• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I don't care how strong you are. It's not strong enough!" Roy Match Up Thread

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
How do you beat Mewtwo? Because right now I'm leaning towards "Choose someone else."

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
When in doubt, nair. :troll:
The Gods do not fear your name, Glass. But I'll agree. An approaching tipped nair will outspace the psyshock nair from mewtwo. But timing is crucial. A tipped fair is also good too.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
So how you do approach the Samus MU with Roy cause I know it's changed a little bit in Project M but I don't know how much also I usually went Marth or Falco in the Samus MU so I never played the MU before?

BertEast

Smash Apprentice
Anyone care to help with the bowser matchup? Once I'm offstage I'm dead, and I'm having a hard time getting passed that armor

Last edited:

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Anyone care to help with the bowser matchup? Once I'm offstage I'm dead, and I'm having a hard time getting passed that armor
Well, You need to face the fact that Roy is terrible offstage. The only reason to ever go off stage on purpose is if you are edgeguarding and you KNOW that you can kill the guy you are edgeguarding. As for recovering, well, there is only one you thing you can do, and that is side-B stall in the air and up-b. Just remember that, if you are close enough to the stage, try to angle the up-b so you hit the edgeguarder. Make him regret ever trying to edgeguard you.

DavidAgile

Smash Rookie
NNID
bboyagile
Hello everyone. I've been lurking around Smashboards for a while for mainly matchup help, and picked up Roy a few months ago.

It seems as if Roy has a lot of trouble with floaties, am I right in assuming so, or am I simply not using Roy right? Zelda especially!

I've played against my friends Zelda just once. He picked her up one time for fun and I actually ended up ragequitting because it was so frustrating. I don't think Roy really appreciates the lightning kicks. And right now even CPU Zelda feels like the bane of Roy's existence, and it seems the only way to really win against Zelda is guerilla warfare. I feel like I can only get 3 hits for a combo max before I have to wavedash away or get hit in the face with some Tinkerbell Dust nair. I feel like I'm playing vBrawl again because it's almost like there's no hitstun on her when I hit her. Is this matchup a patience game?

Thank you guys.

BertEast

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone. I've been lurking around Smashboards for a while for mainly matchup help, and picked up Roy a few months ago.

It seems as if Roy has a lot of trouble with floaties, am I right in assuming so, or am I simply not using Roy right? Zelda especially!

I've played against my friends Zelda just once. He picked her up one time for fun and I actually ended up ragequitting because it was so frustrating. I don't think Roy really appreciates the lightning kicks. And right now even CPU Zelda feels like the bane of Roy's existence, and it seems the only way to really win against Zelda is guerilla warfare. I feel like I can only get 3 hits for a combo max before I have to wavedash away or get hit in the face with some Tinkerbell Dust nair. I feel like I'm playing vBrawl again because it's almost like there's no hitstun on her when I hit her. Is this matchup a patience game?

Thank you guys.
Very much so. Roy has a pretty hard time with her. It is a game of baiting and punishing, and knowing when to leave your combos. Dash dance, jab or fair her dins, ect. I don't have much experience with Roy vs Zelda, so maybe someone else can provide some insight.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord

Thank you guys.
Well, I play with a pretty good Zelda pretty regularly, so believe me when I say that it isn't as hard as you're making it. Zelda is actually pretty terrible against Roy.

When you approach, dash at her a bit but back off right as it seems that you're about to come in range of her moves. You NEED to bait that nayru's (Zelda's neutral b). Also, keep in mind that, even though Zelda's lightning kick may seem intimidating, you have way more range than it does in the air. And Zelda is weak if you're coming from a up and to the side direction (not above her, but not exactly to the side of her).

GRAB HER!!! I always seem to forget that I can grab people with Roy. All of his attacks are so flashy and cool that it makes grabbing not that cool. Start off by always throwing in front of you or above you (Zelda is really weak if you can keep her in the air), and once your opponent gets used to being thrown forward, start using the down throw. D-throw will put them directly behind you because they are used to DI-ing in front of you. This will set up for one of those sweet, sweet f-smashes.

If you are fighting a Zelda that likes to teleport a lot, try to find a pattern to it. Every Zelda has one. Punish the pattern HARD. Make them never want to use their teleport again.

Oh, almost forgot, your d-tilt is probably one of your best combo starters. And it is the bane of Sheik. So if the Zelda decides that she isn't doing so good and changes to Sheik, d-tilt, d-tilt, d-tilt.

Pretty much, just don't get caught in dins fire traps and set yourself up for lightning kicks. They are nasty and have loads of knockback.

Oh, another thing about dins, Zeldas like to hide behind their dins. Don't make the mistake of trying to approach without thinking about what the Zelda will do when you try to swat away the dins fire.

Hope this was helpful. If anyone thinks there is something wrong with some of the things I said, go ahead and point it out.

Last edited:

BertEast

Smash Apprentice
Well, I play with a pretty good Zelda pretty regularly, so believe me when I say that it isn't as hard as you're making it. Zelda is actually pretty terrible against Roy.

When you approach, dash at her a bit but back off right as it seems that you're about to come in range of her moves. You NEED to bait that nayru's (Zelda's neutral b). Also, keep in mind that, even though Zelda's lightning kick may seem intimidating, you have way more range that it does in the air. And Zelda is weak if you're coming from a up and to the side direction (not above her, but not exactly to the side of her).

GRAB HER!!! I always seem to forget that I can grab people with Roy. All of his attacks are so flashy and cool that it makes grabbing not that cool. Start off by always throwing in front of you or above you (Zelda is really weak if you can keep her in the air), and once your opponent gets used to being thrown forward, start using the down throw. D-throw will put them directly behind you because they are used to DI-ing in front of you. This will set up for one of those sweet, sweet f-smashes.

If you are fighting a Zelda that likes to teleport a lot, try to find a pattern to it. Every Zelda has one. Punish the pattern HARD. Make them never want to use their teleport again.

Oh, almost forgot, your d-tilt is probably one of your best combo starters. And it is the bane of Sheik. So if the Zelda decides that she isn't doing so good and changes to Sheik, d-tilt, d-tilt, d-tilt.

Pretty much, just don't get caught in dins fire traps and set yourself up for lightning kicks. They are nasty and have loads of knockback.

Oh, another thing about dins, Zeldas like to hide behind their dins. Don't make the mistake of trying to approach without thinking about what the Zelda will do when you try to swat away the dins fire.

Hope this was helpful. If anyone thinks there is something wrong with some of the things I said, go ahead and point it out.
A little thing with Nayru's to add on to what you said, Zelda won't use nayru's unless she feels threatened, being that neutral b is her 'get off of me' attack. Make zelda feel like she needs to use it.

Missile

Smash Apprentice
I have quite a bit of experience with Samus. I've played Samus since Melee, so I also know her from her point of view.

Samus has a really hard time with Roy ONLY when he's below her. She can't do anything about his Uair. Dair is too slow, Nair doesn't trade, Uair obviously does nothing. Bair can't hit, bombs extend the hitbox on the Uair, which goes through them when spaced correctly. and air dodging from up high in the air is a bad idea that'll get her fsmashed, dsmashed, bair'd , neutral-b'd .... you name it.

That said, that's about the only weakness she has against him. A good Samus will not rush Roy, will keep him away with Zair and Missiles, and will counter his aerial approaches with UpB out of shield.
Edge guarding Roy is pretty easy, since his recovery can't really be mixed up, and Nair eats through Roy's UpB.

BertEast

Smash Apprentice
Anyone have any tips on Falcon? I seem to do well in the matchup but I want to know more. So far I've realized dair leads to everything.

LastArc

Smash Rookie
Anyone have any tips against Link? I have no clue on how to fight in this match up.

Last edited:

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Anyone have any tips against link? I have no clue on how to fight in this match up.
I've fought a lot against the best Link player here in New England (who managed to take a game off m2k's Fox) and this match up is really annoying. But it is doable.

You can actually wavedash under Link's boomerang as long as he doesn't throw it down. Try not to be too obvious with it, but this is amazing if your spacing is on point, because you can punish right after he throws it. Also wavedashing is an awesome way to pick up bombs. Wavedashing in place can come in really handy here.

Roy has a hitbox pretty much on his body on the first frame of his jab. It's neat for canceling out boomerang sometimes.

CC is your best friend against Link's jabs, and you'll always be able to interrupt him after the second jab (maybe the first too). But you gotta look out for the grab too.

I've found that the really annoying part of this match up is not actually the projectiles, but how easily Link can combo Roy, especially off grab. Once you get into close range, worry more about getting grabbed than getting hit. You are faster at close range, but if you mis space an attack and miss, Link will grab you and punish you really hard.

DI upwards on his forward aerial and f smash.

All I've got for now.

SwonK

Smash Rookie
Anyone have any tips against Link? I have no clue on how to fight in this match up.
Link is a very.... interesting.... matchup.
At first it is very frustrating with all the projectiles and grabs. I play against Links regularly and this is what I've gathered so far.

Due to the nature of the character, Link is geared for defensive play, especially against someone like Roy with no projectile matchup. I have found that it is important to do 1 of 2 things depending on your playstyle/skill level and that of your opponent. You will either wait for him to use his projectiles, study his patterns and find the flaw in h1r3is setups or you can bring the fight right to him, giving him no chance to setup camp. Link is actually great combo food for roy due to his heavy weight and relatively fast fall speed, Uair juggles are great to rack up damage, and a good setup for kills is sourspot Dair into Fsmash.

I find myself continually trying to bait out the boomerang with continual dash dancing and constant movement. If you find yourself in the air against Link, it is probably safer to reset the neutral game rather than to engage him because his Uair juggles are incredible, and if those fail you are in an easy position to get grabbed.

I am always trying to get behind Link to avoid being grabbed as his downthrow gives him a 95% chance to start a combo or kill you. Wavedash OOS is essential to combat the projectiles and to capitalize on his openings. Most of my combos against Link start with grabs. Grab > Fthrow > WD Fsmash, Grab >Dthrow> Nair. Grab > B Throw > Bair. At lower percents if you can get a Dtilt on him, Dtilt>Fair chains are incredible, once you get him towards the ledge he will have to either go offstage, which is unlikely because his offstage game isn't great, or techroll towards the middle of the stage which you can easily read for an easy Fsmash. Nair is a great followup for a tech/tech roll since it covers so much spface and spins twice.

The way I personally play the matchup is relentless offense. Give him no chance to set up projeciles, be in this face so that if he tries to throw out a boomerang, he gets a ftilt or dtilt to the face. If you can force him into using his aeriel attacks or grounded attacks, your moves come out much faster and now half of links kit is essentially useless.

When recovering against link, be very afraid of his Up B on the ledge. Bait it out, and it has a rather long endlag which will either open up an oppurtunity for you to convert the situation into your favor, or at the very least restore the neutral game.

NEVER. EVER. EVER. EVER GO FOR A FAIR OR NAIR WHILE HE IS IN SHIELD, YOU WILL GET GRABBED AND BE VERY VERY SAD. VERY SAD.

Tips for edge guarding- His recovery is pretty limited, he will either have to recover high with Up B, at which point you can run in there with t3h ph1r3 on blazer and it should be a pretty easy kill. If he recovers low with tether, and youre feeling ballsy, smack him off of there before he tethers to the edge with a dair or Up B.

I will add things as I remember or discover them.

SwonK

Smash Rookie
As far as Zelda goes, you are going to have to approach this matchup considerably differently than any other cast member, simply due to her absolute jankiness. I've found that Zelda is so super floats that traditional setups are severely diminished in their effectiveness. Din's fire can prove to become a problem if you give her the space to set up. They aren't destroyed by shield, and will only be destroyed if they hit you or you swing your sword at it. I would personally stay in close proximity to her, dash dancing around and baiting her neutral B, because while it is active its rather difficult to get around, but once it is ending you have a great opportunity to get some damage in. This is just my personal playstyle, but with Zelda I choose to play much more patiently, reacting to her rather than forcing her to react to me. I've found Nair to be a much more viable option than Fair for combos because of the range it covers, and if tippered can lead into a lot of great setups such a D tilt, Dair, WD Fsmash etc.

Due to the nature of her attacks having a great amount of knockback/hitstun, your spacing is going to be the key in this matchup. In my experience, if I'm playing like I normally do, right up in her face, I continually get a fairy dust in my eyes and then die. I would suggest, oddly enough, using the very edge of your sword for the majority of the match, keeping those nasty lightning kicks away from you, while racking up damage little by little until you have her at the right percent for that one great killing move. Fthrow offstage into blazer, Bthrow, into Bair or d throw into nair and reading her movement for a blazer or Bair.

Obviously my Zelda matchup knowledge is a little lacking, so this might be inaccurate but this is just from my personal experience

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
So the MU's I've had chance to deal with are

Marth
Samus
Ganon
Sheik
Yoshi

Marth I feel is still very much like Melee in the sense that he's basically you but better, he has more range, kill power, easy combos and slicker movement, I'm not a pro Roy by any means and I feel the MU is actually doable but its definitely not in your favor, ftilt is really cool if you're good with angling and and nair is another important tool.

Samus does not lose to Roy imo, its a very difficult matchup. She cant really be edgeguarded and she can just camp you to death while youre forced into a hit n run poking game because shes so hard to combo. You HAVE to kill her before she goes around 80~100% or you can honestly forget about ever landing a solid kill blow on her without a good read.

Ganon is annoying because he can just throw out that silly fair that covers half the stage, ftilt is a solid move here along with dtilt, both characters have an easy time edgegaurding one another and if you're ahead you can try to bait him to a ledge and bthrow him and that's usually a stock. Always be alert for the down and side b and learn to read and counter because that **** is equal parts hilarious and effective.

I honestly have no solid plan for sheik as of yet and would love some tips.

Yoshi combos you to hell and back and is actually capable of outranging some moves like fsmash and dtilt I think (For whatever idiotic reason) and he's surprisingly tricky to edgegaurd cos of that egg roll thing. Try to get him above you and bait out his down b for a solid counter hit, he's scary up close and his dsmash and dtilt are weapons of mass destruction cos of how gimpable you are.

TriforceX5

Smash Rookie
So I main both Charizard and Roy, with Charizard being my "main" main, but I was wondering what matchups would I absolutly want to go Roy over Charizard? I think Roy handles the Falco and Samus match ups better than Zard does but I wanted some other opinions on this. Assume I have equal skill in both characters (My Zard is better but my Roy is getting there)

Last edited:

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
So I main both Charizard and Roy, with Charizard being my "main" main, but I was wondering what matchups would I absolutly want to go Roy over Charizard? I think Roy handles the Falco and Samus match ups better than Zard does but I wanted some other opinions on this. Assume I have equal skill in both characters (My Zard is better but my Roy is getting there)
I'm extremely curious as to how Roy handles Samus better then any other character in the game, I honestly think she's a bad matchup for both zard and Roy.
Roy destroys fastfallers, that's his main use right now.

TriforceX5

Smash Rookie
I'm extremely curious as to how Roy handles Samus better then any other character in the game, I honestly think she's a bad matchup for both zard and Roy.
Roy destroys fastfallers, that's his main use right now.
It's mostly due to Zard's weakness to projectiles, due to his poor air speed and huge hitbox. Roy can navigate around the missile pressure a bit easier and get in more, but honestly you're right in the fact that both match ups are bad for me, as both can't really combo her at all. In my experience I do better as Roy in the match up than I do Zard though so I guess I just have to play around with it more.

Last edited:

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
I had a tough time with this matchup initially, but trust me when I say that you don't have to switch characters. I've completely adapted.

Firstly, never be far away from them. Try to say at a midrange distance.

Why: So you can approach with a jump after they've thrown out a boomerang. Stay mid-distance allows you to go in for a hit or grab before the rang comes back. If you up-throw fast enough, the boomerang won't hit you either.

Now, once they've thrown the boomerang and you're approaching them from the air, they will do either two things: Shield and wait to grab OoS, or shoot an arrow. I don't know if it's just the people I've been playing with, but I noticed that boomerangs are usually followed by an instinctive arrow. I you see them sheilding, you can either tomahawk (empty jump into grab), or do an L-canceled Uair. The reason why I said Uair is because Links ALWAYS go for the OoS grabs, and l-canceled, the Uair has one of the fastest recoveries frames in the game. This will allow you to instantly spot-dodge the inevitable tether grab, and you can punish the living **** out of them with a FSmash to the face. This technique right here can single-handedly win you the match-up.

If they're shooting an arrow, of course approach with a Fair that will lead into more Fairs and a lot of the time, a Flare Blade.

Now, if they're the adaptive type, this is ok too. Cause what they'll start doing is FSmashing or UpSmashing to counter your ariel approach. If they start doing this, then you know what to do: Counter.

Other than that, the match-up is simple: Stay on top of them. Don't give them the space and time to set up their projectile camping. A hard Roy on-top of a Link will crack the Link player easily. But, if you're not so confident in your pressure game, then do what I recommended before and just wait to punish their boomerang tosses (at mid-range)

I hope this helps.

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
Ways I deal with Zelda is to stay right outside of her range and make grounded approaches based on baiting laggy moves all while getting a feel upon how she reacts. Ideally you're fishing for smashes or Din's Fire at mid range in which can be punished with a full on approach with whatever if she throws one a little far and a solid F-tilt if she tries to throw one close trick you. Properly spaced, the f-tilt should destroy the projectile and hit her all the same. I'm not entirely sure but I think keeping a low profile also helps deal with lightning kicks assuming she isn't fastfalling to do so to hit low. CC d-smash and also u-tilt may deal with canceling farore's wind in front of your face to trick you as well.

Try not to jump in this matchup unless you just got a solid dtilt for a follow up. Spaced flare blade usually is a really safe option.

Pressure Zelda as much as you can to get her off stage to force her to recover. Flare blade or Fsmash should trade with the hitbox on FW if you get hit with it. Otherwise there's lag on her recovery that you can punish. Or if you think she's going straight for the ledge, grab it.

I personally feel this isn't tough for Roy you just have to play a bit differently. "Smart aggression".

Last edited:

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
I had a tough time with this matchup initially, but trust me when I say that you don't have to switch characters. I've completely adapted.

Firstly, never be far away from them. Try to say at a midrange distance.

Why: So you can approach with a jump after they've thrown out a boomerang. Stay mid-distance allows you to go in for a hit or grab before the rang comes back. If you up-throw fast enough, the boomerang won't hit you either.

Now, once they've thrown the boomerang and you're approaching them from the air, they will do either two things: Shield and wait to grab OoS, or shoot an arrow. I don't know if it's just the people I've been playing with, but I noticed that boomerangs are usually followed by an instinctive arrow. I you see them sheilding, you can either tomahawk (empty jump into grab), or do an L-canceled Uair. The reason why I said Uair is because Links ALWAYS go for the OoS grabs, and l-canceled, the Uair has one of the fastest recoveries frames in the game. This will allow you to instantly spot-dodge the inevitable tether grab, and you can punish the living **** out of them with a FSmash to the face. This technique right here can single-handedly win you the match-up.

If they're shooting an arrow, of course approach with a Fair that will lead into more Fairs and a lot of the time, a Flare Blade.

Now, if they're the adaptive type, this is ok too. Cause what they'll start doing is FSmashing or UpSmashing to counter your ariel approach. If they start doing this, then you know what to do: Counter.

Other than that, the match-up is simple: Stay on top of them. Don't give them the space and time to set up their projectile camping. A hard Roy on-top of a Link will crack the Link player easily. But, if you're not so confident in your pressure game, then do what I recommended before and just wait to punish their boomerang tosses (at mid-range)

I hope this helps.
When at mid range, you can duck under ALL of his projectiles as long as they are not angled downward (boomerang).

BathSalts

Smash Rookie
For the link matchup, can't you just grab after doing a falling upair? I read in the frame data thread that uair is +0 on block, and surely roy's grab comes out faster than link's.

GoomLord

Smash Rookie
I have some experience with both the G&W and Snake MU's, and while I may not be that great, I'll share what I know.

Snake- Try not to get grabbed. If you get grabbed, the Snake is basically guaranteed a solid 40% with up-throw chain grabs, leading into a stick. All around this can be a pretty difficult for Roy, with snake's grenades acting as decent spacing tools, and his tranq letting him set up even more combos for when you slip up, but all is not lost. Roy can also combo Snake pretty well, and this is where U-tilt and U-air are your friends. Snake can be juggled to hell and back using the U-air, which can eventually end with flare blade or S-Smash for a kill. Try to approach with either down tilt or SHFFL N-air's and F-air's. The jump lets you punish him if he misses a tranq, or hits you with it while your in the air, letting you get at least a free hit off him. But the most important thing of this match-up though is DON'T GET GRABBED. GRAB=TRAGEDY. All around this is a difficult match-up, but not impossible.

G&W- Now this I'm a bit shaky on, cause yet to have win against the guy I play with, but according to him G&W is weak to swords. Spacing is pretty crucial in this match-up, due to G&W's insane lasting power. SHHFL N-air's are never a bad way to go, and help to distance one from the oh-so-dangerous down-tilt and Up-B. If you get grabbed, pray that the other player makes a mistake, or else you are going to get hit hard, and always be prepared to tech in case he does a down throw. But Spacing remains a friend. Pressure is crucial, and one must take care not get stuck in G&W's breakfast meat madness, or else you are probably going to get comboed, and no one wants that. SDI is important for getting out of the Bacon if you do get stuck in it. Make sure to always keep an eye out for G&W's up-smash, cause if you get hit, you're gonna hurt, but if he misses, it's time for a punish. Really this match up is careful spacing and pressure, and if you keep it up, the game should go Roy's way.

I just tried to share what came to mind for the moment, but I'll try to answer questions, if anyone has any.

A Revelation

Smash Cadet
Are you sure? I just tried it and was getting hit lol.
Are you sure you're hitting really late with the Uair? Though the frame data maybe negative -0 on the lowest
U-air it might be -1 through -3 if hit earlier since you have a frame or two to land before the L-cancel.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Hey how do you guys feel about the MK matchup with Roy? Seems to just be a kill fest, with MK gimping Roy and Roy smashing MK.

Also, I believe Link vs Roy is very hard for Roy... mainly because Roy has a tough time getting around good projectile play and Zair, and Link gimps him like crazy.

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
I feel like every character that challenges Roy's range is an extremely uphill battle and Link with his insanely stupid boomerang and surprisingly fast ground attacks is no exception.

I seriously dislike Link, I feel he's a little too good for the relatively low amount of effort required to play him, I've seen people suddenly bodying players that could 4 stock them because they decided to try out Link lmfao.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
I find the MK matchup to be fairly even. Not sure if smashing MK would be the best approach, though. An fsmash is nice, of course, but I generally find myself abusing dtilt -> juggles/KO far more often. It also helps for Roy to actually use his edge game. Meta Knight is definitely edgeguardable. Smart recovery goes a long way, too, since MK is a bit less proficient at edgeguarding below the stage. I like to save my jump and fair him if he goes too low, and if he's nairing from above (which is really his only option because dair suicides) an early jump and well spaced blazer does the trick, or stalling down low more and riding up the wall.

For Link, I'd say the same thing. Smart recovery goes a long way (it's getting onstage without a heavy punish on landing when he edgehogs that's the problem, in my opinion, not getting gimped), since he has problems going low enough. Bombs are useless because you can just catch them and AGT for a boost. Arrows don't go low enough, and neither does boomerang.
Onstage, I feel like it's on Roy to win this MU, but if he can maneuver well (particular with good shielding) Link is really easy to catch, get's combo'd really hard, outdisjointed, lacks fast enough OoS options to deal with some of Roy's better shield pressure moves, etc. He is exceptionally difficult to edgeguard himself, though, so even if you avoid getting gimped it's difficult to win that battle anyways.
I've been working on WD OoS to catch bombs in this matchup while blocking the boomerang and zair, but I'll see how that goes in the end.

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
For MK, I was more just saying "ROY SMASH!". I've found that Roy combos him fairly well with standard Roy stuff involving dtilt, uair, dair etc. Fair also gives good combos now. fthrow + tech chase is also pretty entertaining, because it can give you an fsmash or two. The new neutralB is fantastic for aerial zoning against MK, because it kills ridiculously early and is pretty safe in the air.
Roy gets comboed hard too, but overall, I think Roy wins the on stage game because he really can shut down MK's options. Offstage, though, it's hard to avoid gimps. Going low is good advice, but it's still scary.

For Link, with all of his options, Link just outranges Roy and forces him to approach... then Link has a good CC and other options to get away from pressure... while he does have a bad OOS options, Roy doesn't exactly have the constant shield pressure of a spacie, etc... I personally don't think Link should be shielding much in the match.
Overall, it's not unwinnable, but Link lives longer, and can rival roy on both damage output and killpower (death combos galore), so I think it's a haaard match for Roy.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
For MK, I was more just saying "ROY SMASH!"
Ah, then I completely agree. My mistake for being a bit ultra-literal. The rest about MK I definitely can agree with.

For Link, with all of his options, Link just outranges Roy and forces him to approach... then Link has a good CC and other options to get away from pressure... while he does have a bad OOS options, Roy doesn't exactly have the constant shield pressure of a spacie, etc... I personally don't think Link should be shielding much in the match.
Overall, it's not unwinnable, but Link lives longer, and can rival roy on both damage output and killpower (death combos galore), so I think it's a haaard match for Roy.
Fair enough. I won't deny that it's a challenging matchup.
For shield pressure, Roy is a ways below spacie level, for sure, but it can still be surprisingly good. Uair can be up to 0 on shield, for example, and dtilt can poke from a distance and act very quickly into a run/jump/attack. Fair isn't too bad of an option either. Overall, Link can deal with it, but if he's under pressure it isn't too hard to keep him there. You bring up a good point that it shouldn't be assumed that Link should be forced to shield much at all, so it certainly doesn't swing the status of the matchup much.

Last edited:

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Link can be really annoying if he gets time to set up his tent, but I feel that if Roy can get on him and STAY on him he can win the matchup. Roy does pressure his shield pretty well IMO...Links fastest/safest OoS option is instant nair, and that only works if you space at near point blank (protip; you shouldnt be spacing at near point blank). Well spaced fairs and dtilts cant be truly punished on Links shield...he still has the option of grabbing or upBing OoS, but grab is beaten by spotdodge/jump/run away, upB can obv be shielded, and you can punish either of them with fsmash/dtilt combos, making them pretty risky callouts from the Link.

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
Link is actually one of my favorite matchups with Roy. Compared to many other characters, I think Roy has a much easier time navigating Link's zoning tools. Pressuring him is key. Up-B OOS and N-Air OOS are definitely the moves to watch for. You can bait both of them after a while too. I also think Link is a good combo weight for Roy.

Top Bottom