• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I know that people are excited and all...but can you cool it?

Big Bob

Smash Apprentice
The game isn't even out in the U.S. yet and all these topics are popping up about advanced techniques and tricks to use competitively...

Just...stop.

So many people here have yet to even touch the game, and I'm finding all these techniques really annoying simply because people are treating this like it's already time to run tournies and stuff. It's a brand new game; lots of new options and things to explore. How many of these advanced players have even played the adventure mode yet?

Take some time to enjoy the game. In a few months it will wind up more competitive and we can smash each other to our heart's content. But...just have fun. Beat the Event matches and Classic modes. Try Adventure mode on Intense. Build some wacky stages. Play with Golden Hammers and Assist Trophies on. Sakurai put all these cool features in...just go and at least try them out. When we've gotten sick of all the bells and whistles, THEN we can learn all these advanced techniques.

And disclaimer: I am not a casual elitist. I enjoy playing items-off, Final Destination just as much as everybody. I just think the community is rushing into things too fast and not appreciating everything Sakurai's given us.

Ichida

Smash Ace
Umm. hi. People have been playing the Japanese version. Lots of people here have it.

Do a little research before you flame everybody.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Umm. hi. People have been playing the Japanese version. Lots of people here have it.

Do a little research before you flame everybody.
Sure, youre right Ichida, lots of people DO have the game. However, cooling it with all these advanced technique topics, names for advanced techniques, tier lists, and all of these things is just unecessary at this point.

And it really is driving me to the point of insanity every time I see someone starting a new topic naming a technique thats not even there. Yeah, Ive seen this.

Its like the prophets pre-brawl.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
yea he does but ssbm lasted 6 yrs....well have enought time to do everything till we puke

Ichida

Smash Ace
I came to this site specifically to LEARN all this advanced stuff so I would have a chance to win tournaments, not to mention catch up to my local rivals. When it comes to competition for me, either go with the flow or get left in the dust.

Master_Yang

Smash Cadet
I'm only a casual player myself, but I'm having a lot of fun seeing the pros work out new things that can be done with this game already. I'll admit, I was nervous that Brawl couldn't live up to the hype. Seeing all this stuff popping up already does a lot to quell my fears, if that makes any sense.

Oh, and as far as having fun is concerned...I think to a lot of the people around here, the advanced techniques and things like that are where a lot of the fun is. I'm sure they're doing plenty of playing around too. Why not enjoy the bells and whistles while you work out cool techniques?

Sumenora

Smash Apprentice
The game isn't even out in the U.S. yet and all these topics are popping up about advanced techniques and tricks to use competitively...

Just...stop.

So many people here have yet to even touch the game, and I'm finding all these techniques really annoying simply because people are treating this like it's already time to run tournies and stuff. It's a brand new game; lots of new options and things to explore. How many of these advanced players have even played the adventure mode yet?

Take some time to enjoy the game. In a few months it will wind up more competitive and we can smash each other to our heart's content. But...just have fun. Beat the Event matches and Classic modes. Try Adventure mode on Intense. Build some wacky stages. Play with Golden Hammers and Assist Trophies on. Sakurai put all these cool features in...just go and at least try them out. When we've gotten sick of all the bells and whistles, THEN we can learn all these advanced techniques.

And disclaimer: I am not a casual elitist. I enjoy playing items-off, Final Destination just as much as everybody. I just think the community is rushing into things too fast and not appreciating everything Sakurai's given us.

i understand where your coming from... however......people will attempt to find whatever they can from the japanese version when its time to play the american version.......these so call.."hardcore players/competitive players" wants the edge on the game ahead of time before the game actually is released.......actually this gives me a advantage as well....as people are finding ATs in advance in result...i get a step ahead on playing with the big players along when the us release comes.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
the competitive side is this. most of the competitive community wants to get the game as fast as possible, learn everything about it, and then master the characters they see are the greatest threats in the game. they don't care about appreciating items or all the game modes. they will just do what's neccessary to unlock all the characters and stages so then they can become the best at brawl. they will take time to love the game by playing it competitively, which if you haven't figured that out yet, is the way they wish to play the game. the competitive players can play how they want. and you are obviously not a competitive player if you are complaining about how they are already trying to master brawl.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
Right… So who are you to tell us how we should experience a new game?

Why should we hold off trying to find ATs?
Many of us don’t like single player. For a lot of us, finding out ways to better are game against human opponents is infinitely more satisfying then completing a single player mode against overly aggressive predictable computers.
Unlocking the hidden characters is going to be more of a chore then leisure to me.

You may want to devote a whole month to fooling around with items, but some people would rather do out things, doesn’t mean you‘re enjoying the game anymore then they are.

Sakurai wants us to enjoy his game. Just cause he put a feature in, doesn’t mean we have to force ourselves in utilizing it.

pirkid

Smash Lord
Really everyone's just over-excited that it's here, after more then 2 years, and when we do have a slight grasp on it we tend to blow it out of proportion.

Remember when we thought Meta Knight was completely broken?
Or Fox is going to be bottom-tier?

Who knows, DK might turn out to have the e best FS if you time it, and maybe Shiek wasn't nerfed as badly as she's thought to be.

But, you have to give us some room to freak out, we've waited too long.

DTR

Smash Journeyman
I'm only a casual player myself, but I'm having a lot of fun seeing the pros work out new things that can be done with this game already. I'll admit, I was nervous that Brawl couldn't live up to the hype. Seeing all this stuff popping up already does a lot to quell my fears, if that makes any sense.

Oh, and as far as having fun is concerned...I think to a lot of the people around here, the advanced techniques and things like that are where a lot of the fun is. I'm sure they're doing plenty of playing around too. Why not enjoy the bells and whistles while you work out cool techniques?
Very well put. This explains everything.

Eaode

Smash Champion
LOL

are you seriously complaining about how people enjoy this game?

If you think it's better to spend a while fooling around with all the other things first, fine, go and do that. But Don't try to tell other people how to enjoy a game they spent their money on.

What do you care? Just ignore it if you it bothers you. It's not like people are going to stop because you made this topic.

Ruggeth

Smash Journeyman
I was waiting on the December 3rd release of the game.

And I'm asked to cool it? Erm, no.

tect

Smash Journeyman
i totally understand where you're coming from Big Bob... but this isn't the place.
People will play how they like!

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
People can do what they want. I know when I get the game I'll try all the modes first. However, all these new discoveries are very interesting and make the wait more bearable.

The only thing that irritates me on these boards is the casual vs pro arguments. Who gives a flying fudge cake. Play how you want!

skullkidd

Smash Ace
As much as I get annoyed with the professionals and all their fancy language, I've learned to just ignore those topics.
You should too.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
There is still some speculation, but it's becoming more and more rare now that the game is out in Japan. We're getting facts now a lot of the time.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
i tried yesterday bob, except mine was more of an angry rant. a lot of people agree with us, but the majority of the people don't care and will continue to post the same things over and over again.

ComradeSAL

Smash Journeyman
If people are enjoying themselves by attempting to find AT's now that the game is out, who are you to say they can't have fun? No one's forcing you to look at the threads.

This "you should have fun the way I envision it" mentality is a plague.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
This is a competitive fighting game board... People here live to find glitches and exploits that they would use all the time and give a name to like wavedashing or inkdropping. It's what all competitive fighting game fans do, but SSB doesn't suffer for it because it aims for the casual fanbase, because the core fans will buy it regardless.

Tank McCannon

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Bros. Brawl is meant for everyone. Sakurai put in many options so people can enjoy the game however they like.

The board was created for the more competitive side of Smash, so when you come here, don't be upset when you see people analyzing the game closely so soon. That's how we get joy out of the game, figuring out how we can get better and better.

If it's not your cup of tea, that's perfectly fine, but coming to a competitive board may not be the best idea.

coldkilla30

Smash Cadet
I could really care less what anyone else is doing with their copy of the game when they get it. If people want to go nuts about finding AT's then by all means go for it. I'll just watch a video or read an explanation of how to pull it off just like i did with melee. That's how most people find out how to do certain techniques anyway.

retro gamer 6

Smash Journeyman
I came to this site specifically to LEARN all this advanced stuff so I would have a chance to win tournaments, not to mention catch up to my local rivals. When it comes to competition for me, either go with the flow or get left in the dust.
he still has a point. if you joined to learn advanced techniques, then don't comment here. we don't need negative thoughts here. don't waste your time here. move on. don't be surprised if one of us beats you regardless if you're ahead on the advanced techniques.:p

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
he still has a point. if you joined to learn advanced techniques, then don't comment here. we don't need negative thoughts here. don't waste your time here. move on. don't be surprised if one of us beats you regardless if you're ahead on the advanced techniques.:p
Or you could also just not come to a competative forum if you're not a competative player?
And advance techs are just for enhancing our game. It makes matches more fun for us, so of course we're going to learn them.

I could really care less what anyone else is doing with their copy of the game when they get it. If people want to go nuts about finding AT's then by all means go for it. I'll just watch a video or read an explanation of how to pull it off just like i did with melee. That's how most people find out how to do certain techniques anyway.
That might take a while. We probably won't be making a tutorial until we've gotten used to the advance techs ourselves.

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
It facsinates me that these threads get dumber and dumber every day closer to the release we get.

"D00d dunt pley da gam liek dat!"

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
I haven't read everything here. Though I will say the TC partially makes a good point. Many people are getting ahead of themselves and trying to find all these advanced techs, when they haven't even learned the basics of the game yet.

Though in the end, people can play how they want, and the TC has no right to tell people how to play a game they have or will pay money for.

PokemonLegacy

Smash Apprentice

Just...stop.

People can post Spoilers until pigs fly, but as long as someone write a FAQ, its all worth it. BTW, have you tried the "Spoiler-Free" Forum?
EDIT:I think this user is Sakurai himself, secretly trying to kill off competetive players... XD

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
@OP

1) half the people here do have it

2) this board is about speculation... where have you been the last 3 years?

3) all of the posts that are not locked by moderators are typically relevant, and you have no right to say what can and can't be posted. we're not going to suddenly shut down the boards just cause you don't like the threads. all you have to do is simply not click on them.

Top Bottom