• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I know that people are excited and all...but can you cool it?

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Hyping over advanced techs. can be a pain sometimes, however, serious competators will strive to find all of the greatest strategies ASAP. As time passes, and we have had Brawl for a while, we can confirm tiers, adv. techs. But for now, we are all part of the hype and slowly disecting the entire game, whether some like it or not.

Big Bob

Smash Apprentice
Wow, I see a lot of respectful yet disagreeing comments, and I see a lot of ******* comments.

I've been watching a lot of competitive Brawl videos and enjoying them, and I can honestly say that I've never been more excited for a video game in my life. But it's hard for me to swallow all these advanced techniques when I don't even know Pokemon Trainer's basic moveset.

And what's also frustrating is that already players are gravitating towards the same old Fox, Marth, Shiek, etc. I want to know how the old characters have changed, and what the new characters are capable of. I don't think I've seen Kirby or Meta Knight in a competitive video yet, and Olimar looks like he'll have a really fun moveset, so why haven't more people been using him?

That's something else that could be said; if you want to try to be as good as you can from the start, that's fine, but it pains me to see favoritism so early. All my competitive friends agree that when we get the game, we'll have all the items on and test out all the stages. Since the exploding box can be turned off now, we might be looking at a new metagame in which items are okay. Certain stages may be alright too, but unless we test them in a competitive setting, we'll never know.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Wow, I see a lot of respectful yet disagreeing comments, and I see a lot of ******* comments.

I've been watching a lot of competitive Brawl videos and enjoying them, and I can honestly say that I've never been more excited for a video game in my life. But it's hard for me to swallow all these advanced techniques when I don't even know Pokemon Trainer's basic moveset.

And what's also frustrating is that already players are gravitating towards the same old Fox, Marth, Shiek, etc. I want to know how the old characters have changed, and what the new characters are capable of. I don't think I've seen Kirby or Meta Knight in a competitive video yet, and Olimar looks like he'll have a really fun moveset, so why haven't more people been using him?

That's something else that could be said; if you want to try to be as good as you can from the start, that's fine, but it pains me to see favoritism so early. All my competitive friends agree that when we get the game, we'll have all the items on and test out all the stages. Since the exploding box can be turned off now, we might be looking at a new metagame in which items are okay. Certain stages may be alright too, but unless we test them in a competitive setting, we'll never know.
Ignore the ****.

Also, I guess some people are still used to Fox/Marth/Sheik/whoever from Melee, so naturally they're going to see how they fare in Brawl too. You can't blame people for still wanting to use a character they were doing so well with before.

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
The game isn't even out in the U.S. yet and all these topics are popping up about advanced techniques and tricks to use competitively...

Just...stop.

So many people here have yet to even touch the game, and I'm finding all these techniques really annoying simply because people are treating this like it's already time to run tournies and stuff. It's a brand new game; lots of new options and things to explore. How many of these advanced players have even played the adventure mode yet?

Take some time to enjoy the game. In a few months it will wind up more competitive and we can smash each other to our heart's content. But...just have fun. Beat the Event matches and Classic modes. Try Adventure mode on Intense. Build some wacky stages. Play with Golden Hammers and Assist Trophies on. Sakurai put all these cool features in...just go and at least try them out. When we've gotten sick of all the bells and whistles, THEN we can learn all these advanced techniques.

And disclaimer: I am not a casual elitist. I enjoy playing items-off, Final Destination just as much as everybody. I just think the community is rushing into things too fast and not appreciating everything Sakurai's given us.

i kinda agree there are ppl who jump the gun and come out with lame advanced techs that are really basic moves. i think they should cool it until they find something that is worth sharing. but things like the falco laser infinite, edghoging messing up tether, snake interruptable up b...and those like that are worth knowing...but just a tweak the developers put in the game is not an advanced tech !!!!!!

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
it's called "Smash Boards"

I'm sorry. I don't like being a **** online. But I mean seriously.

SMASH Boards.

Milos

Smash Lord
Right… So who are you to tell us how we should experience a new game?

Why should we hold off trying to find ATs?
Many of us don’t like single player. For a lot of us, finding out ways to better are game against human opponents is infinitely more satisfying then completing a single player mode against overly aggressive predictable computers.
Unlocking the hidden characters is going to be more of a chore then leisure to me.

You may want to devote a whole month to fooling around with items, but some people would rather do out things, doesn’t mean you‘re enjoying the game anymore then they are.

Sakurai wants us to enjoy his game. Just cause he put a feature in, doesn’t mean we have to force ourselves in utilizing it.
haha trying to find assist trophies /lol stupid joke

Keku

Smash Apprentice
You do make a lot of sense, but I also understand the need for some people to test out new advanced tactics to see if the depth is still there. I'm sure I'll spend my first week playing Brawl like I played Melee for the first times, exploring and enjoying all the content.

Mama

Smash Ace

*decides not to flame* I see what you mean but there are a lot of people who have the game. The threads about advanced play are generally made by someone who has it and discovered something. I'm showing favoritism to characters I'm most interested in and I'm sure lots of others are so I don't think its too early to decide who you'll use. Part of the fun is discovering you really like a character you never thought about.

I also plan on playing around with all the items and stuff. The first thing I want to do is explore the game like items and stages and what not and of course the SSE.

I'd recommend reading the entire first post in this thread.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142507

Its about some people who have the game and have been playing and love it. They're not just average schmoes either if you have the time everyone should read it.

Chipperbane

Smash Rookie
I love how they're 'competitive', and not pro. Because it's the truth.

Professional people don't need glitches to trounce other people. Professional people can beat advanced techniques without them!

This whole 'I HATE ADVENTURE MODE' thing reminds of this one time... This one guild from World of Warcraft. They killed a boss by skipping past the hardest content. They were awesome, they were glorified as GODS until someone caught wind that they lagged through the floor. Sure, they killed the end boss fairly enoug; they also skipped 9 other bosses. But that didn't stop the community from rising up in arms and laughing at them.

They subsequently got banned, but that's neither here nor there.

Don't skip content just because it doesn't suit you. Besides, you might learn one of those 'superskilled' techniques in Subspace mode against a weird lightning cloud.

Yes, if it's so hard to figure it out, I'll tell you. I'm a casual player who thinks all this advanced tech bunk is useless.

Also, WTF, :lick: He just ate his own eye.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
What I don't understand is why people have to be so rude to new people or those that just don't understand something. You could nicely give them the reasons why the boards are this way or an explanation behind something, but most people choose to try and be smarta$$es and look stupid too.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
LOL

are you seriously complaining about how people enjoy this game?

If you think it's better to spend a while fooling around with all the other things first, fine, go and do that. But Don't try to tell other people how to enjoy a game they spent their money on.
Got that right. Some people were complaining about the game before. Now this guy is complaining about how much fun they're having with the game. When will this end?!

Also, Mama, will you join Play 2 Win?

Demon_machinE

Smash Journeyman
So, what the TC is saying is that we should suck *** for a couple of months before trying to not suck...

Yeah, there's a good way to build a solid competitive community.

What a douche bag.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
I love how they're 'competitive', and not pro. Because it's the truth.

Professional people don't need glitches to trounce other people. Professional people can beat advanced techniques without them!

This whole 'I HATE ADVENTURE MODE' thing reminds of this one time... This one guild from World of Warcraft. They killed a boss by skipping past the hardest content. They were awesome, they were glorified as GODS until someone caught wind that they lagged through the floor. Sure, they killed the end boss fairly enoug; they also skipped 9 other bosses. But that didn't stop the community from rising up in arms and laughing at them.

Don't skip content just because it doesn't suit you. Besides, you might learn one of those 'superskilled' techniques in Subspace mode against a weird lightning cloud.

Yes, if it's so hard to figure it out, I'll tell you. I'm a casual player who thinks all this advanced tech bunk is useless.

Also, WTF, :lick: He just ate his own eye.
*facepalm*

If you don't believe in advanced techs WHY ARE YOU EVEN HERE? This is a COMPETITIVE Smash community. You obviously don't understand how much advanced techs improve the competitive level of the game.
No pros don't NEED advanced techs to win, but they aren't foolish enough not to use them just because they "weren't intended" or some other bs. Anything that will improve your game is fair.... as long as you're not using a code device or a modded controller.

If you're just a Smash fanboy, and you're going to post this anti-competitive bs, then you don't belong here. Go back to Gamefaqs or 4chan or wherever you're from.

Pokkit

Smash Cadet
I understand where you are coming from; however, this board is for free communication. People can post what they want within the rules. They aren't going to stop. If they are having fun finding advanced techniques, there is no reason why they should stop. They will have to do all the 1P stuff anyway to unlock characters (unless you have people to brawl with...which makes me jealous). They paid their money; they should spend their time how they want.

I, for one, came here for the wealth of information here and to interact with other smashers so I'm not limited to my small group of friends that don't even live near me anymore (yay for college).

Also, after you've played melee enough, you will know the basics of how this game will work. However, beyond that, which is what people are discussing now, the metagame is entirely different. The more info, the better I think.

Bibbed

Smash Journeyman
So don't read the threads about advanced techs...

Personally I'm tired of seeing all the topics about Adventure Mode, character omissions, and other random BS. As far as I am concerned, if you wanna talk about that ****, then go post on GameFAQs.

... And I love the pic, Slik.

Mama

Smash Ace
What I don't understand is why people have to be so rude to new people or those that just don't understand something. You could nicely give them the reasons why the boards are this way or an explanation behind something, but most people choose to try and be smarta$$es and look stupid too.
Well its the net and people just love to put on their ***** hats and act like *****. Rather than trying to understand where a person is coming from they take all the stuff they don't want to agree with and just go bad on it.

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
Come on now Mumsy. I think flaming him is giving him the benifit of the doubt by not beleiving the hype of "Low post count = ******. Let me hold your hand little buddy!"

It's not like people don't lurk. And it's not like you make another one of these ****ty "pley OUR wey!" without knowing that it makes you look like an ***.

Got that right. Some people were complaining about the game before. Now this guy is complaining about how much fun they're having with the game. When will this end?!
Professional people don't need glitches to trounce other people. Professional people can beat advanced techniques without them!This whole 'I HATE ADVENTURE MODE' thing reminds of this one time... This one guild from World of Warcraft. They killed a boss by skipping past the hardest content. They were awesome, they were glorified as GODS until someone caught wind that they lagged through the floor. Sure, they killed the end boss fairly enoug; they also skipped 9 other bosses. But that didn't stop the community from rising up in arms and laughing at them.

The bold is an example of a tired arguement. Honestly, in Melee if two players with skill even remotely close fight, one using advance techs, one not, the latter would most certainly lose.

Don't skip content? They paid money for the game. They can do whatever the hell they want with it. If it's keeping you up a night, go find their homes and save their Brawl copies from their evil competition loving grubby hands.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Well if a new person comes in and acts rude, you can expect some people to react the same way.

If a veteran came in and acted rude, it would be the same.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Well vetrans have a little more leeway, depending on their reputation. People are more inclined to believe they're being sarcastic if they have a good reputation built up. They've earned respect and every now and then they flaunt it a little.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I get what your saying and do agree with it but none the less i'm going to bust out a qoute.

Connor: "ROCCO! Calm down!"

Rocco: "NO! you start getting excited Mother ****er!"

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
*sighs* Yet another casual vs. competitive war?

Why can't people just understand that using advanced techs is fine. Nobody's making YOU use them! Yes, I'm a casual, and it's about time other people realize this.

To the original poster: This is a competitive Smash site, of course this is going to be discussed... Honestly, if you don't like it you don't have to come here.

Chipperbane

Smash Rookie
*Facepalm*
No, you.

If you don't believe in advanced techs WHY ARE YOU EVEN HERE? This is a COMPETITIVE Smash community. You obviously don't understand how much advanced techs improve the competitive level of the game.
You obviously don't understand. Smash was never meant to be THIS competitive. You gripe and preach that it's epicly competitive, and advanced techniques are necessary and all. This is and has always been and will always be a casual fighting game. No matter how many glitches and other such things you find(need lol).

As to why I'm here? Because it seems not everyone is pro-advanced techniques lolz. 'Genereal Smash Brothers' discussion =/ Competitive Smash Brothers' discussion.

The title of the board is 'The Largest Smash Bros. Community.' Even if it IS the primary source for 'advanced techniques' that's no reason for you to get all up ons because someone disagrees and likes to chat about Smash with like minded people. In my short time here I can tell the competitive/casual is split pretty evenly.

No pros don't NEED advanced techs to win, but they aren't foolish enough not to use them just because they "weren't intended" or some other bs. Anything that will improve your game is fair.... as long as you're not using a code device or a modded controller.
Weren't intended? If it's not in the manual, it's not intended. IF it's not in the walkthrough/game guide, it's not intended! If you have to take weeks of hide and seek with the technique in order to find it, it's not intended! If you had to spend YEARS finding advanced techniques in Melee, it wasn't intended! If you actually had to name them because there was no official name, they weren't intended!

Christ.

If you're just a Smash fanboy, and you're going to post this anti-competitive bs, then you don't belong here. Go back to Gamefaqs or 4chan or wherever you're from.
You're pretty much repeating yourself now, but I'll accept that as running out of things to accuse me of. Anyhoo, my response basically ties in with the first thing I said.

Also. I go to GameFaQs for mah walkthroughslol. I don't go on 4chan, however, because I find it confusing and tiresome as hell.

Let me get this right... You think, just because I feel that I can kick *** without advanced techniques and am relatiely open and talkative about it, that I don't belong here? Forgive me for not requiring things that shouldn't be to improve my game in a casual game.

IF this was a competitive game, you'd notice a ranking system on the Brawl Online, nein?

Oh, and here's this gem.

The bold is an example of a tired arguement. Honestly, in Melee if two players with skill even remotely close fight, one using advance techs, one not, the latter would most certainly lose.
That just proves you need to rely on glitches to be good. lol@you

Don't skip content? They paid money for the game. They can do whatever the hell they want with it. If it's keeping you up a night, go find their homes and save their Brawl copies from their evil competition loving grubby hands.
I would love nothing better than to save their copies for my own use. It'd save me a month of waiting.

I suppose the old mantra that 'They paid for it they can do what they want' is regardless of how stupid and nonsensical it is. It's like a lady tap-dancing in stiletto heels. That may make her look ********, and the shoes may break, but she spent her money on them, so that's her own fault. She'll get the most odd looks, I assure you. But as long as she carries on that mantra, she'll feel good about herself.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
This thread is a pros vs joes kind of thing.

People that are casual players (me) and don't go to tournies but play for fun will agree that it's a bit ******** to waste all your time with a game that people are dying for to discover techniques, rather than making yourself better with a character. If it was discovered while playing is a different story, but even if you mention it, no one will care in a week, and they won't remember who discovered it.

But for the pros (and people that go to tournies anyways) it's good for them to learn new techniques to make some cash. Even though I find betting money on a video game to be stupid, they do it, and they need these techniques for better strategies to make money.

Chipperbane

Smash Rookie
someones jealous
Someone's spamming.

This thread is a pros vs joes kind of thing.
Pretty much.

People that are casual players (me) and don't go to tournies but play for fun will agree that it's a bit ******** to waste all your time with a game that people are dying for to discover techniques, rather than making yourself better with a character. If it was discovered while playing is a different story, but even if you mention it, no one will care in a week, and they won't remember who discovered it.
You won my heart, my friend. My heart is now yours. You put it much less hostile-y than I did.

What can I say? I'm not much of a people person. Confrontational and opinionated it what I've been called.

But on that note, people will be MArth, Shjiek, Fox, etc, and not need to play their characters as they pretty much act the same. So, sadface for all the newcomers who'll be largely ignored by the 'pros'.

But for the pros (and people that go to tournies anyways) it's good for them to learn new techniques to make some cash. Even though I find betting money on a video game to be stupid, they do it, and they need these techniques for better strategies to make money.
I'm not going to crucify them for needing the techniques to be good. I'll laugh at them, yes, and I'll try to dissuade them, but I'll play against them all the same the same way I'd play against anyone.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
But on that note, people will be MArth, Shjiek, Fox, etc, and not need to play their characters as they pretty much act the same. So, sadface for all the newcomers who'll be largely ignored by the 'pros'.
I've heard that each character plays a lot differently from one another, so people will probably be mixed with who they play as depending on their style.

And thanks lol, but you didn't need to say that. It was just my opinion :\.

courte

Smash Lord
Really everyone's just over-excited that it's here, after more then 2 years, and when we do have a slight grasp on it we tend to blow it out of proportion.

Remember when we thought Meta Knight was completely broken?
Or Fox is going to be bottom-tier?

Who knows, DK might turn out to have the e best FS if you time it, and maybe Shiek wasn't nerfed as badly as she's thought to be.

But, you have to give us some room to freak out, we've waited too long.
this was by no means the longest wait in video game history, and the delays are simple when compared to some of the other attrocities, even if most of them are fps.

if you need simply one example, duke nukem forever, which will suck, is how old now??

Ichida

Smash Ace
I don't know why you're all claiming this is another casual vs competitive thread. You people might have turned it into one, but this thread was supposed to be between people who are excited about the game coming out, and Big Bob.

The argument here is simple - we've waited years for this. It's perfectly reasonable to be as excited and anxious as we are. I get like this every time an epic RPG is being developed.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
No, you.

You obviously don't understand. Smash was never meant to be THIS competitive. You gripe and preach that it's epicly competitive, and advanced techniques are necessary and all. This is and has always been and will always be a casual fighting game. No matter how many glitches and other such things you find(need lol).

As to why I'm here? Because it seems not everyone is pro-advanced techniques lolz. 'Genereal Smash Brothers' discussion =/ Competitive Smash Brothers' discussion.

The title of the board is 'The Largest Smash Bros. Community.' Even if it IS the primary source for 'advanced techniques' that's no reason for you to get all up ons because someone disagrees and likes to chat about Smash with like minded people. In my short time here I can tell the competitive/casual is split pretty evenly.

Weren't intended? If it's not in the manual, it's not intended. IF it's not in the walkthrough/game guide, it's not intended! If you have to take weeks of hide and seek with the technique in order to find it, it's not intended! If you had to spend YEARS finding advanced techniques in Melee, it wasn't intended! If you actually had to name them because there was no official name, they weren't intended!

Christ.

You're pretty much repeating yourself now, but I'll accept that as running out of things to accuse me of. Anyhoo, my response basically ties in with the first thing I said.

Also. I go to GameFaQs for mah walkthroughslol. I don't go on 4chan, however, because I find it confusing and tiresome as hell.

Let me get this right... You think, just because I feel that I can kick *** without advanced techniques and am relatiely open and talkative about it, that I don't belong here? Forgive me for not requiring things that shouldn't be to improve my game in a casual game.

IF this was a competitive game, you'd notice a ranking system on the Brawl Online, nein?

Oh, and here's this gem.

I would love nothing better than to save their copies for my own use. It'd save me a month of waiting.

I suppose the old mantra that 'They paid for it they can do what they want' is regardless of how stupid and nonsensical it is. It's like a lady tap-dancing in stiletto heels. That may make her look ********, and the shoes may break, but she spent her money on them, so that's her own fault. She'll get the most odd looks, I assure you. But as long as she carries on that mantra, she'll feel good about herself.
You sure like to be annoying don't you. I don't care how much you kick *** without advanced techniques, but if you honestly get some ego-boost from playing the way it was intended and acting like AT's are glitches then you seriously don't know anything about the competitive scene.

To come here and say Smash isn't competitive is one of the dumbest things that people always seem to bring up. It's advertised as a party game, its 4-players, and its on Gamecube, so it must be a party game right? Thats why we've been playing competitive Smash for 6 years, with some great intense matches and incredibly deep gameplay.

If you truly think Smash was never meant to be a deep fighter, then explain ledgehopping, ledgeteching, powershielding, L-canceling, short-hopping, lightshielding, dash-dancing, jump-canceling, crouch-canceling, or even Smash DI? More than half these techniques are even used by CPUs, anybody can see these were all intended to be in the game. In fact, I can count the amount of glitches actually used in competitive play on one hand. Don't even start to say they're cheap or broken, because if they were they would be banned.

You think you know whats cheap and broken? Tell that to the entire competitive community who analyzed these techniques through actual tournament experience. Did you know that in early tournaments items were actually used? Nope, because you just think the competitive community just isn't open to anything right? Fox on Fox FTW!

The game is competitive, whether Sakurai intended it or not. Only arrogant purists think its wrong to play the game the way its not intended, and Smash purists are the worst of them all since they still go against a 6 year competitive scene. Maybe if you think its wrong to be sliding across the floor I don't care, but your not going to get cookies for not doing it.

A video game isn't all-appreciable. Any fighter worth two ****s has a competitive scene that influences the gameplay and evolves it into something deeper. Guilty Gear is a huge culmination of this, almost as if it had been made by the competitive community itself. Saying you aren't pro-advanced techniques is pretty much calling the entire community wrong. Sakurai developed Melee for around 2 years maybe? How much time do you think went into balancing gameplay and testing everything, half a year? Well guess what, we've had 12 times that much experience.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Says who, the guy who knows nothing about the competative scene. It's not up to you how competative the game is, it's up to the competative players how competative the game is. Have you ever once thought that smash could please a competative audiance as well as the casual one. Why are you the one deciding the will of the creator. Wasn't smash meant to be a video game that people liked? Well, a lot of people like competative games over casual games, and if smash can fit that description then it's fulfiled its purpose for those people.
Smash world forums is a competative gaming forum. The entire point of this forum is to talk about stratagies and nuances pertaining to smash. General Smash Bros. discussion=discussion of general stratagies pertaining to smash.

That's only because of the surge of newcomers before brawl's release. The majority of these people will leave a month or two after the game comes out, and the ones that stay will be the ones that are actually interested in what smash is like on a competative level. Even if they're not competative players themselves, the casuals that end up staying are the ones that can at least understand our point of view and let us play the game the way we want to play without complaining about our style.

So I suppose short hopping wasn't intended. I suppose DI wasn't intended (or SDI and ASDI for that matter). I guess Z-canceling wasn't intended in smash 64 (even though the official site tells you how to do it). I guess jumping out of your shield wasn't intended. I guess edgehogging wasn't intended (even thought the game gives you a bonus for doing so). I think you need a new definition of the word "intended."

STFU

No, it's because you're being an *** towards the competative scene in general, and trying to deny us of our way of fun. Advance techs are fun for us. We don't care about the casual scene because it doesn't affect us. You can play however you want. What we do care about is when people like you impose your way of thought on us, and try to make the game worse for us just so that you don't have to work as hard to compete with us (despite not even being a competative player.) I don't think casual players are inferior, I think that they like to play the game a way that I don't particularly like to play, so I don't play with them for that reason.
Because playing online is the same as competing in tournaments? In case you haven't noticed, rankings online are not nearly as important as actual tournament placings.

Oh, and here's this gem.

No, it means that we like to use gameplay elements to make the game more exciting for us. The competative mindset is play to win. Advance techs help you win more. Competative players learn advance techs so that they have an edge when fighting each other. The casual scene is a completely different and equal mindset. Really casual players and competative players don't often enjoy fighting the opposite side, and much prefer fights against each other. You guys may not need advance techs, but we like advance techs and thus we will look for any gameplay element we could us.

So your saying that we shouldn't play the game competatively because it's different then the way you want to play? Wouldn't it be much easier for you to simply not enter the competative scene and continue playing the way you do now? You should realize that you will never actually have to play against competative players. You can easily find casual players to fight on wi-fi. Smash world forums is the largest competative smash site, and is a place where competative players gather and share information. We are a whopping 1% of the total smash population, and yet for some reason you think that our decisions affect you?

Chipperbane

Smash Rookie
You sure like to be annoying don't you. I don't care how much you kick *** without advanced techniques, but if you honestly get some ego-boost from playing the way it was intended(rofl heaven forbid) and (Now, look down)acting like AT's are glitches then you seriously don't know anything about the competitive scene.

To come here and say Super Smash Bros Meleeisn't competitive is one of the dumbest things that people always seem to bring up. It's advertised as a party game, its 4-players, and its on Gamecube, so it must be a party game right? Thats why we've been playing competitive Super Smash Bros Melee for 6 years, with some great intense matches and incredibly deep gameplay.

If you truly think Super Smash Bros Melee was never meant to be a deep fighter, then explain ledgehopping, ledgeteching, powershielding, L-canceling, short-hopping, lightshielding, dash-dancing, jump-canceling, crouch-canceling, or even Smash DI? More than half these techniques are even used by CPUs, anybody can see these were all intended to be in the game. In fact, (You seem to agree that they are glitches. Even if you don't up there. You're flip-flopping better than Kerry!)I can count the amount of glitches actually used in competitive play on one hand. Don't even start to say they're cheap or broken, because if they were they would be banned.

You think you know whats cheap and broken? Tell that to the entire competitive community who analyzed these techniques through actual tournament experience. Did you know that in early tournaments items were actually used?(Heaven forbid.) Nope, because you just think the competitive community just isn't open to anything right? Fox on Fox FTW!

The game is competitive, whether Sakurai intended it or not. Only arrogant purists think its wrong to play the game the way its not intended, and Smash purists are the worst of them all since they still go against a 6 year competitive scene. Maybe if you think its wrong to be sliding across the floor I don't care, but your not going to get cookies for not doing it.

A video game isn't all-appreciable. Any fighter worth two ****s has a competitive scene that influences the gameplay and evolves it into something deeper. Guilty Gear is a huge culmination of this, almost as if it had been made by the competitive community itself. Saying you aren't pro-advanced techniques is pretty much calling the entire community wrong. Sakurai developed Melee for around 2 years maybe? How much time do you think went into balancing gameplay and testing everything, half a year? Well guess what, we've had 12 times that much experience.
Fixed.

You're assuming that because you people made Super Smash Bros Melee competitive, you can do so again.

This isn't Melee. Stop trying to make it so. This is Brawl. At least find ATs over years and not in a week. Besides, Christ! Irritating.

As for purist? Always.

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
I say we read all the techniques and try them out ourselves when the game comes out, but there's no stopping people from posting threads "NEW GLITCH" or whatever.

I'm just gonna take it easy and enjoy the game.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
Fixed.

You're assuming that because you people made Super Smash Bros Melee competitive, you can do so again.

This isn't Melee. Stop trying to make it so. This is Brawl. At least find ATs over years and not in a week. Besides, Christ! Irritating.

As for purist? Always.
Why shouldn't we expect a sequel to be just as competitive if not more? Smash 64 was competitive, Melee was competitive, Brawl will be too. I'm just saying your being arrogant and annoying, honestly.

Also, none of the stuff I mentioned were glitches.

PS: Like I said, video games aren't all-appreciable. Whats wrong with trying to make it into something better?(Thats not to say Brawl might not be better than Melee) Don't tell me, it takes away all of Sakurai's hard work that went into making it different right? Why do people think this way? Christ...

Top Bottom