• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Huge Johnz 2: Justice shall be served April 28th Portage IN venue confirmed

Zjiin

Smash Master
Why don't we ban all the stages. Corneria isn't an instant win, and if it will only help the person get one win, why are you getting so upset about it? If they only get one win from it, then it shouldn't be a problem right, since they don't know how to fight on the rest of the random stage. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand
1.) Corneria is an instant win
2.) Anyone that picks corneria loses 2-1 anyway
3.) Anyone that picks corneria can't learn how to fight neutral stages because for some reason counterpicking corneria means you never played the first match, on a neutral stage.

I'm kinda lost with this because you are saying that anyone who picks corneria sucks without it, so then why are you complaining if you can beat them the next time easily?
He's saying that no one is becoming better when they just handicap themselves by just getting good at levels where have obvious advantages . You wanna be a great young link/yoshi/pikachu/whatever? Then learn to fight on the neutrals, not just on your gay-a.ss counterpick.

Undefined

Smash Apprentice
He's saying that no one is becoming better when they just handicap themselves by just getting good at levels where have obvious advantages . You wanna be a great young link/yoshi/pikachu/whatever? Then learn to fight on the neutrals, not just on your gay-a.ss counterpick.
THANK YOU.

i seriously thought someone snuck in some crazy pills when i went to qdoba.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Okay, but what happens when you are better on other levels? Can't you get a bit better on camping stages as well?
If you're working on your character and not how he exploits the stage, you won't have to worry about that. Learn to handle how you can control your little guy on screen, and camping should become a waste of time.

The day you can kick a$$ on FD against "top tier" is the day where your counterpicks will become overkill.

My saying that corneria shouldn't be banned doesn't mean that I think that people should only learn to fight on camping stages. If you want to ban one stage because a character gets a very good advantage then I can add to that list.
It's not about who has an advantage, it's about not supporting a fighting style that doesn't allow you to grow in skill.

Undefined

Smash Apprentice
Okay.

HOW THE **** IS IT GOOD FOR THE MW? YOU DON'T SEE ANY OTHER REGIONS BANNING THESE STAGES, BECAUSE THEY KNOW HOW TO HANDLE THEM. CORNERIA ISN'T ONLY CAMPABLE BY ONE SINGLE CHARACTER, IT CAN BE CAMPED BY MULTIPLE CHARACTERS, LIKE SAMUS, PIKACHU, DOC, MARTH, FOX, FALCO, AND MORE OTHERS. MOST PEOPLE PLAY AT LEAST ONE CHAR THAT CAN CAMP CORNERIA. YOU GO TO THE EAST COAST AND TELL THEM, YOU SHOULD BAN MUTE CITY OR CORNERIA OR RAINBOW CRUISE BECAUSE THEY CAN BE CAMPED AND THEY WILL LAUGH IN YOUR FACE AT HOW DUMB THAT SOUNDS. GO TO THE WEST COAST AND THEY WILL OUT CAMP YOU IN ANY OF THOSE LEVELS. WHAT DOES THE MIDWEST DO? BAN THEM. THAT IS WHY THE MIDWEST SUCKS.
mars, how new are you to the community that you think this is true? the ec used to play on fd only, 5 stock. japan plays on 2 stages. wc just hosted a tournament called oc2 where there were only a total of 6 stages on (guess what ones). it was a compromise for japan players, but no one complained about it.

you ahve it THE DIRECT OPPOSITE.

have you seen the flame of bowser stages? NO OTHER REGION PUTS THOSE ON. when i talk to people from other regions aobut our stages, their reaction is ".......are you serious? LOL"

BECAUSE THEY DON'T PLAY THE WAY THE REST OF THE COUNTRY DOES. THE FEW PEOPLE IN THE MIDWEST THAT DO GOOD, DON'T MAKE ****ING LEVEL JONES. THIS ISN'T GOING TO HELP THE MIDWEST, IT WILL HURT IT. I AM ****ING SICK AND TIRED OF EVERYONE IN THE MID WEST CRYING ABOUT WHY WE SUCK, AND THEN SAYING THAT THE REASON WE SUCK IS BECAUSE THE RULES STILL AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH.

Thats all for now.
i didn't say we were bad cuz of the rules. i said we are bad because we rely on counterpicks to win, which ive explained 2 many times inherently fails.

Also I wanted to add, I never said that camping works in higher level of play. And even then, I'm sure that you would know all about higher level of play, seeing as how you win all these local tournaments and place high in major tournaments.
tourney placement =/= smarts.

and look at the top 8 players. all play super aggressively, except hugs who cant cuz he plays samus, and all play on neut stages. gg.

not to pick on anyone, and he knows i <3 him, but viper boy thinks "ganon >>>>>> falco"
zec thinks captain falcon beats shiek because he has "things' on her/him.

i talk to eddie all the time about this game, i know wtf im talking about. thx.

DaBearX

Smash Journeyman
mars, how new are you to the community that you think this is true? the ec used to play on fd only, 5 stock. japan plays on 2 stages. wc just hosted a tournament called oc2 where there were only a total of 6 stages on (guess what ones). it was a compromise for japan players, but no one complained about it.
Excellent point sir, I had almost forgotten. I myself am all for Japan's stages, but oc2's are admirable.

Dr. Steve Brule said:
at the top level of play, camping: DOES. NOT. WORK.
Now im, no pro by any means but I must disagree with you here. Just last night Eddie was camping in my brain every match I played him in. And it took me a long time to notice, and even when I did notice, my lower tiered brain could do nothing to thwart the camping. And eddie camps this way with every character, its actually pretty cheap if you ask me. I've noticed tink does it too. GET OUT OF MY HEAD YOU JERK-STORE!

much respect

Undefined

Smash Apprentice
Excellent point sir, I had almost forgotten. I myself am all for Japan's stages, but oc2's are admirable.

Now im, no pro by any means but I must disagree with you here. Just last night Eddie was camping in my brain every match I played him in. And it took me a long time to notice, and even when I did notice, my lower tiered brain could do nothing to thwart the camping. And eddie camps this way with every character, its actually pretty cheap if you ask me. I've noticed tink does it too. GET OUT OF MY HEAD YOU JERK-STORE!

much respect
ok, ya so here's why you are now my friend for life

1. you played with kdj
2. this post

<3

that 1 guy

Smash Ace
I would just like to say that "is a kish thing to say" is not really a way to back up your statements. Just because the kishes say something doesn't necessarily mean that it is bad. Also I still don't understand the problem with learning a stage. You have to learn how to use the neutral stages too. Platforms are a big deal in this game. They can set marth up for easy tippers on battlefield so does that mean we should ban that stage? Every stage can be exploited in this game. Yes some stages are just rediculously bad (hyrule) but I think sometimes just want to ban a stage that they are bad at instead of learning to overcome annoying counterpicks along with annoying styles of play.

Also if people are only handicapping themselves by only knowing how to camp then that is their own problem. If they want to sell themselves short that is fine by me. Also by not learning how to overcome this you are also handicapping yourself just because you don't want to deal with it.

Well that is my viewpoint on the whole stage thing for the time being.

edit: also to samus can play aggressively and be successful just to let you know.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Also if people are only handicapping themselves by only knowing how to camp then that is their own problem. If they want to sell themselves short that is fine by me.
Well that's good and all but some people are actually looking out for what's best for the midwest, not just themselves, which ironically, includes them.

Undefined

Smash Apprentice
I would just like to say that "is a kish thing to say" is not really a way to back up your statements. Just because the kishes say something doesn't necessarily mean that it is bad.
i didnt back my arguement with that statement, i backed it up with other things. read the post. but that IS what kishes say.
Also I still don't understand the problem with learning a stage.
stages are easy to learn. if it takes you more than a few matches you are a slow learner. its what certain characters can do on those stages that others can't that make them banworthy.
You have to learn how to use the neutral stages too. Platforms are a big deal in this game. They can set marth up for easy tippers on battlefield so does that mean we should ban that stage?
once again learning a stage isnt the problem. and whatever marth gains in platform abilities, he loses in chaingrab abilities and other characters, like falco and fox, gain in combo ability.
Every stage can be exploited in this game. Yes some stages are just rediculously bad (hyrule) but I think sometimes just want to ban a stage that they are bad at instead of learning to overcome annoying counterpicks along with annoying styles of play.
you can know what to do in a matchup, but not be able to do anything against it. an example of this was onett. the stage is so ridiculously biased towards fox it was banned. another example is fox on green greens and corneria. another example of this is peach/jiggs on mute and peach on brinstar. why do you think alot of players of those characters that like to camp go there every time? its almost a guaranteed win if they are playing someone of equal skill.

Also if people are only handicapping themselves by only knowing how to camp then that is their own problem. If they want to sell themselves short that is fine by me. Also by not learning how to overcome this you are also handicapping yourself just because you don't want to deal with it.
no its not just thier problem. it's mw's problem. less good players to play = less skill overall. why do you think ec is so good?

and it doesnt matter whether or not you learn to overcome a counterpick matchup. if you learn how to beat someone on neutral stages, you will win the set EVERY TIME. that's what i'm trying to get mw to do with my stages.

edit: also to samus can play aggressively and be successful just to let you know.
no she cant. hugS is the only samus who is in the upper echelon of competitive play in the US. if an aggressive playstyle would work, he would be using it. if you think aniki's style is aggressive (which i disagree with anyways) that doesnt mean it would be successful over here. US has a very different style than japan.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Wow. Is there really THAT much camping going on, and is it really THAT big a deal?

Undefined

Smash Apprentice
Wow. Is there really THAT much camping going on, and is it really THAT big a deal?
mw's skill is THAT big a deal, at least to me.

(oh and to answer your question straightforward, out of all the matches i saw and played involving players that weren't drephen, tink, cunning etc level, only one of them didnt involve camping or counterpicks to broken levels. that was my set with nickb. on the other ones i saw green greens, corneria and kongo jungle come out in full force along with laser camping, missle camping and turnip camping. and i cant believe im saying this, but pikachu camping.)

Undefined

Smash Apprentice
What happened to Wes? I'm pretty sure his samus is really agressive, and he is a top US player.
no he's not aggressive. and hes DEFINITELY not top 10.

Anyway, I usually don't camp with samus. I don't know if you noticed in our samus ditto, but I try to hold back on missiles.
at one point in the match all you did was double missle. and yes you did missle camp.

I don't usually pick stages to camp on, except corneria, and even then, I would never pick that level against a Fox, falco, doc, marth, or pikachu, so my choice is a bit low on when I can play that level. Even then I usually pick odd stages like DK64 or Mute city to throw off my opponents who only play on neutrals.
this is more proof. you rely on "odd stages" to get that 1 win, instead of working on the neutral levels and learning how to fight. you are a poster boy for what is happening to the midwest.

Undefined

Smash Apprentice
Explain how he isn't aggresive?
uhhhh watch his videos?

Rofl, I never double missile in real matches, and a MM is a real match.
you double missled.

I never said I rely on it, I said that that is what I counter pick. And if you are going to take it that way then I guess you rely on neutral stages to win.
you JUST SAID you use those counterpicks, not any other stages. only those. therefore you rely on them.

yes i rely on neutral stages. but there's nothing wrong with that because then that means i will win the first match and then win my counterpick. so i win the set 2-1. that's assuming im a better FIGHTER than my opponent, beccause if my opponent is better at fighting than i am he'll win on the neut stages, and thus beat me.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Rofl. Your trying to make a point that people can only win on certain stages and then say this?
That was not his point at all, from what i understand. His point is pretty clear. He wants the MW to be more than counter-pick dependent people who aren't working on what they should be to become better smashers.

But Mars, what are you getting at? The last few of your posts have been long versions of

"nu uh!"

What is your ultimate point? That nothing should be banned because people should know how to play on every level? Or that only SOME stages should be banned, so people know how to practice on playing on levels that are obviously bad for them? I'm sorry but i don't want to waste a bunch of hours trying to figure out how i can get the jump on fox in Onett, or how my ICs can work best on rainbow cruise. I'd rather get down more specific tech skill and speed that some of the other regions already have. What about you?

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
Let me just jump in here and say that I do believe wes is both aggressive and defensive. Sometimes he is unnecessarily aggressive, which is why he is not as good as he could be.

Just thought i would clear up what I said.

And yes, as of right now an aggressive samus is not as effective as a passive samus, which is why I play the way I do, and why I'm more successful as samus currently.

I wont get into the stage thing since I don't belong to this region.

Mars-

Smash Champion
Let me just jump in here and say that I do believe wes is both aggressive and defensive. Sometimes he is unnecessarily aggressive, which is why he is not as good as he could be.

And yes, as of right now an aggressive samus is not as effective as a passive samus, which is why I play the way I do, and why I'm more successful as samus currently.

Thank you hugS

Sliq

Smash Master

Please do get into the Stage debate, because regardless of where you are from, you are still a top smasher.

BIG C

Smash Master
ok here we go EC and WC really do not CP to stages other than neut 6. other than at last yr's mlgs because they ran out of neutral stages to pick. They know how to play htem because MW forced them to play them when they came to the MW for FC. that was the definition of the MW back in the day dirty campers who just CP to RC and PF and all those other stages, MW is starting to become that again and I don't really want to see hat happen.

I don't wanna ban everything but neut 6 because i don't think they are all that bad. I have lost and see other peaches lose on brinstar and mute city vs space animals it is definitely not an instant win. you know why it's not an instant win cuz fox and falco can just sit there and shoot lasers. rack up that damage and both stages do not have that high o ceilings so it's not that hard to kill.

as for green greens and JJ they are both very similar in structure with each other and MK2 which all favor camping the random occurences at the stage are also a factor in my decision against them. I personally love Peaches Castle but, I'm banning it because I know it's not a fair stage. The bombs and apples at GG are a lil too much and the bullet bill and buttons at peaches castle are the same thing. The water and klap trap on JJ are way too ridiculous give too much disadvantage to chrs and random deaths for the lose. which is why im generally considering mute city as another banned stage bcuz of the cars. The acid at brinstar is too easy to see coming so that does not work sirz.

The camera gets messed up at green greens as well. all the stages banned have random occurences that should not be the deciding factor in a game. when i go to WD onto the stage with a char i dont wanna have to worry about is there a klap trap coming or not. there is also the factor of camping the arwings also fro corneria , which are often off the camera not able to be seen. that's all the reasons i can come up wih for now I'll think of more and post up in kansas.

the justice has been distributed.

Mars-

Smash Champion
Okay I was watching the Old Guantlet videos and got this idea. Put all legal stages on random and all stages are picked randomly. That way you can get good stage knowledge(What I wanted) and not rely on counterpicks(What 5150 wanted).

Sliq

Smash Master
Okay I was watching the Old Guantlet videos and got this idea. Put all legal stages on random and all stages are picked randomly. That way you can get good stage knowledge(What I wanted) and not rely on counterpicks(What 5150 wanted).
This is worse. Where you high when you wrote it. This is also a joke, not a personal attack, so pleases don't flip out. Although this isn't a good idea.

Mars-

Smash Champion
Rofl what, is everyone afriad of my caps attacks now? I type in caps so people read what I wrote, not assume what I wrote.

Jazzness

Smash Ace
I agree with Big Charlez stage select on this one, except for one thing: some of the 'neutral' stages aren't 'neutral' with respect to size, stage hazards, and 'campability.'

Proposed Neutrals (MAY NOT BE BANNED!):
- Battlefield
- FD

The reason why I propose Yoshi's Story, DL 64 and FoD should be taken off random/neutral select is because many players use those stages as counter-pick stages (i.e. 'Peachland 64') to provide a greater advantage to their character.

My question is, 'Why have some counterpick stages on random/neutral and others not?'

For example's sake, let's assume we win 100% of our counterpick stages, and lose 100% of the opponent's counterpick. This demonstrates the importance of the first round's neutrality, since whoever wins the first round wins the set.

What the example also illustrates is the possibility of allowing ALL STAGES (yes, even banned stages) as counterpicks. Before saying that's a stupid idea, consider the basis on which you would compare one counterpick stage to another. How DOES one compare the campability of Peach's Castle and Corneria to the rising lava of Brinstar and the seal in Poke Floats that space animals drop through?

Of course, I'm only arguing for the modification of the neutral stage list, nothing more.

Thoughts?

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
idk i dont see the big deal with counterpicks unless it is in a round robin tournie, in which case my opinion is that there should be no counterpicking.

all that aside... trail is crazy and trail distributes justice on the neutrals all day long..... so stop being noobs and taking him to all these fruity boat and flying pokemon stages. lawl.

anyone who beats me 3rd game on those things all i have to say to you is ... wow gj...... i gave you the match rofl.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Mars,

I don't want to get into a page worth of mouth diarrhea, so i'll make this quick.

If you want your opinion to be taken seriously and you want people to think you actually have premeditated posts instead of running on caps power, then you might want to show good sportsmanship by not deleting all your posts so that they might not be quoted later.

That is all.

Undefined

Smash Apprentice
idk i dont see the big deal with counterpicks unless it is in a round robin tournie, in which case my opinion is that there should be no counterpicking.
the major purpose is to get mw better on neutrals, where it counts, instead of "gay boaty" or w/e u called it lol.

I agree with Big Charlez stage select on this one, except for one thing: some of the 'neutral' stages aren't 'neutral' with respect to size, stage hazards, and 'campability.'

Proposed Neutrals (MAY NOT BE BANNED!):
- Battlefield
- FD

The reason why I propose Yoshi's Story, DL 64 and FoD should be taken off random/neutral select is because many players use those stages as counter-pick stages (i.e. 'Peachland 64') to provide a greater advantage to their character.

My question is, 'Why have some counterpick stages on random/neutral and others not?'

For example's sake, let's assume we win 100% of our counterpick stages, and lose 100% of the opponent's counterpick. This demonstrates the importance of the first round's neutrality, since whoever wins the first round wins the set.

What the example also illustrates is the possibility of allowing ALL STAGES (yes, even banned stages) as counterpicks. Before saying that's a stupid idea, consider the basis on which you would compare one counterpick stage to another. How DOES one compare the campability of Peach's Castle and Corneria to the rising lava of Brinstar and the seal in Poke Floats that space animals drop through?

Of course, I'm only arguing for the modification of the neutral stage list, nothing more.

Thoughts?
originally, jazzness, u may have rememberd. me and drew's stage list was fd and bf. but you run into too many problems with only 2 stages on random. besides that, having ps, dl64, and fd on random is an equal balance and is waht i am doing for Tiers Don't Exist I: Quad-Nair (thread will be up in tourney disc soon)

look at these 3 stages:
fd has no platforms
ps has low platforms
dl64 has high platforms

fd has a medium sized ceiling/deathbox
ps has a low ceiling
dl64 has a high ceiling

they all balance each other out pretty well, no one is really polarized by them (battlefield haters need not apply, lol), and you dont run into the problems w/ only 2 stages on random

Mars-

Smash Champion
Mars,

I don't want to get into a page worth of mouth diarrhea, so i'll make this quick.

If you want your opinion to be taken seriously and you want people to think you actually have premeditated posts instead of running on caps power, then you might want to show good sportsmanship by not deleting all your posts so that they might not be quoted later.

That is all.
Rofl, everyone was taking all of my post the wrong way, so I made them into shorter messages that people can understand. I'm also sure you can find all of my posts have most likely been quoted.

<3 Zjiin btw

5150, I see your point, I know what you are saying about neutrals, but if you really want to get the point across then maybe you should point that out when you are playing somebody instead of by banning the stages. I agree with you that learning to play on neutral stages is not a choice, and I think you don't understand that. But you have to understand where I am coming from too. If somebody counter picks corneria or dk64 because I won the first match, I would rather beat them 2-0 then risk losing the set because I don't know how to fight on non-neutral stages.

Trail, you shouldn't be talking anything about gayness, you play Ice Climbers. Lol, I jokes, I jokes.

Big C, I will try to come no matter what the rules are, just because I would rather get experience playing then no experience not playing. And it is a nice thing to go to a well run tournament once and a while (SG!!!).

Anyway, I'm done arguing over this. I don't want to end up doing/saying something I might regret later.

P.S. Crashman if you read this, I asked for your help on aim and you blocked me because I said you weren't the best samus. If you don't want to help me then I don't want your help. I can always talk to somebody like HugS or Wes (I have both of them on my AIM buddy list), and talk to THE BEST, not somebody who cries because they aren't the best. You should have felt good that somebody would even try to get help from you, not get all mad because they said you aren't the best.

RapE

Smash Ace
just ban every stage and instead have a paper rock scissors tourney

~AS Money

Top Bottom