• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Human Body Mafia - Game Cancelled - All Roles Posted

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes in the most simple terms I do. However your moronic way of putting it hardly justifies WHY I think that. Try reading the last sentence of my first paragraph in post #438 bucko.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
No clue what I'm talking about? Sorry bro but just because two other possibilities of their doesn't mean they were presented equally. You first present the idea that the mafia did not nightkill as your conclusion. The other two possibilities are CLEARLY represented as an afterthought. THAT's what's suspicious. The way you worded that post it is clear that you favored for first proposition with no evidence to explain it. This supports my notion which you've managed to sweep to the side that such a decision could likely be reached as a result of direct involvement with night activity and the desire to dismiss such an activity immediately.
No, they weren't presented equally, because I find my first idea to be more realistic. You're trying to make it seem like I'm 100% convinced that I think that's what happened, which clearly isn't true. It isn't likely for a doc to protect the mafia's target with so many people playing the game, or roleblock.
Furthermore, regardless of whether or not your language is overbearing, fierce, fiery, or passive, you're still presenting the idea. People read it and are perhaps convinced by it. Sure you weren't on the warpath or anything but that doesn't mean you didn't make the argument. If you define pushing as a more passionate argument then so be it, but frankly I don't give two ****s how you define it. The point is, and I'm clarifying my statement know, it's the mere fact that the idea was presented that constitutes a push, be it a "light' push at that. My point can't be discredited by semantic disagreement.
Seeing that I've now explained how it would work, there's nothing wrong with me presenting the idea. We shouldn't write it off.
Inactives simply reduce the amount of information and opinion entering the game medium. How can they possibly directly detract from another player's ability to contribute, barring some kind of strange binding role?
It doesn't matter if other people are still able to contribute. At the end of the day, the majority of the players should be posting to exchange ideas, question others, and, ultimately, lynch somebody. Like you said yourself, inactives reduce the information and opinion entering the game medium. That makes all the difference. Keeping inactives around to help the active people flounder around would only help the mafia. The less active the townies are, the less likely the town is to get something done.

However, keep in mind that I'm not arguing that my idea is "better" or "more effective", as that wouldn't accomplish anything. I'm saying either one would've worked, and that they are both very possible. Suggesting alternative ideas to what happened last night. My point is, the idea I posted shouldn't be written off, nor am I saying that what other people have posted should be.

You're trying to make something out of nothing.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I can see where both sides are coming from. On the one hand, frozenflame brings up a valid point: that Marshigio seems to passively dismiss two ideas and favor one because he may have inside information about the Mafia's actions.

On the other hand, based on his experience in playing these games and given the size and conditions of this current game, Marshigio came to the conclusion that he thought was most likely.

I think I'm with Marshigio on this one, as it doesn't seem like simply coming up with an idea and believing it to be most likely automatically qualifies him as Mafia. It simply shows that he can formulate a (likely) idea and present it.

Still, Marshigio's stance is more suspicious than frozenflame's accusation, but there isn't enough to say that either is Mafia.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
No, they weren't presented equally, because I find my first idea to be more realistic. You're trying to make it seem like I'm 100% convinced that I think that's what happened, which clearly isn't true. It isn't likely for a doc to protect the mafia's target with so many people playing the game, or roleblock.Seeing that I've now explained how it would work, there's nothing wrong with me presenting the idea. We shouldn't write it off.
Well now you see, we've reached an impasse. On this point it comes down to whether or not my belief is more convincing or yours is, to everyone else. Your reasoning that you present that idea because you believed it to be more realistic and my belief that you did it because, as GoldShadow so kindly restated for me, that you are privvy to mafiat information, are mutually exclusive. Neither or our stance can be disproved by the others. It's up to everyone else to decide which is more believable. And what do you mean by "write it off?" Dismiss it? I don't ever recall advocating the dismissal of your presented ideas. In fact, my entire argument has been bringing them to the forefront. :dizzy:

It doesn't matter if other people are still able to contribute. At the end of the day, the majority of the players should be posting to exchange ideas, question others, and, ultimately, lynch somebody. Like you said yourself, inactives reduce the information and opinion entering the game medium. That makes all the difference. Keeping inactives around to help the active people flounder around would only help the mafia. The less active the townies are, the less likely the town is to get something done.
You've still got this wrong. I choose my words poorly when I said inactive "reduce" the amount of information in the game. What I should have said, is that their inactivity prevents the town from reaching its upward limit of potential commentary and feedback on any given day. In essence, inactives have no effect on the ability of others to contribute, they just don't contribute themselves which doesn't directly hurt the town, but it most certainly does not HELP. Where inactives DO hurt the town is in the night phase, during which they provide anti-town groups with easy, untraceable fodder, and by inflating the required number of votes to achieve lynch.

Regardless of whether or not an inactive player is dead or alive has no bearing on how much information enters the game from other players. As such, your argument that an inactive player causes active players to flounder is flawed.

There really is little to no reason for anti town groups to leave inactives alive. Because they inflate the required number of votes to achieve lynch, their presence lessens the vote power of these numerically inferior groups. As such, whittling inactives down actually empowers the anti-town vote. You last statement in the quote above is correct, however I think you believe it to be true for incorrect reasons.

However, keep in mind that I'm not arguing that my idea is "better" or "more effective", as that wouldn't accomplish anything. I'm saying either one would've worked, and that they are both very possible. Suggesting alternative ideas to what happened last night. My point is, the idea I posted shouldn't be written off, nor am I saying that what other people have posted should be.

You're trying to make something out of nothing.
I really don't see what you're trying to tell me here. Again I must assume that by "written off" you mean dismissing your idea, the opposite of which I've been doing. I've never asserted that the ideas present by others should be dismissed either. My entire point has been it was YOUR passive dismissal of 2 of your 3 presented ideas that I found scummy.

I'm most definitely not making something out of nothing. 3rd party input tells us this, despite the fact that he disagrees with me. He does acknowledge that you seem to passively dismiss those 2 other possibilities, which is the centerpiece of my entire argument, as shown below.

I can see where both sides are coming from. On the one hand, frozenflame brings up a valid point: that Marshigio seems to passively dismiss two ideas and favor one because he may have inside information about the Mafia's actions.
Guess we'll just have to wait for some more people to chime in before this gets anywhere.

Mr.Lombardi34

Smash Ace
If Marshigio, being the experienced player that he is, was mafia, I really don't think he'd be telling us about what the mafia did, especially not if that is what they actually did. He just stated his opinion in a light, passive way. I don't find the Shigs suspicious for guessing the mafia's actions, nor do I find Frozenflame suspicious because of his attack.

Handorin

Smash Hero
What Lom said basically. I throw out multiple ideas all the time, and I always have a favorite within. Stop trying to make something out of nothing (to steal words).

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
If Marshigio, being the experienced player that he is, was mafia, I really don't think he'd be telling us about what the mafia did, especially not if that is what they actually did. He just stated his opinion in a light, passive way. I don't find the Shigs suspicious for guessing the mafia's actions, nor do I find Frozenflame suspicious because of his attack.
You totally missed the point. I never said that Marshigio said what the mafia did. I said that he passively dismissed two other viable possibilities for the night actions and favored one because he may have been privvy to mafiat knowledge. Whether that conclusion that he drew is what the mafia did, or not what they did is not the point.

What Lom said basically. I throw out multiple ideas all the time, and I always have a favorite within. Stop trying to make something out of nothing (to steal words).
You just haven't read anything and clearly have no idea what's going on.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Moronic, heh.

One of the worst things you can do in a mafia game is to over complicate very simple things. I over simplfied to show you the other extreme which we both clearly saw was a very foolish way to look at things. Marshi's post I still don't concider very mafia-esce regardless but it is always strange to throw ideas out as though you know for a fact what is going on and what isn't.
In the end you are doing something very similar to what you accused Marshi of. Tunneling on a particular subject. Push for your points but widen your view; that is all I'm asking; playing similarly to you in pervious games would have cost me them (if they continued, lol)

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Even if he's mafia he might not be telling the truth. One possible scenario is that their hitman guy did get roleblocked. The mafia would be pretty much screwed if the roleblocker found their hitman the first night. So to distract the roleblocker they push the idea that the mafia simply chose not to kill, so that next night the roleblocker chooses someone else.

I really don't think the mafia chose not to kill. Even if they just felt like leaving inactives alive for some reason, just because someone's inactive on Day 1 doesn't mean they won't be active later on.

But I'm not too convinced either way and will have to reread before making a vote.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Moronic, heh.

One of the worst things you can do in a mafia game is to over complicate very simple things. I over simplfied to show you the other extreme which we both clearly saw was a very foolish way to look at things. Marshi's post I still don't concider very mafia-esce regardless but it is always strange to throw ideas out as though you know for a fact what is going on and what isn't.
In the end you are doing something very similar to what you accused Marshi of. Tunneling on a particular subject. Push for your points but widen your view; that is all I'm asking; playing similarly to you in pervious games would have cost me them (if they continued, lol)
I'm not over complicating anything. The whole issue is very simple. I saw that Marshigio passively dismissed two viable potential explanations for the results of the night. I drew the conclusion that this could be a scum tell because such passive dismissal could be a result of being privvy to mafiat knowledge. Marshigio has defended himself by saying that he simply though that first idea to be "more realistic." Just because it's the simplest answer doesn't mean it's the right one, and if you think Occum's Razor is the ultimate authority here you're gravely mistaken.

If Marshigio is such a great player as you all seem to be convinced he is, then perhaps the simplest answer isn't the correct one. With experience come complexity. Saying he though that one idea to be more realistic is a bulletproof but whimsical response to my accusations. He could very easily be lying and it'd be difficult to reprimand him for it.

I've done absolutely nothing to complicate the issue. Just because I've said a lot doesn't mean I'm over complicating it. If reading the game, finding what you believe to be a scumtell, and accusing someone of it is considered over complicating the game, then you all must love inactive games despite your anti-inactive preaching. They're simple aren't they?

And no, I'm not tunnel visioning at all. If you had read my earlier posts more closely you'd have seen my explanation of how Marsh's stance and my stance are MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE. I literally CAN'T tunnel vision because their is only one alternative to my theory. How can I acknowledge validity of both and still have a stance? I can qualify my position because there can be no varying degrees of validity between the opposing points. One side has to be wrong and one right in this case.

But by all means, if you can think of some alternative theory to the whole thing that I can "widen my view" to, please present it.

You obvoiusly didnt read my post and clearly dont understand me. I read everything and know what is going on.
Your wit is astounding. If you know what's going on, why don't you try addressing (or god forbid refuting) some of my points, as opposed to just copypasta-ing the points of the two posters ahead of you. I'd absolutely love to see a piece of trash like you try.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Cerebellum Vote Count --- 10 Votes Needed To Lynch

spam_master : 3 (McCloud, -Chad-, Variola)
-Chad- : 1 (GoldShadow)
No Lynch : 2 (Tom =), Ussi)
KevinM : 1 (<3)
Marsigio : 1 (frozenflame751)

Flipstar

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for not posting. I haven't read this in awhile, i'll reread when i get the chance.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Your wit is astounding. If you know what's going on, why don't you try addressing (or god forbid refuting) some of my points, as opposed to just copypasta-ing the points of the two posters ahead of you. I'd absolutely love to see a piece of trash like you try.
Well, Im sorry they posted first. And honestly, I dont care about your argument. It isnt a big deal to have more than one theory and prefering one. If you guys want to argue over something as stupid as that, go ahead and I will wait until you guys are done bickering so we can talk about something else.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
OK, here's my input on the ongoing argument:

Frozenflame, who cares if Marshigio has several ideas and favors one? I DON'T. And don't argue with me because I won't respond!!!
Alright fine I don't argue with you but if I may I'd like to shed some light on the importance of the reasoning WHY Marshigio favors one idea over another. That's the central issue.

My repeated argument has been that Marshigio passively dismissed two viable possibilities because of mafiat information of night happenings that he may be privvy to.

His argument is that he simply found one possibility more realistic than the others.

I don't think that you understand that THIS is the central issue, the reason WHY he likes one idea over the others, NOT the actual act of favoring one idea.

In all honesty though, you're playing quite possibly the WORST game if you are too immature to respond to others arguments. Like, I can't think of a game where being responsive is more important... :dizzy:

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Yeah Frozenflame, I did mean dismissing it, which I assumed you were trying to do, but I'm clearer after your post. I also agree about it being stuck until others post.

Again, I found it extremely unlikely that the doc or roleblocker was able to get the right target out of 20 other people on night 1. I didn't find it so impossible that it wasn't worth mentioning, but still favored my first idea because I thought it was more realistic.
I really do despise the gameplay in this forum. Two people have come in and said "DON'T ARGUE WITH ME CAUSE I DON'T LIKE TO ARGUE"
They're not arguing because they believe it to be a pointless argument, not the reason you said. Besides, both players you mentioned have argued in the past.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I am requesting a dead line.
Why do you guys keep preempting my deadlines? :urg:

Anyhow, I'm not going to set a deadline just yet, but I will in the next few days if there's not a significant rise in activity.

BreakWing

Smash Rookie
Ouch. I got activity prodded.

I'm going to go read what I haven't been paying attention to, but until then

Vote: No One

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Deadline in effect.

If no lynch vote is reached by 11:59 EST, September 9th, there will be an automatic no-lynch.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
I guess I just find it frustrating that everyone keeps dismissing the potential scum I've raised as nothing when no one else has brought ANYTHING else up, quite literally. How can my find be absolutely nothing when no one else has noticed anything else? Like seriously, this is kind of pathetic.

Whatever, maybe something neat will happen over night. I guess that's all we can hope for.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Because as of now, your argument is insignificant. Maybe it will later. Why is it this game you choose to point out someone favoring an idea when there are plenty of instances in other games? (Meaning, why is it not brought up then, but now it is)

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
No, no, no, it's NOT insignificant. That's the whole point dude. >_<

I JUST said that it ISN'T insignificant because its the ONLY potential scumtell that's been brought up. Significance is relative. If there are no other scumtells, then how can the only scumtell that's been brought into question be insignificant?

Why haven't I brought up a similar tell to question in other games? Plenty of reasons. If this instance has occurred before, I may not have noticed it because RELATIVE to other scummy behavior it may have seemed insignificant. Or maybe it was passive dismissal later on after the declaration of day. Or maybe other ideas were dismissed for publicly available reasons.

I'm not going to go back and try to find any and every instance like that that you've found (unless you're talking out of your *** and assuming this has happened before), but if you want me to explain on a case by case basis, please provide me with some links and/or quotes and I'll gladly do so.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
/facepalm

I've seriously explained this so many times. How can you honestly say you know what's going on?

Please go back and re-read my debate with Mashigio. I've been over that so many times. It's more or less my entire argument.

Handorin

Smash Hero
How can you still honestly believe it though? I've read all the garbage once. Not going to again when it is fail logic imo.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Honestly believe it? Maybe because I'm not lying? I'm sticking with what I've said because it's a completely valid argument and you've done absolutely nothing to disprove that. You act as if you're in the right when you've done nothing to prove so. As of right now, I'M the one with the case, you're just saying the same pointless **** over and over again as if you had some evidence to prove me wrong.

Let's see it buddy. Show me my fail logic. You've been ***** footing around the issue all day because you don't have **** to back up your talk you *****.

Handorin

Smash Hero
It's natural for people to do that to like one thing over another. I like pizza more than broccoli. I like manual transmission over automatic. I like Idea A over Idea B.

You are honestly making to big of a deal out of it for no reason.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's also natural for people to favor one idea over another if they consciously are aware of information that would inform such a decision. People like different things for a REASON, and the idea I'm proposing is that that reason is one related to mafiat knowledge.

Of course it's totally viable that he may just have randomly decided to dismiss two equally viable ideas for no reason whatsoever, however I believe it is more likely that other information was the catalyst.

Are you so thick skulled that you can't understand that? I've already denoted this impasse in a previous post addressing Marshigio. This is yet more proof of your ignorance. We're WELL AWARE that my theory is not the only theory, however your argument that my theory is completely invalid is total and complete bull****. You've presented no reasoning, nor evidence to refute my theory, and as such you are in absolutely NO place to dismiss it as if it has been proven fundamentally incorrect.

I'm pretty well aware now that you're on Marshigio's side of the impasse and I can't really do anything to change that. But trying to assert that my side has no reason for existence is way out of line and totally unjustified.

Handorin

Smash Hero
No, you just denounce my reasoning. I understand what you are saying, I just completely disagree. While your logic may be true, I do not believe it to be valid enough. Have you not realized that yet? We are arguing over two truths that dont matter, just like you did before.

Also, I'm not really siding with Marsh, I am just against what you said.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
What reasoning could I possibly denounce if you've yet to present any?

First you say I'm using "fail logic" and now you say it "may be true." Good to know you're not talking out of your *** and correcting yourself later. >_>

Disagreeing with me is agreeing with Marsh. You have the same opinion on the matter as he does. There isn't any gray area there.

Mr.Lombardi34

Smash Ace
It's also natural for people to favor one idea over another if they consciously are aware of information that would inform such a decision. People like different things for a REASON, and the idea I'm proposing is that that reason is one related to mafiat knowledge.
Or, his reason for favoring the idea that the mafia chose not to kill is much more likely anyway than the other options he stated.

The original post was this: "Guess the mafia went with the no nightkill route last evening, probably to let the town run around with as little info as possible. Or they were roleblocked or docblocked, but eh.

Sorry for the cult leader, one of the more interesting roles."

The idea that he didn't favor was that the mafia's kill was blocked by the doctor or roleblocker. Do you realize how unlikely that is? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume there are two roles in the game that could have stopped the nightkill. Both of those roles have 19 other players to choose from. They will each choose 1 out of 19, so that's 2/19. Then the mafia, assuming there are 4, to be fair, had 17 players to choose from. 1/17.

1/17 * 2/19 = 2/323. Simplified, that's a 1/162 chance that the mafia's kill was blocked. That's so incredibly unlikely that Marsh would have to be an idiot not to favor the other option! He made an educated guess on what the mafia did, and then mentioned that something else, while unlikely, could have happened.

If he truly was mafia and knew that the mafia didn't night kill, what reason could he possibly have for saying so? You are absolutely making something out of nothing. I agree to some degree that the significance of a scum tell is subjective to a certain degree, but if you get this extreme, it's rather ridiculous. What marsh originally said was almost completely normal, and somehow, around ten pages later, you think that because nothing else slightly suspicious is going on, that must be a scum tell. It isn't. You should just end it. Going by what you said, anything could be a scum tell! Your persistent attack on Marshigio could be a scumtell, since nothing else right now is.

We need to shift focus to what we should do about this deadline. Although I really don't see what we could accomplish in just a few hours. Unless activity picks up at an incredible rate, we're going to have a no-lynch automatically. Besides that, nobody is suspicious enough right now that such a speedy lynch could even take place.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Everyone attacking Frozenflame is being completely dumb.

Marshigo went with the most unlikely scenario and presented it as being the most likely, without any evidence for it. Not killing a player? That's the only way the mafia can win. If the mafia did get roleblocked or doc blocked, then that's useful information about who they wanted to kill or as to who is in the mafia. By changing it to "well they probably didn't kill anyone", he could be trying to destroy any useful information that could be gained from it.

Doc block is not a matter of "percentage". That's like saying every football team has a 50% chance of winning every game because there are only two possible outcomes. If the mafia and the doctor both just randomly picked someone, then yes, it's unlikely. That's not what happens. The mafia picks who to kill and the doctor picks who to protect based on their reasoning on who should die or who might die.

Roleblocking is easier, if someone was unsure about someone they'd target them, and that is also more likely then the mafia not nightkilling.

For Marshigio to just throw the other two more likely and possibly damaging theories away is worthy of suspicion. Frozenflame has been sticking to his argument and making a sound case. Half of you are just being dumb or not reading his posts at all

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Or, his reason for favoring the idea that the mafia chose not to kill is much more likely anyway than the other options he stated.

The original post was this: "Guess the mafia went with the no nightkill route last evening, probably to let the town run around with as little info as possible. Or they were roleblocked or docblocked, but eh.

Sorry for the cult leader, one of the more interesting roles."

The idea that he didn't favor was that the mafia's kill was blocked by the doctor or roleblocker. Do you realize how unlikely that is? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume there are two roles in the game that could have stopped the nightkill. Both of those roles have 19 other players to choose from. They will each choose 1 out of 19, so that's 2/19. Then the mafia, assuming there are 4, to be fair, had 17 players to choose from. 1/17.

1/17 * 2/19 = 2/323. Simplified, that's a 1/162 chance that the mafia's kill was blocked. That's so incredibly unlikely that Marsh would have to be an idiot not to favor the other option! He made an educated guess on what the mafia did, and then mentioned that something else, while unlikely, could have happened.

If he truly was mafia and knew that the mafia didn't night kill, what reason could he possibly have for saying so? You are absolutely making something out of nothing. I agree to some degree that the significance of a scum tell is subjective to a certain degree, but if you get this extreme, it's rather ridiculous. What marsh originally said was almost completely normal, and somehow, around ten pages later, you think that because nothing else slightly suspicious is going on, that must be a scum tell. It isn't. You should just end it. Going by what you said, anything could be a scum tell! Your persistent attack on Marshigio could be a scumtell, since nothing else right now is.

We need to shift focus to what we should do about this deadline. Although I really don't see what we could accomplish in just a few hours. Unless activity picks up at an incredible rate, we're going to have a no-lynch automatically. Besides that, nobody is suspicious enough right now that such a speedy lynch could even take place.
You are SO incredibly dumb. You've brought nothing new to the table.

I've already addressed, and Eor re-explained for me, why the option Marshigio favored is NOT the most likely outcome due to the fact that it is completely non-beneficial for the mafia at this stage in the game, especially with this many inactives.

Also, your math is total and complete bull****. Do you even understand how probability works? For ****s sake dude, that was pathetic. If there are two roleblockers, all they need to do to stop the mafia's kill is pick the one doing the killing. So you get TWO blockers each with a 1/19 chance of blocking the killer. The probably is 2/19. How did you botch that? Like seriously?

Not that it even matters anyway, determining the likelihood of night activities isn't a pure numbers like Eor said. This is like basic **** dude. Get your head out of your ***.

All I can really do is just /facepalm at your last paragraph. You've clearly failed to read and understand all my points up until now. You're just spewing the same ignorant **** everyone else has. Of course he wouldn't want to reveal that he has mafia knowledge on PURPOSE! That's why it's a scumtell! It was a mistake on his part!

This isn't extreme at all. Like I said, the significance of a scumtell is relative. What he did wasn't normal at all, that's why I picked up on it! It stood out to me because it was DISTINCTLY ABNORMAL COMPARED TO ITS SURROUNDING CONTEXT! THIS IS HOW HUMANS NOTICE THINGS!

No, not everything could be a scum tell. You kind of need reasoning to back what you deem a scumtell up, which I have. Of course my persistent attack could be labeled as a scumtell. Unless you have reasoning to support that though, how can you say it is? Whether or not someone calls something a scumtell is inconsequential without sufficient reasoning to back it up.

There's nothing we can do about the deadline. We'll never get anywhere near enough simultaneous activity to achieve a lynch. We'll just have to see what tomorrow brings.

Top Bottom