. Alternatively he could just mainly use Covenant & Forerunner weapons. Maybe include the Rocket Launcher, UNSC grenades & Grenade launcher too.

I don’t think they’d care with Chief though. UNSC weaponry doesn’t really look like anything we have IRL. I think they’re mainly just scared of say Snake shooting an AK-47 in Smash, something’s people could actually get their hands on.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, the last Partner Showcase came and went without a single Spartan in sight. Aside from Ancient Greece, that is.

You know, all these rumblings about a possible "Switch Pro" make me think that the reason we haven't heard about the rumored MCC port yet is because that would make use of the model's improved specs. At best, we won't hear of it until Winter.

In regards to Banjo, I think the partial reason was because of cleaning up character requests from older polls in Japan. If I'm not mistaken, he was on one that was done way back in 1999: https://smashboards.com/threads/i-think-this-might-be-interesting-to-look-at-melee-1999-poll.81891/

Using a really old request definitely helped to break the ice in regards to friendly negotiations, at the least.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Tartarus would be a cool stage boss. I was thinking that Sentinels & Jackal snipers could occasionally attack the fighters. Maybe even Grunts chucking plasma grenades.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Probably, but just harmless speculation. Even with the Halo Infinite setbacks, is good to know the MCC updates/it on PC isn't being mucked up.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Would it be too much if the Arbiter was a whole character swap for Chief in similar fashion to the gender or character swaps in the game? Could their movesets be an amalgamation like Simon & Richter's movesets or do they play too differently?

I'm asking cause I seem to notice that the Arbiter is very popular among Halo fans (also just getting into Halo via watching other people play since my PC sucks for games & might never get an Xbox).

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Would it be too much if the Arbiter was a whole character swap for Chief in similar fashion to the gender or character swaps in the game? Could their movesets be an amalgamation like Simon & Richter's movesets or do they play too differently?

I'm asking cause I seem to notice that the Arbiter is very popular among Halo fans (also just getting into Halo via watching other people play since my PC sucks for games & might never get an Xbox).
It could be possible. They control exactly the same in Halo 2 & 3. But I’m not sure how their hit boxes would work in Smash due to the drastically different designs.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
It could be possible. They control exactly the same in Halo 2 & 3. But I’m not sure how their hit boxes would work in Smash due to the drastically different designs.
The hitboxes already in-game aren't that accurate to the proportions of the characters anyways. Plus many characters aren't their actual size compared to other characters in their series.

The only thing I could see an issue with is the idle animations, taunts & victory screens needing to be different.

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
Friendly reminder that Halo does not need to be released on a Nintendo system to include Master Chief. Cloud was added in Smash 4 despite FF7 never being released on a Nintendo system at the time (FF7 came out for the Switch last year) and Persona 5 is still Playstation exclusive.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I think it'd be great if the reveal trailer was at some place where the Nintendo name wasn't visible (like The Game Awards) and of course no slash to open the trailer. I miss the sheer surprise the Joker reveal brought.

Also, could you add me to the support list?

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
If we get a reveal trailer with Nintendo characters at the beginning, instead of a fake out like Joker’s, then I definitely think Fox, Samus & maybe Snake should show up.

It could be a continuation of Ridley’s trailer. Fox has now joined Samus’s fight against Ridley, until they break out of that building & land in a grassy area. Ridley is about to unleash a large attack on the two heroes until he a blue orb gets stuck on his head. Ridley goes flying as the orb explodes. Samus & Fox look up to see Master Chief pulling out his Assault Rifle with a Halo ring overhead in the sky.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I was thinking about some of Chief's animations

One of his taunts could be reloading whatever weapon he has on him..

His stage entrance could be him dropping down in a UNSC drop pod....

As for victory animations, I have an idea for that...

Victory Animation #1: Chief fires two SMGs at the camera before posing (in reference to the Halo 2 Box Art).

Victory Animation #2:

Master Chief falls from the sky and lands fist into the ground on his knees. He stands triumphantly and looks off into the distance with his rifle at his side.. while saying "This fight is finished"

Victory Animation #3:
Chief pulls out Cortana from his helmet. He says "Cortana, I'm done here", They look to each other for a second before both looking at the screen, the name splash following afterwards.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

Aaaand here’s another example of Microsoft pushing Master Chief/Halo heavily. At this point, I think Microsoft had to have atleast asked Nintendo about Smash. Maybe Nintendo didn’t want it or maybe we’re in the best timeline where they wanted it. 🤷

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Aaaand here’s another example of Microsoft pushing Master Chief/Halo heavily. At this point, I think Microsoft had to have atleast asked Nintendo about Smash. Maybe Nintendo didn’t want it or maybe we’re in the best timeline where they wanted it. 🤷
At this stage I'm still waiting for that MCC Switch port Zell has teased months ago. That's the sole determining factor for me.

Top Bottom