• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Huge Johnz 2: Justice shall be served April 28th Portage IN venue confirmed

BIG C

Smash Master
Portage, IN 46368
Date: April 28th 2007

Time:
Reg at 11 AM
Teams starts at 12 PM Central time.

entrance fees:
$5 cover charge for venue
$10 for singles
$20 for teams ($10 per person)
all together $25 per person this is how money will be collected no I might do singles. Unless you just show up for singles or say you're not doing teams. I will not accept reg money after like 12 unless I am called and informed of you being late.

No in-game coaching is allowed. Coaching is only allowed between matches, and the player and coach may only discuss for a maximum of 1 minute.

Rules

Universal Rules
-NO STAGE BANS
-After losing a match, you can choose a stage to counterpick to from the Counterpick Only list as well as the Random Stage list. Your opponent then chooses their character. Then you choose your character.
-Dave's Stupid Rule = you cannot counterpick to the stage you won on last.
-Controller Mods = banned, except cosmetic or l-button spring removal mods (4 aob)
-items = off
-4 stock
-FF = on
-Life Stealing = on
-Time Limit = 8 minutes
-all tactics that stall a match, such as rising pound or wallbombing, that aren't used for recovery are banned and if someone is seen using it in a match will result in a loss of the match for the player stalling. Stalling can be called at any point during the match, even at the end, and can be called for any duration (it doesn't matter if you do it for a minute or 10 seconds or less, either can be penalized and it is at the discretion of the tourney host).
-IC freeze glitch = banned
-Wobbling = BANNED
- Any throwing of matches or unfair play will result in a disqualification.
- Any player can call a double-blind for the first match of a set. Each player tells a third party judge what character they wish to use, and then what they picked is revealed.

We will be using Swiss Seeding, as we believe it to be the most accurate as well as fun system for seeding. After swiss seeding is done, tournament will go to a 16 man, double elimination bracket.

Swiss Seeding Rules
-All players start with 0 points.
-A player earns a point for every match he wins in the set.
-All rounds are normal sets, with counterpicking, double blinds, etc.
-Every round, a player will play a random person with the same amount of points or near their amount of points if there are odd number of people with a certain point value. Therefore, first round will be completely random as everyone has 0 points. If there are an odd number of players total, then a bye player will be added who loses 0-2 every time.
-This is done 8 times.
-The 16 players with the most points at the end of the 8 rounds qualify for brackets.
-Brackets are seeded based on points. First seed is given to the player with the most points and this goes on until 16 players are given seeds into the bracket.
-In case of players within the top 16 having ties for certain point values or when there isn't a clear 16 due to ties expanding past 16 players (aka when there isn't a clear 16th seed), round robins will be done between those that are tied. However, if 2 players within a round robin already played each other during the previous rounds of swiss, their previous score will be used and they will not play each other. Therefore if only 2 people are tied for a seed, they will play a set to determine who gets the higher seed. If they already played each other however, then they won't play at all and their previous set will be used. If 2 players played each other previously more than once, then the last set they played is used. -If a round robin produces a tie, then here is the order of things that will be consulted to resolve that tie.
1.Head to Head
2.Total # of wins (largest amount is better)
3.Total # of losses (least amount is better)
4.A single, double-blind, random stage match between the players in question. (Not possible in cases where ties are between more than 2 people)
5.If there is a tie greater than that of 2 people, and step 4 cannot be used, then we will go back to each players swiss record and count losses (least amount is better).
-Players who fail to show to their matches after 2 minutes will receive a warning. If they do not show after 4 minutes, they automatically receive a loss for their first match (their opponent receives a win). If they do not show after 6 minutes then they will lose the set.

Bracket Rules
-16 man bracket
-Double Elimination

]Stages

Random Stages
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium
Dreamland 64

Counterpick Only Stages
Fountain Of Dreams
Yoshi's Story
Battlefield

random reset rule
can reset stage on random within 5 seconds of match starting if no lives were lost or about to be lost(i.e. suicide in beginning) if gotten on random again stage must be played

(Team Stages will be the same minus Fountain of Dreams)

All other stages are BANNED.

teams are same but FoD is banned

Other Rules & Special Issues

--Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. Tournament staff may randomly inspect any controller at their discretion. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be immediately disqualified from the tournament.
-- Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned, not that anyone uses them.
--Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the match or makes it in any way unfinishable are banned. Using them will result in the immediate forfeit of the match.
-- Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to manuever around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. Judges will be on the tournament floor can be called in at any time to enforce this rule during a match.
--You are responsible to BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER.
-- IC infinite aka Wobbles is banned and is an automatic forefeit of the match played if you use it
--the tourny format will be swiss we will be doing swiss up to the top 16 which will lead into a 16 man double elim bracket.

BRING CUBES WE HAVE TVs

technically the place is the bowling alley to the left of the sports plex.

AS Money

Smash Lord
hey it is what you get for having everyone's first names on the stupid list.

i had no clue that tom, joe and bob all played together or that anthony A was cunning

though cunning is so fast he could be in two pools at once and do just fine IMO

and haveing a guy from MI doing pools for mostly crews from ID and IL it was just asking to happen

and tink being high and saying "dude dude these two play a lot **** WTF I'm too baked to drive to the devils house"

saZmus

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, long time no see. I'm pretty sure me and 1guy can make it, team Low Tier has kinda turned into team 1guy+saZmus. I might be able to grab another 1 or 2 who knows, but for now count me and 1guy in!

Zjiin

Smash Master
These are too sweet to miss. More setups than you can possibly fit people in there to play 'em!

+++++++++++++++++++++

BIG C

Smash Master
Heh which reminds me if you can bring chairs im gonna try to get the guy to move the futons so we can use chairs and fit more ppl there. and maybe move some of the TVs around or something.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Heh which reminds me if you can bring chairs im gonna try to get the guy to move the futons so we can use chairs and fit more ppl there. and maybe move some of the TVs around or something.
Arranging the tv's in pairs so they are next to each otherand facing opposite directions would be the optimal way to do it.

Mars-

Smash Champion
WTF WHY THE **** IS CORNERIA BANNED WHAT THE **** NOW I AM NOT GOING TO THIS FOR SURE BIG C.

AND APPARENTLY IT DOESN'T LET ME TYPE IN ALL CAPS EITHER!

Lets try this.

that 1 guy

Smash Ace
Well the only stage that you have down that I don't think should be banned is corneria. Yes it is good for camping, but I don't really see it as an autowin. I do find it to be annoying though.

Dr. Steve Brule

Smash Apprentice
So apparently Corneria is so bad that you have to ban it but Pokefloats and Rainbow Cruise are okay? Corneria is a counter pick stage, not random, it shouldn't be banned just because fox and falco can camp.
you're right we SHOULD ban floats and cruise.

OH WAIT, TIERS DONT EXIST IS GONNA DO THAT TOO!!!!!!!

that 1 guy

Smash Ace
I still don't understand what is so bad about rainbow cruise. It's not as bad as places like brinstar in my opinion. Also if anything I think corneria is worse than rainbow cruise. You can sorta camp on rainbow cruise but it is not even close to as bad as corneria.

Poke floats on the other hand supports space animals way too much. Plus ice climbers can sorta play on rainbow cruise where on poke floats it is basically impossible.

Tink

Smash Hero
yeah, with what has happend in the past last tournaments, it shows what happens on corneria.

and im not talking about vidjo gay corneria, thats in a whole other league <_<.

BIG C

Smash Master
yeah, with what has happend in the past last tournaments, it shows what happens on corneria.

wayne i am the master of confusing posts and this one has even stumped me. I have no clue wtf you mean there.

Tink

Smash Hero
ok, ill tackle this:

yeah, with what we have seen in past tournaments, we can se how gay corneria is.

vidjo is soo gay on corneria, its in a whole different league when compared to the camping we're talking about here.

Sliq

Smash Master
I'm not so keen about the stage bans (I actually don't counterpick any of them, but it seems sort of a personal preference for the ban, and not litigated reasoning), but I am not really going to complain about it, seeing as how it is not my tournament, and it doesn't really upset me enough to not go. So I will hopefully be there and do things. Enjoyment will be distributed. Fun will be had.

Dr. Steve Brule

Smash Apprentice
I'm not so keen about the stage bans (I actually don't counterpick any of them, but it seems sort of a personal preference for the ban, and not litigated reasoning)
1. no one likes the stages but people who need them for a win
2. it's bad for people in the long run to rely on counterpicks like that, because they won't learn how to fight, only camp. thus will always go 1-2 against good people.

BIG C

Smash Master
and that's why i counterpick fox and falco to FD with sheik y'know i totally have an advantage well that is when they ban FoD but still. if there is too much of an advabtage it's ridiculous. Trust me i know a less skilled player can beat a better player at corneria i.e me vs pete chen when i camped the finwith upb and won.

Dr. Steve Brule

Smash Apprentice
1.) Thats just like saying that Foxes or Falcons or Ice Climbers that need FD to win suck. It's a counter pick, do you know why people counter pick stages? So they have an advantage. And just because they have an advantage doesn't mean they will win. Ask Eddie. I counterpicked corneria against him and he still owned me. People need to learn how to use different stages. Banning a stage because it can be camped isn't a good reason. If you don't get more damage, you don't need to worry about camping.
2.) It's bad it the long run for people who don't play on it. Just because it is being banned in this tournament doesn't mean other tournaments will ban it too. What happens then? Your going to maybe lose because you don't have experience on a stage.

BTW, my post is so much neater than yours.
1. foxes or falcons or ice climbers that need fd to win suck.

counterpick =/= instant win. that's not what counterpicks were designed for. and of course we are talking about equal levels of skill, so eddie owning you is not big deal. corneria is good for samus, btw, but fox is way better on it. counterpicks were designed for advantages, not instant wins. and counterpicks SHOULDNT make you have to change your character. an example of a level that does that is onett. another example is green greens. another is corneria. onett is the worst of those 3 and was thus banned.

next, saying "learn stages" is a kish thing to do. it should be "learn to fight". if you need further explanaition read #2

2. no. you see, learning to camp on corneria will do 2 things:
a. you will win 1 match out of a set
b. you will not learn how to fight on a neutral stage.

so guess what happens? you get ***** on a neut stage, then you win 1 match, then you get ***** on another neut stage. gg you lost the set

if you learn how to fight better than anyone else, not camp, you are golden. the problem w/ midwest right now is that new people (such as yourself) are being led to believe that camping works at higher levels of play. it doesn't. next, new people are also being led to believe that winning 1 match by counterpicking to a camping stage makes you better than if you lost 2-0 on neut stages. that's a big false. reason was explained earlier.

this is why my tourney only uses neut 6 for stages. we are trying to not only have a less homothug time, but we are also trying to get the mw better.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
I think if your going through all these length just to ban "camping Fox stages" then you should also ban Mute City and Brinstar. Peach is ridiculously good on both of these stages and might as well be considered an "instant win".

Also Rick I don't know what your trying to say. It seems like your contradicting yourself by telling us to "Learn to fight" but at the same time saying how gay camping is and how certain stages should be banned because it supports camping. Learning how to deal with campers is part of "Learn to fight".

Kel

Smash Master
5150 please stop posting....PLEASE

I play Marth and do NOT change on green greens. Neither do falcon players, fox players, peach players, Sheik players or falco players. The only thing left is trail.

You can play by your own rules in tournaments but don't expect everyone else to. It's not like the option for you to camp yourself isn't there. Besides, for people to camp you have to be at a higher percent or less of a stock in the first place.

Just stop posting about this. This game has been out for 6 years and the rules have been discussed many, many times.

unban Icicle mountain!

Dr. Steve Brule

Smash Apprentice
5150 please stop posting....PLEASE

I play Marth and do NOT change on green greens. Neither do falcon players, fox players, peach players, Sheik players or falco players. The only thing left is trail.

You can play by your own rules in tournaments but don't expect everyone else to. It's not like the option for you to camp yourself isn't there. Besides, for people to camp you have to be at a higher percent or less of a stock in the first place.

Just stop posting about this. This game has been out for 6 years and the rules have been discussed many, many times.

unban Icicle mountain!
hey, no thx.
plz lern about stages.
next, telling me, "THE GAM HAS BEN OUT FOR LIEK YERS PLOX DON TALK BOUT IT!!11", won't make me think "oh you know what that's right lets just do whatever everyone else is doing because everyone else MUST be right, right?" (in conclusion: not right)

also, i never pressed my idea on BigC, he just agrees w/me on alot of the stages (not all though). so plz gtfo this topic.

just go off in a corner and be emo about something.

I think if your going through all these length just to ban "camping Fox stages" then you should also ban Mute City and Brinstar. Peach is ridiculously good on both of these stages and might as well be considered an "instant win".
i agree.

Also Rick I don't know what your trying to say. It seems like your contradicting yourself by telling us to "Learn to fight" but at the same time saying how gay camping is and how certain stages should be banned because it supports camping. Learning how to deal with campers is part of "Learn to fight".
no you see, camping is not fighting. learning to deal with camping is fighting, because you have to go up and do moves (aka play the game). camping is staying in an area waiting for someone to fight you. at the top level of play, camping: DOES. NOT. WORK. however, it does at lower levels of play, and on certain stages, aka not the neutral 6. so lower level players will want to get wins by counterpicking corneria, then camping their ***** off.

but when you do this, you aren't learning to fight. you are learning how to camp. so when you play good people, you will get obliterated on the neutral 6 stages. its a shortsighted strategy, because the most you'll ever do is 1-2 against good players.

Dr. Steve Brule

Smash Apprentice
Why don't we ban all the stages. Corneria isn't an instant win, and if it will only help the person get one win, why are you getting so upset about it? If they only get one win from it, then it shouldn't be a problem right, since they don't know how to fight on the rest of the random stage. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand
1.) Corneria is an instant win
2.) Anyone that picks corneria loses 2-1 anyway
3.) Anyone that picks corneria can't learn how to fight neutral stages because for some reason counterpicking corneria means you never played the first match, on a neutral stage.

I'm kinda lost with this because you are saying that anyone who picks corneria sucks without it, so then why are you complaining if you can beat them the next time easily?
do you not understand????????????????????????????? ITS TO GET MW BETTER. WHY DO PEOPLE HOST TOURNAMENTS. ITS FOR THE GOOD OF EVERYONE.

1. look at what happened at smym. both pikachus picked corneria and took matches off people that later 3 stocked them on a neut stage. (b-ryan vs chadd)
2. unless it's vidjo, then yes. why? because they picked corneria because they aren't as strong as the person they are playing on the neut stages, therefore aren't as good at fighting.
3. you played a neut on the first match, and lost. you feel weak on the neut stages, so you counterpicked to a camping level like corneria. so yes, they don't know how to fight on neut stages, and continuing to emphasize corneria-like counterpicks will emphasize camping instead of learning how to fight.

Top Bottom