• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I dont know what to do while fighting!

youngtweety

Smash Cadet
Hello guys!

I post here very infrequently, but I skulk around very often. I am a decent smash player. I wouldn't say I am tournament worthy by any means, but I have been beating up my friends since the first smash game. Of course, I know there is room for improvement and I want to play better.

Recently I picked up snake seriously for the first time. I read the snake survival guide and followed links there. I read almost all of the links in the everything you ever needed to know sticky. I can now DACUS, renew my cypher with C4, shield drop nades, and cook grenades to perfection. I know Snakes jabs, tilts, and all.

Even though I know all this stuff, I find myself sitting there in battle not knowing what to do. What should I be doing if my opponent is far away? Near? Being defensive? Offensive? Go through your snake game and tell me what you do and how you react. I have tried watching competition vids but it didn't help much. Give me the analysis of what is happening. Please help.

Thanks guys!
Ytweety

youngtweety

Smash Cadet
I apologize if I come across as harsh, but I dislike thread nazis.
First of all, I did not mean to sound condescending or narcissistic in my post, I just wanted to let you know where I was coming from.

I am well aware of the Q+A thread, and have read a good 10 pages of it. The purpose of that thread is general knowledge questions that could be answered by a single person. I understand and appreciate the need to keep redundant posts under check. I do not believe this is redundant, and it can not simply be answered by one person. This is a subjective matter. I have taken the responsibility to inform myself of the general knowledge available. I feel asking for application is not out of line in the slightest. It would be silly to put every thread under the Q+A thread. Those are for the questions you constantly see. I have never seen someone ask this question, but I am sure others have this same problem. If it makes you sad that I used a question mark, just read this thread as "List your play styles here!" I want to know how YOU play snake, and framing it with a question mark is not inappropriate. Speaking at each other is not a conversation. A thread is one person ASKING other people to post.

If you want to argue semantics with me, BRING IT! :)
I really do appreciate you trying to help better the community, but putting a muzzle on users to make posts more manageable is not the way to do it.

napZzz

Smash Hero
what he means is you should have asked your question there instead of here, not a single person answers always anyways

bigmac267

Smash Cadet
One thing that may or may not seem obvious is to actually look over the boards for other characters. If you have a general idea of the tactics that will be used against you, you will have a better chance to respond to them well. Overall, you want to make sure that Snake remains a threat both near and far away from the opponent. If they're far, lob some grenades, plant some mines, and generally force them to come to you. Once they're near, use Snake's tilts (except utilt) and jabs to rack up damage. Utilt will finish them from here fairly easily. Snake is very good at controlling the stage, so use it to create situations that favor the Snake player. For example, Marth is only able to fight from close combat. Fighting from range will safely allow you to rack up some damage until he has to move in. Once in close combat, just avoid getting juggled. Aerial combat will cost you the match here. Try to remain grounded, and if you start to have problems with this, use a grenade or tilt to put some distance between you and allow yourself some time to think.

youngtweety

Smash Cadet
*sigh*
I will post it there to make you guys happy, but I disagree. What is an example of an appropriate thread, by your definition?
Lets go through several popular posts that no one complained about:
"What are some good snake players?" Question that could be answered on Q+A
"Anyone else getting bored with snake?" It is a question!
My point is, there is a line. I don't seem to understand where you guys think the line is. I define the line as "Q+A should contain common knowledge such as what certain moves do, and how to perform them."

Edit:
One thing that m....
Thank you, bigmac. How hard was that, guys. You build a better community by being helpful, not by being condescending and going phyco over thread placement.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I dont think I went psycho, and the problem is we get lots of random crap threads all the time and we try to cut down on it. we keep whats important, not a new thread for one question

youngtweety

Smash Cadet
I dont think I went psycho, and the problem is we get lots of random crap threads all the time and we try to cut down on it. we keep whats important, not a new thread for one question
I completely understand your point of view, and I don't think you went psycho. I know it must be annoying to have people constantly asking the same thing over and over. Most of you are very tolerant and nice. I was in a bad mood to start out, and I might have taken it out on the above posts which made me annoyed. I felt helpless that I couldn't find the answers myself, and annoyed that pimp took the time out of his schedule to censure me, but not help. This was enlarged by the fact that I felt my thread was not the run of the mill newbie spam thread. I apologize if I offended you. You sided with someone that annoyed me while I was having a bad day :) If you want to give me any tips, they would still be greatly appreciated.

NNID
Budget_Player
Cut the guy a break, sheesh...

Anyways, you have to read the opponent. In most cases, it's enough to size up your opponent. Most of the time, you want to just camp with those aforementioned well-cooked grenades and force them to approach (mostly because nades is one of the best projectiles ever). In some cases, though, this just won't work. Falco's Lazer detonates them, Zelda's Din's Fire move beats out ever camping possibility you have... You have to switch over to agression. And I'm not sure of the right way to do this, but I've had luck with Dash and DACUS followed up by a quick few tilts. Once the opponent is off the edge, Snake has a good time with Mortars, Nades, C4, and Nikita.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
If they're far away, take the time to set up an explosive. A C4, for instance-you never know when it'll come in handy larter. From there, throw Grenades at them.

Grenade Camping 101:
-Throw a Grenade
-Take out another Grenade, but don't Shield Drop it. Keep it cooking.
-If they pick up the Grenade you just threw, Shield Drop the one you're holding for a Grenade Strip.
-If they approach, throw the Grenade you're holding.

[NOTE: When the first grenade explodes, the second one is probably going to explode soon after. This is a good time to throw it.]

Do what you want from here-you have options if they chose to approach. If they didn't approach, repeat the process until they do.

Other basic Grenade tactics include Shield Dropping a Grenade, and then rolling away from it. From there, you have a bit of a wall between you and your opponent. You can use this wall to provide cover while you use a Nikita or plant a C4.

Hope this helps.

Panix

Smash Ace
their is several different ways to take care of many characters. the basic is pretty simple.

camp with nades and space with f-tilt, seriously.

F-tilt is pretty broken, your trying to stay on the ground for most of the match, and if your playing snake, then your playing defense.

if they come from the air, your u-tilt is your ultimate defense, if they approach HIGH from the air, hit a mortar and make them not want to approach from that height. mortar sliding also a way to catch someone who is falling from the air to the stage and not expecting it, it results in many KO's at low percents.

If they come from the front, F-tilt, jab to f-tilt, and camp hard.
camp when you have about two full snakes body lengths that are prone ( for spacing purposes). camping is good, even if you don't land the explosion, the grenade does about 3-4% dmg and thats just contact...throwing your grenade up and then shield dropping another while picking that one up is a good set-up because by the time they grenade drops from the air it will be on ground level and ready to explode. you want to hit the explosion, it dose an amazing percent of dmg for a projectile (my opinion the most offensive and best one out atm). Also, use your c4 and your landmines to control the stage, mines+c4 can cut off sections of the stage that limits your opponents area to play on. (c4 mainly) landmines do some work, but are usually easily canceled out by many projectials (lucario's AS, olimars Pik, snakes nades themself, etc)

From off the ledge, thats were your mortar+nair come into effect, your mortar (IMO) is mostly a disstraction from your nair, I mortar then space my nair because im hopeing that the oppenent is more worried about not hitting that mortar and actually get screwed by the nair.

from under the ledge, c4 works ggrrreaatt, amazing at spiking the oppenet of the stages corners and getting a easy kill. you can also just nikita circle the edge and land a hit.

hope i helped. i typed this during my english class ;)

youngtweety

Smash Cadet
Thanks to everyone for the very helpful responses! I hope I didn't harm your English grade too much ;) This is why I posted it here; I wanted a thread full of responses instead of one person answering to shut me up. I got a good 4/5 answers now, and perhaps more in the future. The Q+A is, in my opinion, for OBJECTIVE questions, and SUBJECTIVE questions deserve a new thread.

I still am not "mad" at any of of the posters complaining at me, because I completely get and agree with your objections. It just isn't black and white. Keep the tips coming! They have been very helpful.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
This was enlarged by the fact that I felt my thread was not the run of the mill newbie spam thread.
Wrong. It is one of those. The question you asked cannot be answered, as learning Snake can only come through watching and playing with better Snakes, then practicing a lot. Just play him a lot, you'll figure it out eventually.

youngtweety

Smash Cadet
Wrong. It is one of those. The question you asked cannot be answered, as learning Snake can only come through watching and playing with better Snakes, then practicing a lot. Just play him a lot, you'll figure it out eventually.
Wrong. I FELT my thread was not the run of the mill newbie thread. It was my OPINION that it was not. I DID feel that it was not. Also, you are wrong that it cannot be answered. Many of these answers did help me. Also, I was making amends. Why do you have to argue with me when I am saying sorry? Lets not argue like an old couple.

Edit: Haha. I was rude to a "Smash Director". Might not be an enemy I want =p Sowwe.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
When you c4, keep your eye on the timer. The C4 will explode in 30 seconds, so watch out. Dropping a C4 as you fall can help get opponents away from you. B-reversal grenades helps get distance and be unpredictable. Bair can get a foe off you too.When you walk at a foe, they know a tilt is coming, so try to be unpredictable. if you use ftilt a lot itll get stale, but you can still kill with utilt so try not to waste that. Again dont be predictabel, but using it whena foe is ona platform above you can work.finally, if your good with them, lots of nades, a c4 on the gorund, and a mine somewhere can cause a lot of chaos and confusion and can catch your foe off guard. Keeping up many explosives everywhere while hitting your foe and not blowing yourself up is a very good strategy. I secondary Snake and thats what I try to do, even though it is pretty difficult.

Panix

Smash Ace
When you c4, keep your eye on the timer. The C4 will explode in 30 seconds, so watch out. Dropping a C4 as you fall can help get opponents away from you. B-reversal grenades helps get distance and be unpredictable. Bair can get a foe off you too.When you walk at a foe, they know a tilt is coming, so try to be unpredictable. if you use ftilt a lot itll get stale, but you can still kill with utilt so try not to waste that. Again dont be predictabel, but using it whena foe is ona platform above you can work.finally, if your good with them, lots of nades, a c4 on the gorund, and a mine somewhere can cause a lot of chaos and confusion and can catch your foe off guard. Keeping up many explosives everywhere while hitting your foe and not blowing yourself up is a very good strategy. I secondary Snake and thats what I try to do, even though it is pretty difficult.
27 seconds ;)

napZzz

Smash Hero
well to answer your question if they run away throw crap at them.

If they get up close make predictions and do the appropriate move. If they like to get up close and shield grab. IF not, out range with tilts and jab.

Top Bottom