• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Hyrule Warriors

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Just to throw it out there, I'm sure all of the sets will be available as paid DLC after the game releases. You get certain sets for free as a pre-order bonus, but it's not like you'll completely miss out on the others. I'll be shocked if that truly is the case.
I believe so as well, honestly.

There have been very few times when Pre-Order/First Print DLC wasn't available at a later date..the biggest case I know of being Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy, which didn't release any of the Pre-Order Costume DLC..not even the European Exclusive Pre-Order/Japanese Magazine DLC Costume (Kingdom Hearts 'Leon' Squall)...though oddly enough, Europe got the North American Exclusive/First Print Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix DLC Costume (Kingdom Hearts Cloud) on the PlayStation Store.

All that said, I think that Nintendo, being the more Customer-Friendly Company that they are, will release the DLC onto the eShop at a later date, especially if they see that there is demand for it.

HappyW@nderer

Smash Cadet
I pretty much figured we'd only get 1 per Retailer because they directly referred to them each as 'Sets' as well as not including the Ganondorf DLC Set.

But yes, you get 1 Set of Costumes for Link & Zelda based upon where you pre-order while anyone who registers the game on Club Nintendo between Sept. 26th and Octorber 23rd get the Ganondorf set (Ocarina of Time & Twilight Princess).
Ok, thanks for the information.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Derrick from GameXplain is streaming Hyrule Warriors right now (Japanese version). He's doing a 6 hour marathon. Long breaks in between levels though, so he can upload footage from the stream as individual videos on YouTube.

http://www.twitch.tv/gamexplain

R0Y

Smash Master
I guess they don't want to release this in the west in August but a date over a month since the game is released for it to reach the west seems a bit steep with no retail Wii U releases this month. Game went gold on the 26th (maybe 27th in Japan.)

Last edited:

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
I honestly can't see why Europe, Australia and America keep getting different release dates. Adding/subtracting some "u"s and changing some "z" to "s" in a few words can't really take that long. No reason why anything other than a few hours of time-zone differences should be keeping the west apart, especially given the earlier time-zones pay the most.

I can understand Japan getting it first (they made it), but even for a game as Japan-centric as Dynasty Warriors 1 month is more than slightly excessive. (Not to mention something as big as Smash Bros. getting a similar delay).

I find it odd that Pokemon X/Y- games where there is significant competitive advantage, and tons of spoilers, to be gained from an early release - were allowed to be released in Aus/NZ up to 2 hours before they were in Japan, but a game with minimal online and most if its content already spoiled is delayed by over a month, then delayed an extra day in Aus/NZ, and another 6 days in North America.

But I suppose August is full of blockbuster games like:
Xtreame Sports (GBC) - NA 3DS VC
Those games form Mega May August - PAL 3DS VC

Where as September/October needs Hyrule Warriors to pad out the trash like:
Bayonetta/Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)
Super Smash Bros (3DS)

R0Y

Smash Master
Part of it is size. Australia has less than 2/3rds of Canada's population alone and Oz is very isolated from the rest of the developed world (except Japan.) You were part of the old PAL region with Europe. You also have an expensive government classification system and packaging requirements. There's only one ratings board for all of NA and it's a cheaper industry-created group that doesn't even play the games they rate! There's a bit of a barrier to entry for a small, isolated market unfortunately, but we're mostly down to seeing the same day as Europe or the next day now.

You're still treated like part of Europe and Nintendo Australia is part of NoE. Because of the time zone differences Smash 3DS coming out on Oct. 4th makes sense. Australia is just that far ahead in time zones compared to the rest of the western world.

Australia usually has to wait for the usual European language translations as a relic of the old PAL region. If Australia used NTSC TV's I bet things would have ended up differently. Distance aside, there would be 60 hz 480i TV's and a shared language.

On the flip side, the Wii U has sold more in Japan than the entire rest of the world outside of the Americas (we can assume almost 100 percent the US and Canada alone with a tiny bit of Mexico and Brazil) combined. North America will surely require a lot more physical copies compared to Europe with its much larger install base. There might be production reasons we don't know about for the extra week delay, or it could just be NoA. It stinks that it's so late when multiple European languages can get it a week earlier though, but you only have to worry about a matter of hours difference.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
For anyone worried the game won't have any challenge, don't worry, seems like some missions get really intense and have you running all over the sprawling maps, and some of the bosses are tricky, as well as the enemy generals being pretty tough at times, even on just Medium difficulty. Derrick had quite a bit of trouble on this mission, early on:

And I've seen a lot of people say that enemies stand around too much in Dynasty Warriors games, but that's on lower difficulties only, they are more aggressive on harder difficulties, especially later on into the games. Also, the Hyrule Warriors trailers are really designed to show off the character's flashy moves because fan-service is a really big part of the game.

But yeah, after Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors is my most hyped game right now. It looks amazing, and will be a great game to play when I want to take a break from Smash Bros (both games will have a lot of longevity even without multiplayer aspects). I enjoyed Dynasty Warriors 5 when I had that and loved Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 a whole lot, I played the crap out of it and still didn't get everything done in terms of all of the post story content. I also played the Dynasty Warriors game on the PS Vita and liked that. So yeah, I'm fine with DW's mechanics.

Hyrule Warriors just makes the DW formula much more in-depth since it fuses elements of Zelda into it. The maps feel really alive and make me want to explore them, you can build up an inventory of items just like in any Zelda game, and the giant bosses play just like actual dungeon bosses in any Zelda game, except it's more fast paced and flashy, and you have a few side enemies to deal with, and it looks like a lot of fun to fight them.

I'll probably be playing Link with a Sword, Impa, Midna, and maybe Zelda too, most of the time. Might throw Lana in there too. And I'll of course try the villains whenever they become available in the game.

Last edited:

pichupal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pichupower
3DS FC
1997-0164-7116
Hyrule Warriors will be getting major updates down the line. From Siliconera.

Perhaps implementing Story Mode for the characters you can't play as in the story? (I think this is Ganon, Zant, Ghirahim, Agitha and Ruto) Maybe more characters? Nice to know Koei Tecmo is going all out with Hyrule Warriors.

There's a 95% chance I'm going to love playing as Fi the week before Smash.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I expected as much, Dynasty Warriors games generally get some hefty DLC, especially when it's a crossover like Gundam or something, so I expect Hyrule Warriors would get a similar treatment.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
Cool. I always loved the idea of a game where we saw Hyrule's army fighting against Ganondorf's (or whoever the malevolent force is) army of monsters, with us (Link) fought alongside them. I'm not familiar with Dynasty Warriors at all, does it have much substance, or is it just hack and slash?
Dynasty warriors is about as complicated as chewing gum and walking at the same time.

R0Y

Smash Master
Hyrule Warriors will be getting major updates down the line. From Siliconera.

Perhaps implementing Story Mode for the characters you can't play as in the story? (I think this is Ganon, Zant, Ghirahim, Agitha and Ruto) Maybe more characters? Nice to know Koei Tecmo is going all out with Hyrule Warriors.

There's a 95% chance I'm going to love playing as Fi the week before Smash.
Yeah I expected this, seems like the game got patched on the first day in Japan. Whatever it is it'll probably be mostly paid DLC. Expect KT to treat this as another one of there titles, because it is. It's even published by them in Japan, not Nintendo. Nintendo isn't even on the front of their box! Sort of reminds me of the Zelda CD-i games there (but obviously way better.)

Here's the west's with Nintendo publishing their own IP:

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Dynasty warriors is about as complicated as chewing gum and walking at the same time.
Well if you only look at the combat, yes, it's pretty simple, but there are a lot of tactics in the better games (Hyrule Warriors being the best one from what I've seen of it so far). If you don't pay attention to what's happening on the battlefield and just focus on killing enemies, later missions will screw you over real hard.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
I don't know if its been said before but when I went on the eShop and looked and it showed an online symbol so does it have Online mission play?

R0Y

Smash Master
I don't know if its been said before but when I went on the eShop and looked and it showed an online symbol so does it have Online mission play?
Yes, in Adventure Mode, which is the one with the 8-Bit Zelda map. No online co-op though.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Yes, in Adventure Mode, which is the one with the 8-Bit Zelda map. No online co-op though.
I'm a bit confused how is the Online integrated into the Adventure mode could you explain further please?

R0Y

Smash Master
I'm a bit confused how is the Online integrated into the Adventure mode could you explain further please?
After the somewhat disappointing news of a lack of online co-op in Hyrule Warriors, we do now at least have some interesting details on how the online functionality works in Adventure Mode.

The latest issue of Game Informer includes an interview with Producer Yosuke Hayashi. “The Adventure Mode features a ‘Network Link’ feature.” he explains. “This allows you to add a ‘Link’ to your maps whose level is based on other users’ play data. If you come to this Link’s aid and fight alongside him, you’ll get access to special bonuses.”

It sounds like you will receive an AI-controlled Link based on someone else’s data, as well as some potential rewards — similar to how SpotPass is used in a number of 3DS games. While you may not be able to play with a real person online, at least you can still exchange data in some form. The promise of “special bonuses” sounds like it may prevent the idea from being a pointless gimmick, too.
http://www.zeldauniverse.net/2014/0...ne-function-allows-access-to-special-bonuses/

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's some feature called "Network Link". Unless I interpreted the article I read earlier incorrectly, the feature allows you to place a Link in the map and when other players pass that space on the map while connected online, they can encounter this Link that you placed. If they assist your Link in a battle, they will earn prizes. And as such, you can also run into the Links of other players.

These Links are A.I. controlled obviously. I assume it works in a somewhat similar fashion to the Dark Link StreetPass system in A Link Between Worlds, where the Link you can send online is customised by you, but A.I controlled when other people are fighting by his side.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Oh Thanks It sounds like a pretty boring Online mode which is sad because I wanted it be hectic Online Mission battles!

R0Y

Smash Master

Some tracks from the game^

Oh Thanks It sounds like a pretty boring Online mode which is sad because I wanted it be hectic Online Mission battles!
Yeah, I'm not happy about the lack of online co-op either...other modern Warriors games have it.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
This just might be a crime to say, but I think I'm more HYPED for Hyrule Warriors than Smash 4. Yes, I just said that/ Hyrule Warriors is a Zelda spin off game that we've needed for a LONG time, and now when we get it there's no doubt it's gonna deliver and have some left over

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm still more hyped for Smash, but not including Smash, Hyrule Warriors is my most anticipated game of this year.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
This just might be a crime to say, but I think I'm more HYPED for Hyrule Warriors than Smash 4. Yes, I just said that/ Hyrule Warriors is a Zelda spin off game that we've needed for a LONG time, and now when we get it there's no doubt it's gonna deliver and have some left over
I'm pretty hyped at equal amounts myself, though I think I'll get more mileage out of Super Smash Bros, both versions, to be honest.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Besides it not being out in NA yet, can anyoen name me some of the bad flaws of Hyrule warriors?
Only four characters have multiple weapons, while the rest uses one.

I don't know if it can be considered a flaw, but it is rather unfortunate.

finalark

SNORLAX
Besides it not being out in NA yet, can anyoen name me some of the bad flaws of Hyrule warriors?
It's a Dynasty Warriors game, meaning that it's not for everyone.

Even though its out in Japan I've been avoiding it. I want most of the game to be a surprise when a buddy and I play through it.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
It sucks that there's no Trident weapon for Ganondorf... but they are doing DLC so maybe we'll get it eventually.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It has no real inherent flaws IMO...besides one or two things.

It has a few small things - bosses require you to wait for an opening to get a lot of damage in on them, and sometimes, that opening takes it's sweet time (it's random whether or not they do the attack quickly). And some will probably find it overly repetitive if they are really not fans of the Warriors games, but I think Hyrule Warriors does a great job of varying things up, keeping you on your toes, and incorporating Zelda-esque mechanics, more than other Warriors games do. Adventure Mode also seems really cool.

I don't know how effective the weapon system is yet, nor do I know if the story overall is any good, since I can't read Japanese.

One thing that might bug me though, is the lack of voice acting - yeah, I get it, it's tradition. But since this is a spin off Zelda title, and since the Warriors games have a practical in-game use for voice acting, I think they should have done voice acting with this game. Normally, in a Warriors game, the ally and enemy captains will banter about what's going on in the battlefield, feeding you useful information and letting you know what you should be doing (such as protecting a base that's under attack, chasing down someone, helping an ally, etc). Sometimes, they even go through character developments or plot developments mid-battle. While this still happens in Hyrule Warriors, it's only through subtitles, since there isn't any full-on voice acting besides some narrated loading screens. That's going to make it a little more annoying to keep up with what characters are saying during battle, since you have to move your eyes away from the battle for a moment, and you constantly have to read what they are saying. When there's voice acting, you can simply listen to their voice rather than reading the subtitles, but Hyrule Warriors won't have such an option. And believe me, characters talk non-stop, so you are reading and fighting non-stop in Hyrule Warriors.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it's a noticeable flaw and serves as a lesson that traditions should not be kept for the sake of it. I think it'll be the most irksome thing about the game for me (besides the lack of online play, something that had no excuse), especially since there IS voice acting in the game, except it's on the LOADING SCREENS of all the places, where it's not really needed. And besides the gameplay related flaw in this, I think having to constantly glance at subtitles will break the immersion a little.

Last edited:

HappyW@nderer

Smash Cadet
It's a Dynasty Warriors game, meaning that it's not for everyone.

Even though its out in Japan I've been avoiding it. I want most of the game to be a surprise when a buddy and I play through it.
You're not the only one. I've seen the trailers and such, but I've been mostly avoiding the ones that already have story mode uploaded.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
Spoilers absolutely killed Twilight Princess and Brawl's story mode for me when I was younger, and now I'm avoiding every bit of possible spoilers. Trailers are about all I see now, I was nearly afraid to watch the HW direct

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
So, I have only just jumped onto this hype train. Darunia'a inclusion nearly sent me off the tracks! Although it looks repetitive at points, I love how the bosses require the use of items found in each region, just like Zelda. There also seems to be a respectable amount of exploration, which is nice. The Adventure Mode also intrigues me.

I see a lot of back-lash on YouTube that this game will ruin the Zelda series (do these guys even know what a spin-off means???), but I disagree... A Zelda spin-off like this may really liven it up a bit IMO.

This will definitely be my game of choice waiting for Sm4sh, and probably even after when I take breaks from Sm4sh.

Last edited:

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
This is the spin off we've waited for and wanted for years now so I don't think it'll ruin anything. All the extra characters just make it so much better, it's a genius idea to mesh all the Zelda worlds together in one big adventure like an alternate universe. Now people can say they beat the water temple easily, and they'd be right, in a fashion

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
They just have some missed potential with potential characters and weapons.
I wish we could see the Happy Mask Salesman wielding Majora's Mask (not actually putting it on, though), or Tingle wielding his balloons, and maybe Ravio using a bunch of the weapons you can buy in Link Between Worlds.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I'll probably use Darunia, Ganondorf, Ruto and Link the most. I do wish that Groose and Skull Kid got in though.

HappyW@nderer

Smash Cadet
For those of you who don't know, Hyrule Warriors is going to be supported with DLC. So we could see the possibility of new costumes, stages, story modes (for different characters), weapons, and most of all, characters. Just wanted to you guys know.

Top Bottom