• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Hyrule Hangout - Sheik Social

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Hey guys! Quick question.

This is my first Smash game, and I feel that I have most of the mechanics down just fine. I recently assigned Jump to R, and I love the options that it has opened up by freeing my thumb. The issue, though, is that SH fairs may or may not actually work. To adjust for that, I also set X back to jump so that I can flick over to A easily while running. I don't, however, like the idea of having two buttons set to jump in different situations, and I'm sure that a standing SH fair would be a brilliant accident. I'm not sure what to do with that.

tl;dr: What are some tips for consistent SH fairs?

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
I set Z to jump so I can use the c stick to do aerials better, but use Y as jump for out of shield options. If you want a finger button to short hop easy with I find Z much easier while setiing my R to special so I can jump with Y and do rising needle storms swifter

Edit: also its how quick you press the button opposed to how light you press it. At least that's what works for me

Last edited:

MetaBhreat

Smash Cadet
I'm currently using 3DS as a controller, and I find it easy to hit X to jump and just slide my finger to A extremely fast. I think it's more of a question of how familiar and comfortable you are with what you are using, but that's just my experience.

As for the nade talk, I find it either really takes people by surprise or doesn't phase them. Great fun when it lands though.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Sorry everyone my Otaku wannabe NEET blood force me to buy and play Nekopara for a little while but I'm back on the warrior path to enlightenment again aka playing smash.

I'm entering a wifi customs tournament and decided to try some of sheik's custom moves

wat @ penetrating needles ACTUALLY one shotting shields

cool I guess(?)
ssssh, don't talk about it. ^-^ I want to see customs legal... but no it doesn't break a fully charge shield. However doing things like dtilt, bf, possibly vanish afterwards will be enough to break the shield.... Or throwing 1 needle and then a needle storm.

I'm having trouble with fair to bouncing fish. I **** it up more than I care to admit, leaving me wondering if I should just continue to fair or apply pressure by controlling the space on the edge of the stage.
One of the reason why I haven't tested fair into BF is because of this, how exactly do I get constant results? I don't like the idea of trying to knee cap someone over and over again with the oval hitbox of Fair, especially due to how characters like to dance around so much while standing still. From what I've seen from higher level gameplay and some of my own pity play I think it starts work around 40% on most and ends before 70ish
Sup guys, just thought I'd introduce myself:

I'm Smiley an AZ Sheik main. I also use Ness and GW. Gonna try to post here more often, I have a lot to learn about this character and i'm cramming for Apex
Welcome to the glorious Sheik forum, I hope your stay will be eventful : 3

Can we discuss back throw a bit?

Forward throw is what it is, we are all familiar with that.
Down throw can combo into Uair, and sometimes Vanish....
But back throw has an interesting feel to it. To me, it seems that back throw is a better option for a Bouncing Fish followup.

I haven't properly tested it, but playing around with it so far has given me this impression, so I thought I would put it out there.
To my knowledge it's impossible to actually 'combo' dthrow into vanish as they seem to always be able to air dodge before, please prove me wrong so I can spam this great mix up more.

About the bthrow I believe it's just as DI friendly as Fthrow but instead of putting them in front of you it puts them behind thus making it arguably worst. Although now that I think about it I seem to always dashing into full hop anyways so maybe that's a moot point. A interesting side note though is for whatever reason bthrow gets stupid high rage so above 100% it's actually worst then fthrow if you consider nothing else then comboing.

Now what makes Bthrow good is dthrow and fthrow, for both of these the majority of the time the best way to avoid getting hit from Sheik is DI away so typically people just hold away from Sheik and hope for the best but with Bthrow we can counter that. If you bthrow them and they continue to hold 'away' from Sheik suddenly they are now DI into you which is the worst possible DI they could do. Instead of being sent away from you they get thrown upwards with a ton of stun. This allows you to easily follow up with a uair or as you pointed out a bouncing fish.

Last edited:

MetaBhreat

Smash Cadet
Tristan_win said:
To my knowledge it's impossible to actually 'combo' dthrow into vanish as they seem to always be able to air dodge before, please prove me wrong so I can spam this great mix up more.
I was referring to the airdodge bait > Vanish. I wish it was more reliable as well, but it is what it is at this time.

In regards to Bthrow, I'll have remember to use it as a DI mixup. I feel it's very common for Sheik players to instinctively Fthrow, because it's so great. I've really been trying to incorporate Absol 359's advice, "Don't become systematic, become fluent." So perhaps these are the kind of mixups we need.

Thanks for the input, I'll try throwing my sparring partner back (see what I did there?) and see how well it works out.

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone I'm a long time smash veteran usually maining Samus but she is just sucks cheeks in this game. Sheik was my melee secondary and in brawl she was a ton of fun to play. So I decided to main her in this game and I must say it is a blast. I believe she has one of the higest skill caps in this game. She is virtually limitless in options much of the time while extremely limiting everyone elses. What . I wanted to tell you guys is how great and informative your threads are compared to others. Got this game last week and I can already clutch kill combo, mix up, and generally out play good people I come across online. Just wanna let the main contributors know that they are doing a great job and to keep the discoveries and info coming. Long live the mighty Sheikah!

Nomad235

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone; I'm Nomad. My dad is military so have moved a lot, but calling yourself a nomad is way cooler than military brat (the IRL term). I've been playing smash since 64 era, but not at a competitive level. On Anther's, i'm somewhere like a 1300-1400, so not really sure where that puts me here, but I have thoughts/questions, so hopefully I can contribute.

So I think I've played about 1000+ For Glory matches with Sheik, and I've definitely been using the Nade more frequently as time has gone on. It's especially good for dealing with Villagers who are hiding behind their tree. It has such a long animation that if you do it at the smallest distance, you can usually get a dash grab on them while the nade is still going, so that's nice.

But what I like most about it is that it has plenty of power and adds to Sheik's very limited kill-game. It's also a nice mix-up in edgeguarding to go from nade, BF, fair, bair. That's four different options that play slightly differently, and you can definitely use the nade to cut off some of their options so that your other stuff has higher chance of landing. I like conditioning them to the nade, and then throwing out a BF. It's more or less the only way I land BF since pretty much all but the worst recoverers can react with an air dodge (or multiple air dodges ugh).

I don't think the bouncing nade is practical for anything but the Megaman lemons. The other stuff is just so hard to time for a pretty limited reward. I only use it if I'm hungry for a kill (they're like at 160%+), but who knows.

Anyway, my question has to do with Villager edgegame. I feel very comfortable in the neutral game, but do we seriously just not try to edgeguard him? I've played a decent number of Villagers and don't remember struggling too often, but I finally came across one who was beating me solely on the edge game. I could Bair him into the ledge consistently, but he always went upwards at really high percents, so it was more annoying than anything. At lower percents, however, it put me in a bad position because the bair wouldn't provide enough knockback, so then he'd dair me, often killing me. Also, I'm just not used to getting gimped as sheik, and definitely ate a number of bowling balls dropped off the ledge.

I looked at it as a learning opportunity so kept losing to try to figure something out to gimp him, but based on my 10 games with the dude, it *at best* connected a sweet spot bair that couldn't kill until 180%+ but more commonly gave him stage control, time to set up his traps, and often threatened me with a spike. My conclusion is that we actually have to respect Villager's edgegame, but that obviously feels like giving up a lot as a Sheik who more or less needs a gimp or two so that we don't have to rack up a total of 400% damage to win the game.

Sorry i'm so wordy, first post and got excited to talk smash with people.

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
nah, I wouldnt say there's a clear best atm. just curious who everyone, in their opinion, thinks is the best sheik.
false, is very entertaining too watch xD

Nomad235

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure where the right place to put this is, but I tried something new against a standard sonic that really slowed down his approaches. I treated him like a Little Mac and basically camped out on one of the ledges and shot needles at him. Cheap, I know, but it's ****in sanic. I realized a lot of his game is about punishing rolls and confusing you by rushing you down both ways. By forcing him to come from a single direction, it wasn't the standard blue-whir attack. He simply didn't get very many of his blue-ball up-air combos that very quickly rack on damage to like 40%.

Building off this, by spending a lot of time in the air, he seemed pretty lost as well, and in that scenario, I was able to apply some pressure to him.

I have a feeling this won't really work against a great sonic, but I do think it'll hurt your run-o-mill Sonics.

CatStache

Smash Cadet
NNID
CatStache
Hello everyone, been playing sheik since launch as a secondary. So I thought It would be a good idea to join in on the social.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
For the best Sheik imo, I definitely think Mr. R and False. I enjoy watching them the best, and they both show extreme knowledge of the character and go for some unpredictable ****.

Dyce

Smash Cadet
If you f throw, run up and hold up smash. I've gotten plenty of sweetspotted tippers because of that. But you definitely need to condition your opponent.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Someone should make a thread on fthrow > usmash~
I did some testing on this and found for Fox with no DI in training mode it worked till 60% but when I tried doing it with away DI (training mode) I was unable to get it to work beyond like 10%. I didn't go indepth though so it's possible I could of been ****ing up more then getting it worked. It was enough for me to add it to my play but not enough for me to invest a ton of time studying it.

Honestly I think point blank Ftilt into usmash would be a much better project, it seems to work way more constantly on like everyone so far after 45%. The amount of DI testing I've done with testing partners has also shockingly shown training mode results to be deadly accurate. Like 100% identical. If I wasn't living up to the 'Casual' part of my title I would be testing that right now but constantly switching work hours with additional duties on the side, FF14 peer pressure from my co workers, and I'm sure a few other John's is preventing me from testing more.

someone should make a thread for Fair > Usmash

...and its probably going to be me.
Fair into usmash hmm, I think a better use of time would be Fair into BF. Not only would it be easier to test but I also think BF hit's higher then Usmash so the range of it working would be higher. Although I bet Fair into Usmash could potentially work in a lower percentage then Fair into BF. My problem with Fair though is the way to get the best results Sheik would have to be jumping into her opponent, get as close as possible and then Fair as close to the ground as possible...which is difficult to pull of constantly and unpractical. Now if you tried to testing max range fair into BF or usmash for that matter you now have to deal with it's oval hit box which will be a true pain and you still have to land it as close to the ground as possible if you want constant results.

Fair into usmash and BF NEEDS to be charted but due to these factors I think indepth testing isn't really possible or even really needed to be honest so maybe a more 'line in the sand' thread should be made instead that would only give a very rough estimate when it would work, preferably with DI.

Last edited:

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
I'm tired of ending things with bouncing fish. I dont want to end pressure at neutral, i want to keep momentum going as much as possible. Besides because of usmash ridiculous tipper box this doesnt make it that hard to do.

Sadly it makes it that hard to test.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I'm tired of ending things with bouncing fish. I dont want to end pressure at neutral, i want to keep momentum going as much as possible. Besides because of usmash ridiculous tipper box this doesnt make it that hard to do.

Sadly it makes it that hard to test.
That's a very good point to make.

Last edited:

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
yo, how many of you have changed your c stick from smash attack, to standard attack ? and if you did change it, why? how has that helped you

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
yo, how many of you have changed your c stick from smash attack, to standard attack ? and if you did change it, why? how has that helped you
aerial movement.

There's a thread about how you cant move as well while using c stick for air attacks if its set to smash

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
I set it to smash. Becasue when I set it to tilt, eveyr character starts doing random aerials.

FAir when I try to FAir. Yeah, that's not good.
Sometimes, I even get NAir. I don't even know how.

Last edited:

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
aerial movement.

There's a thread about how you cant move as well while using c stick for air attacks if its set to smash
do you remember what it's called or possibly have a link to it ?

I set it to smash. Becasue when I set it to tilt, eveyr character starts doing random aerials.

FAir when I try to FAir. Yeah, that's not good.
Sometimes, I even get NAir. I don't even know how.
that's bc if you angle the c stick diagonally, you perform a jab, if grounded and a nair, if airborne. you just have to be more precise when using the c stick

Last edited:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
There's been a lot of talk about aerial needles into Bouncing fish for a long time now but after watching this I can't help but be inspired to test it.

This is just me but I think it's the most pro looking thing for Sheik right now.

edit: ****'s really hard to make combo, like it took me 15 minutes in training mode to get it to work once and another 10 minutes to do it again >_<.

Still fancy as **** though.

edit2: AH the key trick to make this easier is you have to moving toward your opponent while throwing needles. ****ing pro, new found respect for @False

Last edited:

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
I have returned!!!

After a bit of a hiatus from sheik, I've picked her up as my dual main again. I love the fair strings, the projectiles, and the ability to be everywhere at once.

Anyone have any killing/gimping tips? I usually save my bair and keep it fresh for gimping and offstage kills, and bouncing fish works too, but it takes me longer to kill than I'd like. Any advice?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I have returned!!!

After a bit of a hiatus from sheik, I've picked her up as my dual main again. I love the fair strings, the projectiles, and the ability to be everywhere at once.

Anyone have any killing/gimping tips? I usually save my bair and keep it fresh for gimping and offstage kills, and bouncing fish works too, but it takes me longer to kill than I'd like. Any advice?
If you want to KO early then platforms/tip usmash, kill them off the top with uair or fsmash OoS

Does anyone know what to do in the Charizard match up if customs are on? I've got a sort of rival I'm playing in a funsies online tournament and I'd rather die than lose to him but I don't want to get destroyed by Dragon Rush.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Got bored and @ Absol Absol been aggressively asking for this for a while now so.

Master list of TL;DR
Ftilt basic combo's
  • Sheik can combo Ftilt into Ftilt on everyone at 20% but on Boswer
  • Sheik can combo Ftilt into Fair on everyone at 35% but on Boswer, fox, Greeninja, DK, Captain falcon, dedede.
  • Sheik can combo Ftilt into Usmash on everyone at 45% but on Bowser, Ganondorft, Wario
  • Sheik can combo Ftilt into Usmash from 40% to 71% on Diddy Kong
  • Sheik can combo Ftilt into Usmash up till 60% but on floaters like Luigi, Peach, Rosalina, Game and watch, Zelda, Toon Link, Greeninja, Kirby, Palutena, Jiggly, Pikachu, Ness, Wii Fit Trainer, Olimar
Fthrow into BF
  • This works on everyone if they fail to DI up and towards Sheik until 20% but on Jigglypuff, ness, kirby, Luigi, Olimar, Villager, Palutena, Peach. So don't try to do it on these characters unless you know their percents.
  • This will work no matter how Diddy Kong DI until 15%
  • This will work no matter how Dedede, Lucario, Rob, Charizard, DI until 30%. I highly suggest learning their individual percents Dedede 60%, Lucario 50%, Rob 35%, Charizard 30%
Dtilt into Uair/Vanish
  • Dtilt into full hop fake out Vanish kill everyone at 115% but dedede, Donkey Kong, Bowser, Wario, Ganondorf, Ike, Mega man, Bowser Jr. Captain Falcon, ROB
  • What this also means is dthrow into fake out vanish would also kill everyone around 115% but on dedede, Donkey Kong, Bowser, Wario, Ganondorf, Ike, Mega man, Bowser Jr. Captain Falcon, ROB
  • Dtilt into full hop/double jump Uair kill everyone at 125% with DI but dedede, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Captain Falcon, Mega man, Ike, Ganondorf, ROB, Wario, Bowswer Jr. Lucario, Charizard
  • What this also means is dthrow into uair would also kill around 125% on everyone with DI but on dedede, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Captain Falcon, Mega man, Ike, Ganondorf, ROB, Wario, Bowswer Jr. Lucario, Charizard
Rage
  • Almost all of Sheik moves are barely effected by Rage.
  • The only moves that are really effected are grabs, Uair, Fsmash and dash attack.
  • Uair and Fsmash kill 10% sooner with Sheik over 100%.
Weak Nair into BF
  • This combo on everyone at 100% but on Falco, Ganondorft, Bowser, Ike, Captain Falcon, Dedede, Fox, Mega man
  • This combo on everyone until 120% but on Rosalina, Jigglypuff, Zero suit Samus, Game and Watch, Samus, Kirby Falco
  • Rosalina is 80-100% but it should be MUCH higher if you land nair lower then her standing height.
  • For fat characters this can combo until 140% or more. Example: Rob, Bowser, Ike Mega man, Boswer Jr, Charizard, Captain Falcon, Dedede, DK

It's always nice to sum up most likely 100+ hours of solid work between multiple people in 19 bullets. -sighs-

edit: If someone ask for a TL;DR for the TL;DR I'll cut them.

Last edited:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
bookmarked this post LOL

NOW NEEDLES INTO FISH
Thinking of which I have a mechanic question that I hope you might be able to answer. Until recently I thought when a character was knock away from a attack their animation would always be the same but recently studies has shown this is not the case. Seemly random they go into a spin which greatly moves their hurt boxes and change how combo friendly they are. Thankfully it's always better then the normal knock back animation.

So do you have any idea why this is happening?

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I've never heard of anything like this, nor have I noticed it yet, although maybe this explains why bouncing fish looks retardedly disjointed when i use it out of throws. Hmm.

This seems fairly important, but I have enough on my plate as it is.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I've never heard of anything like this, nor have I noticed it yet, although maybe this explains why bouncing fish looks retardedly disjointed when i use it out of throws. Hmm.

This seems fairly important, but I have enough on my plate as it is.
Since you seem to be the only other Sheik on I'll might as well tell you my progress ^_^

90-160% I can get this to combo on Zero suit Samus in training mode but I can't do it constantly. It seems after jumping forward into the needle throw how exactly the needles hit the opponent can decide if you will be able to land the bounce fish or not... It's strange though, I don't feel it's random but demanding godly precision. There's two outcomes in needle knock back.

1. Each needle hits and pushes the opponent upward before being sent fairly upwards. If you get this knock back then it's possible to combo as low as 90% but get this at 160% and they fly way too high and you will always miss.

2. Each needle hits and they get somehow hit horizontally. I don't understand why this is happening, even more so due to the fact all needles are still hitting but this seem to happen more often if not always if you don't hit with all needles. If you get this at 90% you wont be able to combo into BF.

There are percents where it doesn't matter how your needle hit them though, I can start constantly getting it to work at 105% on Zero Suit Samus no matter the knock back just as long all the needles hit.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I don't play this character, explain to me what we're doing with the needles. Fullhop needles into BF? Shorthop? Landing with needles? How many needles, or does it even matter?

Though before I even go into training to try anything, I'm going to assume that this discrepancy is because needles do more damage for their first three frames.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
forums didn't give me an alert for this post, thanks obama

Just saw Mr. R using it against ZeRo so that cleared things up. I'm sticking to my previous assumption for now.

Maybe I can convert you to #teamsheik while we're at it
Eh, she was one of the characters I was initially interested in but I can't get a feel for her. I don't think it's going to happen.

Also she hits like a pillow it isn't satisfying :c

Last edited:
Top Bottom