• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have a question for Ike pros???

lil cj

Smash Lord
Hey wats up Ike community
I main Ike, but Im having some trouble.
I get beaten badly by fast characters(which is obvious b/c Ike is so slow)
But when I see/play against Ike pros they have no problem beating faster characters.
How do u do it??
They make Ike look like he has no lag on his moves at all and makes him seem faster.
Any advice for an Ike noob??
I really need some help to improve my Ike

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
This isn't a bad stereo type but I've seen a lot of Pit mainers asking for help with other characters like in the Link boards. But besides the point,
Use faster moves.
QFT.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Spam the IASA (interruptible as soon as) frames on Ike's aerials. See this video for details. BAir can be autocanceled from a short-hop if you do it fast enough (the animation ends by the time you land if you jump and BAir right away, giving you only 4 frames of landing lag).

Against faster characters (I'm guessing people like Fox), you'll want to zone them out with FAir; abuse it's range and IASA frames by jabbing right after you land to shut down any potential approaches.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
Spam the IASA (interruptible as soon as) frames on Ike's aerials. See this video for details. BAir can be autocanceled from a short-hop if you do it fast enough (the animation ends by the time you land if you jump and BAir right away, giving you only 4 frames of landing lag).

Against faster characters (I'm guessing people like Fox), you'll want to zone them out with FAir; abuse it's range and IASA frames by jabbing right after you land to shut down any potential approaches.
Very usefull. Also you should jab cancell and double jump Nairs and fairs. You can also auto cancel Dair And Fair if ou use a full hop instead of a SH. And if you use lotion it will be a piece of cake.

XACE-K

Smash Master
You just have to get better. When you play fast characters, learn from your mistakes and work upon that.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
- You want to do backwards fairs also. (jump, cstick -> forward, then use joystick to move backwards)
- If you don't use the C-stick for aerials, learn to, its much better.
- Don't roll excessively, his roll isn't great
- Don't spam quick draw
- Don't spam eruption
- Learn to RAR (reverse aerial rush)
- Spam jab cancels (lol)

This is debatable, but I would suggest not using quick draw to recover unless you have to. If you can recover using aether, then use it.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
i dont recognize anyone who posted here w/e
usually against fast people you should grab and break there flow and you should be fine also if its not marth play keep away

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Use Ike's monster melee range to your advantage, just because he is slow doesn't mean he has some stuff going for him, his dash attack goes further and most other peoples dash attacks, his fair is the longest in the game, his Usmash goes all around him, sometiems his Dsmash can hit the other side at touching range, meaning where teh sword isn't striking at. not sure what else to ya bud.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Well its given you don't recognize anyone. No one is pro with Ike yet except for a few. I play in southern Ontario, so my Ike gets lots of good practice, so I am certainly not garbage.

smashfriend

Smash Rookie
Hey wats up Ike community
I main Ike, but Im having some trouble.
I get beaten badly by fast characters(which is obvious b/c Ike is so slow)
But when I see/play against Ike pros they have no problem beating faster characters.
How do u do it??
They make Ike look like he has no lag on his moves at all and makes him seem faster.
Any advice for an Ike noob??
I really need some help to improve my Ike
well i have notice with some fighter move fast with there shield roll try tha
or you could start with a grab and work you way up ive never realy had this problum with ike

Jporiey

Smash Cadet
well i have notice with some fighter move fast with there shield roll try tha
or you could start with a grab and work you way up ive never realy had this problum with ike

please, this isnt a text message or a brothel, please dont **** the english language

noobslayer

Smash Apprentice
Just wanting to add in a point here that a lot of beginners fail to notice....

The OP pointed out that he had trouble with fast characters because Ike is slow, however any good player in ANY fighting game knows that this is essentially BS. There is absolutely nothing that makes faster characters have a particular advantage over slower character, of course there are tiers, but slower characters are going to have compensation in ranger power, etc. and it is illogical that they would simply have 'trouble' with fast characters. Dedede has ZERO problems with Falcon, lol.

Roager

Smash Ace
Just wanting to add in a point here that a lot of beginners fail to notice....

The OP pointed out that he had trouble with fast characters because Ike is slow, however any good player in ANY fighting game knows that this is essentially BS. There is absolutely nothing that makes faster characters have a particular advantage over slower character, of course there are tiers, but slower characters are going to have compensation in ranger power, etc. and it is illogical that they would simply have 'trouble' with fast characters. Dedede has ZERO problems with Falcon, lol.
Uh, no. Slow characters are balanced, no doubt, but that doesn't mean that someone like DDD has a good matchup against someone like Falcon. I'd like to know why the smash community seems to be hatin on Falcon so much, anyway. But that's not the point. The point is that Fox, if played to emphasize speed, is incredibly hard to beat. Even as another fast character. The reason people like speed is because they realize that it is very hard to find openings and weak points against a fast fighter. That would explain why Brawl has (debatably) 5 slows (Ganny, Boozer, DDD, DK, Charzard) out of its roughly 40 characters. Demand is high for fast characters. Granted, this is not to say that everyone in brawl is fast. Snake and G+W aren't fast, we all know Link's far from speedy. Plus, all the middlin' characters, like Mario, Luigi, ROB, etc. But still. 5 slows of 40 fasts is hardly proportional.

Point is, slows are at a disadvantage, like it or not. They're not doomed, of course; the disadvantage is overcome-able. Speed isn't a deciding factor, but it is a factor. To say that Falcon is useless against DDD is asenine.

EDIT: I apologize for ranting, it just needed to be said. I think...

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
First off it's asinine, if you are going to try and sound smart at least do it right.

second stop posting and spend the next month reading. If you do post post in stickies because this is where the dumb questions do no harm. (like keeping useless topics alive)

Third, screw this your post is just so wrong that I can't even argue against it since it contradicts it self and is just completely wrong pretty much word for word. You should apologize for ranting because it was definitly not needed to be said.

Top Bottom