• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hubert is insanely overpowered.

YiffyBaro

Smash Cadet
ATTENTION: THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT HUBERT.

You know the kids today. Always talking about how they are great with MK and Snake. As for the people who aren't, they just talk about how broken MK and Snake are. Hell, even Falco gets called broken now and again thanks to his chaingrab to a spike.

But honestly now... what could be more broken than alternating throws going across the stage (and back, if you'd like) and ending in a spike?

I play as Ice Climbers BECAUSE of the throwing broken-ness. As many techniques in Melee showed us, no matter how hard it is to do, if it is at all possible to be done 100% of the time, there will be SOMEONE to master it, and everyone else will follow suit just to keep up with competition.

There are people that call chain grabs broken. You can say that if you'd like, but they pale in comparison to alternating throws. You see, chain grabs are limited by the length of the stage, don't combo into a guaranteed death, cannot be done on every character. Well, how about Dedede's infinite grab? Sure, it can go 0% to death, but it can only be done on a select few characteres.

Alternating throws on the other hand... well... I think you get the idea.

Now, it is automatic to say that none of us can do alternating throws perfectly. Then again, the metagame is young. As time goes on, there WILL be someone to be the master of the alternating throws. The one who will get 0% to death EVERY TIME. It could be any of us.

When that time comes, I must ask all of you. When someone masters alternating throws, what will become of our beloved Ice Climbers? Some people say that the only way to stand a chance against MK or Snake is to play as them. However, the only way to break out of perfectly performed alternating throws would be if you had Nana to bail you out. This, more than anything, would make people want to ban the Ice Climbers.

Because the only way you can break out of alternate throws is to be Ice Climbers yourself, that just means the majority of players will have to pick Ice Climbers to play against the minority who can alternate throws.

I don't think I have to explain why this would break the whole game...

As a final note of comparison, as soon as Meta Knight's infinite dimensional cape was discovered, it set off a huge chain reaction of controversy. But as for alternating throws... no such drama. People of course went ahead to say just ban the infinite cape, but with Ice Climber throw combos, there is so much variety, it's hard to say what to ban other than the entire character.

Now, I don't expect the IC to be banned anytime soon, but the day our champion of alternating throws emerges... get ready for some radical changes in tournament results.

(PS: As for anyone that hates alternating throws enough to want them banned, I suggest you start practicing IC. Then you can go to a tourney with a huge tournout and show them your moves. The sooner the public sees that someone has mastered alernating throws, the sooner they get banned. If you hate them that much, you better put it upon yourself to be the one to get it banned. Wouldn't that be an honor?)

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Kill Nana, Don't get grabbed, No johns, blah blah blah. -_-;

If someone loses to a player that runs around the stage grabbing randomly, they deserved to lose.

Miles.

Smash Champion
For 2 reasons.

No one is that good/consistent yet.

and

You have to grab them.

Also on a side note,

Do you suck?

YiffyBaro

Smash Cadet
I main Ice Climbers. I like to think I am pretty good at 0% to death alternating throws... although in reality it's about 40% consistency.

And duh, no one is that consistent yet.

But because it is remotely possible to be that consistent, it WILL happen. And when it does... I want him/her to have my babies.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
They have such a pathetic grab range that pretty much anyone, even Captain Falcon, can outspace them.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I'm confident that the ICs won't ever be good enough to deserve being banned. They had wobbling in Melee and were arguably better at getting grabs then, yet they were still outclassed by Fox, Marth, Sheik, and company. An amazing grab game alone doesn't make a character broken.

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
There is a difference between using chaingrabs and relying on chaingrabs, and the ones who rely on it should learn not to.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Once IC's are seperated (Which can & will happen very often) you're CG method is screwed. Granted, You can do all kinds of desynch methods with different variation's of attacks in the meantime. Which may beneit you greatly. It might not though. IC's are a complex character to me. It would take a very sitiuationally adapted player to make them a "Broken" character. Not saying that would be impossible. Just highly unlikely.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Close this thread before another massacre starts?

No, they should not be banned.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Since when does grabbing guarantee a kill? At 300%, Uthrow kills but you'll be dead before than. If a person gets CGed, it's their fault for allowing the ICs to CG them. Also killing the other climber isn't hard since they're ********, thus stopping the IC from CGing.

Can someone explain this better than me?

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Since when does grabbing guarantee a kill? At 300%, Uthrow kills but you'll be dead before than. If a person gets CGed, it's their fault for allowing the ICs to CG them. Also killing the other climber isn't hard since they're ********, thus stopping the IC from CGing.

Can someone explain this better than me?
He means 0 to Death chains in a grab...not doing one UpThrow and killing the other person. z.z

If you're a good Ice Climbers, one grab should already be a lost stock. =X Well...not exactly, because no one is that consistent, but you should be at least able to 0 to Death.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Yeah I suck at explaining things... :*(

Basically, it is your fault for getting grabbed in the first place. End?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
lol, just don't get grabbed, they grab range isn't that big to get grabbed and it's easier to spilt the two Ice Climbers apart. And plus you have to be very timeful when you do that chain grab to kill someone from a low percent to death. But yea, you can't ban a trick when it has a big weakness, you have to have two Ice Climbers, you must time the grabs perfectly to work or your foe will get out of it, they grab range is too poor and too predictable, chracters that have spamming projectiles is almost impossible to use that grab for the win if keep flinching to those attacks, (Samus, Pit, Falco, etc).

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Are they really inuit? Cause they don't look like the inuits in Canada here...

CGing causes you to sell your heart to the devil. No lies =P

K 2

Smash Lord
If you have the skill to chaingrab all the characters from zero to death (including accounting for weight variations), and if you manage to land a grab with IC's mediocre grab range, you deserve to win. If someone sucks as spacing enough that they actually get grabbed by IC(especially for people with disjointed hitboxes), they deserve to lose.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Wow, guys, you can't ban the Ice Climbers just cause they have CG's. These grabs are so hard to pull of and rarely go from 0-Death (not talking about Hylian's case). Meta Knight is getting banned because of his recovery and speed. Ice Climbers don't have any of that. All they have are Cg's as a way for the to rack up damage instead of being able to mindlessly spam attacks at the opponent.

If you guys think Ice Climbers are broken, verse a good MK like Dojo and understand the true concept of brokenness.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
If you have the skill to chaingrab all the characters from zero to death (including accounting for weight variations), and if you manage to land a grab with IC's mediocre grab range, you deserve to win. If someone sucks as spacing enough that they actually get grabbed by IC(especially for people with disjointed hitboxes), they deserve to lose.

but you can't just base you're entire playing style on CGs. thats why so many new ICs get *** *****: because all they do is try and go for the grab instead of actually fighting. yes, if you can get the grab good for you, but otherwise, don't try and go out of your way to land the grab because all thats going to happen is you (ICs) getting *****.

YiffyBaro

Smash Cadet
You guys are kind of missing the point.

I don't want the Ice Climbers to get banned.

HOWEVER, when someone emerges as the champion of chain grabs that can do alternating throws 100% of the time, I believe the Ice Climbers will recieve a ban in some form or another. Be it just alternating throws banned, the character altogether banned, or "only banned at this tourney after someone uses them too well".

And DemonicTrilogy, to a perfect Ice Climbers player, IC CGs are not a way to rack up damage. They are a way to bring the opponent down one stock. If you grab them, they WILL die at the end of the combo.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
You are wrong, CGing racks up damage, you can not use CGing to kill a person since CGing means you chain grabs.

Also I CGed a person to 20%... Does that make your statement "they WILL die at the end of the combo." true? No. 0.o

Minato

穏やかじゃない
IC shouldn't be banned. If they were ban material, they'd be top tier and overused wouldn't they?

Rykard

Smash Ace
this is like dumb and should no longer be argued. if there were to be a ban itd be just like the 5 grab limit, which wouldnt matter anyways cause iceys would still kick your a**

Switch FC
SW 1721 4573 3132
I lose my battles usually because of low %, and the Ice Climbers can grab to a spike, or an infinite ice block, other things, many people main Ice Climbers because of their skill to instant kill characters, killing Nana is winning only half the battle.

There are many people hating the Ice Climbers on what they have, it's just a complaint to me.

Shred_kid

Smash Cadet
This thread is ridiculous. They are not broken. They are very goods in the hands of people who know how to use them. You probably will get grabbed. That's a fact. It doesn't deserve a ban.

Please lock this thread

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
easier said then done
actuallly it is almost that easy lol. you don't even have to focus on kill Nana first, just keep her away from Popo. and if you lose to someone spamming grab thats on you.

This thread is ridiculous. They are not broken. They are very goods in the hands of people who know how to use them. You probably will get grabbed. That's a fact. It doesn't deserve a ban.

Please lock this thread
lol if the mods haven't come in to lock it now might as well not worry about it and just ignore it.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
they aren't broken, just cheap. if all your opponent is doing is spamming grabs then you should be able to punish them. ICs don't have a good grab range.

YiffyBaro

Smash Cadet
No reason to rely on grabbing the opponent anyway. Fight like usual, and when they're open, BOOM THEY LOSE A STOCK NO MATTER THEIR PERCENT HURHUR.

Top Bottom